Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

In the future...

• 338 posts
    December 29, 2017 6:14 AM PST

This post is just me musing on about some wierd thoughts ... I apologize in advance for the rambling nature of it.

I see a future where people organically generate income in the form of crypto currency while they play games on many platforms.

Besides mobile games where this will be huge I think MMO type games could have a resurgence from this technology.

With the incredible scalability of these new 3rd gen coins that are coming into the market keeping up with the thousands(millions?) of transactions per second in a large game would be a breeze.

By cutting out the miners on the blockchains of old and dispursing the burden out to individual users the wealth can also be divided more evenly.

If every time you make a transaction you are required to proof 2 other transactions it creates a web that increases in power the more users that are added.

In the future the coins you earn in game will be easily and directly transferable to real life instantly with no transaction fees.

I'm almost certainly crazy...

Kiz~

This post was edited by Angrykiz at December 29, 2017 6:15 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 29, 2017 7:37 AM PST

Shouldn't this be in Off-Topic?

• 338 posts
    December 29, 2017 7:53 AM PST

An MMO with longevity that releases in 2019-20 range intending to stay relevant until 2030 will have to directly compete with stuff like this IMO.

In some ways EVE online pioneered this kind of thing but now that the technology is catching up to the idea I predict a move toward this kind of service.

I could ramble on all day about this idea... Sorry for boring...

Kiz~

This post was edited by Angrykiz at December 29, 2017 7:53 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 29, 2017 8:54 AM PST

Even though I still believe that this should have been in Off-Topic, I will give my two cents on this.  I am speaking from the perspective of someone that has been into computers since 1981, and have been in IT for a living since 1986.

Over the last two decades, there have been multiple attempts at establishing an eCurrency, some backed by specific governments.  All have failed.  The reason why is that two-fold.  Perceived valuation is not ACTUAL valuation and they are not "spendable".  They are strictly a speculative "currency".  The various block-chain based currencies are no different.  Until you can use eCurrency to buy "everyday items" from any place that you want, not select-few locations that take them, they will be nothing more than a niche player.  At the moment, the existing eCurrencies are nothing more than a high-tech Ponzi scheme.  The only thing that is propping up the "value" of them is the speculative "valuation" given to them.  You cannot use them to buy a house.  Nor a car.  Nor groceries.  Nor pay your utilities.  Until you can do that, they have no actual value.  The most common place that these eCurrencies can be "spent" is "the Dark Web" (yes, this is a stupid term), which most of the world's population has no reason, nor need, to actually use.  There are some mainstream places trhat accept Bitcoin, but not many.  In fact, due to the volitility and lack of backing, some places, such as Steam, have stopped taking it.

Go to an FDIC insured bank and try to "cash in" your eCurrencty for real cash.  You will be laughed out of the bank.  Try to deposit its "value" into your bank account to spend on things that regular people buy.  Can't do it.

With this being said, some good technologies have come out of eCurrency.  Block-chain for example, is catching on as a mainstream way to manage and verify identities and data integrity for electronic transactions.

• 557 posts
    December 29, 2017 10:20 AM PST

I fail to understand how this isn't just turning every player into a gold farmer with condoned/institutionalized RMT.

If this is what computer gaming becomes in the future, I'm out.

• 5 posts
    December 29, 2017 11:20 AM PST

The problem is how are you doing the complex mathematical solving for the new transactions? This would be a huge problem on how your pc is running and would also slow the blockchain network because it wouldn't be running full time.

In response to Kalok, I do think that CryptoCurrency can be used for every day items, you can use bitcoin on the following sites: Newegg, Expedia, Microsoft, even subway. Its not widely accepted yet and there are definitely advancements to be made, but to compare this to eCurrencies from before is not really fair. There's a lot of uncharted territory but as long as there is a value in bitcoin, or any cryptocurrency, there will be someone who is willing to trade for it. Also using the FDIC as an example of trying to cash in you currency is such a laughably bad example. The whole point of cryptocurrency is to be decentralized so why would someone with that goal in mind want to take it to a centralized bank? If you want cash for it just trade it online, its much easier that way anyways. I believe that its not great as is but there are definitely strides in the right direction. 

