Forums » General Guild Discussion

Guild Applications

• 898 posts
    February 9, 2018 6:16 AM PST

I've been using a google form for our guild application and wanted to see if anyone had another option worth looking into outside the generic guild sites out there?

• 501 posts
    February 9, 2018 1:12 PM PST

Heya, Saicred.

A lot depends on what kind of process you expect to have on the back end.  Does your guild have some sort of online workflow for accepting new members?   Do you just collect the form input and copy/paste it for discussion into a member or officer-only forum?  Does the form just get converted to an email?  Do you want something more formal?

A lot of the generic 3rd party online form services lean more towards surveying and as a thin veil to collect contact information for marketing.  Their back-end tools are more about comparing results from various submissions and managing lists.  I haven't seen anything that has a solid built-in method for processing applicants in a guild sense - other than specific guild tools, which you excluded in your request.

• 898 posts
    February 9, 2018 1:27 PM PST

Celandor said:

Heya, Saicred.

A lot depends on what kind of process you expect to have on the back end.  Does your guild have some sort of online workflow for accepting new members?   Do you just collect the form input and copy/paste it for discussion into a member or officer-only forum?  Does the form just get converted to an email?  Do you want something more formal?

A lot of the generic 3rd party online form services lean more towards surveying and as a thin veil to collect contact information for marketing.  Their back-end tools are more about comparing results from various submissions and managing lists.  I haven't seen anything that has a solid built-in method for processing applicants in a guild sense - other than specific guild tools, which you excluded in your request.

Thanks for the questions. As of now our guild is open to all. Only vetting is done by me and most of this is through a little investigation and chat with the person who applied. Once we get closer to release this will change, but not worried so much about people coming in and out of the guild at this point as a lot will change for folks by the time we hit release. 

I guess I'll have to define what I need long term to figure out what solution I need to come up with. :)  Who knows what all might be available in game though for us to use for App's. The site is really just for showing off the guild and members, but I'll look to manage it in game. 

• 224 posts
    February 13, 2018 7:42 AM PST

If you have some sort of forum backend to your guild's site,  I've always used them as the actual application.  Have a format they need to repost and a lot of times existing members can spark some nice questions up for the new users.  Let's you get to know the new users a lot more before judging them.

• 898 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:04 PM PST

Rivacom said:

If you have some sort of forum backend to your guild's site,  I've always used them as the actual application.  Have a format they need to repost and a lot of times existing members can spark some nice questions up for the new users.  Let's you get to know the new users a lot more before judging them.

Not bad, Thank you for that. I may have to consider that as well. 

Btw I'm almost done with the CSS I'll send you a link to the test page soon to review and see if you like it for the pantheon guild reddit site. 

• 659 posts
    February 20, 2018 3:11 AM PST

Saicred said:

Rivacom said:

Btw I'm almost done with the CSS I'll send you a link to the test page soon to review and see if you like it for the pantheon guild reddit site. 

Best form of application? Team Speak, hop in get to know them and volla invited. Looking for button mashers? then by all means keep using forms. A simple form does the trick to get them to you, but a nice 1 on 1 does the trick. Word of mouth goes a long way, so does personal interviews. 2 minutes out of your time.

• 224 posts
    February 21, 2018 6:31 AM PST

Crazzie said:

Saicred said:

Rivacom said:

Best form of application? Team Speak, hop in get to know them and volla invited. Looking for button mashers? then by all means keep using forms. A simple form does the trick to get them to you, but a nice 1 on 1 does the trick. Word of mouth goes a long way, so does personal interviews. 2 minutes out of your time.

We've done both in the past but for example when we ran our SWTOR team we have a community of 10+ new people a day.  It was better to weed out initial applicants first and than interview them.

• 898 posts
    February 21, 2018 6:34 AM PST

Rivacom said: 

We've done both in the past but for example when we ran our SWTOR team we have a community of 10+ new people a day.  It was better to weed out initial applicants first and than interview them.

Exactly what we are looking to do. For now the application is open, but as we move forward voice meet and greets are to be required. The forms simply help us weed out some, and also give us a platform in which to start the conversation. 

• 659 posts
    March 16, 2018 5:52 PM PDT

Rivacom said:

Crazzie said:

Saicred said:

Rivacom said:

True true but dont be doing all this work on your own, let yourself use some of the others such as lorekeepers etc to help recruit and monitor members. If they join in TS just have someone else do it while you focus on the guild. So keep using your form of input to get the member to you. Dont burden them by applications just yet. Once you get to meet them ask them the various questions you would on the forum to get an idea of the game player they are. Simple worded answers may not deplict the persons real behaviour.

Just saying a resume is never the ideal way to know someone.

• 503 posts
    April 3, 2018 5:16 PM PDT
    It comes down to how structured you want to be. If you only want specific people and classes and such then you will need strict recruitment periods. If you are like me than anything goes and as long as they dont have access to the guild bank its a non issue.
    • 33 posts
    September 1, 2018 11:53 AM PDT

Our guild doesn't use an application process for new members. You typically sign up for the forums that we have and are accepted in at a minor level. Once they read through the material there and join us in game we can quickly weed out the people who "get along" with us and those who aren't a good fit for the core. The only time we have ever used a regimented application was EVE Online, where you needed to vet players prior to taking out billions of isk in ships with them.