Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

What are you doing to your pc to get ready?

• 11 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:10 AM PST

I'm broke so i'm swapping out my motherboard with a better model since it was free and going from 8 gigs of ram to 16 to be safe. 

• 26 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:12 AM PST

Brand new build. On my third MB and 2nd processor. Would to the wise. STAY AWAY FROM x99 chipset.

• 11 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:19 AM PST

Smart doing a brand new build. I'm going to stick with a Risen on next build. I'm just glad Risen supports DDR 4 and will be faster than my AMD 8320 which is junk. I miss Intel but now that I have kids and have to upgrade all 4 of their computers it empties my wallet lol. I was given a 1050Ti 4 gig card but i'm sure I will be better off with an 8 gig later. 

• 769 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:30 AM PST

I'm pretty resigned to the idea that i'll need a whole new machine once release gets closer. My computer is old as dirt. It plays Skyrim on lowest settings (barely). Last MMO I played regularly (besides P99) was LOTRO, about 6 years ago, and even then it had issues when a lot of going on in-game. 

Sigh. 

Poll for the masses. For someone like myself that has no idea how to build a PC himself, and has no local friends that would be willing to help, should I look to purchase a new one at a retail outlet, or a pre-built gaming PC through a forum like Craigslist?

• 2752 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:32 AM PST

Going to build a brand new top end PC maybe a month from launch, until then my old rig should hold up fine. Likely going to be a full AMD/Ryzen build, hopefully the next AMD GPU is out by then as I am mostly unimpressed with the specs/reviews of Vega, but I want to be able to continue taking advantage of my freesync monitor in the future.

Tralyan said:

Poll for the masses. For someone like myself that has no idea how to build a PC himself, and has no local friends that would be willing to help, should I look to purchase a new one at a retail outlet, or a pre-built gaming PC through a forum like Craigslist?

It isn't very hard to build a PC these days. I remember being terrified building my first one only to find it not so bad, I thought I would break a delicate part or something but it turns out the components are all very sturdy. 

Attach CPU to motherboard, attach heatsink/fan to CPU housing, slot the RAM in, mount motherboard to tower, slot in GPU, attach hard drives, put power supply in and plug in the various cables, make sure all cables plugged in including fans/audio, close case, boot PC. If it doesn't boot then troubleshoot. Only time I had one not boot was because it turned out the wire connected to the tower's power button was nicked, so I had to turn it on manually with the motherboard. 

This post was edited by Iksar at November 15, 2017 11:42 AM PST
    • 11 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:40 AM PST

I want a new monitor also. I'm waiting on prices to drop though. I'm not buying into all the hype. So many people try to act like you can't play games or win anymore unless you have 120hz or higher monitor. 

• 2752 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:46 AM PST

Darkgnite said:

I want a new monitor also. I'm waiting on prices to drop though. I'm not buying into all the hype. So many people try to act like you can't play games or win anymore unless you have 120hz or higher monitor. 

I just got a 144hz freesync monitor a few months back and I can say it is a noticeable difference, but not so huge that games change dramatically (FPS or fast pace games see the most benefit). 

I got this one: http://www.nixeus.com/product/nixeus-edg27/ ;  but I am curious to see if HDR monitors and freesync 2 are relatively common & at least somewhat affordable by Pantheon launch.

• 769 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:50 AM PST

Iksar said:

Going to build a brand new top end PC maybe a month from launch, until then my old rig should hold up fine. Likely going to be a full AMD/Ryzen build, hopefully the next AMD GPU is out by then as I am mostly unimpressed with the specs/reviews of Vega, but I want to be able to continue taking advantage of my freesync monitor in the future.

Tralyan said:

It isn't very hard to build a PC these days. I remember being terrified building my first one only to find it not so bad, I thought I would break a delicate part or something but it turns out the components are all very sturdy. 

Attach CPU to motherboard, attach heatsink/fan to CPU housing, slot the RAM in, mount motherboard to tower, slot in GPU, attach hard drives, put power supply in and plug in the various cables, make sure all cables plugged in including fans/audio, close case, boot PC. If it doesn't boot then troubleshoot. Only time I had one not boot was because it turned out the wire connected to the tower's power button was nicked, so I had to turn it on manually with the motherboard. 

It's not so much the building of it that scares me, as it is the deciding on which parts to use for the building. 

I mean, I don't know what motherboard works best with what video card or what the difference is between types of RAM or how big of a power supply I'll need or how that's even determined. Nor do I know if anything I just said makes even a modicum of sense. 

The idea of purchasing parts for a new computer, only to have them not work, or to have them work but not be optimal for my overall build, is what deters me from attempting. 

• 12 posts
    November 15, 2017 11:52 AM PST

I bought a house and moved out so I can test pre-alpha in peace. It's amazing what those data vacs can do for your PC temp though.

This post was edited by Sarkden at November 15, 2017 11:53 AM PST
    • 98 posts
    November 15, 2017 1:55 PM PST

Recently built a decent rig for about $650, my first build ever. I used pcpartpicker to figure out what pieces I wanted (they automatically check for compatibility) and then went to Microcenter and one of the workers there was very helpful figuring out alternatives to things they didn't carry and price-matching amazon, etc.

Building the thing was a whole nother story, though. Mistake #1: letting my dad help me :X

I recommend looking up youtube video tutorials when it comes to putting everything together. It does take a few hours and can be super frustrating but once it's all done you have a nice machine that is upgradable and cheaper than the prebuilt stuff.

