Forums » Pantheon Lore

Could Skar Classes be Gender Based?

• 147 posts
    October 30, 2017 5:59 AM PDT

I originally posted this on the Skar Forum. But dont get much traffic down there so thought I'd move it up here.

Before the Skar became Skar, they were called the Aza'gn. They were a nomadic mercenary people that, overtime, became more slave than paid mercenary. And eventually the Fs'sok completly enslaved them.

I contend, during this period of slavery, the Fs'ok bred the Aza'gn to be stronger, bigger, more aggressive, and more violent. And due to the physical difference of the genders, the male Aza'gn became the more desired of the warriors. And they became even bigger and stronger, more aggressive and violent than thier female counterparts. Until finally the Fs'ok bred males for the sole purpose of war. And the females became an afterthought to the Fs'ok, used mainly for breeding.

During this time, the males became fierce and dedicated fighters. At the same time, the females, relicated to breeding and otherwise ignored by the Fs'ok, secretly turned inward, learning the ways of dark magic and healing.

After centuries of selective breeding, the male/female Aza'gn became as different mentally as they did physically.

At this time a Priestess of the Nine God (name unknown. motive unknown), frees the Aza'gn from slavery. She does this by obliterating the Fs'ok. Once the Aza'gn overlords were destroyed, the Aza'gn started wreaking havoc upon their world. Destroying everything in their sight. Razing cities and slaughtering entire nations. The Aza'gn, whom were already the most feared/aggressive warriors on D'shoth,  became an unstoppable force when their female counterparts joined the battle with their secretly learned knowledge of the dark magics and healing.

To prevent the complete destruction of D'shoth, the Nine God intervened. By punishment, the Nine God imprisoned the Priestess, shackling her for 1200 years. At the same time Nine God removed the ability of reproduction from the Aza'gn, and cursed them with the outward growth of bones and spikes. From henceforth the Aza'gn are known as the Skar. And to punish the priestess even more, Nine God made her the only means of reproduction for the Skar. She became the Queen/Mother, spending her 1200 years of imprisonment as a baby factory.

During this period of 1200 years, the Skar became evolutionarily static. No swapping of genetic material since the Queen/Mother produced all. So the males remained larger and more aggressive, and the females remained smaller and more intellectual. Though there was some transfer of knowledge, the overall traits of the genders remained isolated from each other.

And so for 1200 years the Skar became refined and defined in the roles they were to play in there society.  Males would become the most vicious of fighters, by weapon and hand alike. And some male Skar would be taught the dark magic to be used hand in hand with there fighting abilities.  All the while the females were learning more and more of the dark magic, as well as refinining there healing skills used so often to mend there wounded male counterparts. But still, other females took to the blade. Using their smaller stature to its advantage, they became skilled in lurking in the shadows and striking at an unsuspecting enemy when its attention was focused on the savage male skar.

And so, Skar Classes, based on gender.

Male= Warrior, Monk, Direlord

Female= Shaman, Necromancer, Rogue.

Could, as I contend, Skar classes be gender based?

Ancient Astronaut theorists say yes!

• 464 posts
    October 30, 2017 7:50 AM PDT

Why?

With the class / race combos already restricted enough, why introduce this into the mix, and keep it for a single race?

This seems like a completely needless further restriction on class/race combos. 

• 326 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:48 AM PDT

I think Homercles has a Lore point. In fact Females and Males could have more physical difference then any other race. Even today biologist mistake 2 animals for being seperate species where they are not.
    Presenting them like some sort of bee\ant hive style would make for a novelty. If such doesn't work out, then VR could always change it. Like that a male could learn to sneak as good as a female.
    This could also be reflected in choice options at character creation (would they all look the same?), where starting stats are limited between ranges for male\female.
    Then maybe those 1200 years are over? Then what?

• 147 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:36 AM PDT

Rydan said:

I think Homercles has a Lore point. In fact Females and Males could have more physical difference then any other race. Even today biologist mistake 2 animals for being seperate species where they are not.
    Presenting them like some sort of bee\ant hive style would make for a novelty. If such doesn't work out, then VR could always change it. Like that a male could learn to sneak as good as a female.
    This could also be reflected in choice options at character creation (would they all look the same?), where starting stats are limited between ranges for male\female.
    Then maybe those 1200 years are over? Then what?

In fact, the 1200 years are over.

When the Skar were translocated to Terminus, the Queen/Mother died, and the curse of sterility was removed from the Skar. So, since reaching terminus, the Skar have been breeding again. But, their time on Terminus has been so short, that the genders could still hold to noticable differences. Physically and mentally.

