Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Please no name changes!

This topic has been closed.
    • 2 posts
    January 27, 2018 10:23 AM PST

One of the things I liked about EQ back in its early days was that your reputation meant something. If you KSed or Ninja looted or in general were just not pleasant to be around you built up a reputation and then groups were hard to come by. The community kept you honest and in check.

• 319 posts
    January 27, 2018 10:29 AM PST

Deth said:

One of the things I liked about EQ back in its early days was that your reputation meant something. If you KSed or Ninja looted or in general were just not pleasant to be around you built up a reputation and then groups were hard to come by. The community kept you honest and in check.

I agree. no name changes. That is just a way for buttholes to escape thier evil ways just to settle back into it under a new name

• 1281 posts
    January 27, 2018 10:41 AM PST

All someone had to do was re-roll a new toon.  Boom.  Name change.

• 2 posts
    January 27, 2018 10:55 AM PST

Kalok said:

You still lost all of the progress and since it took so long to get any significant amount of levels under your belt, rerolling was a pretty big deal.

• 1281 posts
    January 27, 2018 11:01 AM PST

Deth said:

Kalok said:

You still lost all of the progress and since it took so long to get any significant amount of levels under your belt, rerolling was a pretty big deal.

Yes, I am aware of that.  But many still did it.

• 1860 posts
    January 27, 2018 12:10 PM PST

Which is fine.  I'm in favor of giving people a second chance but there should be consequences, like having to start over.

This post was edited by philo at January 27, 2018 12:30 PM PST
    • 430 posts
    January 27, 2018 12:27 PM PST

As others have mentioned they could simply delete the toon and start over . I understand what your meaning about reputation  but I think thats another good revenue for Pantheon . (besides if you report Mister boogangles and he pays to rename himself sister susie and is still a arse , I am very sure Pantheon knows mister boogangles is sister susie...) 

This post was edited by Shea at January 27, 2018 12:29 PM PST
    • 3237 posts
    January 27, 2018 12:32 PM PST

A meaningful progeny system would be great for this, especially if the progeny are forced to use the same name.  Of all the games I have played, FFXI had the most meaningful reputation.  A lot of this was due to their sub-class system.  I played on a mostly Japanese server so reputation was extra significant for players like me because we would have a harder time finding groups due to the language barrier.  Of all the features I am most excited about in Pantheon, I would have to say that progeny is at the top.  It meshes so well with a lot of other things I am excited about such as the potential for "master classes" through specialization and colored mana, living codex, situational gear, etc.  

• 1785 posts
    January 27, 2018 1:08 PM PST

I agree with no changes to first name except via GM intervention (for offensive names, etc)

I do believe there should be an opportunity for players to change their surname in the event of an in-game marriage to another character.  In other words, if the game provides support for in-game marriages, then a surname change should come with that (and only that).

I do feel progeny should by default inherit the surname of their parent character, BUT they don't have to as well - make that part optional.

Those are my opinions :)

• 1095 posts
    January 27, 2018 1:13 PM PST

I like name changes, especially for $$$

• 2 posts
    January 28, 2018 10:55 PM PST

I just assumed the pogency system would force you to keep your last name.  Also that your sirname carried across all your characters.  This would mean you'd need to pay for another copy of the game every time you were outed as a thief/ninja.  Of course, since we will have multiple races available to us, having the ability to have a different, more fitting, last name for each race would be nice.

• 201 posts
    January 29, 2018 5:06 AM PST

Yeah for me...no name changes, CERTAINLY not "for $$$".  That is pretty much a phrase i do not ever want to see related to any in game activity.  If you are a jerk and level 50, then your name change should be a level 1 do over.

This post was edited by antonius at January 29, 2018 5:07 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    January 29, 2018 6:21 AM PST

From Aradune:

"Don't have an answer for this set-in stone -- too early for that.  But the topic does bring up some serious issues.

If players can just arbitrarily change their name then it would be rather difficult for the community to recognize players who are out to ruin other people's experiences.  There has to be responsibility.  You should be able to become famous, but then infamous as well.  

If you truly ruin your reputation by being a griefer and a jerk, then you should probably have to make an alt and assume a personality that fits in with the community.

So, in general, no to name changes.  Specifics, however, like I said, TBD."

(Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4918/name-changes-in-game-yes-or-no/view/page/2 ;)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 29, 2018 6:21 AM PST
    • 5 posts
    January 29, 2018 6:29 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

From Aradune:

"Don't have an answer for this set-in stone -- too early for that.  But the topic does bring up some serious issues.

If players can just arbitrarily change their name then it would be rather difficult for the community to recognize players who are out to ruin other people's experiences.  There has to be responsibility.  You should be able to become famous, but then infamous as well.  

If you truly ruin your reputation by being a griefer and a jerk, then you should probably have to make an alt and assume a personality that fits in with the community.

(Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4918/name-changes-in-game-yes-or-no/view/page/2 ;)

Harumpf!!

• 120 posts
    January 29, 2018 8:13 AM PST

I am against name changes. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, or in this case, would likely be just as much of a burden on our community. I like the idea of not being able to escape your evil deeds so easily.

• 769 posts
    January 29, 2018 11:57 AM PST

Agreed. Second chances are fine. Nothing wrong with re-rolling an alt and starting fresh, but acting like a buttwad should come with SOME consequences. 

• 8 posts
    January 29, 2018 2:36 PM PST

Tralyan said:

Agreed. Second chances are fine. Nothing wrong with re-rolling an alt and starting fresh, but acting like a buttwad should come with SOME consequences. 

Maybe Tag them somehow with their old names / alts

• 2756 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:02 PM PST

In some MMORPGs your character is tagged with your account name, so no matter which alt you are on people know it's you.

• 26 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:22 PM PST

Put me in the camp that would allow name changes with the following limitations:

1. Requires a support ticket. (Makes blatant abuse and "name violators" visible to humans for manual account flagging).
    2. Charge a prohibitive fee (at least one month's game time). This should offset some of the cost of supporting the feature.
    3. Absolute rate limit of 1 name change per 90 day period. Allows for 1-off renames and marriages/family construction but prevents frequent renames to continue griefing.
    4. "Ignore player" should notify the server and operate at the account level (ignore all alts of an offending player).

Name change abusers should be easy to spot and prevent. Very few would casually change names. Basic analytics are easily collectable from "ignore" logs to see which players are doing the most damage to the community.

• 363 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:46 PM PST

Fansy the Famous Bard. 

• 1921 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:49 PM PST

Will be required for victims to escape their abusers.

• 363 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:58 PM PST

vjek said:

That is actually a very valid point. Knew someone in EQ1 that had to change their name to avoid another player's sexual harassment. 

• 2752 posts
    January 29, 2018 4:59 PM PST

vjek said:

They can have an account wide /block instead.

• 769 posts
    January 29, 2018 5:02 PM PST

vjek said:

There should absolutely be exceptions to the rule, for this very reason. Presenting evidence that so-and-so has been harassing you should validate the need for a name change. Logs, screen shots, prior /reports against that person, would all count as evidence. Those kinds of name changes would be done (and should be done) at the discretion of the GM, along with consquences to the abuser. 

But those should be exceptions, not the norm. Having the ability to change a name based on extenuating circumstances should be a usable function. Having the ability to change a name because people remember how much of a jackass you were and now you find it hard to find a group? Heck no. 

• 9115 posts
    January 29, 2018 5:16 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

From Aradune:

As Bazgrim kindly pointed out, we already have an answer for this and an active thread, so please join in on that discussion as this one will be closed as a duplicate.