This post was edited by patboy19 at December 29, 2017 11:20 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 29, 2017 11:49 AM PST

patboy19 said:

The problem is how are you doing the complex mathematical solving for the new transactions? This would be a huge problem on how your pc is running and would also slow the blockchain network because it wouldn't be running full time.

In response to Kalok, I do think that CryptoCurrency can be used for every day items, you can use bitcoin on the following sites: Newegg, Expedia, Microsoft, even subway. Its not widely accepted yet and there are definitely advancements to be made, but to compare this to eCurrencies from before is not really fair. There's a lot of uncharted territory but as long as there is a value in bitcoin, or any cryptocurrency, there will be someone who is willing to trade for it. Also using the FDIC as an example of trying to cash in you currency is such a laughably bad example. The whole point of cryptocurrency is to be decentralized so why would someone with that goal in mind want to take it to a centralized bank? If you want cash for it just trade it online, its much easier that way anyways. I believe that its not great as is but there are definitely strides in the right direction. 

Ok.  You say it has value.  Try to pay your mortgage, buy groceries, pay your utility bills, buy a car, etc with it.  What?  You can't??  Just because as handful of places take it doesn't mean it has any real value.  It has no more value than a coupon.  The fact that they take it is no more than a marketing gimmick.  "Hey look!!  We take eCurrency!!  We're high tech!"

Until eCurrency is treated the same as standard fiat currency, it will have no value beyond the speculative market.  You should probably do a little research and learn more aabout economics before claiming that someone has a "laughably bad example".  At the end of th day, the whole purpose behind currency is to exchange goods or services for currency and then trade that currency for goods or services.  Until that happens on a "mainstream scale" with eCurrency, which it does not currently, it will have no tangible value.

The whole purpose of the FDIC is to insure (as opposed to ensure) your money so that in the event that it is stolen from the bank, you are not out the money.  If your eCurrency is stolen from your wallet, you're screwed.  Period.  The FDIC itself has nothing to do with "centralized banking".  I used FDIC, in the case of my post, to identify LEGITIMATE banking, not some made up "exchange" on the Internet.  Look at how many Internet "exchanges" have folded in the last two years and anyone using them is just out their money.  A 100% loss.  A loan shark is more reputable.

Proof that it has no real value and is nothing more than speculation can be shown in the recent bubble where crypto-currency lost a third of its value over night for no actual reason other than "reasons".  Much like the housing bubble of the early-mid 2000s, which was ALSO based on speculation.  You can, literally, lose thousands of dollars of "value" over night due to fluctuations.  I know you're going to bring up the stock market next, because they always do.  The stock market is, literally, a speculation driven market that does not reflect the actual value of anything.  "Hey!  I just IPOed my instant messaging comany!  It's not worth $100 million dollars!"  Except that it's not really.

If you actually understood economics, you would understand that eCurrenct is a scam and nothing more.  Someday it may be a legitimate thing, but at present it's not.

• 1095 posts
    December 29, 2017 12:05 PM PST

Angrykiz said:

This post is just me musing on about some wierd thoughts ... I apologize in advance for the rambling nature of it.

I see a future where people organically generate income in the form of crypto currency while they play games on many platforms.

Besides mobile games where this will be huge I think MMO type games could have a resurgence from this technology.

With the incredible scalability of these new 3rd gen coins that are coming into the market keeping up with the thousands(millions?) of transactions per second in a large game would be a breeze.

By cutting out the miners on the blockchains of old and dispursing the burden out to individual users the wealth can also be divided more evenly.

If every time you make a transaction you are required to proof 2 other transactions it creates a web that increases in power the more users that are added.

In the future the coins you earn in game will be easily and directly transferable to real life instantly with no transaction fees.

Kiz~

Imbedding cryptohashing code into an game would only be useful if the company was trying to hide it and claim all the money. But when they start melting people's pcs, they will go bankrupt by the lawsuits. As for the end user why mine in a game for half the computing power when you can mine standalone with much more mining power.

But actually in the future playing video games will be called a mental disorder.  

