Forums » News and Announcements

Making of a City Stream!

• 220 posts
    November 21, 2017 5:13 PM PST

I have an interesting observation from the video that, if anyone cares to comment on it, i would be honored.  I was legitimately surprised to see the Arches of Havensong being constructed inside of Thronefast.  Based on the original concepts, as well as a renderring we had seen previously, and some lore, I expected the arches were built at the ancient location of Havensong, outdoors.  

See:

Arch concept

And: 

Render

Lore:

1. Havensong was founded in a forest at the base of the roans, thronefast is a costal city

2. Havensong, the first stronghold of humans on terminus was founded by king Amensol, father of Avendyr.

3. Amensol died on the battlefield the very night his city, his dream was lost to ossari's rage

4. Avendyr dredged up the city from the cliffs of ru'lun and built the arches from its debris. 

5. To stand under the arches is to feel the travails of the humans on terminus.

What better place to experience the travails than to stand upon the battlefield and see the emptiness Ossari left behind, and to look upon the land that claimed its first king? Where would Avendyr build a monument to his father's city, his father's dream, than at the location itb used to stand?

This post was edited by Larr at November 21, 2017 6:45 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    November 21, 2017 5:24 PM PST

fatesmith, ****, take my money. 

• 287 posts
    November 21, 2017 6:56 PM PST
    What an amazing look intro the city! I normally don't play humans but I love the concepts in the city and it is stunning. Looks like a human character will happen in this game. These streams help with the wait.
    • 2419 posts
    November 21, 2017 7:18 PM PST

I knew a carpenter who made very good custom kitchen cabinets that were quite expensive.  I asked him why his cabinets were so expensive and he said 'because we sand smooth all those things you never see'.  Basically he was saying because he paid a huge amount of attention to things nobody would ever notice if he did it or not, his cabinets were worth the price.  When that stream started and they were talking about the grass and the undergrowth.  It made me think of paying attention to things that so few people will ever really notice.  While the foliage looks amazing, I just wonder how quickly it will become invisible. 

I also wonder, still, how this will affect the system specs and what will be needed to display all this at 60FPS with 50+ people, particle effects, armor, weapons, etc all on a screen.  I do not know how well the Unity engine deals with this and what type of video card software will be needed like AMD's FreeSyc or Nvidia's GSync.  Are system specifications being taken into consideration with all this graphical wondery?

This post was edited by Vandraad at November 21, 2017 8:11 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    • 54 posts
    November 21, 2017 8:18 PM PST

If the game is even half as beautiful as the grass and gate at the entrance I'll be thrilled.

Thanks a ton for the great stream! The progress is amazing.

• 249 posts
    November 21, 2017 9:47 PM PST
    While he was describing the buildings and market I pictured everything in my head....really looking forward to exploring this world. So much thought put into everything...can't wait.
    • 74 posts
    November 21, 2017 9:56 PM PST

I was really impressed by the level of detail that goes into creating a starting city. I can tell the team really cares about the project. Keep up the exceptional work and thank you for the effort.

• 28 posts
    November 21, 2017 10:47 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

This is pre-alpha work in progress,  those details will come Haskar.  Under development,  pre-alpha, then alpha then beta.    This game isn't ready for early access or sneak peeks,  whole lotta testing and feedback from testers to be done yet.    

Cana

Thanks but I already knew that. 

The impression this stream left on me was that the city will have a similar look and feel as i.e. Plane of Knowledge in EQ1. Some fancy houses (really fancy tbh) and a lot of free space in between. They said they put grey boxes to see how much space they have left. I never saw a grey box for ordinary houses. Also, in the design drawing of the training place I didn’t see any basic sketches (sinple boxes would have done it) for surrounding housing places.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the stream and I can see that VR is putting a lot of effort and love in the game. I am just anxious that there will be awesome buildings and sounds and all that but the actual live or soul of a city is being missed out.

compare EQ1s Plane of Knowledge to Vanguards New Targonor.

