Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Accidents Happen...

• 9115 posts
    December 4, 2017 3:58 AM PST

Have you ever accidentally trained someone? If so, how did it happen and how did you make it up to them? #PRF #communitymatters

• 409 posts
    December 4, 2017 4:11 AM PST

Depends on the class I'm playing. I generally stay and help out after; bringing a cleric/paladin alt down to help res/buff. It's the least I can do.

Problem is tho.. most people still never forgive you.. even if you didnt mean it.. even if you go and res/buff. Almost all people are unforgiving.. so its debatable whether its actually worth going back to help with some peoples extreme attitudes towards training.

This post was edited by Nimryl at December 4, 2017 4:13 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    December 4, 2017 4:23 AM PST
    So in EQ I was showing my girlfriend (now wife) the game. I was logging in my alts showing her different things the classes did... When I got to my monk. I went to frontier mountains and ran all the giants together for a laugh at the fort. Then ran out the door, switched to a wide third person camera and feigned. Every giant just took off running back in the fort. It was at this moment...I knew I'd messed up. I start shooting train at fort and telling people I didn't do it on purpose. It killed a full group camped in the inside of the fort. So my wife then gets to see me log in a cleric and make the journey to go Rez these people. This was velious, so no books or Nexus yet. I rezzed and buffed them all.

Now, I wish this was the end of my story, but at that point I get a message and two members of the group decide to be severe jerks to me and go as far calling my wife some pretty foul stuff for getting them trained.

So I did it again. They got a GM involved. I sent him my logs. He tells me not to do it again, but have a nice day! Woot I love EQ!

I was known overall for being pretty helpful to people, as community and rep meant a lot to me. But in rare occasion I could be pretty mean. My girlfriend ended up playing EQ and now we've been married 13 years. We've told lots of EQ stories over the years and hope the next set of stories come from pantheon!

• 753 posts
    December 4, 2017 4:25 AM PST

The night I officially got accepted into the guild that would become my home in EQ forever...

I had never been in Kael Drakkel.  They told me to join them there.  SO - I zone in and ask them how to get to wherever they are... they tell me.  Of course I agro one giant - then another - then another.  I tell them I have three giants chasing me.  They say bring them.  I see a mass group of people... I run the three giants to them... 

It wasn't my brand, shiny, new guild.  I ran three giants into another guild that wasn't ready for three incoming giants and wiped them because I turned the wrong way.

They were happy with profuse and humble apologies... and a laugh or two at my expense... apparently I was living DOWN to the reputation of a ranger.

• 624 posts
    December 4, 2017 4:32 AM PST

In an outdoor zone - never. Bard speed allows responsible minstrels to herd mobs, derail trains, and avoid popular choke points.

Cramped indoor environments, with mobs that can fear players...well that gets downright embarrassing when you lose control. Always apologize profusely and help the trampled recover. It can be an interesting way to meet new players. Those that are able to laugh it off may become future friends. It is, after all, a ‘dangerous game’ we want, awesome accidental ‘parades’ will happen. Best to pop some corn, kick back, and enjoy the show.

• 11 posts
    December 4, 2017 4:38 AM PST

I trained a few people back in Everquest 2. When there was a bug that let me cast Feign death on other people, I would cast it on the person I trained mobs on and they would live. 

• 71 posts
    December 4, 2017 4:55 AM PST

I have had my fair share of trains and been trained a fair amount to boot.

Usually if I trained someone it was 1. Because I was unfamiliar with the zone and where camps were or 2. The group was pulling to the zoneline.  The first problem can't be helped a whole lot, experience and knowledge in any environs takes time.  The second situation described I felt a little less sympathetic for, for I always hollered train to zoneline, sometimes even at the expense of my own health or life.  If I did manage to train someone I would do what I could to mitigate the damage by pulling any still aggro'd mobs away, or failing that, die trying to tank it out for them for a few seconds.  

