Forums » The Wizard

Lazy afk wizards made it hard for us to get groups.

• 73 posts
    November 12, 2017 11:25 AM PST
    I hope this won't be an issue in Pantheon. We all had them in groups, the wizards who would go stealth afk and basically get power leveled for free. I have kicked a few out of my groups and these guys ruined it for the rest of the wizards who want to contribute to groups. I spent more of my time in EQ soloing as waiting for groups during my limited play time is not my thing.
    With Pantheon being group based I sure hope the lazy afk wizard reputation doesn't persist.

Do you think wizards will be the least desirable group member next to necro in this MMO given how similar it is to EQ?
    • 5 posts
    November 12, 2017 12:07 PM PST

I personally never experienced this. I also don't think it's valid to say that this is the only reason people stopped wanting wizards in EQ. The high downtime for wizards is probably the main reason people stopped using them. The trade off for damage / downtime wasn't good enough to justify having one. 

Do I think this will carry over from EQ? I highly doubt it. There's nothing to base wizards being the same as EQ off of currently beyond a class being named wizard and casting spells. Wizards were fine in Vanguard and desirable. The same can be said for mages in WoW.

• 245 posts
    November 12, 2017 2:49 PM PST

In EQ I had my hands full being a good wizzy; contributing.
    Lazy afk wizzies are not good for production, lol
    I'd say don't worry, see the threads with community reputation and the other threads about play/cast/fight wiht regards to bashing and macro's

• 459 posts
    November 13, 2017 10:42 PM PST

Thats not my experience either. The downtime could be excessive if you started dps'ing too soon or dident med in the limited time between fights, assuming there was time to med. I never heard anything about stealth afk wizards.

• 2585 posts
    November 14, 2017 5:13 AM PST

I also did not know this was a thing. Idk what era of EQ you're referring to, but there were a lot of times when the Wizard was just plain broken and that's why they were not desired in groups. But this is a brand new game - a blank slate. Just because it is inspired by EQ doesn't mean little details like that will necessarily carry over.

When I demo'd the Wizard at TwitchCon, I felt very powerful. I was dealing a lot of damage, but also had some utility. High dps is important to pretty much any group, so I'd be surprised if Wizards had a hard time finding groups.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 14, 2017 5:15 AM PST
    • 73 posts
    November 14, 2017 9:28 PM PST
    I am probably going wizard in this game and hope the above is true. It was hard to get groups when I started in 2001. They loved you for raids but many of us soloed to level. I am very creative with making groups / duos so if the holy Trinity turns their back on the class I will gather the undesirables and we will make it work.
    • 73 posts
    November 14, 2017 9:31 PM PST
    I do think the mana Regen in original EQ was painfully slow and I believe a Dev, maybe even Brad, said that was a mistake looking back.
    • 22 posts
    November 15, 2017 9:25 AM PST

Never encountered the lazy AFK wizard. I played a wizard as my main for the vast majority of the MMORPGs that I have played. While I can be considered lazy on so many levels, I would not think that applied to my time spent in groups. Initially, in EQ Wizards were to be the final say in DPS rankings. Certainly over time this turned out not to be the case. I leveled slowly as by the time the game came to release I was working long hours and traveled quite a bit. That said I didn't have much issue finding groups assuming the zones were populated. I did however spend a lot of time soloing when quad-kiting was available.

• 73 posts
    November 18, 2017 1:38 PM PST
    For clarification, when I say lazy afk wizards, I am referring to those that would secretly go afk for 15 or more minutes, soaking up the experience while not doing anything to help. The group's I was in would boot them out but it was common enough on the Rathe server, to impact other wizards getting groups.
    • 73 posts
    November 18, 2017 1:40 PM PST
    They would pop back in talk a little bit then disappear once again.
    • 801 posts
    November 23, 2017 7:14 PM PST

I too played a wizard in EQ1 (quit her at lvl 75 w/ epic 2.0) was that compared to a similarly equipped rogue, the wizard fell behind in overall contribution to the class.  Wizard faced far more things which would negatively impact their damage output than melee, specifically any melee other than the main tank.

The ratio between the player level and the NPC level affected casters far more than melee as did the resists on the NPC when no debuffs were applied.  A red-con mob (which every raid mob was) could result in endless partial resists if not chains of full resists.  Melee, attacking from the rear, didn't give a crap about mob resists, only facing up against the mobs AC.  None of its defensive skills applied to attacks from the rear.

Even a wizard paying attention still looked like they were doing nothing because either they were casting something or they were just sitting there.  What could be done to alter that?  Give casters melee DPS?  Not a good idea.