Forums » The Humans

Evil-aligned humans

• 13 posts
    December 2, 2017 6:21 PM PST
    What are your thoughts on evil-aligned humans? On classic Everquest there was the Shrine of Bertoxxulous headquartered beneath Qeynos, cultists with an agenda to spread disease across the world. The Freeport humans worshipped Innoruuk the good of hate I believe the group was called the 'Dismal Rage'.

What do you think the devs will do or what would you like to see?
    • 419 posts
    December 2, 2017 6:40 PM PST

Humans are a neutral race, which means they can be evil or goodly aligned. In EQ the human's alignment was directly tied to their class / deity choice. since we do not know how diety choice plays into anything in Pantheon yet, we can only be sure that class would shift alignment. Dire Lord and Necromancer seem like the only outright evil classes. Rogue, Warrior, Monk, Priest, Shaman, Wizard, Echanter, Conjurer, and Bard would seem to be neutral classes. Druid, Ranger, Paladin are generally goodly classes. I would think race would determine if a neutral class shifts alignment. Until we know if there will be more than one diety choice per race i think this is how it will go.

I am expecting to see some kind of diety choice in game though, maybe even a faction alignment choice. Think a Rogue who might align with a crime syndicate faction or some such. 

• 13 posts
    December 2, 2017 8:01 PM PST
    Besides the obvious 'evil' classes, I think, Humans should be able to follow almost any religion unless you are a paladin or something. I think a human player playing a class like a wizard, warrior even an enchanter should have the choice of choosing any religion or alignment unlike elves or any of the other more 'spiritual' races
    • 13 posts
    December 2, 2017 8:01 PM PST
    Besides the obvious 'evil' classes, I think, Humans should be able to follow almost any religion unless you are a paladin or something. I think a human player playing a class like a wizard, warrior even an enchanter should have the choice of choosing any religion or alignment unlike elves or any of the other more 'spiritual' races
    • 13 posts
    December 3, 2017 1:46 AM PST

trakanon said: Besides the obvious 'evil' classes, I think, Humans should be able to follow almost any religion unless you are a paladin or something. 

What about those humans (or any other race) that dedicate themselves wholly to an Evil Diety? Could they become Paladins?  They are fully invested in seeing their chosen Diety elevated above all, ready to do tasks and complete objectiives required by their Malevolent Patron...

Should they count as Unholy Paladins?

• 71 posts
    December 3, 2017 2:43 AM PST

Morpheus said:

What about those humans (or any other race) that dedicate themselves wholly to an Evil Diety? Could they become Paladins?  They are fully invested in seeing their chosen Diety elevated above all, ready to do tasks and complete objectiives required by their Malevolent Patron...

Should they count as Unholy Paladins?

I believe a Unholy Paladin (old D&D reference) is called a Shadow Knight in more common terminology and in Pantheon would be called a Dire Lord. While the human race can be good, neutral or evil the class then would define there alignment. In EQ2 this was defined by for example Paladins / Shadowknights, Rangers / Assassins, Mystics / Defilers, etc.

• 491 posts
    December 3, 2017 1:05 PM PST

Here‘s hoping that Humans have a panoply of deities - given their rich selection of classes and varied interests. As a bard I will pledge myself to the goddess of brewing, muse of music, or perhaps lord of the dance (no... not Michael Flatley). Evil factions / cults have been a recurring theme in Brad’s worlds (conflict begets legends), I would not be surprised to see them in Pantheon.

• 854 posts
    December 10, 2017 9:07 AM PST

With Humans able to be any class, it does mean that some Humans will be good aligned, others neutral and the rest evil.  The real question is how will evil humans be dealt with within the one city (it is assumed only 1 city for humans) where Dire Lords might very well be KOS Paladin guild and vice versa?  Will we see things like the underground tunnels/sewers in Freeport that had allowed evil races to get from West Freeport over to the docks leading to Ocean of Tears?  Having different classes that need to worry about where they travel within their starting city would be quite interesting.  You might possibly need double of many things like the bank.

• 13 posts
    December 10, 2017 10:20 AM PST

That's a great question. If there is a difference in 'Racial' faction and 'Reputation' faction an evil Human Dire Lord, for example, could pretty much explore the entire city except maybe the headquarters of the Paladin where they are kill on sight (KOS) for Dire Lords and other evil Human religion followers. Or they may be extremely low reputation (glowering) in which case the NPC's will ignore the player but if the player lowers their faction any more then they would become KOS. I hope the human city has a variety of NPC's on different factions like a merchants or guards who loves good players and other merhcant and NPC's who are secretly evil aligned the only you may be able to tell is by killing them to see the faction change or by 'coning' to see what they think about you the player. In other cases, a very good aligned Holy Cleric for example if he ventures down to the catacombs where the guild of the evil Human religion is based, the NPC's guards down there might well kill the good aligned players on sight if they go too deep in their area.

Now let's say Ogre or a Skar, who follows the same evil religion that our Human Direlord loves or perhaps even an Ogre Warrior who is agnostic, makes his way into the city of Thronefast: because of his race his 'racial' faction to the same Human NPC's will be much lower and he will be KOS only because of the race which starts with a much lower (negative) score. I hope faction can be gained by completing recurring quests and killing NPC's or monsters so that at any point, after MUCH work and time invested, an ogre direlord can be welcome inside certain parts of Thronefast that would be really cool IMO.

This post was edited by trakanon at December 10, 2017 10:25 AM PST
    • 2695 posts
    December 11, 2017 6:16 AM PST

Vandraad said:

With Humans able to be any class, it does mean that some Humans will be good aligned, others neutral and the rest evil.  The real question is how will evil humans be dealt with within the one city (it is assumed only 1 city for humans) where Dire Lords might very well be KOS Paladin guild and vice versa?  Will we see things like the underground tunnels/sewers in Freeport that had allowed evil races to get from West Freeport over to the docks leading to Ocean of Tears?  Having different classes that need to worry about where they travel within their starting city would be quite interesting.  You might possibly need double of many things like the bank.

I'd say so. That is likely the difference between "faction" and "alignment" in the description from the FAQ:

4.6 Are races going to have specific factions at creation and will there be instances where an evil race character can’t run to a good city?

Yes. While there are some nuances to faction and alignment adjustment, evil races such as the Ogre, Skar, and Dark Myr will have a hard time getting close to good race cities. This is not set in stone, however, as you can adjust your faction and alignment through your actions in the game world.

The way I look at it, action is mostly based on race and alignment is mostly based on class. Different subdivisions within races is probably part of the "nuances" they're referring to. A band of Human Rogues that live under the city and rob people are not going to be very well-liked by an order of Human Clerics. This is opposed to that same order of Human Clerics also not liking the order of Dark Myr Clerics, or any Dark Myr for that matter. Seems logical to me.