Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Question about Spells and Skills

• 17 posts
    December 1, 2017 10:34 AM PST

I was wondering how the spell and skill system was going to work? Is it going to be like Everquest is where you get all spell/skills and you decide how you want to use them? Or will it be like say Neverwinter and rift where you can pick a class and then choose the way you want to build it  and then have to pay/reset your skills in someway if you want to do something else in a situation or just play different all together? I ask because while I sit here waiting for this hopefully amazing game to release... I'm really craving to play some Neverwinter. However i know if i were to get into it, i'd basically have to pay to reset all my skills rather in game or IRL money to get back "on par" with the current content/balance changes Or Re-roll the class completley and look up a bunch of BIS skill guides to make sure I pick and choose the right spells/skill on my way up. I'm really hoping pantheon is a game i can walk away from for 3 months at a time and the only thing seperating me from the next guy in my same class is an experience level and maybe some gold to buy the next upgraded spell in a specific line. Not a complete re-work of my class 

and while i'm on it, i'll admit i did no forum searching, But are tradeskills going to be limited like they are in WoW where you can only level say 2 skills at a time. Or like EQ where you can do all of them minus say like tinkering which is gnomes only. 

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 1, 2017 3:06 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    December 1, 2017 10:39 AM PST

It will be much like EQ but built upon with new more exciting things, like the Living Codex for example. All of that is in the FAQ https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/ ; though this might answer it simply:

"Pantheon is a traditional level based system with skills and abilities that are unlocked and practiced as you level up. Some customization and specialization will be present, but never to the point where a warrior ceases to be a warrior."

Tradeskills are going to be limited to 1 profession per character. 

This post was edited by Iksar at December 1, 2017 10:41 AM PST
    • 17 posts
    December 1, 2017 10:41 AM PST

right on thanks dude

• 1303 posts
    December 1, 2017 10:51 AM PST

The things that sound a bit different than EQ in the spells/skills category are,

1) you will not have an unlimited number of spells/skills available in combat. If I recall correctly they are leaning toward requiring you to choose which spells/skills you're going to have available in a given fight, and you need to be out of combat to swap them out. So if you get into the fight and realize you really should have had SkillX or SpellY memorized, you're screwed. 

2) There will be teirs of spells/skills in the game. So you might have the base level Fireball spell, but if you want the suped up FIREBALL spell you need to find it, or find a trainer in the bottom of a dungeon that will train it, or something along those lines. 

Again, this is going from (an admittedly suspect) memory. So don't quote me on it. 

• 3237 posts
    December 1, 2017 11:00 AM PST

It's also my understanding that hotbars will be limited.  Brad mentioned a few ideas that could allow players to switch up their ability bars mid-fight, but they would be circumstantial.  The first one was waves ... not exactly sure how it would work with these but my guess is that you could rotate your abilities around in between wave phases.  The second option was being able to temporarily disengage.  This might require assistance from another class but I think the opportunity to switch stuff up will exist, even if it's only temporary or situational.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 1, 2017 11:02 AM PST
    • 17 posts
    December 1, 2017 11:04 AM PST

Feyshtey said:

The things that sound a bit different than EQ in the spells/skills category are,

1) you will not have an unlimited number of spells/skills available in combat. If I recall correctly they are leaning toward requiring you to choose which spells/skills you're going to have available in a given fight, and you need to be out of combat to swap them out. So if you get into the fight and realize you really should have had SkillX or SpellY memorized, you're screwed. 

2) There will be teirs of spells/skills in the game. So you might have the base level Fireball spell, but if you want the suped up FIREBALL spell you need to find it, or find a trainer in the bottom of a dungeon that will train it, or something along those lines. 

Again, this is going from (an admittedly suspect) memory. So don't quote me on it. 

i mean this is exactly how EQ is minus not being able to swap mid combat. 

• 1303 posts
    December 1, 2017 11:13 AM PST

For spells, yes. That's excatly how the spell set works. It is not how teh skill set works. You can have every non-spell skill you have in one of the 10 hotkey bars available to you. 

And the tiered spells/skills is only a relatively recent development in EQ. For the 1st several years you had ABC available at level X. You got those from your trainers. There were certain spells starting in Kunark you could only get as drops. But not skills. It was only latter that there was spell rank I/II/III. 

• 31 posts
    December 2, 2017 10:06 PM PST
    I like having more than one hit at for items emotes and other commands, but prefer a limited number of abilities usable at any one instant. Eq2’s massive hot bar setups and distinct cooldowns was one of the biggest turnoffs for me.
    • 1095 posts
    December 9, 2017 1:31 PM PST

xilith said: I like having more than one hit at for items emotes and other commands, but prefer a limited number of abilities usable at any one instant. Eq2’s massive hot bar setups and distinct cooldowns was one of the biggest turnoffs for me.

lol man eq2 dps was just clicking the right abilities in the correct order fast enough to get them when they get right off cooldown lol

This post was edited by Aich at December 9, 2017 1:32 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    December 10, 2017 3:02 AM PST
    Not having played EQ before, I adore the idea of having to find a trainer somewhere in the world to increase your skills. Sounds fantastic