• 326 posts
    October 31, 2017 2:42 PM PDT

bleh.. overlooked. I'm still reading forum stuff... by the time I'm done, the game is shelved

• 315 posts
    October 31, 2017 11:18 PM PDT

I think that'd be a cool point of difference for the Skar. Je l'aime...

• 191 posts
    November 3, 2017 6:01 AM PDT

I don't know. I think, aside from lore reasons, that most games allow any gender to be whatever class they want (within their race) solely because people may not want to play a gender in a game that is different than their own. Yes some males play females in a game to RP or throw other players off. Some don't care. 

• 262 posts
    November 25, 2017 10:23 AM PST
    Not in this age of political correctness. You'd be "oppressing" players by making them choose
    • 33 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:39 PM PST

Could They? Yes

Should They? No

This would create more problems then it's worth. It's even listed in the FAQ's.

With that being said, nothing is stopping the roleplaying community from acting like they are.

• 1060 posts
    January 3, 2018 7:40 AM PST

Rarity and locks are two different things. While the males will be more inclined to be fighters, nothing is set is stone and as every character is a different story, each of them is free to overcome natural predisposition or cultural influence.

• 3070 posts
    January 7, 2018 8:21 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Rarity and locks are two different things. While the males will be more inclined to be fighters, nothing is set is stone and as every character is a different story, each of them is free to overcome natural predisposition or cultural influence.

Keep in mind there are non-conformists amongst us...rebels you might say.  So we'll see what happens. :P

Cana

• 501 posts
    January 19, 2018 10:46 AM PST

Arguably, they could completely remove the M/F selector from character screens and just use sliders to build out the body type.  Why does gender have to factor in?  

From a character design and race/class perspective, it really doesn't matter.   On the other hand, we run into pronoun issues in the parser.  What do you substitute for %S  (he/she/it) ?

I have enough trouble trying to figure that out IRL.  What do you refer to people as who are transitioning?    Even government forms are struggling.   If you look to the programming world, even UNICODE has a confusing number of gender symbols.

So trying to be politically correct in a modern high fantasy MMORPG probably just leads you into more hot water than you solve.

• 67 posts
    February 8, 2018 11:17 AM PST

Celandor said:Arguably, they could completely remove the M/F selector from character screens and just use sliders to build out the body type.  Why does gender have to factor in?  

From a character design and race/class perspective, it really doesn't matter.   On the other hand, we run into pronoun issues in the parser.  What do you substitute for %S  (he/she/it) ?

While it would be interesting to have such a system, the character creater would have to be incredibly robust to allow natural female body types and natural male body types, particularly the idealized ones that gamers are used to seeing. While there's a very good argument about making a statement on representation, from a technical standpoint it would be difficult and expensive to have such a character creator. It's vastly simpler, from a tech standpoint, to have separate character models for the two genders, and this simplifies how complicated the character creator has to be by an order of magnitude. Instead of one, hugely complex creator, they just make two similar, but different creators based on that gender tickbox.

VR doesn't, apparently, have any plans to make such a statement. While it would be great for a big budget, triple-A title to make a character creator that removes the gender button like above, I think there's just not room in the budget for such a concern in Pantheon. They also mention this in their FAQ:

4.4 Will the female character models be as attractive as depicted in the races section?

We sure hope so. The female playable characters in Pantheon brings up an important point: they will be very attractive, heroic in appearance, a persona anyone could look up to; but they will not be overly sexualized. We want all players to be proud of their character and their appearance.

The pronoun issue is also difficult for dialogue purposes. They could go for using generic pronouns everywhere, but most people don't do that normally, even if that's the ideal. A wide range of NPC personalities mean that some of them will be despicable beings who are sexist, racist, etc. and they certainly will be using the pronouns they want to. Some people will be fairly nice, but have old-fashioned ideas or even, like the Skar, have a vast cultural divide between their two genders and be unwelcoming to any attempt to homogenize them, even linguistically. One decent idea would be a character-select option to select which character model you would like to use and which pronouns you would like to be addressed by.

It's difficult to advocate for both efficient use of development resources and also advocate for underrepresented demographics like the LGBT community, so I hope I don't sound too indecisive. My suggestion to have a different selector button for character model gender and for the pronoun the character is addressed with (even including the gender neutral they) is the closest compromise I could think of. You can even have some NPCs address a player based on their physical appearance instead of their chosen pronoun if you want to make sure that the character is supposed to be seen as bigoted, though that can conflict with gameplay by encouraging people to identify personality traits of (possibly prominent) NPCs using the pronoun button instead of more subtle means.

This post was edited by Darchias at February 8, 2018 11:21 AM PST