Forums » The Shaman

Convince me or dissuade me...

• 825 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:31 PM PDT

Ok, I'm hoping this might be a fun thread.

I am ALMOST certain that I want to play a Shaman.  My reasons are simple... While I never leveled an alt in EQ, I did have access to a Shaman - and then - much much later, several years after I stopped playing the game, I bought one and played it a while.  Additionally, I played a Shaman in Vanguard.

I - LOVED - BOTH.

However.  My absolute, beyond a doubt, favorite activity in EQ was PULLING.  I was never happier than when I was in an outdoor zone and someone said "Ranger, go pull..."

SOOOO... YOUR JOB...

Convince me - why should I play a Shaman?  --- OR --- Dissuade me - why shouldn't I play a Shaman?

This post was edited by Wandidar at October 31, 2017 5:34 PM PDT
    • 214 posts
    October 31, 2017 7:18 PM PDT

Wandidar said:

Ok, I'm hoping this might be a fun thread.

Convince me - why should I play a Shaman? 

You will be the 1st one to Solo Severilous ?

• 148 posts
    October 31, 2017 9:29 PM PDT

Well I played a Shaman in EQ for ten years or so.  I thought it was the best class hands down even with the various travails the class went through.  With Weak DDs, some ok DOTS, the ability to s l o w, a pet that was unreliable, great heals, the ability to root mobs, cannibalize, I was always doing something.  With a good group, I always had a blast.  I made friends with a Necro and we made a great team.  If Pantheon has something like the EQ Shaman in mind, it’ll be a blast to play.

• 103 posts
    October 31, 2017 11:20 PM PDT

It's hard to convince you about something that we currently have limited information about, and barely currently exist in the first place, to be fair. Chances are that if you enjoyed the Shaman class in previous similar games you'll enjoy it in Pantheon as well. Even though it'll be its own seperate thing, its fair to assume (and based on the little information we already have), it'll share several similarities.

Fortunately you don't have to make up your mind now, and perhaps a good idea is to play-test both a Shaman and a pulling class during alpha/beta, assuming you have access to either. If you don't, rest assured community members will make all the information you need made available to the degree we're allowed to (NDA).

• 284 posts
    November 1, 2017 4:19 PM PDT

AWWW cant dissuade you as shamans look great , then again cant convince you as Druid and all that control of nature  looks great .. your at a crossroad :P

• 1128 posts
    November 1, 2017 5:19 PM PDT

Wandidar said:

Convince me - why should I play a Shaman?  --- OR --- Dissuade me - why shouldn't I play a Shaman?

While it is true we don't know much about the Pantheon Shaman, many of us, myself included, expect the Shaman be be very similar to the EQ1 Shaman.  Extensive buffs, debuffs, a lot of utility and healing.  We know that all 3 priest classes will have the same healing 'power', but how they get that will be drastically different.  The EQ1 Shaman required a lot of attention, needing the player to focus on current events and keeping an eye on the future.  You needed to keep track of so many timers. Timers for buffs, debuffs, HoTs, DoTs, utility spells all while spot healing any number of people AND balancing your HP/Mana through canni-dance.  Lazy people couldn't play a shaman well.  If you want player skill to shine through, play a class that requires you to pay attention at all times.  Anybody with a pulse could play a wizard or mage, even a druid very well.  It took a really skilled player to play a Shaman very well.

• 825 posts
    November 1, 2017 8:25 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Wandidar said:

While it is true we don't know much about the Pantheon Shaman, many of us, myself included, expect the Shaman be be very similar to the EQ1 Shaman.  Extensive buffs, debuffs, a lot of utility and healing.  We know that all 3 priest classes will have the same healing 'power', but how they get that will be drastically different.  The EQ1 Shaman required a lot of attention, needing the player to focus on current events and keeping an eye on the future.  You needed to keep track of so many timers. Timers for buffs, debuffs, HoTs, DoTs, utility spells all while spot healing any number of people AND balancing your HP/Mana through canni-dance.  Lazy people couldn't play a shaman well.  If you want player skill to shine through, play a class that requires you to pay attention at all times.  Anybody with a pulse could play a wizard or mage, even a druid very well.  It took a really skilled player to play a Shaman very well.

I'm hoping that they are very close to EQ1 Shaman...

• 3765 posts
    November 2, 2017 7:10 AM PDT

Wandidar said:

Vandraad said:

Wandidar said:

I'm hoping that they are very close to EQ1 Shaman...

I played the Shaman at TwitchCon and I can tell you that my first impressions were that it was similar to the EQ Shaman. I only played that class for about an hour or so, but I could already tell they had a lot of what Vandraad was talking about - heals, HoTs, buffs, debuffs, DoTs, nukes, roots, and cures. And also the wolf pet. All of which made for a very active playstyle. It felt like there was always something to do. I didn't see canni, but I just might not have seen it cause I didn't play the shaman for too terribly long. Either way, I can tell you the time I did play it was fun.

• 1128 posts
    November 2, 2017 6:10 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I played the Shaman at TwitchCon and I can tell you that my first impressions were that it was similar to the EQ Shaman. I only played that class for about an hour or so, but I could already tell they had a lot of what Vandraad was talking about - heals, HoTs, buffs, debuffs, DoTs, nukes, roots, and cures. And also the wolf pet. All of which made for a very active playstyle. It felt like there was always something to do. I didn't see canni, but I just might not have seen it cause I didn't play the shaman for too terribly long. Either way, I can tell you the time I did play it was fun.