• 35 posts
    November 22, 2017 12:24 AM PST

The church and the promise of it, made me religious!

• 133 posts
    November 22, 2017 1:12 AM PST
    I LOVED the stream! Thank you! Watching the game take shape behind the scenes and really understanding how much work is needed for even the smallest details is so cool and awe-inspiring. And witnessing the passion that goes into all if it is really great.

On a personal note: not long ago I re-watched a video on YouTube about how CD Project Red created Beauclair, complete with the gray boxes. I also spent days in ES Oblivion (I think it was that game that came with the tool set) building castles, waterfalls, gardens and huts, all abodes with complex interiors and NPC's, for my character. It was so much fun, a ton of work and very rewarding. I also created a Sith Temple mod for me and my friends for a Jedi Knight MP game (before EQ). This type of stuff simply fascinates me.

And I also really like thinking about what kinds of things give a game a soul. Community-building is the most important part, I think, but also things like NPCs reacting to things also beyond your character (having lives of their own, if you will), brief buzzing sound if an insect, grass moving when you walk (like you showed in your stream), all make a game come alive. Where do NPCs live? What do they do for a living in this part of the world? Are NPCs less caring in big cities? Are NPCs more nosey in smaller, sleepy villages? In how many ways does culture influence a way of life?

I can't wait to be part of the PA and see the game grow around us, and give feedback along the way. I will do my best to help bring the player's, well, at least this one player's, perspective to the table.
    • 483 posts
    November 22, 2017 2:23 AM PST

I'm a bit sad the old Thronefast got scrapped, I preferred it's pointy towers, darker stones and "semi-gothic" architecture, made it feel like camelot in a way.

I'm liking the scale of the city it's huge and it feels epic, but at the same time all that empty space made the city appear uninhabited and not real.

This might be because the area we saw was the entrance/plaza so it's suposed to look spacious and grandiose, but a few living quarters for the nobles wouldn't hurt, it would give some life to the city and make it feel more cozy. Maybe the majority of the living quarters can be placed in the back of the city in a more cramped zone to give that authenthic feel of an actual city not just a castle with useful buildings.

• 248 posts
    November 22, 2017 4:21 AM PST

Thank you for the stream, I really enjoyed it :D

It it always interesting to learn how things are done and now it is going to be really exiting to follow the development of the city (at least I hope I will be able to follow it), being able to see what is new from time to time. Thank you for taking the time to explain, really looking forward to next stream!

-sorte.

• 18 posts
    November 22, 2017 6:55 AM PST

Now we just need a stream to showcase the druid, paladin, dire lord, and summoner (or go ahead and give a sneak peak of the necro/bard if you want to make my day!).

I'm dying to see VRs interpretation of these classes.

~Winter

• 53 posts
    November 22, 2017 10:17 AM PST

Great stream. Just wondering what the lore is for all those big lances along the walls. Maybe big enough to take on a dragon?

• 3016 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:24 PM PST

I like how the mobs move...like the snake actually slithering through the grass,  COHH pointed his camera down at that,   at the previous livestream there was a spider running through the grass.  No more static mobs,  they all move and are "living" things.  :)   Very impressed by the shadows cast by trees,  tree leaf movement,  cloud movement,  and water.    A living breathing virtual world. :)    You've come a long way VR and I am very impressed. :)

Cana

• 1281 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:40 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

I like how the mobs move...like the snake actually slithering through the grass,  COHH pointed his camera down at that,   at the previous livestream there was a spider running through the grass.  No more static mobs,  they all move and are "living" things.  :)   Very impressed by the shadows cast by trees,  tree leaf movement,  cloud movement,  and water.    A living breathing virtual world. :)    You've come a long way VR and I am very impressed. :)

Cana

The snakes "wiggled" a bit unnaturally fast to me.  Hopefully that is going to be tuned.