Forums » Pantheon Classes

Hybrid Fighter/Magic User

    • 5 posts
    October 25, 2017 4:21 PM PDT

    Hi all. Looks like the game has a hybrid fighter/cleric (Paladin), fighter/necro (Dire Lord) and figher/druid (Ranger). Anyone think we might eventually get a hybrid fighter/wizard? (like a D&D Eldritch Knight) Since Elves can't be Paladins due to the lore, this would make for a heavy hybrid tank for the Elven race. Thoughts?

    • 1206 posts
    October 25, 2017 5:00 PM PDT

    I don't think it tends to pan out very well, especially balance wise. The other hybrids tend to work a lot better because they mostly adopt utility from the caster portion to supplement the fighter portion, but wizard doesn't really tend to have much utility to begin with as they heavily lean toward raw damage. Hard to balance so you tend to get a watered down wizard with plate or a weak fighter with average spells.

    • 854 posts
    October 25, 2017 5:23 PM PDT

    The existing hybrids make sense because their parent classes share similar qualities.  Both the warrior and cleric can wear plate, can wield hammers, etc.  So a hybrid of both isn't requiring breaking any rules of the parent classes.  A hybrid fighter/wizard would require either the fighter to only wear silk robes to allow the casting of spells or you must break the rules of the wizard class if you want the hybrid to wear plate.  Basically you would need far too many exceptions to the parent class rules to allow such a combination and it would be terrible at both, like most hybrids end up being: less than the sum of their parts.

    • 1206 posts
    October 25, 2017 6:16 PM PDT

    Vandraad said:

    The existing hybrids make sense because their parent classes share similar qualities.  Both the warrior and cleric can wear plate, can wield hammers, etc.  So a hybrid of both isn't requiring breaking any rules of the parent classes.  A hybrid fighter/wizard would require either the fighter to only wear silk robes to allow the casting of spells or you must break the rules of the wizard class if you want the hybrid to wear plate.  Basically you would need far too many exceptions to the parent class rules to allow such a combination and it would be terrible at both, like most hybrids end up being: less than the sum of their parts.

     

    Eh, but that falls apart anyway. Necromancer only wear robes and druids wear leather yet Dire Lord is a plate wearer and ranger is likely a mail wearer. 

    • 1999 posts
    October 25, 2017 6:48 PM PDT

    Well FFXIs Red Mage was a fun class that worked well. Not gonna lie though it was pretty OP.

     

    Also I dont think the idea of hybrid classes should be limited to mixing 2 or 3 classes together. I also like the idea of a completely new class that simply are hybrid in the sense that they use both melee and magic but whose mechanics, animations, spells, and abilities are unique. Not just borrowed from a couple of classes.

    • 5 posts
    October 25, 2017 8:13 PM PDT

    Iksar said:

    I don't think it tends to pan out very well, especially balance wise. The other hybrids tend to work a lot better because they mostly adopt utility from the caster portion to supplement the fighter portion, but wizard doesn't really tend to have much utility to begin with as they heavily lean toward raw damage. Hard to balance so you tend to get a watered down wizard with plate or a weak fighter with average spells.

    In the end you might be right. However, without knowing the full list of Wizard spells (unless you do)  this presumption might be a bit premature. I understand that a MMORPG has different balancing requirements than a pen and paper RPG, BUT, I do believe it could be done and done well. At the very least, I know it is a class I would be very interested in. 


    This post was edited by mournblade at October 25, 2017 8:14 PM PDT
    • 419 posts
    October 26, 2017 5:52 AM PDT

    Hybrid fighter/enchanter makes more sense to me.

    Spell Sword

    DPS class

    Uses enchantments to augment their weapons and their physical abilities.

    Might have some mild CC abilities like a stun line and a mez line.

    • 5 posts
    October 26, 2017 8:37 AM PDT

    kellindil said:

    Hybrid fighter/enchanter makes more sense to me.

    Spell Sword

    DPS class

    Uses enchantments to augment their weapons and their physical abilities.

    Might have some mild CC abilities like a stun line and a mez line.

