Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Exclusive Interview with VR's Corey "Ceythos" LeFever

• 3016 posts
    February 18, 2018 1:32 PM PST

Mathir said:

Vaad said:

Mathir, to some degree there is going to be tedium, at what point do you think it would be OK for repetition and when wouldnt it?

Fine with tedium and grinding crafting writs to level.  To an extent.  But, in terms of leveling, I'm not sure there is another way around it.  The way EQ2 and Vanguard did leveling in crafting, I'm fine with.  What killed me in those games was the subcombines when making things like backpacks or spell scrolls in EQ2 (where you had to do a ton of steps to get the right quality ink, paper, etc...).  I'm even fine with doing all that for a powerful item because it makes sense that it needs subcomponents and you have to learn how to do it.  My issue is that there was no option to mass produce trivial items.  Sure, the mini-game due to skill level and gear allowed you to zip through trivial component crafting, but I'd rather have a more challenging option of the mini game to mass produce component parts than to keep doing subcombines for hours on end just to make fifty backpacks, especially with a minigame that no longer requires strategy or presents risk due to skill level.  That's just tedium at that point.  Especially if I have to do a hundred sub combines to create twenty backpacks.  Need to be able to mass produce those buckles and iron bits.  If the ability to mass produce takes a long time to unlock, I'm fine with that.  As long as I can get to it eventually.  If the ability to mass produce makes all created items bind on pickup so I can't sell the subcomponents, I'm fine with that, as long as I can still sell the main final product.  I loved VG crafting, it was a fun soloable activity that was challenging at times.  I loved VG diplomacy for the same reason.  The only time I didn't like VG crafting was when I was trying to outfit my 100 man guild with backpacks and other items, it just became way too tedious due to the bazillion and trivial subcombines that seemed to do nothing but take up massive amounts of time.

I think after you have accomplished the "bits and pieces"  components..to the point you no longer get skillups or credit for those bits and pieces, the game should allow mass production of those minor parts,  you did after all earn that..in my view.   Its the larger parts that should take more effort and time to finally produce the completed product.     I'm a crafter for the most part and understand the frustration with the fails on even the tiny bits..delaying you accomplishing the more important parts of the product you are aiming at.     I hoard and harvest to the extreme sometimes,  in order to get to the main part of the crafting.   I appreciate time spent...but more so for the final, finished product.  :)

• 3016 posts
    February 18, 2018 1:39 PM PST

oooh he mentioned carpentry...and "possible" player housing,  boats.   Yeah..(remembering Vanguard)  :)

• 2886 posts
    February 19, 2018 3:39 AM PST

disposalist said:

EDIT: Haha! I posted that before the video ended and there's the after-titles dog intro!  Nice to see Arthos! (was it, Arthos? Arthus? Arfus?).

Haha, it's Arfus :) And he actually has two dogs! I just didn't get a shot of the other one.

• 2886 posts
    February 19, 2018 3:58 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

LOL, what?  I always imagined Bazgrim was an old dude.  I guess I got that from him playing dwarves, maybe.  Anyway, thanks Bazgrim, and thanks Ceythos, for the new information.  Let's have a Joppa interview next, please.

EDIT:  Also, nice to see that confirmation from Ceythos that Colored Mana is not dead.  Sounds like it's going to be implemented the way it was described in that 3/2016 stream, though, rather than the whole Colored Mana Specialization thing.

Lol I am indeed not old, but I like to pretend to be :P I am in fact trying to pin down Joppa, but he is a rare spawn. Fortunately I am leveling up my tracking skill, but we shall see. I was really glad Ceythos mentioned colored mana. Basically what he said off-air was that it is definitely not scrapped. They are still working on it, but there is still too many unknowns and too much still up in the air to talk about it much.

Thanks for watching Shuck!

• 201 posts
    February 19, 2018 8:27 AM PST

Loved everything about VG crafting.  Everything.  The time required, the gear, the complications, the factions, the grind to get rare special recipes, deconstruction, dusts, etc etc etc.  There were things that could use tweaking, but overall it was easily the best crafting system to date.  I am surprised to hear someone describe it the way they did here, since I do not remember it at all in that way.  I was a max level armorer and made quite a bit of incredible stuff.  It was certainly not punitive, although it was challenging and required enough commitment to keep it rare at the top, as it should be.

