Forums » The Druid

What race?

• 21 posts
    October 20, 2019 9:56 PM PDT

I'm in a similar boat of Halfling or Elf as the prior two posts. Halflings seem really interesting lorewise so while I usually dont play a short race they are on the table for me. Elves are always a race that I like that has a high odds of being in most mmos so theyre a usual go to race for me.

• 43 posts
    October 24, 2019 7:44 AM PDT

From the October Video Newsletter:

Race Passive Abilities

Elf:

Increased resistance to nature magic and increased effectiveness of nature magic

Incrased agility based skills and abilities

Of the Ashen variety:

20% resistance to spell interupt or counter spell abilities

Extra spell rating based on wisdom

Halfling:

Charm or Mesmerize resistance

Increased dagger skills

Increased effectiveness of consumables

Likes to kill wraith creatures

We'll have to see what the non-passives bring to the table.

• 275 posts
    October 24, 2019 8:43 AM PDT

Yea atm only Ashen Elves. Lets hope actives will balance things out.

• 795 posts
    October 24, 2019 1:47 PM PDT

Yeah I might switch from Dark Myr to Ashen Elf since Dark Myr has crap pretty much.

This post was edited by Watemper at October 28, 2019 7:55 AM PDT
    • 67 posts
    October 24, 2019 8:40 PM PDT

Ashen Elf seems boss for this class

This post was edited by Bannik at October 30, 2019 6:57 AM PDT
    • 31 posts
    October 27, 2019 7:40 AM PDT

I'm still holding out hope that the Archai may turn out better than we think for druids.  They clearly are bound to nature in ways, and if druids have some endurance based stuff instead of only magic, it could be an interesting race to play.  I think part of the question will be down to what the "bread and butter" damage types are for druids, as if that can be nailed down once more abilities are public, or more info on the existing ones, than one version of Archai may raise to the top.

• 795 posts
    October 28, 2019 7:57 AM PDT

We will see. Lol. I feel bad for some races. They look to only be good for one class. But yeah Ashen Elf looks extremely strong for Druid. If racials weren't this impactful then I wouldn't mind...but you can't pass those passives up soo easily as a Druid. 

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    November 3, 2019 3:33 PM PST
    Do the druids lightning spells count as nature damage? It says shock damage but I’m curious
    • 2466 posts
    November 4, 2019 1:03 PM PST

Lightning is shock not nature. 

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    November 4, 2019 1:59 PM PST
    Thanks
    • 98 posts
    November 6, 2019 7:54 AM PST
    I'm thinking either ashen elf or Archai. We will have to see the actives of course, but I think the Archai passives which lower energy drains could be quite useful. More MP from wis of ashen elf, or limit power drain from Archai. Both have their pros and cons.
    • 111 posts
    November 6, 2019 8:26 AM PST

Alex Wright said: I'm thinking either ashen elf or Archai. We will have to see the actives of course, but I think the Archai passives which lower energy drains could be quite useful. More MP from wis of ashen elf, or limit power drain from Archai. Both have their pros and cons.

Same. Im hoping the archai activated off sets the elves clear preference for druids, much like my other half is hoping the archai activated offsets the clear preference of a human bard. Heres to hoping for a balanced choice of flavors in the classes! /cheers

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    November 7, 2019 6:42 AM PST
    I like the ashen elf for Druid. It has quite a few passives that help. I’m just not certain how much benefit druids get from the nature based effectiveness due to the fact that I can’t tell what druid abilities are nature based
    • 175 posts
    November 7, 2019 11:32 AM PST

Wig said: I like the ashen elf for Druid. It has quite a few passives that help. I’m just not certain how much benefit druids get from the nature based effectiveness due to the fact that I can’t tell what druid abilities are nature based

While that IS the question of the day - and likely will continue as such for some time to come - gaming history and the general descriptions by VR of the Druid suggest that somewhere between many and all of a Druids abilities are at least partially Nature based.

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    November 7, 2019 2:11 PM PST
    Correct, I’d assume at least some, if not most, of them are nature based. I would figure the ability “Call Lightning” would be considered nature but it says shock damage. The druids lightning ability seems like its main source of damage according to the abilities we see so far, and with bonuses from other class debuffs such as the shamans “Deluge” ability, i would think it could put out some decent damage (even more so if it stacked with ashen elf nature spell effectiveness)
    • 175 posts
    November 8, 2019 11:50 AM PST

I'd bet that all the "imbue trait" buffs are Nature based, given the description that you are taking traits from nature.

The 'Verdanfire Spear' description says it does fire and nature damage. Based on that, I'd bet that the several Verdanfire healing abilities are at least partly nature based. The 'Vinewoven Grove' seems like it has to be as well.

The real question I think is whether Hirode's Abilities are Nature based. If they are - at least in part - then Elf seems like a slam-dunk for Druid. If not, then Elf is still very good, but not SO MUCH better that nothing else comes close.

And of course, actives and Alpha/Beta 'readjustments' could change all of this hehe.

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    November 8, 2019 2:33 PM PST
    Let’s say they aren’t nature based, what would you say the next best race would be? I don’t know how much a humans 2% haste would do and I don’t think we will ever know until we can get in game and test it. The archai elemental attunement doesn’t seem to have an element that benefits druids all that much. Dark myr, Halfling, and ogre don’t seem to have much to benefit. Even if elves don’t get the nature bonus they still get bonus to WIS. I’d probably put humans second.
    • 175 posts
    November 8, 2019 11:33 PM PST

Well I think humans and archai are both the runners up. So if Druid's spells aren't nature based for the most part, then we have an even closer 3-way race. So clearly, a firm decision would best wait until passives are seen, and maybe until you get a chance to actually try them out in alpha/beta or release.

Although it won't hurt to see if, in the meantime, we can get any confimation from Devs about the Nature base of their spells.

• 407 posts
    November 19, 2019 9:42 AM PST

I think it's cool Ashen Elves seem to have the best druid passives - Elves should be the best druids. I'm sure, however, the other races will offer fun and useful ancillary advantages so we won't feel like we're missing out if we don't play Elf. But strongest classical druid should be Elf, and that's cool - they are immortal nature protectors. I think I'll prefer Ogre for druid, though.

This post was edited by Alexander at November 19, 2019 9:43 AM PST