Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Character Movement Question

• 4 posts
    November 4, 2017 7:58 PM PDT

I know the preferred way to move around is with the W, A, S, & D keys on the keyboard. PLEASE tell me there will be an option for character movement with the mouse.

Thanks!

• 194 posts
    November 4, 2017 8:02 PM PDT

I prefer to use the numpad for movement.  I'm sure controls will be completely customizable.

• 668 posts
    November 4, 2017 8:32 PM PDT

I always use the arrow keys next to the number pad on keyboard (gaming keyboard).  I am happy that they discussed having keybind options to custom your game play.

• 68 posts
    November 4, 2017 10:17 PM PDT

Being able to move forward by pressing L + R mousebutton, in addition to WASD is pretty standard in MMO's these days. I'm sure it'll be a feature here as well.

• 3852 posts
    November 5, 2017 6:11 AM PST

I never use WASD I find the number pad arrows far more to my taste.

• 334 posts
    November 5, 2017 6:30 AM PST

I used a joystick once due to older games and flightsim, but last did arrow keys with mouse combination, so I can use my left hand to press some buttons I need.
    Actually I lack a 3rd hand, lol. So I once considered a headset (which I can't seem to find.. thought it was a collaboration with ferrari, but well, that was many years ago).
    Or use your camera to track your head (youtube link) or build your own (or tape your smartphone on your head)!
    Though being able to play Pantheon with things like oculus would be cool too.
    Ofcourse there are the mind control gadgets, lol.. but they are not fine in control yet or need a lot of practice.
    Edit: typos

This post was edited by Rydan at November 5, 2017 6:32 AM PST
    • 98 posts
    November 5, 2017 9:58 AM PST

Rydan said:
    Ofcourse there are the mind control gadgets, lol.. but they are not fine in control yet or need a lot of practice.

I can see myself losing concentration and careening straight off a cliff with one of those. Not that I don't do that anyway...who has time to take a zigzag path when you can just jump down and walk away with a sprained ankle or something? :D

• 399 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:30 AM PST

Yes, holding the mousebutton will move you forward.  WASD doesn't work for me and that was actually the first question I asked at twitch con.  There will be key mapping at some point.  Hopefully during PA1, but I'm positive it'll be there.

• 57 posts
    November 5, 2017 11:28 AM PST

I've never used the WASD keys, but I've woken up a few times with QWERTY tatooed to my forehead. Honestly never have used any fancy joysticks or gaming mice and keyboards. Was a very anger youth and I would always break them when playing flight sims, so always bought the cheapest out there. So I have and still prefer to use my 4 arrow keys next to the numpad and my 2 button mouse. I'm a clicker true and true and will remain a clicker till I die.

• 1120 posts
    November 5, 2017 12:11 PM PST

Zohkar said:

I've never used the WASD keys, but I've woken up a few times with QWERTY tatooed to my forehead. Honestly never have used any fancy joysticks or gaming mice and keyboards. Was a very anger youth and I would always break them when playing flight sims, so always bought the cheapest out there. So I have and still prefer to use my 4 arrow keys next to the numpad and my 2 button mouse. I'm a clicker true and true and will remain a clicker till I die.

You should force yourself to break that habit.   Yo ull find your reaction times much better if you move your left hand over the keyboard where you can hot button several other skills.   It's a learning curve, but it is the simplest thing that will make you a substantially better player.

• 261 posts
    November 5, 2017 3:10 PM PST

I use both WASD and Number pad. Old EQ habbit. I alway make sure they are both mapped.

And remap auto attack or simular function.

• 2886 posts
    November 6, 2017 6:52 AM PST

Durp said:

Yes, holding the mousebutton will move you forward.  WASD doesn't work for me and that was actually the first question I asked at twitch con.  There will be key mapping at some point.  Hopefully during PA1, but I'm positive it'll be there.

