Forums » Pantheon Races

Dark Elf?

• 7 posts
    December 20, 2017 12:20 AM PST

I tried checking the forums earlier to see if there was any conversation already on it. I'm actually surprised, with some of the other typical races available, that Dark Elves didn't make it in. I think I read some lore on another site that mentioned them. When I saw the comments about Necromancers being a future class, I got pretty excited about recreating my Dark Elf Necromancer from EQ1. :)

Has there been any comments on this that you all have seen? Future race maybe?

• 557 posts
    December 20, 2017 12:38 AM PST

I doubt we'll see anything akin to the DE's of EQ, but there are some interesting new races in Pantheon to be sure.

Check out the Dark Myr and if you want to go really dark, check out the Skar.

Necros are already on the official class matrix chart, so hopefully they won't be too far distant.

• 7 posts
    December 20, 2017 12:41 AM PST

I figured that was possible and that's fine. After all, I don't want a complete EQ1 clone. Though, it would be cool if they did bring something like them back. I checked out Dark Myr and the Skar and neither connected with me. If nothing else, I'd probably go human for a necro. 

• 2886 posts
    December 20, 2017 6:09 AM PST

Anything's possible for a future race, but so far nothing official. There's a lore-based reason for every race they include in the world.

• 557 posts
    December 20, 2017 6:31 AM PST

Pantheon's elves in general seem to be quite different than all of the EQ variants and certainly a departure from classical literature.  So too are the gnomes, which I personally think are barely gnomish and would have chosen a different name.  That doesn't necessarily make them less interesting and I think it's too early to judge the races based on the limited info available.   I plan to check out each of them.  The lore doesn't really come alive until you see a race is their home city.   Something might click after you kick a few tires.

• 422 posts
    December 20, 2017 7:46 AM PST

I honestly like the direction VR went with races and hope they stay away from the default Fantasy tropes.

They put their own spin on Gnomes and I love it! The lore and design of the halflings is perfect. I love that they are not dumpy hairy gluttons like in some other worlds.

I'd like it if they didn't add the generic "dark elf". I'd rather see more original races or complete reimagining of races.

• 2886 posts
    December 20, 2017 8:13 AM PST

kellindil said:

I honestly like the direction VR went with races and hope they stay away from the default Fantasy tropes.

They put their own spin on Gnomes and I love it! The lore and design of the halflings is perfect. I love that they are not dumpy hairy gluttons like in some other worlds.

I'd like it if they didn't add the generic "dark elf". I'd rather see more original races or complete reimagining of races.

I think that's a pretty safe bet. They have put their own spin on every single race - familiar, yet different. So it stands to reason that if by chance they do include a Dark Elf, it will have to have its own unique twist.

• 109 posts
    December 20, 2017 11:20 AM PST

Vipes said:

I tried checking the forums earlier to see if there was any conversation already on it. I'm actually surprised, with some of the other typical races available, that Dark Elves didn't make it in. I think I read some lore on another site that mentioned them. When I saw the comments about Necromancers being a future class, I got pretty excited about recreating my Dark Elf Necromancer from EQ1. :)

Has there been any comments on this that you all have seen? Future race maybe?

I created a post about this very thing when I first joined.  While I'm prepared to embrace new races, I also hope to be able to create my favorite class/race combo at some point.  

• 200 posts
    January 8, 2018 11:46 AM PST

Maybe the possibility exists to be a dark elf? The term "Elves" might be all encompassing? Maybe after selecting the Elves race, you can then select the dark side, the high side (high elf), or somewhere in between?

Maybe when one selects the human race, they can be more of a Barbarian type human?

Is it possible these options will exist after creating a race?