Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

When is enough, enough?

• 1479 posts
    January 25, 2018 3:18 PM PST

It really depends of how it turns out. I don't mind if the 3 first wipes are messy or seems desperate, but if none learns from mistakes, damage seems too high or mana is running out long before the ennemy is dead once the basics of the fight are understood, I'd not give more than 2 more shots, making it at minimal 5 I'd say.

Something that has to be learnt, must be learnt. But if there is no chance of succes glowing at the end, that's pretty much wasted time.

• 2038 posts
    January 25, 2018 4:36 PM PST

If I'm in a larger group and we're still having fun, I'll hang as long as I have time to play. If I'm alone or leader of a small group, I'll ususally 'reschedule' it for when there's more firepower or we're higher level after about 3-4 fails.

• 129 posts
    January 25, 2018 5:20 PM PST

When the 3 hour raid timer for the guild ends and we stop earning DKP so I can leave.

• 2419 posts
    January 25, 2018 6:25 PM PST

Kilsin said:

How many times dying or wiping does it usually take for you to give up and come back to that particular task again later? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Never, unless it can be proven that the event/encounter is unfinished (hello Rathe Council), bugged or otherwise broken.

• 3016 posts
    January 25, 2018 7:37 PM PST

Enough equals this:    "Keel heem...no no keel heem DEAD"  hehe  I don't like to give up will keep going as long as the rest of the team wants to keep at it.  :)

• 780 posts
    January 26, 2018 2:22 AM PST

Depends on whether or not death is meaningful in the game.

• 2 posts
    January 26, 2018 7:14 AM PST

Once you've stopped making consistant progress its time to step back and re-think. Thats how i've managed it, if the group / raid continues to make some progress with each wipe i'm good with pushing on but after a good hour or so of no progress or you see the team starting to go back-wards its time to take a breather.

As long as the fight is relatively feasilbe i'll keep going back if the incentive is worth it, in the end risk vs rewards is the best way to gauge someones appetite for a given fight.

This post was edited by Raiff at January 26, 2018 7:18 AM PST
    • 52 posts
    January 26, 2018 9:30 AM PST

Kilsin said:

How many times dying or wiping does it usually take for you to give up and come back to that particular task again later? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Typically when the raid leader calls it, or it's gone way past the scheduled raid time and I have to work the next day :)

• 151 posts
    January 26, 2018 6:59 PM PST
    Are you still trying to get a date Kilsin?
    • 77 posts
    January 26, 2018 8:07 PM PST

Usually when I see balls of paper forming or when it starts to burn, then I concede and take a shower.

• 108 posts
    January 26, 2018 8:18 PM PST

It depends if i am in a guild group or guild raid not until the leader/raid leader starts singing!

This being said i am not nearly has patient in a pick up group especially if the encounter is ugly. Usually ill stick around several attempts it really depends on if i am enjoying the pick up group or not.

• 123 posts
    January 27, 2018 2:41 AM PST

It depends on :

- how far we are from success

- if we can still learn something from trying more or if we are blocked

- if there is someting more interesting to do for the guild/group

- how close I am from the end my timeboxed game session

• 178 posts
    January 28, 2018 12:22 AM PST

really depends on the group,

if you are playing with friends, then it is wipefest after wipefest...

if it is a pug , then after the third wipe on the same spot its probably waste of time to continue.

yesterday night, in "search and rescue" adventure in DDO,  we died 8 times each...

was fun, finished it evetually, (but without the drow priestess optional).

• 14 posts
    January 28, 2018 2:04 AM PST

Slighly more than ∞ if I can see no hard restrictions like level difference making my attacks useless or lacking a certain skill/item that is apparently a hard requirement. I once spent almost 8 hours on one boss in a dungeon, replacing a few dozen of random people joining my instance until we beat it. :) Yes, that was the first time I've seen that boss.

My observation from that experience: it takes 2-3 wipes on average for a person to lose all hope and leave.

This post was edited by leozaur at January 28, 2018 2:06 AM PST
    • 1 posts
    January 28, 2018 12:50 PM PST

3 or 4 attempts normally, I figured if we don't have it by the we either don't really understand the fight, aren't geared enough for it, or just aren't on our game that night.  The only exception is on the last boss of a long raid, I've stuck around and we got it on the 7th attempt.

• 7 posts
    February 2, 2018 2:17 PM PST

Raiff said:

Once you've stopped making consistant progress its time to step back and re-think. Thats how i've managed it, if the group / raid continues to make some progress with each wipe i'm good with pushing on but after a good hour or so of no progress or you see the team starting to go back-wards its time to take a breather.

As long as the fight is relatively feasilbe i'll keep going back if the incentive is worth it, in the end risk vs rewards is the best way to gauge someones appetite for a given fight.

I Feel the same.  If no progress is being made, either by learning new strategies or by HP going down, it's time to step back and determine if your team is capable of doing it.  We've all wiped unneccessarily and laughed about it, but dying over and over without progress serves no purpose.  

• 11 posts
    February 3, 2018 11:32 AM PST

If it's doable, I wont give up until my target is dead :)

as a level 14 magician in EQ1, I could ALMOST kill the evil eye(cant remember her name!) in Runnyeye solo. My solution? bind on the spot of my death to him and simply kill him through attrition. I finished the fight as a level 9 magician, but she was dead, and I got the loot :)

• 258 posts
    February 3, 2018 2:32 PM PST

LordMindParadox said:

If it's doable, I wont give up until my target is dead :)

This. So I guess I will only quit when we no longer have enough players to keep on keepin' on.

• 264 posts
    February 4, 2018 8:54 AM PST

I am always the guy saying "one more try" when my group/raid wants to quit. I don't like giving up. The few times I was in a group of likeminded players and the content was simply too difficult it would usually end at sunrise because I had to go to work. There is a stipulation though for this behavior, there must be progress each attempt if it is going to be an all nighter.

This post was edited by Ziegfried at February 4, 2018 8:55 AM PST
    • 15 posts
    February 4, 2018 5:33 PM PST
    For me it depends also. Most of the times I am game to keep trying and dying as long as I feel progress is being made either in moving forward or team work (which most forget come down to really). There are times however when you can tell pretty quickly it’s not happening or people are just not on their game and then it makes more sense to move on elsewhere. All said a variety of factors play a role in it but typically I am game to keep going.
    • 12 posts
    February 22, 2018 7:12 PM PST

I don't give up.

• 217 posts
    February 22, 2018 7:53 PM PST

I feel to adequately answer your question Kilsin, there needs to be more information within the question.  As is, there are way too many variables.

For instance, if it were an attempt at crafting , soloing a mob higher level than you or waiting for one to pop and getting placeholders, or conversely getting said mob but not the drop youre intending to obtain, a raid, an epic raid, trying to complete a quest thats not exactly easy to figure out.

I think if you look at all these situations and also every post prior to mine as well as those following soon, the answer lies in the "hope factor".  If hope dies, will dies and the task is left for another day.  Tenacity, teamwork and tactics can and will win the day, maybe it just has to be "eventually".

• 7 posts
    February 23, 2018 1:03 AM PST

Depends on how much I've had to drink and if I'm still having fun playing.

• 36 posts
    February 23, 2018 3:13 AM PST

Risk vs reward, if i want the stuff from the Encounter really, i stay till its done. Well if i see there is a chance to win the encounter with the current equip/group or we still can learn the encounter.