Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Salvaging

• 556 posts
    January 18, 2018 12:43 PM PST

Nephele said:

FFXI and FFXIV are two different games :). OneADSeven was talking about the former game.

Oh crap didn't even notice that. Lmao. Good catch.

Even though XI's crafting was even worse than XIV lol. 

• 1785 posts
    January 18, 2018 1:07 PM PST

Lol no worries, easy mistake to make :)

I think we need to be careful not to lump everything together into "good" and "bad" when we talk about how other games have done things. For example, a game can have a great implementation of harvesting mechanics but terrible node placement. Or a game might have great itemization in crafted items but a horribly boring crafting interface/process. If we are trying to learn from what other games did well or did poorly we need to be specific and break this stuff apart.

I liked XI's placement of harvesting nodes. However I didn't like their implementation of the harvesting process itself as much as I enjoyed XIV's or VG's implementation. For the crafting process, I definitely enjoy the way that XIV does things, although it is a little too easy in the latest expansion. Likewise, I really enjoyed VG's crafting process because it was very interactive and allowed the crafter to customize the result.  XI's crafting process on the other hand really shows it's age and is kinda boring to me. These are just some examples, I could go on but you probably get the idea.  Each game that has come before usually did at least one piece well though. We shouldn't throw out those pieces just because we didn't like the other stuff.

• 247 posts
    January 27, 2018 10:52 PM PST

vjek said:

In this thread, iirc, there was some indication either in an article, thread, posting, or stream that there would only be one tradeskill per player.

I don't think VR has ever confirmed this (one tradeskill per player) and it's not in the FAQ, but obviously it has implications for the number of players/account, or number of acounts per player, depending on design goals.

As far as salvaging, there's also no confirmation or denial in anything I can find that indicates you would be limited or restricted to one or many harvesting skills.  They seem to be pretty keen on trying the failed experiment of EQ2 crafting interdependency, though, so if that's still true, it may be as bad as 1 tradeskill and one harvesting skill per player, or even 1 tradeskill OR one harvesting skill per player.

April new letter says one trade skill per toon

• 30 posts
    March 14, 2019 7:42 PM PDT

Salvaging Insight

Here’s a general idea on salvaging….

If you have a professional specialization, and you salvage an item that would be crafted by that specialization (i.e. a weaponsmith salvages a sword), then there’s a % chance that a successful salvage could grant an “insight point”, which could be later spent when crafting something a little above the crafter’s league.  For example, if you were 2 points shy of the skill to be able to craft “the sword of ubery goodness”, then you could spend an insight point and increase your odds of success slightly.  Nothing earth-shattering, just a tiny nudge against RNG-machine.  I think this would encourage both salvaging and experimentation.

Standard disclaimers: this idea makes a ton of assumptions about the crafting system, of which we know precious little.  It is also a generic piece of “idea bait” to get a conversation started.

Swarm on….

• 287 posts
    March 15, 2019 1:38 PM PDT

Zaedria said:

Salvaging Insight

Here’s a general idea on salvaging….

If you have a professional specialization, and you salvage an item that would be crafted by that specialization (i.e. a weaponsmith salvages a sword), then there’s a % chance that a successful salvage could grant an “insight point”, which could be later spent when crafting something a little above the crafter’s league.  For example, if you were 2 points shy of the skill to be able to craft “the sword of ubery goodness”, then you could spend an insight point and increase your odds of success slightly.  Nothing earth-shattering, just a tiny nudge against RNG-machine.  I think this would encourage both salvaging and experimentation.

Standard disclaimers: this idea makes a ton of assumptions about the crafting system, of which we know precious little.  It is also a generic piece of “idea bait” to get a conversation started.

Swarm on….

I like this. The skill could be called "reverse engineering". In addition to some general insight into your profession, there could also be some permanent bonus to success % for that particular salvaged item when you attempt to craft it thereafter.