     

    I can see this. Would be nice to have a trinity of plate wearing hybrids holy, unholy, magical.

    • 487 posts
    October 26, 2017 12:59 PM PDT

    You are basically describing Aradunes class...Warwizard.  They have stated that is Brad's special class and it won't make it into game.

    • 854 posts
    October 26, 2017 7:01 PM PDT

    People have been asking for this class combination and that class combination from day one.  Where do you draw the line though?  How many different combinations could there by? And if you add one, why not all?  What happens if the particular combination is terrible? You'll just end up with a bunch of people whining about how their class is garbage. 

    Yes, we are dealing with historical classes that come from the foundations of the high fantasy, that of Dungeons and Dragons.  What is nice about Pantheon is the limiting of classes so that they really can significantly different from each other.

    • 11 posts
    November 7, 2017 2:33 PM PST

    I always wanted to play a Warrior/Enchanter hybrid. The idea of a tank that can also CC seems like the most interesting class ever.

    • 19 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:49 AM PST

    Would a Thane from Dark Age of Camelot Qualify as a Fighter/Wizard hybrid?

     

    They appear to be 'OP' on Uthgard 1.65 version of the game!   I am not the most knowledgable on it, however.

     


    This post was edited by Wall at November 16, 2017 11:50 AM PST
    • 419 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:59 AM PST

    Wall said:

    Would a Thane from Dark Age of Camelot Qualify as a Fighter/Wizard hybrid?

     

    The Thane IMO would most closely fall near what a Shaman could do in EQ. The Thane was a melee class with atk speed debuffs, snares, and light DD/DoTs.

    The Wizard, typically, deals in almost pure raw arcane destruction, usually of the elemental variety. We don't know much about the Wizard class yet, but from the streams I think Pantheon's Wizard would be that or very close.

    • 311 posts
    November 17, 2017 3:35 PM PST
    A warrior enchanter combo sounds cool, but I think it would be a balancing nightmare, especially for raid situations.
    • 4 posts
    November 23, 2017 5:12 PM PST

    Bring on the fighter/summoner!  Focus on Magical weapons/damage types as needed, short term single target minions, out of combat quality of life items, and maybe gear to combat environmental effects. 

    Imagine you summoning different weapons for different roles as often as different mobs within the same pull. Things like a big 2h weapon if you fight a lightly armored target or fast weapons with procs to combat a heavily armored foe.  Need to tank a stray?  Then summon up a shield and sword!  Need to pull or finish a runner?  How about a single shot hard hitting Xbow or a throwing spear?  Bear traps, spike traps, or a swinging log trap?  No problem.  

    Could be the option to take if you want a Melee based pet class, that wasn’t crazy strong like the beastlord, as well.


    This post was edited by Gwhorg at November 23, 2017 5:14 PM PST
    • 178 posts
    November 24, 2017 12:53 AM PST
    Great ideas, Gwhorg!
    • 247 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:07 AM PST

    Age of Conan - herald of xotli 

    fire based, two-hander melee dps, cloth only, with good CC

    was a PVP monster and DPS machine

    I enjoyed it but no it could not tank at all. 

    • 45 posts
    December 6, 2017 4:43 PM PST

    Iksar said:

    I don't think it tends to pan out very well, especially balance wise. The other hybrids tend to work a lot better because they mostly adopt utility from the caster portion to supplement the fighter portion, but wizard doesn't really tend to have much utility to begin with as they heavily lean toward raw damage. Hard to balance so you tend to get a watered down wizard with plate or a weak fighter with average spells.

     


    This excuse strikes me as a limit of imagination.


    Wizards can bring plenty of utility, depending on the game.

     

    I imagine a hybrid wizard/warrior type being a fighter that possesses a blink/flash style ability, some damage enchantments (like enhance shaman), maybe a time rewind/heal ability similar to Ekko/Tracer, extra interrupts (a fighter style bash/kick, and a caster style counterspell). Perhaps group evac spells. In addition to more basic utility like Invisibility, damage shield, long rang pulling DD's, root, snare, etc.

