Forums » The Ogres

What? (Concept Art)

    • 67 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:36 PM PST

    Ok, I haven't found any discussion talking about it, so I am forced to. Look at this man.

    Look at his left hand. Look reeeeeeal close. What is up with that hand? Is it a sick, hook claw, are ogres a race with one proper hand? Is it a prosthetic, did this ogre become crippled in combat and decided to fashion a claw made from bone to the stump? Is the claw signifiantly bulkier than it appears, and it's simply a weapon with an ogre's meaty paw cunningly disguised within?

    I am fairly certain it is the last, but the proportions of his right hand and the perspective (and stance) of the whole body makes me pause and consider that there isn't room for an ogre-sized fist to be gripping that amalgamation of bone, leather, and cloth. The way his biceps are not tensed on the left arms tells me he is, at best, loosely gripping it if it's a weapon, and the straps on the cloth makes it appear that it's intended to not be easily removed.

    What is up with this man's left hand VR? Ogres demand to know!


    This post was edited by Darchias at February 12, 2018 12:40 PM PST
    • 4252 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:49 PM PST

    Haha I think it's some sort of hand-to-hand weapon and his real hand is wrapped in that blueish cloth, which is attached to the bones - so basically it's a punching weapon with his hand inside it. I wouldn't look into the details that close though... it is just concept art after all haha :)

    • 1179 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:26 PM PST

    Yeah, I figured it was a hand-to-hand weapon also, though I guess It could be a prosthetic.  I'm really pleased with the ogre concept art and the ogres we've seen in the streams, though.  I don't have any complaints at all.

     

    EDIT:  Spelling fail, which is immortalized in the quote below.  =(


    This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 13, 2018 2:01 AM PST
    • 508 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:50 PM PST

    I completely agree, Shucklighter.  I think the Pantheon ogre model is about the best in any game to date.  I will miss the classic EQ butt scratchers though.   

    • 4252 posts
    February 12, 2018 4:11 PM PST

    Shucklighter said:

    Yeah, I figured it was a hand-to-hand weapon also, though I guess It could be a prostethic.  I'm really pleased with the ogre concept art and the ogres we've seen in the streams, though.  I don't have any complaints at all.

    Agreed. It looks even better in streams... where, by the way, we can see that most Ogres do in fact have two hands haha :) Concept art truly is just a concept.

    • 67 posts
    February 12, 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm loving the Ogre. A lot. I just want answers. You guys have told me Ogres seen in streams have two hands. This answers my most pressing concern. Now most of my questions are just, 'what in the name of Rothuk is that weapon.' It's... really strange.

    • 278 posts
    February 14, 2018 9:08 PM PST

    Anomaly of the concept art, haha. Our Ogres are not half lobster.


    This post was edited by Istuulamae at February 14, 2018 9:08 PM PST
    • 219 posts
    July 26, 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    Think I like this ogre the best so far.

    Image result for pantheon rise of the fallen concept art

    • 1561 posts
    July 26, 2019 4:39 PM PDT

    For more equity, should I add this one ?

     

    • 219 posts
    July 29, 2019 1:20 PM PDT

    That one, to me, looks more like an orc (at least in other games). I'm not sure what it is, but when I saw it, that was my first thought.

    • 1561 posts
    July 29, 2019 10:51 PM PDT

    That was an ogre female leaked by kilsin about a year ago so... I can guarantee you it's an ogre concept art. The orcs on terminus have way more thick skulls.

    • 219 posts
    July 30, 2019 6:36 AM PDT

    MauvaisOeil said:

    That was an ogre female leaked by kilsin about a year ago so... I can guarantee you it's an ogre concept art. The orcs on terminus have way more thick skulls.

    I believe it. I'm not sure what I think is missing or should be different, honestly. Went back to the newsletter here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_april_from_concept_to_model/ ; The orcs have a gorilla-like build and I can definitely see the larger brow. Don't know, just something doesn't seem quite right. The ogre bodies should be massive, but I don't think that means they should look like they compete as professional body builders. I guess that's one reason I like the red ogre. He's not a Schwarzenegger wannabe. The first ogre pictured in this thread, imo, has a head that's too small for his body. He also has a sunken brow, more akin to the orcs. I don't know. Will chew on it and see if I can add something reasonable and specific later.

