Forums » The Archai

Are the Archai an "evil race"?

    • 79 posts
    November 9, 2017 1:52 PM PST

    After reading the racial biography, I am unable to tell if they are an evil race.  I read a lot about how they like to party and fight.  You could say the same thing about the Barbarians in EQ1 which were considered a "good" race.  What are your thoughts?  If there was a good versus evil PVP server, which side would the Archai be on and why?

    • 2356 posts
    November 9, 2017 6:03 PM PST

    Archai are a neutral race along with Gnome and I believe Halfling. 

    • 4246 posts
    November 9, 2017 6:41 PM PST

    It's to hard to label any race as good or evil. Racial factions are a complex web. But I don't think the Archai are really malicious at all. When they were created, they were even said to be "innocent." Then they were enslaved. Then they rose up against their captors, and now their lives are largely centered on celebrating their freedom. Nothing suggests to me that they have any dark intentions.

    • 10 posts
    March 29, 2018 9:40 PM PDT

    Im imagining that we might trigger an event encounter of "mind-warped" Archai waging war against humanity because of prior circumstances. As far as them being Evil, some might have turned and joined a band of bandits or a mercenary crusade squad...again that's just my imagination digging deeper.

    • 16 posts
    November 4, 2018 4:38 PM PST

    Good, Evil, Neutral... Really the only thing that matters is what that means in-game for KOS purposes. Can I trade/sell in this city, will the outlying guards in the surrounding zones/areas treat me as KOS? All the races will be playing together in the same group. We will have enchanters providing illusions, for a fee of course that should help in a limited capacity.

    • 10 posts
    May 7, 2019 7:22 PM PDT

    Part of the fun in other games (where it is allowed within the game) is overcoming faction issues. An Ogre selling to merchants in Kelethin, as an example.

    • 1407 posts
    May 9, 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    They could be evil in their bias considering their history. Very much xenophobes, perhaps, very reluctant to interact but having to trade begrudgingly on terminus for the sake of survival. Aloof disdain. No amount of empathy can get a stranger close. Fiercely loyal and fanatical self sacrificing, like suicide bomber self-sacrificing maybe in defence of their people or ideals. And underneath it all, a profound peace and depth of spirituality behind those glowing eyes built on long-suffering, patience, meekness and temperance.  

    • 137 posts
    May 28, 2019 9:13 AM PDT

    Manouk said:

    They could be evil in their bias considering their history. Very much xenophobes, perhaps, very reluctant to interact but having to trade begrudgingly on terminus for the sake of survival. Aloof disdain. No amount of empathy can get a stranger close. Fiercely loyal and fanatical self sacrificing, like suicide bomber self-sacrificing maybe in defence of their people or ideals. And underneath it all, a profound peace and depth of spirituality behind those glowing eyes built on long-suffering, patience, meekness and temperance.  

     

    A very interesting take on the Archai, well stated. From the lore, I can see some evidence which supports that perspective such as the self-sacrificing nature (Rel-Cirin‘s death outside the Frozen Sanctum). My take would be that they may have grown into an evil race through experience (if that is possible). The lore suggests they fought alongside the Dwarves in the Deicide War, have a rivalry with the Dark Myr, and are generally valorous. Perhaps their inherent nature as a “good” race, has been corrupted over time.

    • 467 posts
    May 29, 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    Interesting topic!  I feel they're neutral at worst and possibly quite good. Because, despite the past, they're described by terms that imply they are both graceful and enthusiastic. The terms graceful and enthusiastic don't make me think evil... however, if they are evil, they'll be more frightening than the Skar!

     

    On the spectrum of uniqueness, the Archai come second only to their neighbor Gnomes. But in a sharp contrast, the culture of Su'Roa is as VIBRANT and strong as the massive crystals and ores of its geology. Devout and SINCERE, Archai bodies manifest their environment, their ethereal energy bonding with natural elements at a very young age. This permits the Archai to grow a bit larger than a Human or Elf, but not suffer in agility quite like an Ogre. LOVING CELEBRATION and battle almost equally, the Archai are positioned well to ascend in the Frail Age, should they choose.

