Forums » Pantheon Races

Single, Dual, Tri, Multi Faction/Realm?

• 18 posts
    November 11, 2017 7:31 AM PST

Apologies if this isn't already obvious somewhere. 

I've seen a lot of talk about races, and factions, and it seems to me that the world will consist of these Races as listed, and they will all start sort of with their own set of 'base faction reputation'.

My question is will these Races be 'grouped' in a hard sense - like DAoC's three distinct Factions/Realms - each with their own zones/areas and some shared?  Or is it all shared and everyone is friendly.   Or will it be some other way?  

If you were to guess - which of these describes Pantheon the best:

A. Faction 1, Faction 2, Faction 3 exist - and they are separate and only come together to fight each other - can never be friendly.

B. Faction 1, Faction 2, Faction 3 exist - and they START separate and only come together through faction modifiers - IE doing tasks to become friendly with each other, eventually being able to group for common goals.  

C. Faction 1, Faction 2, Faction 3 exist - and they all start friendly and can never be hated by the other Factions - perhaps only not so friendly until reputation is improved - ie. they can all group together, but for instance Faction 1's main city won't offer services to Faction 2 until the character is considered friendly.

D. Three Factions, but you don't choose at the start - everyone is part of the 'neutral' faction (F2 in this example)   -  F1 and F2 are friendly with each other, F2 and F3 are friendly, but F1 HATES F3, so becoming too chummy with F1 will yield anger from F3, etc. I assume the majority would gravitate toward remaining friendly with F2 so that all areas are available - but me and my friends can choose to be F1 or F3 extremists if we want to (and slay snowflakes accordingly! ;-) ) 

Furthermore, if one of the above is the answer, which will be the case at the start:

1. Races are 'hard linked' to their starting faction

2. Races start leaning toward one faction, with that lean dictating reputation among the others (Start Friendly F1 - be neutral to F2, Hated by F3... Start Friendly F2 - be neutral to both F1 and F3, etc etc.. )

3. Everyone starts in good standing with everyone, and there is no depth of play in this sense.

Thanks for taking the time to read - If I missed this explained somewhere - apologies again..

Can't wait for this game!  No pressure on the Devs ;-)

• 2419 posts
    November 11, 2017 10:39 AM PST

I would expect us to see a very similar situation as to EQ1/EQ2/Vanguard in that some player races will start off KOS to another player race(s) and that, depending upon your actions, you could adversely affect your positive faction standings you have towards another race.  Taking an EQ1 example, Ogres and Dwarves were KOS to each other and there were little to no opportunities to adjust that.  By contrast, Elves and Dwarves started off friendly but Druids loved to snare kite the dwarve guards at the docks in ButcherBlock Mountains so many Elven Druids ended up KOS to Dwarves.

If you're looking at this more from a PVP setup, I think it was stated that Skar, Ogre and Dark Myr would be the 'evil' races while Human, Elves and Halfings would be the 'good' races which leaves Gnomes, Archai and Dwarves as the 'neutral' races.  On such a server I'm betting the faction system will not be adjusted and you could still affect your standings with the NPCs of another team.

• 2886 posts
    November 11, 2017 10:54 AM PST

From the FAQ:

4.6 Are races going to have specific factions at creation and will there be instances where an evil race character can’t run to a good city?

Yes. While there are some nuances to faction and alignment adjustment, evil races such as the Ogre, Skar, and Dark Myr will have a hard time getting close to good race cities. This is not set in stone, however, as you can adjust your faction and alignment through your actions in the game world.

• 248 posts
    November 11, 2017 2:49 PM PST

@Wall

I'm sorry my English fails me :(

Are you talking about faction between a Player character and a Non player character?
    Or between a Player character of one race and another Player character of a different race?
    If the latter, as Vandraad says about PvP, you will be able to join up with whoever is on "your side" according to the ruleset on that PvP server. On a standart PvE server you will be able to group up with all players, no matter your faction standing with whatever race they are playing.

-sorte.

• 2752 posts
    November 12, 2017 1:50 AM PST

Not like DAoC. 

All players can group with any other players, regardless of race. Race WILL however limit what NPCs/cities one can go to safely since some races don't like/trust other races and the NPCs will kill the player. The player CAN put in a lot of work toward raising their faction with one of those cities to eventually be looked upon kindly by the NPCs. 

• 334 posts
    November 12, 2017 2:45 PM PST

Anyways.. if faction is an obstacle for you, you could always make a new character to check stuff out, progenity or not

• 18 posts
    November 13, 2017 7:53 PM PST

OK - so there may be potential for PK raiders roaming in contested type areas.  Awesome!  

• 334 posts
    November 14, 2017 4:23 AM PST

Vandraad said:
    By contrast, Elves and Dwarves started off friendly but Druids loved to snare kite the dwarve guards at the docks in ButcherBlock Mountains so many Elven Druids ended up KOS to Dwarves.

That made me think.. what if so many druid elves did that?
    What then if Faction stacked? then the dwarves (NPC's) would become to dislike Elf Druids in general?
    Not to say that an unsuspecting Druid player would get jumped, but dwarf NPC's would send a party to kill some elf druid NPC's / messed up some elf land (for a reset - payback time)

• 2886 posts
    November 14, 2017 5:09 AM PST

Wall said:

OK - so there may be potential for PK raiders roaming in contested type areas.  Awesome!  

Maybe, but only on PvP-specific servers.

• 2419 posts
    November 23, 2017 10:21 AM PST

Rydan said:

Vandraad said:
    By contrast, Elves and Dwarves started off friendly but Druids loved to snare kite the dwarve guards at the docks in ButcherBlock Mountains so many Elven Druids ended up KOS to Dwarves.

That made me think.. what if so many druid elves did that?
    What then if Faction stacked? then the dwarves (NPC's) would become to dislike Elf Druids in general?
    Not to say that an unsuspecting Druid player would get jumped, but dwarf NPC's would send a party to kill some elf druid NPC's / messed up some elf land (for a reset - payback time)

If you mean that because a bunch of druid players went around killing dwarven guards, that eventually the NPC dwarven faction would change to be KOS to all druids, even one who never killed any dwarves ever?  I like it, but realize it could be horribly exploited.  The last thing any player really wants is the actions of someone else affecting how the game relates to them.  Those new players could be blocked from important quests or other necessary (or at least important) parts of the game.

No, players need to be only able to affect how the NPCs see them, not others....but still, it would result in one damn interesting special ruleset server.