Forums » The Rogue

Rogue utility

• 4 posts
    November 10, 2018 4:58 PM PST

I love back stab and high amounts of DPS, but,  I've always thought it would be fun to steal stuff off bad ass npc mobs.    Imagine you are in a group and are face to face with a nasty powerful caster and the caster is tossing out lots of insane spells at your allies!  But wait!  The sneaky  stealthy rogue gets behind the evil caster while the group has his attention! The group is like... wtf is that crazy rogue doing?  Then, the rogue steals the caster's component pouch and the caster's choice of spells becomes greatly limited or is nullified because he no longer has any spell components!  Maybe the wizard in your group instantly becomes your best friend because of the exotic rares you have just 'acquired!'   In computer games I do love to deal out sick damage, but, I do wish there was a way to get creative with the criminal element of the rogue class.

• 204 posts
    November 13, 2018 3:42 AM PST

Ariocc said:

I love back stab and high amounts of DPS, but,  I've always thought it would be fun to steal stuff off bad ass npc mobs.    Imagine you are in a group and are face to face with a nasty powerful caster and the caster is tossing out lots of insane spells at your allies!  But wait!  The sneaky  stealthy rogue gets behind the evil caster while the group has his attention! The group is like... wtf is that crazy rogue doing?  Then, the rogue steals the caster's component pouch and the caster's choice of spells becomes greatly limited or is nullified because he no longer has any spell components!  Maybe the wizard in your group instantly becomes your best friend because of the exotic rares you have just 'acquired!'   In computer games I do love to deal out sick damage, but, I do wish there was a way to get creative with the criminal element of the rogue class.

One of the aspects of GW2 that I like, is the abilitiy of their rogue class to steal items from mobs. While these are generally for immediate use in combat, it would be a great twist for Pantheon to add such stolen items in the Rogues alchemical abilities in some way. Material components for more powerful bombs/mixtures etc - maybe even a necessity for the unstable mixture ability?

Whilst I do like your idea, Ariocc, I think it might be a little too powerful and needs to be tempered somewhat. 

• 1104 posts
    November 13, 2018 5:23 AM PST

Umbra said:

Ariocc said:

One of the aspects of GW2 that I like, is the abilitiy of their rogue class to steal items from mobs. While these are generally for immediate use in combat, it would be a great twist for Pantheon to add such stolen items in the Rogues alchemical abilities in some way. Material components for more powerful bombs/mixtures etc - maybe even a necessity for the unstable mixture ability?

Whilst I do like your idea, Ariocc, I think it might be a little too powerful and needs to be tempered somewhat. 

You could pickpocket a large percentage of the MOBs in EQ.

• 204 posts
    November 14, 2018 5:02 AM PST

Kalok said:

You could pickpocket a large percentage of the MOBs in EQ.

Yep, but just loot in general. I'm suggesting that something special could be pilfered to help with the Rogue alchemical abilities somehow. Maybe make it a small part of the loot table when pickpocketing so that it was extremely rare?

• 8 posts
    November 24, 2018 10:49 PM PST

How about a hamstring/snare? Similar to BS--can only be performed from behind, perhaps only on certain mobs (spiders do not have hamstring muscles/tendons for example). Not that I have seen any mobs running away in any of the videos of PA episodes so far, but would be another helpful utility going with the lore of a rogue (if your initial BS did not take them out....you can still make sure they do not get away before being finished off by the group).

• 21 posts
    December 12, 2018 2:29 AM PST

Personally, I'd love to see poisons utilised more in relation to your weapons. Being able to ‘choose’, and physically apply DoTs and debuffs to your weapons in the form of poison makes so much sense to the class, and it adds an element of preparation depending on the mobs you’re fighting. Rogue-only debuffs would also be a great way of making the class feel unique and more desirable in a group. Something like a debuff that makes a mob more susceptible to mez (yes, I know that sounds odd) would make them an Enchanter's best friend.

DoTs with varied damage types would also be great to allow you to match your damage output to weaknesses of a mob, for example, a cold based DoT applied to your blades when fighting fire elementals. It would make playing the class feel more interactive, and having to choose your poisons and manually apply them adds an element of responsibility to ensuring you are utilising your character to its full potential also.

Having said all of the above, you don’t want to be re-applying every fight, so making poisons last something like an hour would be good. Maybe the weapon icon in UI is tinted a specific colour when poison is applied, then slowly drains / fades as the poison is coming to the end of it’s effectiveness. This would be good as a visual indicator to show when your blades need poison re-applying.

Lastly, don't make reagents for poisons a grind to obtain. I played a Mage in EQ1, and I didn't mind the reagent requirements for some spells, but I would have hated to have to farm for those kind of things.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, the class needs to be seen as more than just a dps machine and corpse recovery droid.

This post was edited by Shadowbound at December 12, 2018 2:33 AM PST
    • 32 posts
    March 3, 2019 11:46 AM PST

Rogue CC as it stands is already the second best in the game, best for non- cc class... but what I'd really like to see is Rogues as a master debuffer.

Lowering enemy resistances is already part of our class page... I just hope we're the BEST at it.

• 235 posts
    March 15, 2019 1:09 PM PDT

Who's side are you on?! - You attack your target from the direction of its nearest ally. Your target briefly turns its attention to that ally, attacking it instead of you or your party. Only useable when more than one enemy is present.

Fairy Dust - You throw an alchemical mixture in the air, briefly distorting your target's vision and reducing its hit chance by X% for Y seconds.

Bell Ringer - You quickly slap the ears of your target, dazing them for X seconds. Useable only from behind on humanoids.

Chink in the Armor (modified by perception?) - You spot a weakness in your targets defenses, lowering by X% for Y seconds.

Kneel! - You pierce the backs of your targets knees, forcing them to the ground for X seconds. Requires a dagger and must be behind your target.

Catch your breath - You pierce your targets lung, slowing them for X seconds.

I love the idea of traps, secret doors (all secrets, really), disarming, scouting, pickpocketting. Rogues, imo, should be so much more than just dps. I agree that groups shouldn't have to have a rogue, but I do think it should make some things easier. As far as traps go, having a rogue to disarm them would save you time by not having them go off, forcing you to stop, heal, med, risk wandering mobs, etc. I'm recalling a spell that EQ mages had, Call of the Hero. It made things to much easier as far as getting people to a specific location, but it wasn't required. It was just much more convenient. I'd like to see a lot of that for Pantheon's rogue. Sure, I think there are some things that would be rogue best or rogue only, but not to the point where you couldn't do this dungeon or that spawn without one.