• 1785 posts
    November 15, 2017 2:39 PM PST

I recently bought a new PC because the old one had several components that were no longer supported by their manufacturers.  I overbuilt it, so it should still be pretty good when Pantheon finally launches.  At most, I will need to upgrade the video card, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

As for how I built it - I have been working in technology for way too long and have long since gotten sick of building my own PCs.  So, I always go to reputable OEMs/System Builders and work with them to get what I want.  I also usually get a 3-year warranty on just about everything that way, which is nice on the off chance something does break.  It's probably slightly more expensive than building it myself, but I prefer the long-term peace of mind.  That may sound strange, but the last 20 years or so of my career has been helping companies through situations where their technology broke down or failed, sometimes in spectacular ways.  It tends to make you cynical about hardware lifespans (as well as a few other things that don't apply so much to PC building) :)

• 3852 posts
    November 15, 2017 3:35 PM PST

I am doing not a single thing - yet.

We are probably at least 9 months away from beta and until then it isn't really going to be that much like playing a game. 

For games like EQ and LOTRO a better monitor and super video card figure to be negatives - the graphics aren't going to be any better than what they are and framerate will go down drastically.

For that matter they aren't likely to be all that helpful in Pantheon either but I'll upgrade anyway closer to the day.

• 71 posts
    November 15, 2017 4:13 PM PST

I just rebuilt my pc a couple years ago, so I'm hoping I won't have to upgrade everything again.  Been on the fence about upgrading from my Crosshair V / fx-8350 to a Crosshair VI / Ryzen combo.  I'm not sold it will make enough difference to warrant the price.  Same applies to my graphics cards I guess.  I suppose I will just have to wait and see how my rig performs during testing.

• 38 posts
    November 15, 2017 4:23 PM PST

I'm getting an entirely new build.  Not top, top, top of the line, but pretty darn close.  Very happy.

• 49 posts
    November 15, 2017 4:28 PM PST

My wife and I are due for new builds. I'm running an i7-3820 built in 2012 and she's using a triple channel set up from 2009. We'll be building around the i5-8400. Hers just came in today.

• 2752 posts
    November 15, 2017 5:42 PM PST

Tralyan said:

It's not so much the building of it that scares me, as it is the deciding on which parts to use for the building. 

I mean, I don't know what motherboard works best with what video card or what the difference is between types of RAM or how big of a power supply I'll need or how that's even determined. Nor do I know if anything I just said makes even a modicum of sense. 

The idea of purchasing parts for a new computer, only to have them not work, or to have them work but not be optimal for my overall build, is what deters me from attempting. 

Use pcpartpicker.com . It's a fantastic site to put together a PC (or take someone elses build specs to buy) that guides you along as you pick the parts and checks to make sure the parts are compatible. If unsure you can always put one together and post the parts on reddit over at /r/buildapc  

Saves a lot of money. 

• 1404 posts
    November 15, 2017 7:27 PM PST

Not doing a thing... yet

They say pantheon should run OK on an older pc. MI'm is several years old and my wife's even older (10 years).

I have alpha access but my wife doesn't. I'll be loading the game to both pc's and reporting on the machine configuration vs performance at that time.

THEN I'll deside what I need to do.

• 56 posts
    November 15, 2017 7:55 PM PST

I really want to see how the game will perform on my current rig before I do anything. If i find out that my PC can't handle it by the time beta rolls around I will start preparing for a new PC.

• 11 posts
    November 15, 2017 8:11 PM PST

I'll buy a new rig before launch, but I wan't to try and test PA on this dino;)

• 844 posts
    November 15, 2017 10:46 PM PST

It's Unity, should not be a performance beast. Won't take a monster rig.

If you seriously want to step to the next level, get a decent video card and go 4K.

I did over 18 months ago and still find the 4K visuals amazing. Vastly superior to HD and vastly superior to any gimmicky high hertz HD display.

4K, the biggest "wow" moment in PC tech since SSDs.

• 1281 posts
    November 16, 2017 5:50 AM PST

I built a brand new PC in Mar of 2017.  A pretty monster one with two 27" 4k monitors.  I spent a stupid amount of money on it, but MUCH less than if I had bought it pre-built....heheheheh.  That being said, sometime in Feb of 2018, I wiill be upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and RAM sometime in Feb/Mar for one of the new Coffee Lake 6-core procs.

• 3852 posts
    November 16, 2017 7:40 AM PST

Zewtastic (or anyone else) have you played MMOs in 4K? 

I've heard that it doesn't much improve the looks (at least on older games not made with 4K in mind) but reduces framerate quite a bit because of the higher native resolution.

Does this match your experience?

Second question for anyone familiar with Unity - whatever 4K does for games like LOTRO or EQ2 or Rift or SWTOR is it likely to improve the looks of a Unity game? 

I am trying to talk myself into a 4K monitor and a video card or cards to support it - but so far I have rolled my savings throws.

• 260 posts
    November 16, 2017 8:46 AM PST

I am going to see how things go through Alpha/Beta before I decide what to do. CPU advances in the last 5+ years have been so small compared to earlier times. My i7-4770K seems to be good enough. I would probably look at upgrading the 1060 video card first then take it from there. By the time we get to Beta the 1170-1270's probably will be out. 

• 9 posts
    November 16, 2017 10:15 AM PST

regarding 4k... i would wait. the next series of nvidia gpu, volta, will likely be much more powerful than the 1080ti. and that will make the '70 or '80 series card as strong as the 1080ti but cheaper. the problem is that at 4k resolution in ultra, both top video cards have trouble averaging even 60fps. 4K 120hz is rumored to be out early next year. it will be ungodly overpriced, but it should again push 60hz 4k down in price. 

• 3016 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:00 AM PST

Absolutely nothing other than making sure my PC is upto date with any recent patches.     They will be wanting data from from all types of machines in the end ..so that the game works on low end and high end.   Pretty sure my machine is middle ground.   Not going to any extra expense,  and not panicking that I might not have a top of the line machine.   Not everyone can afford those.  :)

Cana