Recompense for the fallen usually involved paying for res's as needed and just general smoothing of ruffled feathers.  Honestly though, I have rarely run into someone who has made a large deal about it.  On the few occasions wherein an individual got really twisted, I just figured that they were working within limited playtime and were in a bad mood, didn't take it personal, and didn't respond in kind.  All things said and done, I got apologies from quite a few of the unpleasant ones, and managed to even make friends and future guild mates from these interactions.  Whether I was being trained or the one training.

To avoid this, you got better at playing the game.  I don't refer to increasing your level or skills, but more so, indicating an improvement in your game knowledge or your ability to interact in a civil manner with other players.  You a learned NOT to pull to a zone line, and where to position your group to avoid the trains from camp A, which may be a particularly hard camp to break.  You learned where roaming mobs came around and kept an eye on your surroundings at all time.  

The flip side is learning to interact with others, and this is what I am most worried about.  A lot of the fans will be old blood coming from EQ and VG and may know that etiquette really is a thing.  However, as some migrate from other games, they may have never known or experienced what it means to be a good player and to have a reputation that matters.  There are games out there that I have played that have turned into Massively SinglePlayer Online RPGS for me simply because the chat and people you meet are so toxic as to render it a chore to interact.  On to the topic of trains, this just means that it means a great deal when you own your own mistake and attempt to make it right in a reasonable fashion, and if things go sideways with an individual don't make it worse.  

The worst event happened when I was only about a year into EQ and I trained a group in ill omen at the FM zoneline.  I apologized for the death of their tank, payed for a res, and called my group over for a minute to help rebuff theirs.  Even after that I was still recieiving some pointed tells from someone else in the group who hadn't even died.  He was pissed because he lost about 20 minutes of play time.  He even complained to my guild leader at the time.  However the bright side, was I became good friends with a few members of that group and continued to group with them on occasion for the next 4 years.  My guild leader asked about the situation and promptly dismissed it.  

Wall of text aside, it really comes done to fostering a community where interaction is needed and encouraged.  Hell, EQ taught me basic communication and conflict resolution skills while I was still in middle school.  Trains are just another mechanic to be aware of in the game.  When I played EQ in the early days I never saw anyone who intentionally trained another, however I did hear about it occasionally.  Even turned down a ShadowKnIshtar for group because I had heard his name related to intentional trains.  Like you said Kilsin #CommunityMatters`

• 249 posts
    December 4, 2017 5:46 AM PST
    City of Mist had some random bugs where you'd pull a Mon and it would fall through the floor and disappear to the very back of the zone and of course pull the entire zone to you. As soon as the mob disappeared pullers would yell TRAIN and every group had to get to the zone line. A few times people would zone in at the worst possible time or would be afk at the zone line....I always felt bad. But what is a poor ranger to do?
    • 4 posts
    December 4, 2017 6:08 AM PST

Unrest... O the trains. So many trains. Was showing my brother what the game was about and he wanted to know what "Choo choo. Train to zone!" meant. Accidentally killed a group of low levels that just happened to zone in as i was running out. I was a max level Pally at the time so I tossed them all rezzes and then pulled mobs for them for the rest of the night.

• 626 posts
    December 4, 2017 6:21 AM PST

The Crushbone trains... Normally at level 9 or so I'd often die in a safe spot vs training the zoning, but I did train the zone by mistake a few times. Being new to the game, and not understanding what I was doing I would often take a route that lead me to believe I was safe. Only to found out once nearing the zone that a train of anger orcs was hot on my tail. Yelling TRAIN and then going to say I'm sorry to everyone who was at the zone with me was about all I could do at such a low level. As others I always felt bad, but then again it was a known part of the game so most understood and went about there day without issue. 

• 1785 posts
    December 4, 2017 6:55 AM PST

More times than I could count.  When I realized while it was happening I would usually just turn and fight to give them time to get away.  If it was after the fact, just apologize and help them CR.