• 2886 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:28 AM PST

Xbachs said:

You know what? I'm pissed. This is absolutely not cool. I mean seriously, Corey has a totally badass PRF shirt and I'm sitting here wearing a stupid polo. Where is my badass PRF shirt? So mad...

If it makes you feel any better, Corey told me that there are still a few remote team members that don't even have a Pantheon shirt yet :P The few of us community members that managed to snag one just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully it is a good omen that I will get lucky with rare loot in-game too lol

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 19, 2018 9:28 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:50 AM PST

Mathir said:

Solid questions.  Would have liked for you to inquire more about the status of the crafting mini-game.  Specifically, if there are past games they are greatly planning on borrowing the concept from (Vanguard for example, specifically complications, limited action points, upgradeable tools, etc...).  And, of course, have they started any work on the implementation of that mini-game yet.  Or, is it still completely in the theoretical design stage.  

I did like the broad strokes of the information that was discussed.  There was some additional information revealed, so that's always nice.  I hope you can do this again.

Corey and I had so much fun with this interview, we agreed that we will definitely have to do it again sometime. So as soon as there is another good chunk of new crafting info that's ready to be discussed, I'll try to corner him and get him to talk again lol. But of course not sure when that will be.

Thanks for your feedback :)

• 120 posts
    February 19, 2018 10:03 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Xbachs said:

You know what? I'm pissed. This is absolutely not cool. I mean seriously, Corey has a totally badass PRF shirt and I'm sitting here wearing a stupid polo. Where is my badass PRF shirt? So mad...

If it makes you feel any better, Corey told me that there are still a few remote team members that don't even have a Pantheon shirt yet :P The few of us community members that managed to snag one just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully it is a good omen that I will get lucky with rare loot in-game too lol

I feel obliged to inform the team that they are missing out on some easy profit by not offering swag items to the public. There was a thread about this already, so I wont say much except that you can outsource 95% of the work, and that in the long term the free advertising and name recognition is worth far more than the 35% you earn on each prchase. There will be a swag store eventually, so you might as well get a jump on it and try to build some early momentum.

• 134 posts
    February 19, 2018 2:16 PM PST

They should totally sell us shirts. I'd buy some.

Wish there was more discussed other than crafting though. Oh well.

• 2886 posts
    February 20, 2018 3:43 AM PST

Dhampir said:

They should totally sell us shirts. I'd buy some.

Wish there was more discussed other than crafting though. Oh well.

They will eventually have a store with shirts and stuff. But currently the profit margin is not wide enough to be worth their time while Pre-Alpha is much more important. And unfortunately outsourcing is not necessarily the solution.

Anyway, more on topic, I focused on crafting in this interview because Corey's primary responsibility as a dev is the crafting system. There's a lot of people that are excited about Pantheon's crafting system and Corey is the one to talk about that. Unfortunately, he can't really speak much to other aspect's of the game. But I will definitely be trying to track down some other devs soon to discuss other features.

• 801 posts
    February 20, 2018 3:47 AM PST

Good job Bazgrim... Keeping the fanbase up to date on many topics. How long have you been gaming? you looked rather young to know so much. Maybe a great interviewer in the works? good job either way.

• 2886 posts
    February 20, 2018 4:34 AM PST

Crazzie said:

Good job Bazgrim... Keeping the fanbase up to date on many topics. How long have you been gaming? you looked rather young to know so much. Maybe a great interviewer in the works? good job either way.

Thanks Crazzie! I was born into a gaming family, so it's in my blood. I started gaming when I was 5, so... almost two decades now.

• 287 posts
    February 20, 2018 9:44 PM PST
    Great stuff! Thank you for posting that. Look forward to more of these in the future.
    • 2886 posts
    February 21, 2018 10:02 AM PST

bryanleo9 said: Great stuff! Thank you for posting that. Look forward to more of these in the future.

Glad to hear it! I recently confirmed two more dev interviews that should be coming out within the next couple months... So stay tuned! :)