Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

I demand...

• 98 posts
    November 14, 2017 11:28 AM PST

...a pronunciation guide for everything! How do you say all these names? Is it Ar-kai or Artch-ai? Ni-ther or Nai-ther? Does the apostrophe in Baaka'rrn mean we have to do a click or is it just a glottal stop? What languages are all these phonemes coming from?

Someone from VR needs to make a video guide for us. End the debate before it begins!

• 2752 posts
    November 14, 2017 11:44 AM PST

To quote the loremaster from another pronunciation thread: 

Istuulamae said:

Great work, Zorkon! I'll add my two cents on the matter -

S'iolaen - see-o-lay-n (Correct, less syllables, See-o-lane. Also have a note below on this)

Su' Roa - Sue-row-ah (Sue-row-uh)

Atahaen - At-ah-hay-n (AH-ta-hayn)

Esqaps - ass-kaps (Es-caps)

Nothi - No-th- eye (Noth-ee)

Maidyn - Mayden (May-den)

Sorhiryth - Sor-here-ith (Pretty much, Soar-here-ith)

Kiri - Kee-ree (Kear-ee)

Molsth - Mol-sith (Mole-sith)

Lyone - Lee-on (Lay-own OR Lee-own)

When you're speaking some of these names they're of course more tight phonetically than we've broken them out here. For instance with Kiri, you'd say it pretty quickly and not belabor either syllable. Similarly with S'iolaen, it sounds more like "Syo-lane" because of how quickly you'd say it. 

While this is fun and informative, I hope no one feels constrained by pronounciation guides or gets too hung up on getting them "right". Our real world has lots of pronunciation variances. I mispronounce names all the time, even in our world and with names I've created. I anxiously await the day someone corrects me in front of an audience of people. 

Thanks for caring and sharing!

• 3016 posts
    November 14, 2017 1:23 PM PST

And then we'll have over time, people shortening those words,   Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen,  is mostly just referred to as Pantheon these days.  Or PROTF   I look forward to seeing what people do with these words.   But hey there is still some confusion about how to pronounce names of things in EQ,  so  Qeynos for an example (SonyEq backwards)  some think that its pronounced Qwaynos...well that would be true if it was spelled Queynos...its just a very simple "Kee nos" pronunciation :)  no "u".    

Lyone - Lee-on (Lay-own OR Lee-own) - reminds me of the French word Lyons,  would indeed be pronounced  Lee On.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 14, 2017 1:23 PM PST
    • 106 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:09 PM PST

I demand proper titles to posts in which the content therein is generally referred. 

But we can't always get what we want.

• 2886 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:33 PM PST

FierinaFuryfist said: 

we can't always get what we want.

But if you try sometimes... you just might find-- nevermind lol.

@OP You have become better at Clickbait! (37)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 14, 2017 2:33 PM PST
    • 753 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:36 PM PST

LOL - there's (ALMOST) nothing worse from an MMO perspective than pronouncing something a certain way for YEARS... and then hearing a dev in some live stream or other pronounce it completely differently...

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 14, 2017 2:36 PM PST
    • 24 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:41 PM PST

Even in real life people don't pronounce names the same.  I don't believe there needs to be only one way.  I enjoy hearing different interpretations.

• 98 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:49 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

@OP You have become better at Clickbait! (37)

One step closer to my goal of becoming the MMO version of Coyote Peterson! Maybe a mod will edit it to say "Desire to learn about the linguistic nuances and pronunciations of place/people names in Pantheon", which of course would be both more accurate and more boring.

Most fantasy MMOs have a good mix of 'nonsense' names and names derived from specific regions/languages/cultures, so I'm always curious about where names were derived from and how we're meant to pronounce them. I know one of the first (or THE first) people to ever really delve into language structure and create one for a story was Tolkien, which is really fascinating because what a difference it makes in making everything sound like it's got real meaning (because it does).

This post was edited by sorn at November 14, 2017 2:50 PM PST
    • 334 posts
    November 14, 2017 3:04 PM PST

Question:

sorn said:
    ...a pronunciation guide for everything! How do you say all these names? Is it Ar-kai or Artch-ai? Ni-ther or Nai-ther? Does the apostrophe in Baaka'rrn mean we have to do a click or is it just a glottal stop? What languages are all these phonemes coming from?
    Someone from VR needs to make a video guide for us. End the debate before it begins!

Answer:
    https://www.howtopronounce.com/sykian-rydan/