Currently, the defaults are actually QWES. Of course that was also the first thing that I noticed. But even in the TwitchCon demo, you already have pretty much complete control over customizing your controls in the options menu. So there's really nothing to worry about. :) Brad has said when it comes to UI/controls, it's almost always best to give the player as many options as possible.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 6, 2017 6:57 AM PST
    • 3237 posts
    November 6, 2017 6:58 AM PST

When I first started playing on the PC, I used the arrow keys next to the number pad for movement.  It was so bad.  I remember having to use my left hand on the arrow keys while using my right hand for both the mouse and clicking on the keys for my abilities (having to cross my right hand over my left back and forth) ... it was really annoying and inefficient.  Acclimating with WASD was a huge improvement for efficiency and comfortability.

• 319 posts
    November 6, 2017 7:19 AM PST

oneADseven said:

When I first started playing on the PC, I used the arrow keys next to the number pad for movement.  It was so bad.  I remember having to use my left hand on the arrow keys while using my right hand for both the mouse and clicking on the keys for my abilities (having to cross my right hand over my left back and forth) ... it was really annoying and inefficient.  Acclimating with WASD was a huge improvement for efficiency and comfortability.

I agree with oneadseven.

Useing wasd was the only way I can be comfortable. this leaves my right hand free for mouse and keyboard use. My wife on the other hand loves the number pad option and cannot get used to wasd. although keyboard control was secondary to mouse clicks it was always available. I hope VR has options available to the ui that gives us a lot of customability.

• 334 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:19 AM PST

Actually, I combine;
    Holding an assigned mouse button will set the mouse into movement mode, making the mouse have you look up, down, left right while moving forward (or a variation). Leaving my left hand free.
    Then letting the button go for other\normal mouse interactions. For other situations I switch to arrow keys on right hand instead of mouse.
    Ofcourse you can always add a keyboard for your left hand, lol.

For long walks a switch to turn move on off would be handy as not to have to hold a button all the time.

• 151 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:39 AM PST

oneADseven said:

I did the exact same thing. Never used WASD until I played a game that wouldnt let you re-map keys and finally got used to it.

• 34 posts
    November 6, 2017 11:23 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Currently, the defaults are actually QWES. 

There will absolutely need to be a way to remap that. QWES is so (physically, literally) painful for many to play with for more than a short duration.

This post was edited by Khabarakh at November 6, 2017 11:28 AM PST
    • 35 posts
    November 6, 2017 12:55 PM PST
    I think QWES is superior when it comes to MMO games where you use the number keys a lot. This is particulary true if you need to strafe and use abilities at the same time.
    • 1281 posts
    November 6, 2017 1:10 PM PST

I like a combination of WASD and mouse.  For instance, facing the direction I want to go with the mouse and heding forward via W.

• 4 posts
    November 6, 2017 1:29 PM PST

I am delighted there will be the option for the mouse for character movement. My husband has always preferred the keyboard movement style (& he is faster that way), but I like the mouse above all and sometimes the arrow keys.

Thank you!!!

• 668 posts
    November 6, 2017 2:24 PM PST

Guess I am confused at those saying arrow keys next to keypad don't work well or are awkwar...  the keyboard gets positioned over to the left more so your left arm is straight out.  Arrows front and back are forward and backward, left and right are strafing, every key around the left hand, including the number pad, are all programmable keys.  You literally never have to look at a keyboard.  Most of the time my tab targeting is assigned to the delete key for fast reactions.  You can instantly find where the left hand needs to go by feel every time because of spacing.

Combine that with a 13 key mouse and you can do a LOT quickly...  Right mouse hold is usually turn character around, left hold is spin camera around.

I could not imagine gaming any other way now :) 

• 2886 posts
    November 7, 2017 6:08 AM PST

Khabarakh said:

Bazgrim said:

Currently, the defaults are actually QWES. 

There will absolutely need to be a way to remap that. QWES is so (physically, literally) painful for many to play with for more than a short duration.

As I said, there already is a way to remap it. I think I heard that this was the default in Vanguard, but I never played Vanguard, so I just remapped it and then I was good to go. No big deal.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 7, 2017 6:09 AM PST