This makes me very happy.

• 825 posts
    November 3, 2017 12:33 PM PDT

Hmm... almost makes me want to fire up an EQ Shaman :) 

• 122 posts
    November 8, 2017 1:34 PM PST

Menubrea said:

It's hard to convince you about something that we currently have limited information about, and barely currently exist in the first place, to be fair. Chances are that if you enjoyed the Shaman class in previous similar games you'll enjoy it in Pantheon as well. Even though it'll be its own seperate thing, its fair to assume (and based on the little information we already have), it'll share several similarities.

Fortunately you don't have to make up your mind now, and perhaps a good idea is to play-test both a Shaman and a pulling class during alpha/beta, assuming you have access to either. If you don't, rest assured community members will make all the information you need made available to the degree we're allowed to (NDA).

Hahah as Menub so quaintly worded, albeit we have very limited info on the Shaman, odds are the class will be quite similar in Pantheon since they're pulling a majority of their class templates from EQ/VG ; )

Assuming the aforementioned; I would try to convince almost everyone (whom wants to play a healer class of some sort) to go shammy. They've historically been the #1 healing class sought after for 6 man groups (they allow groups to clear much faster while providing other useful versatility) and are similarly indispensable in raids for buffs and spot healing. I'd also argue they're by far the most fun pure healing class to play. If you want to powergame it, definitely roll a shammy. If you want to have the most fun as a healer, roll shammy. All I can say in defense of clerics is they're the undisputed single-target raid healing class (if that's your cup of tea). All subject to change of course.

Side note: I think we're going to see a lot more shammys in Pantheon, especially if they leave cleric races the same on release.

This post was edited by Zuljan at November 8, 2017 1:40 PM PST
    • 1056 posts
    November 8, 2017 4:46 PM PST

I can't get past the part where it says "I bought one"...

• 473 posts
    December 6, 2017 3:02 PM PST

Canni better be in there, or I might decide to make my main something else. That was a class defining ability. As far as convincing you to play one or not...do you like to be busy as hell during almost any encounter? Do you like being able to buff friends/debuff foes? Do you like to have a pet that never listens to you? Oh, wait...scratch that last part. Seriously, if the shaman is anything like the EQ1 shaman of old, you will have a blast playing one.

• 58 posts
    January 28, 2018 4:45 PM PST

Just play one.

There were a ton of negative comments about being a pet class back in the day that made me feel like I shouldn't play one. I actually suffered with unpopular classes in many games until I played an Elementalist in Guild Wars 2, which reminded me how I felt about Wizard and Magician during the early EQ days (AoE damage is my forte).

I played a lot of alts at that time and have come to the conclusion that its an emtional issue. It doesn't matter how great the abilities of a class are or the many lists people make...if you can play a class and stay playing it even in the most boring of situations, KEEP PLAYING IT. Someone who likes stealth will not feel compelled to play cleric, but not everyone who likes direct damage likes wizard (maybe they prefer being a berserker). My brother was a Necromancer by default in every game we played (even Magic: The Gathering). I was always a pyromancer that liked to use super offensive creatures...no one told me to like that, and that's a good thing.

Have no special reason for being a Shaman other than for being a Shaman? Be a Shaman!

I've never played a Necromancer. Can someone succeed in convincing me to try one? I still won't play one...I don't care about death or dead bodies, but destruction interests me. Hopefully you'll never do what I did and start playing a million alts...just to go back to square one with no character to continue playing. It's easy to convince yourself that a class you've never played was the best class ever, but excitement is a lot like sugar...there comes a point when the excitement about doing something new leads back to what you have always been comfortable doing. This happened to me when I played EQ2's Coercer...

Yeah, I don't feel the same as before. Coercer and Illusionist were offensive classes and nothing like EQ1's Enchanter, which was like heresy to me.

This post was edited by Radeon at January 28, 2018 4:48 PM PST
    • 288 posts
    February 1, 2018 12:14 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

Canni better be in there, or I might decide to make my main something else. That was a class defining ability. As far as convincing you to play one or not...do you like to be busy as hell during almost any encounter? Do you like being able to buff friends/debuff foes? Do you like to have a pet that never listens to you? Oh, wait...scratch that last part. Seriously, if the shaman is anything like the EQ1 shaman of old, you will have a blast playing one.

Someone mentioned that Shamans may have a Breeze-like spell. I would much prefer something like that over canni.

• 473 posts
    February 2, 2018 2:16 PM PST

Kaen said:

Anistosoles said:

Someone mentioned that Shamans may have a Breeze-like spell. I would much prefer something like that over canni.

I hope it is a form of cannibalize that acts more like a DOT, taking some health over time and replenishing mana over time. Not sure I'd like the breeze type spell where no health sacrafice is involved. Guess I'll know soon enough. :P

• 288 posts
    February 2, 2018 3:06 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

Kaen said:

Anistosoles said:

I hope it is a form of cannibalize that acts more like a DOT, taking some health over time and replenishing mana over time. Not sure I'd like the breeze type spell where no health sacrafice is involved. Guess I'll know soon enough. :P

Honestly, I'd prefer that, too. I don't mind exchanging health at all. So maybe a lich form of some sort would be great. Cast it once, turn it off when you want to. Or make Canni more potent so that you can do what you want with just a couple casts instead of 20. That way there's no canni-dancing forever.

• 168 posts
    May 23, 2018 5:40 PM PDT

Shamans are awesome and don't run into each other at the soul binder. Nuff said.