Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Nvidia Volta?

• 176 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:39 AM PDT

So I am currently still running the 980 and I was planning on getting the 1080 for pre alpha testing. The question is, at this point should I hold out a few more months for the Volta? I have not found a release date but from what I have read it will be pretty bad ass. I think I read they are running this in commercial applications now.

Another option I have is to get the 1080 for my son ans run 2 of the 980's in SLI until the volta relases hopefully Q1 2018.

I don't know but what is everyone else running or planning on running?

• 159 posts
    October 24, 2017 9:14 AM PDT

I have a 980TI and don't plan on upgrading any time soon. My screen resolution is 1080p, which helps, so I might change my mind if and when my TV gives up the ghost and I get a 4K screen.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade just for pre-alpha/alpha. The longer you wait, the better/cheaper the hardware you'll get. And I don't suspect Pantheon will be particularly taxing on the GPU since it has to cater to the highest possible number of configurations, from high-end discrete cards to integrated graphics.

As for the Volta, I think nVidia has been releasing its next-gen cards in Q2 each year, but I may be wrong. In any case, I doubt that Pantheon will require one of those unless you're going for 4K resolutions and 60fps+. Even then, the 1080TI might be enough. It's usually the single-player games that have the over-the-top eye candy that bring graphics cards to their knees, not so much MMOs.

• 68 posts
    October 24, 2017 9:46 AM PDT

It would be a staggeringly bad choice for VR to make a game that requires a 980 or better GC to play this game, I can't believe VR would be so stupid.

IMO a 980 is certainly going to be powerful enough to run this game with no problems, I would wait until the end of beta to decide if you even need to upgrade.  Hell even the ancient 690 I have on my machine is going to be able to cope with this game.  Perhaps not 60+ FPS at max everything but definatly well enough to play the game without problems.

I recommend you wait, your cards are certainly good enough to not need upgrading for alpha or beta.

• 2752 posts
    October 24, 2017 10:32 AM PDT

If you can, I'd just hold out with your current card as long as you can. The 980 is better than the 1060 at least, so you shouldn't have much issue gaming for now. My 390x is still powering along just fine with high settings in games. 

DuxDux said:

It would be a staggeringly bad choice for VR to make a game that requires a 980 or better GC to play this game, I can't believe VR would be so stupid.

IMO a 980 is certainly going to be powerful enough to run this game with no problems, I would wait until the end of beta to decide if you even need to upgrade.  Hell even the ancient 690 I have on my machine is going to be able to cope with this game.  Perhaps not 60+ FPS at max everything but definatly well enough to play the game without problems.

I recommend you wait, your cards are certainly good enough to not need upgrading for alpha or beta.

I imagine a 980 will be able to handle the game on mid settings. To be honest though, when the game is likely released (2019) the 980 is going to be 5 years old.

• 2886 posts
    October 24, 2017 10:47 AM PDT

daemonios said:

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade just for pre-alpha/alpha. The longer you wait, the better/cheaper the hardware you'll get. And I don't suspect Pantheon will be particularly taxing on the GPU since it has to cater to the highest possible number of configurations, from high-end discrete cards to integrated graphics.

This. If everyone upgrades right before testing, then their samples will be kind of skewed. Pre-Alpha is exciting, but it's still just testing. You'll never need to have the best of the best, but if that's what you want, you'll get the most out of it post-launch.

• 1281 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:44 PM PDT

I won't be a good testbed for performance.  I built a machine back in Feb specifically for the game that's running a fairly top-end configuration, and will probably upgrade again before going live.  Mostly because I didn't already have a desktop, and so I was building one anyhow, so why not get stupid with it?  heheheeh