• 1315 posts
    December 4, 2017 6:59 AM PST

To some degree I don't believe in the concept of trains.  It is a little unfair of a statement from a player that usually plays a monk but I will explain why.  All zones have an inherent risk to them, this risk includes the odds of receiving unwanted agro.  The tools you have to deal with the unwanted agro is dependent on class abilities.

By going into a dungeon with tight confines, limited paths of egress and high mob density you are accepting the high risk of chain agro.  Few people want to intentionally wipe another group with chain agro intentionally but it happens.  The worst is when someone with the ability to dump unwanted agro does so after chaining that agro onto another party. Again though this is an inherent risk to being in that area, especially if you are choosing to make camp on one of those limited egress paths.

That being said as someone who often played a monk I also had a corpse drag macro for an entire group and when I came across a wiped group, either through events I was involved in or not, I would offer to move the corpses to a semi safe location for rezes but I never felt responsible for arranging for or paying for rezes myself.

Now intentionally and maliciously chain agroing another group isn’t training, its harassment, and should be punished.  Proving that it was malicious is usually difficult unless a GM looks at the character logs.

Just my opinion though,

Trasak

P.S.  I hope that VR is able to make the zones such that other than guard posts there are few locations that mobs always are so that camps of the past do not really exist.

P.P.S It would also be nice if mob AI had an agro saturation effect that after a certain number of mobs were chasing a target the rest didn't bother.

This post was edited by Trasak at December 4, 2017 7:13 AM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 4, 2017 7:30 AM PST
    Whenever I train, it's always an "accident".
    • 999 posts
    December 4, 2017 7:36 AM PST

Pretty much any zone in EQ at some point as I often was the puller.. annnd typically, after apologizing, I discussed with the group at the zone line how it wasn't safe to fight there haha

• 3852 posts
    December 4, 2017 7:37 AM PST

I agree with Trasak - I do NOT like training one bit!

If players couldn't use it deliberately to harass or grief other players I wouldn't feel this way but they can and do use it that way. Players should not be allowed to kill other players on a pve server it is that simple. Training can be used to do that and, sadly, IS used to do that.

GMs are unlikely to take action except in the most egregious cases (that isn't a criticism, they shouldn't).

This post was edited by dorotea at December 4, 2017 7:37 AM PST
    • 1921 posts
    December 4, 2017 8:07 AM PST

Beefcake said: Whenever I train, it's always an "accident".

Yeah, exactly.  Intentionally training someone would be malicious, so it's always accidental.

• 98 posts
    December 4, 2017 10:33 AM PST

Ashvaild said: But what is a poor ranger to do?

Ranger gate? XD

Soooooo there was this funny incident in Chardok where I was accused of training a single rogue who was roaming around the lev tunnel (where the iksar betrayer spawns) for some reason (??), but it is complicated and I'm pretty sure they ran themselves headlong into the train after I was dead, and also after I led the train AWAY from them. Back story: I'm a high level druid with Succor, and I had a charmed dog whom we named Killer.

Well, one mob we're fighting turns and flees...into a wall. Killer, being a good dog when not chewing on my leg, faithfully followed to kill the mob. Of course, it chases this mob to who knows where in the zone and we start seeing mobs in the distance go nuts. Killer dies messily and very quickly in the far off reaches of Chardok and I start casting Succor. "We're gonna live!" I think as the spell goes off. Everyone in the group makes a mystical portal...except for me. IT LEFT ME BEHIND. AHHHH!!! I don't have enough mana for another cast, and I can see the train heading for me. I run up the tunnel a little ways and then die horribly and it's very sad. The necro had to rez me.

Well, my group leader starts getting complaints about how I trained some rogue who, unbeknownst to me, was creeping around in the lower part of the tunnel. Um, I ran away from there? Outrageous. I'm still bitter. My spell betrayed me and I was falsely accused. Many injustices occurred that day.

