Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Playing PRF on a Mac with dual-boot Windows

• 25 posts
    February 11, 2018 8:31 AM PST

Has anyone thought of this or done this?  I'm curious as to how it would perform?  Here are the specs for the Mac:

• 2.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 512GB SSD storage
    • Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory
    • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Backlit Keyboard - US English

What do you guys think, would this be smooth and effective?

• 557 posts
    February 11, 2018 2:01 PM PST

Heya, TripleD.

I assume from your RAM that your machine is a MacBook Pro.

I would hazard to guess that as long as you dual boot and don't try to play using Parallels or VMware Fusion, that you should be fine.

I have a much older iMac with the following specs.

3.4 GHz quad 3rd gen i7-3770
    32 GB 1500 MHz DDR3
    512GB SSD Storage
    Nvidia GTX 680MX 2GB
    Dual 27 inch 2560x1440 displays

Knowing that Pantheon is being built with Unity, I've been playing two current Unity engine games that are beta:   Subnautica and Empyrion.   Both perform reasonably well on my ageing system.  Beta game clients typically have a lot of extra debug code and have not been optimized for final release.  One potential difference between Pantheon and a game like Subnautica will be the multi-player aspects.  My video card is probably going to cry on launch with tons of noobs running around casting spells.  

I'm sure there are PC gamers out there who will tell you that your machine bites if it's not running a GTX 1080 Ti or a Radeon Pro Vega 64.  Not everyone needs a workstation quality graphics card like the Vega or gaming screamer like 1080 Ti  It's all about expectations, budget and what else you do with your computer.  "Unfortunately", my current system is still smoking fast for the type of work I do to keep the lights on.  I was trying really hard to justify a new machine.  In fact, I just tore it open to clean out 5 years of dust and ordered another 512GB PCIe SSD so I can run more virtual machines.  It looks pretty sad at the moment.  It is temporarily held together with green painter's masking tape until the drive and a tape kit arrive.

I have no plans to upgrade for at least another year.  By then I should have first hand experience with Pantheon and be in a position to make more informed decisions about possible purchases.

This post was edited by Celandor at February 12, 2018 6:33 AM PST
    • 201 posts
    February 21, 2018 6:47 AM PST

The Computer specs are fine minus the Graphics card,  a 560(and guessing it's a underclocked version) might struggle a little bit.  It might not be a bad machine to hop on and do casual stuff.  But it isn't going to run anything top notch.