So we will be getting paid by the state for having a disability.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/world-health-organizations-junk-diagnosis-for-gaming_us_5a453871e4b06cd2bd03deab

This post was edited by Aich at December 29, 2017 12:07 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 29, 2017 12:14 PM PST

patboy19 said:

While i am thinking about it, the built-in volitility of the eCurrency market is a HUGE detrement to actually using it for legitimate purchases.  You can literally buy something for 0.001 BTC today and in an hour that value has changed.  So, you can effectively lose money on a purchase.  What cost you $600 in Bitcoin could cost someone else $400 on the same day.  In the real world a dollar is with a dollar today, tomorrow, and next month.

• 9115 posts
    December 29, 2017 3:43 PM PST

Moved to Off-Topic :)

• 294 posts
    January 2, 2018 2:52 PM PST

Actually Kalok, the value of a dollar changes daily as well, and can change several times during a single day.

George Soros once made a billion dollars of the British currency using that exact gamble, topling the value of the currency and sending it into a tailspin so to speak. The British government had to initiate emergency protocols to bolster the value of their money to keep their currency stable. Soros capitalized on that action and supposedly made a billion in a single day.

The value of anything can fluctuate momentarily depending on demand and supply. The dollar is not exempt. Some people bank on that premise and cash in.

• 413 posts
    April 4, 2018 10:59 AM PDT

Angrykiz said:

I find your topic totally relevant.  Blockchain technolgy we solve a lot of problems.  Game developers better look at it. 

I think this point will be a turn off to the "original EQ crowd".  But if you can eliminate gold sellers and black market 3rd part selling of items,  you can protect the games economy.  (without affect the core values of the MMO being created here)

Totally agree.  It would be foolish not to try and find solutions to complex issues that would otherwise comprimise the gameplay you want.  

Yup.  Anything that can be track on a different network other than where the game world is will be a hosted, is a plus.  I don't like lag spikes.  If you are tracking data on a seporate network and send the results of queries using a API to the game world, secure and not hackable. use it.

Enjin coin is out. https://enjincoin.io/enjincoin_whitepaper.pdf

The road map for a Unity API was Q1 2018  Their Infinty testnet is scheduled for Q2 2018.   I think there can be differen levels of involvment here.  VR does not need to allow melting of items to utilize the blockchain to their advantage.  You can preserve the game-play that is the mission of VR, and still move forward with intergrating blockchain technolgy.

By moving the processing and verification of item trades from the Game servers to a blockchain network, would allow VR to better utilize the thier server's bandwidth for other things.  All very specultive, but is If was a major invester, I would make sure the decision makers were taking this technology into concideration when they say "where are we in 5 years?".  

Kiz~

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 4, 2018 11:05 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    April 8, 2018 12:42 PM PDT

I won't be buying into E currency in any shape or form...reminds me of (illegal in Canada) pyramid schemes, where ONLY the people at the top of the pile make money,  anyone below them loses their shirt. 

• 413 posts
    April 12, 2018 3:56 PM PDT

If you played MMO's then you probally understand Crypto more than you think.

Breaking It Down: Why Gamers Understand Crypto

Jared Psigoda, the CEO of BitGuild - one of the companies that spoke on DMarket’s gaming and blockchain panel at GDC - explained that the concept behind digital currencies has resonated with the gaming community for years.

www.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Frachelwolfson%2F2018%2F04%2F11%2Fgamers-and-investors-bet-big-on-cryptocurrency-and-blockchain-in-the-gaming-industry%2F&text=Gamers%20in%20particular%20understand%20cryptocurrency%20because%20virtual%20money%20has%20been%20a%20part%20of%20gaming%20for%20the%20last%2010%20years." target="_blank">Gamers in particular understand cryptocurrency because virtual money has been a part of gaming for the last 10 years. For example, dating back to the World of Warcraft, there was a one-hundred million dollar market for buying digital gold. This was the main currency used in World of Warcraft to buy in-game assets, like dragons. However, it would take gamers a tremendous amount of time to acquire digital gold, so they would use real money instead to buy in-game assets.

Source:Forbes

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 12, 2018 3:58 PM PDT