    Torn from the ancient crystalline planet of Roa, the Archai were originally created from another race of pure, magical energy called the Aoeyn. These innocent beings were tragically deconstructed and recomposed by the vile followers of Roa’s dark Celestial Lord and bred as a nation of slaves. Thus were born the Archai, a name bestowed by their similarly oppressed alchemic builders to honor the lost lineage of their ancestor Aoeyn.

    This desecration wrought the new race with unique abilities, however. Archai were able to graft in the elemental nature from the region of Roa where their life of slavery would begin. When water, fire, wind or any mineral is infused into the young Archai, their weaker arcane core “acclimates” according to those inherent properties. These manifest in magnificent, open striations, markings and textures, whether of flame, liquid, heavy vapors or even precious metals and minerals. This election takes place in the childhood of the Archai, in a devout ceremony called “True Birth”.

    Yet the Archai heritage is not one of enslavement, but VALOR, uprising and celebration. On Roa they waged a clandestine war of liberation, billowing into a nation of indomitable warriors and overthrowing their captors to utter defeat long ago. On Terminus, they are renowned for their culture of endurance, POISE and INTREPIDNESS, as well as a robust legacy of JUBILATION, SONG and display. They are said to entice danger like sport, while their people thrive on the wildly diverse island realm of Su’Roa, which means “little home”.




    This post was edited by Tigersin at May 29, 2019 12:15 PM PDT
    • 2356 posts
    May 30, 2019 10:21 AM PDT

    Definitely not evil nor xenophobes. 

    • 596 posts
    June 29, 2019 8:26 PM PDT

    I think the Archai are ficticious and in game will have the alignment of whoever is behind the keyboard wants their character to have - don't get mad at some Archai monk that is trying to train your party and start complaining how they can't do that because they're "not an evil race" "monks are supposed to be a good class!"  "You're being very evil right now!"  lol  ;P

    • 1228 posts
    June 30, 2019 3:10 PM PDT

    I'm surprised this is still being discussed.  It came out years ago that the alignment of races would be divided by continent (whether the location of the starting cities stays the same is irrelevant as far as the question is concerned.  We were also told we would get an updated atlas years ago...and forum...and faq etc etc hah).

    The Archai, gnomes, and dwarves were said to start on Whitethaw...which is the nuetral continent.

    Elves/humans/halflings on kingsreach...the good continent.

    Skar/Ogre/Myr on Reignfall...evil continent.

    Though I made a post in 2016 or 2017 about how I didn't expect to see whitethaw on release anymore even though that was planned originally but, again, the point of racial allignments remain the same.


    This post was edited by philo at June 30, 2019 3:14 PM PDT
    • 467 posts
    July 1, 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    I hear you, philo!  Things keep changing over the years though and ... really ... I think we're all just looking for things to talk about :)   

    • 1227 posts
    July 8, 2019 5:59 PM PDT

    Bazgrim said:

    It's to hard to label any race as good or evil. Racial factions are a complex web. But I don't think the Archai are really malicious at all. When they were created, they were even said to be "innocent." Then they were enslaved. Then they rose up against their captors, and now their lives are largely centered on celebrating their freedom. Nothing suggests to me that they have any dark intentions.

    So they are Iksar wanna be? Same exact backstory for the Iksar.


    This post was edited by Aich at July 8, 2019 6:00 PM PDT
    • 1561 posts
    July 9, 2019 2:55 AM PDT

    Aich said:

    Bazgrim said:

    It's to hard to label any race as good or evil. Racial factions are a complex web. But I don't think the Archai are really malicious at all. When they were created, they were even said to be "innocent." Then they were enslaved. Then they rose up against their captors, and now their lives are largely centered on celebrating their freedom. Nothing suggests to me that they have any dark intentions.

    So they are Iksar wanna be? Same exact backstory for the Iksar.

     

    I don't think the Archai had their god cover an entire continent under a green killer mist to free it's "chosen race". Backstory is one thing, culture is another.