Forums » The Ranger

Misdirect

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    January 1, 2018 8:54 AM PST
    For anyone who doesn’t know what misdirect is, it was a spell you could cast on a player in your group and for the next three damaging abilities you cast on a mob, all threat generated was directed toward the player you casted misdirect on. So in such a case, you could cast misdirect on the tank and pull a mob from ranged to help the tank build hate before it even reaches the group.

This spell could be a game changer when it comes to ranger pulling. Thoughts?
    • 249 posts
    January 2, 2018 7:48 PM PST

Wig said: For anyone who doesn’t know what misdirect is, it was a spell you could cast on a player in your group and for the next three damaging abilities you cast on a mob, all threat generated was directed toward the player you casted misdirect on. So in such a case, you could cast misdirect on the tank and pull a mob from ranged to help the tank build hate before it even reaches the group. This spell could be a game changer when it comes to ranger pulling. Thoughts?

Rogues eventually got an ability like this in EQ.  This type of deception seems much more appropriate for a class like rogue or enchanter than for a ranger.  I personally would prefer rangers to have some short-duration avoidance or mitigation abilities to help in situations like this.

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    January 4, 2018 8:09 AM PST
    It does sound more fitting for an enchanter when it comes to misleading the mob into attacking another player. I guess it depends on the rangers arsenal of abilities. I see rogues get a full blown lockdown CC “smoke and mirrors”. Not sure how reliable it would be, but from the streams I’ve seen, at its current state, it seems like it does a decent job holding the mobs down. No info has been put out for the ranger as of yet, but it seems it will be some kind of physical ranged dealing class. Whether we get CC or not, from past MMOs, we usually see these kind of classes make good pullers/mob kiters. So, if a ranger is considered a decent puller, I would think a misdirect ability would be a great option for it. A monk and ranger pull combo would work great allowing for FD splitting mobs while the ranger misdirects one mob to the tank. It could have another name more fitting to a ranger such as “scent of blood”: A keen scent of blood engulfs a targeted party member, your next 3 damaging abilities will provoke hate said party member...I’m sure it could be re-worked but just something I quickly thought up.
    • 1660 posts
    January 4, 2018 1:18 PM PST

Shall we really ask for an easy aggro management, while this is supposed to be the tank's job ? Control will/should be a big part of the game, and making threat less a challenge and a duty might lessen the awareness requirement of tanks.

I know the initial ask wasn't so extreme, but taking a path can sometimes lead to dramatic long term consequences, when it goes against some other role or functionnality.

• Wig
    • 209 posts
    January 5, 2018 6:42 AM PST
    I was thinking not so much crazy threat generation, but for a pulling mechanic. I believe Pantheon is being built around class interdependence, allowing for classes to work together and interweave abilities to progress through content. The tanks primary role is to hold aggro for sure, 100% agree. However, I wouldn’t think this ability would allow the tank to “afk auto attack” while still holding aggro. It was mentioned above an ability similar to this was in EQ, just not used by rangers? By all means, if this ability is used out of context (broken) allowing for easy aggro control, that is not how I intended it. I figure an easy fix would be to put it on a cooldown, not a tremendously long cooldown, but a cool down to allow use once per fight. It could also be used midnight if a patrol aggros and is headed for a healer and the tank is to far to reach him. As I said, it’s not to be used as easy mode aggro control, but just something to add to the depth of ranger, or any class for that matter.
    • 1660 posts
    January 5, 2018 7:47 AM PST

I get your point, I'd just prefer the ranger as a good long range split puller, than with tools allowing to send mobs directly to the tank with no action of their part. The potential to misdirect your failed pulls directly to someone else is something I don't really enjoy by itself, even if fding a train to someone has allways been a thing in eq.