    • 596 posts
    July 30, 2019 6:36 AM PDT

    @Percipiens - that is because it looks just like the D&D half-orcs:
    4e

    • 219 posts
    July 30, 2019 7:30 AM PDT

    @Darch Yeah, that might be it. Course, in all the pictures, the ogres look like some stage of human/ogre evolution (not faulting anyone, btw, just saying). Will think on it some more.

    • 1561 posts
    July 30, 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    I don't feel the same, D&D half orcs are thinner built, with barely "fit" human bodies and size.

     

    The show ogres are much different in shape, especially the Direlord art which present a triangular shape and a belly. The female is less on the fat side, however she still a little belly even if less massive than it's counterpart.

     

    The first art however, look a bit more orcish, even if it's what made me enjoy them at first glance, I just hope their average height remain BIG (not double as humans but at least 50% taller) to keep them on a different scale entirely.

    • 2360 posts
    July 30, 2019 11:26 AM PDT

    They seem fine to me, they just aren't going D&D style Ogre and that's fine.

     

    In reality the folklore of ogres most often depicts them as giant humans (not too disimilar from giants) that eat normal humans. 

    • 219 posts
    July 31, 2019 8:41 AM PDT

    MauvaisOeil said:

    I don't feel the same, D&D half orcs are thinner built, with barely "fit" human bodies and size.

     

    The show ogres are much different in shape, especially the Direlord art which present a triangular shape and a belly. The female is less on the fat side, however she still a little belly even if less massive than it's counterpart.

     

    The first art however, look a bit more orcish, even if it's what made me enjoy them at first glance, I just hope their average height remain BIG (not double as humans but at least 50% taller) to keep them on a different scale entirely.

    I agree. Again, ogres should be massive in stature as well as girth. The triangular shaped body might very well be one of the features I find appealing. It makes sense to me that huge beings would consume large quantities of food and drink and probably not have access to BMI information and body sculpting tech. So those beings most likely wouldn't have perfectly sculpted physiques (and probably wouldn't care, as long as they fought well).

    Iksar said:

    They seem fine to me, they just aren't going D&D style Ogre and that's fine.

    In reality the folklore of ogres most often depicts them as giant humans (not too disimilar from giants) that eat normal humans. 

    Yeah, this may be part of it, too. The first ogre pictured in this thread...I keep thinking "swole wizard" (thanks, @stellarmind!). The dire lord picture, to me, looks more like a giant human, as you said. The first pic and the female pic look more like human/orc/something else hybrids. I can't find it now, but I do remember one of the VR folks saying that Pantheon's ogres were not the typical dummies. They were more intelligent and savvy. I think that's something else I like about the dire lord representation. The first and female pic (the first one, especially) don't really scream 'smarter' to me, just more of a pure brutish, savage look.

    • 2360 posts
    July 31, 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    Percipiens said:

    I can't find it now, but I do remember one of the VR folks saying that Pantheon's ogres were not the typical dummies. They were more intelligent and savvy. I think that's something else I like about the dire lord representation. The first and female pic (the first one, especially) don't really scream 'smarter' to me, just more of a pure brutish, savage look.

    It's in their race lore:

    With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

    Many see them as brutes or savages as they look the part and most races have very limited experience with them, but there is far more to the book than the cover. Tactical, cautious, considerate before action, none of these are traits of brutes. 

    • 219 posts
    July 31, 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    Thanks for that. So much reading and re-reading, it sometimes runs together. In the first pic, the ogre has this dull look about him, like maybe all the lights aren't on. The female pic, I get the impression that she's just selling snake oil. Kind of a 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain' thing. Really sounds like I'm just whining and I'm trying not to. Just trying to put my finger on what it would take to make these massive creatures inspire fear and loathing on more than just a physical level with their appearance.

    • 2360 posts
    July 31, 2019 2:08 PM PDT

    Hard to really convey that kind of thing in a game. In reality their size alone would inspire terror, combine that with deep booming voices and intelligent tactical warfare and most humans would wet themselves at the sight of them, if not at first sight then when they watched one rip a person in half. 

    • 1561 posts
    July 31, 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    Iksar said:

    Hard to really convey that kind of thing in a game. In reality their size alone would inspire terror, combine that with deep booming voices and intelligent tactical warfare and most humans would wet themselves at the sight of them, if not at first sight then when they watched one rip a person in half. 

     

    Pretty much. Games must be balanced, while in a "reality", a race so tall and strong would simply dominate oponents from the other races due to beeing more fitted for battle.