     

    As a matter of fact, Ekko from League strikes me as the perfect example of this archetype:

     

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtEpp9lkfxA


    This post was edited by Dulu at December 6, 2017 4:44 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    December 6, 2017 6:21 PM PST

    This brings back memories of playing a battle mage in UO.  If I recall it was a combination of wrestling/inscription/magic that made a special combo that worked so well.  I would love to see something like this again!  Purple Lamas FTW!!!

    • 244 posts
    December 6, 2017 11:25 PM PST

    kellindil said:

    Hybrid fighter/enchanter makes more sense to me.



    One of my first posts on this forum was suggesting exactly this. I introduced a unique way for this theoretical class to sustain aggro - intentionally breaking your own mezzes. Oh the memories. :D


    This post was edited by Syntro at December 6, 2017 11:26 PM PST
    • 244 posts
    December 7, 2017 12:00 AM PST

    Vandraad said:

    How many different combinations could there by?



    First of all, I agree with your sentiment (as usual) Vandraad. For fun I'm going to list the possibilities and come up with names:

    Let the two groups that can hybridize be separated as "casters" and "fighters".
    Casters - Necromancer, Wizard, Druid, Shaman, Enchanter, Summoner, Cleric.
    Fighters - Warrior, Rogue, Monk.

    That leads to the following 21 combinations.

    Warrior Wizard - Warwizard
    Warrior Druid - Ranger
    Warrior Shaman - 
    Warrior Enchanter - Scintillating Knight
    Warrior Summoner - Blade Melder
    Warrior Cleric - Paladin
    Warrior Necromancer - Dire Lord

    Rogue Wizard - Shadowmancer
    Rogue Druid - Crypsicist
    Rogue Shaman - Poltergeist
    Rogue Enchanter - Bard
    Rogue Summoner - 
    Rogue Cleric - Shadow Priest
    Rogue Necromancer - Shadowmancer

    Monk Wizard - 
    Monk Druid - Beastlord
    Monk Shaman - 
    Monk Enchanter - 
    Monk Summoner - 
    Monk Cleric - 
    Monk Necromancer - 

    I got tired... I'll edit in some more names later. :D

    • 21 posts
    December 7, 2017 1:58 PM PST

    Gwhorg said:

    Bring on the fighter/summoner!  Focus on Magical weapons/damage types as needed, short term single target minions, out of combat quality of life items, and maybe gear to combat environmental effects. 

    Imagine you summoning different weapons for different roles as often as different mobs within the same pull. Things like a big 2h weapon if you fight a lightly armored target or fast weapons with procs to combat a heavily armored foe.  Need to tank a stray?  Then summon up a shield and sword!  Need to pull or finish a runner?  How about a single shot hard hitting Xbow or a throwing spear?  Bear traps, spike traps, or a swinging log trap?  No problem.  

    Could be the option to take if you want a Melee based pet class, that wasn’t crazy strong like the beastlord, as well.

    I like the idea of a wizard class that focuses arcane abilities on magical armor and weapons... I imagine this how how the Gnomes of Terminus would do it

    they currently do not have, as a race, a front-line fighting/tanking class available, so if they have to go to war they would have to rely on summoned minions and CC, as their rogues alone really wouldn't be able to manage that kind of brute force

    While that kind of battle might be interesting, Gnomes wouldn't have any necessarily better Summoners. Necromancers or Enchanters than whomever was attacking them, so I think they'd be at a disadvantage

    Now a sizeable unit of Gnomes that could buff up with magical strength and protection spells, summoning powerful arcane weapons as they charge in to battle... that sounds pretty feasible

    They would still gear up like magic users, and maybe their INT would increase the STR of their attacks where their WIS would provide their AC and DEF

    A little Gnome encased in an ethereal or smoky golem-like arcane construct with with some big ol' magical weapons would be pretty cool, honestly

    Not a true Summoner in breadth of abilities, instead focused on buff/debuff with powerful offensive and defensive capabilities on par with a warrior/ranger