• 60 posts
    December 4, 2017 10:42 AM PST

A long time ago when I was younger, I accidently trained the zone line in Crushbone where there was a group fighting.  I blamed it on the dwarven rogue that was at the zone line soloing.  Everyone believed the pious cleric over the sneaky rogue.  Though the zone knew I was the one that did it, but we roleplayed it off.  When ever I ran into the rogue later on, including grouping a few times, we would always tease each other about who was going to train to the zone first.  Trains were to be feared, but were a natural part of gameplay.  As long as the train is not malicious, you get back on your feet and move on.

• 9115 posts
    December 4, 2017 3:23 PM PST

Lol, love the stories, keep them coming, folks! :)

• 1281 posts
    December 4, 2017 6:24 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Have you ever accidentally trained someone? If so, how did it happen and how did you make it up to them? #PRF #communitymatters

Yepperz....  Blackburrow....hehehe  Luckily, they were very understanding.

• 19 posts
    December 4, 2017 8:57 PM PST

TRAIN TO MM ZONE!

This post was edited by Rucus at December 4, 2017 8:57 PM PST
    • 334 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:40 AM PST

made bad pulls, but never trained; not even accidentally
    I always used evac/exodus/died (wizzy in EQ)
    Though it is possible I left mobs in locations after my escape where unsuspecting players had not expect them to be.

• 7 posts
    December 5, 2017 6:18 AM PST

Ghoul Lord to ZL.... choo choo

• 2138 posts
    December 5, 2017 7:30 AM PST

Oh Gosh

We went to sebs to hunt scarabs for gems on that nice, low roamer, platform just before crypt. It was taken so someone suggested Disco. We wanted to try crypt but we didnt have a rogue. We invised as far as possible and got into disco, it was hard for us, lots of medding. The SK was able to split the groups where need be although the place was tight, the enchanter helped immensely. Another group came down and went to disco 2 and the place started to fill up. 

It was a chain reaction, the monk in he second group got up too soon while the SK was on the other side of the door, he trained his mobs away from us and wiped. we were working on one when their entire population came at us!. Chanter went down dfirst, druid could not get Succor or port off in time, SK FD ws not refreshed, Cleric grabbed aggro from healing the SK, i sent elemental after 2 to buy some time, knowing I could not keep up with the heals. cleric went down and I started to run.

the way out was repopulated with frogs, I knew I was getting aggro because I heard (read) them come after me adn take a few swipes. thankefully none of those hits stunned me. I ran past the group hunting scarabs. I thought I was far enough away not to bother them. I grabbed all the frogs on that corridor, ran up,  through the hallway pulling those, and up the ramp to the place we zoned in where there were 20-25 people that had just zoned in.

It was my first time in sebs so I didnt know the zone out was another way! I ran through the crowd to the back frantically looiking for the zone out- I wanted to get out before the fogs got too close so they would turn around and go back.

Horrified I turned around as they call came charging up. I died first.

I started to run back and a stranger offered me a rez, saving me some time. When I got in the chatter was " WHO was the clown that trained us!" I was like " ....yeah! sheesh! oh, my group is in disco thik one of your rogues can drag them up?" and answer " sure...what do you mean you were in disco?"  I replied, " I meant the group I was meeting with was in disco, I just zoned in. yeah they told me they just died" then the question " who trained the disco to zone in?!"

I almost wiped their whole force, they were doing trak for a bard. thier cleric camped instantly and their necro disbanded and FD'd

I didn't have the heart to fess up. reputation was everything and these were people I wanted to possibly run into again in sebs, and besides by that time/level if you were in sebs you knew not to train AND you knew where the exit was- heh.

This post was edited by Manouk at December 5, 2017 7:36 AM PST
    • 753 posts
    December 5, 2017 6:29 PM PST

There was a guy on the Karana server who had a reputation of pulling stuff he couldn't handle - solo - and then training it to groups yelling for help.  Ran into him two or three times across the years. It usually involved him trying to kill a named.