Forums » The Rogue

Question Related to Rogue Skills

• 32 posts
    October 30, 2017 5:27 PM PDT

During the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - CohhCarnage plays the Rogue in Dec 2016 Stream video at 1:55:08 (Timestamp saved in the link) the Rogue weapon skills are shown to be:

1. Crossbow
    2. One Handed Axe
    3. One Handed Blunt
    4. One Handed Edged
    5. One Handed Piercing
    6. One Handed Sword

Is it safe to assume that the One Handed Axe and One Handed Sword skills are just weapon types that have been added to the incorrect table (or document collection?), or will those skills exist? 

It seems like some swords would be piercing and some edged weapons, but I'm not certain and thought I'd ask just in case someone here knows. I assume this is a data entry mistake that will be corrected (or has been corrected already).

Thanks!

(edit: formatting)

This post was edited by kristov at October 30, 2017 5:32 PM PDT
    • 1635 posts
    October 30, 2017 6:10 PM PDT

If I remember correctly, in Vanguard, there were skills for specific weapon types and skills for weapon categories.  I'm not sure if they're doing the same here.  But your skill in both the weapon type and the weapon category determined how good you were during combat.

Then again, it could just be someone putting data in to test with as well.  I wouldn't put too much stock into what you see in the streams, since anything is subject to change by the time the game comes out, and they have stated multiple times that they put things in just to test them out to see how they play (for example, giving clarity to shamans).

• 103 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:50 PM PDT

Hard to really assume anything at this stage. Rogues of the past have been able to wield a multitude of weaponry in games, so it could possibly be intended. For instance, your playstyle and abilities you "equip" depend largely of your weapons.  For instance, someone duel wielding Maces/Axes would probably a have a more savage combat style - think something like a Bandit. While a Rogue wearing daggers would have more abilities typically associated with an Assassin.

It could also just simply be placeholder since at this stage of development its not really a big focus at this stage of development.

• 32 posts
    October 31, 2017 4:11 AM PDT

Hmm, the Vanguard theory is pretty good Kelenin. I think you're right, but it's been so long I don't remember.

I don't think that's what's going on here though (at least not yet) because I'm pretty sure Cohh was wielding daggers in that video and I don't see a dagger skill in the list.

I just thought if an insider saw this and had permission to fill us in then it would be nice to know whether it's intended at this point or if it was a bug.

Thanks!

This post was edited by kristov at October 31, 2017 4:15 AM PDT
    • 2074 posts
    October 31, 2017 9:19 AM PDT

Rogues in both EQ and Vanguard were required to have a piercing weapon/dagger equipped in their primary slot in order for some class skills to function. I have a feeling that trend will probably continue in Pantheon.

This post was edited by Liav at November 1, 2017 1:35 PM PDT
    • 32 posts
    October 31, 2017 3:18 PM PDT

I couldn't imagine Rogue's not using daggers in any fantasy setting.

I was just making the point that because I can't imagine them not using daggers (as well as having seen Cohh wielding daggers in the video) that a dagger skill not being present in the skill list seems to me to point to the dagger skill falling under One Handed Piercing weapons. I don't feel that the One Handed Sword and One Handed Axe skills are actually skills, they are included in the skill list but I think that's a bug.

• 2074 posts
    November 1, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

It is unlikely that there will be a distinction between "edge" and "piercing" swords. It is a safe assumption that daggers fall under the "one handed piercing" skill, and that this skill is the only relevant thing. I imagine you'll be able to backstab with a spear in your mainhand is well.

One Handed Sword and One Handed Axe are most likely valid skills too. I think you're taking things too literally.

• 1122 posts
    November 12, 2017 8:36 AM PST

Liav said:

It is unlikely that there will be a distinction between "edge" and "piercing" swords. It is a safe assumption that daggers fall under the "one handed piercing" skill, and that this skill is the only relevant thing. I imagine you'll be able to backstab with a spear in your mainhand is well.

One Handed Sword and One Handed Axe are most likely valid skills too. I think you're taking things too literally.

If I recall, there was a one-hand piercing and a one-hand slashing skill in the old EQ.  I suspect that's as close as we will get to differentiating "weapon types" in Pantheon.  I, myself, was always a dual-wielder.  I wasn't a fan of carrying a shield or whatever in the off-hand unless we needeed torches for something, which wasn't that often.

One thing that I am really looking forward to is "situational weapons".  I always thought it was "silly" in EQ that I could do as much damage (and sometimes more) to a skeleton with a rapier or dagger as I could with a club.