Forums » The Ranger

VG SOH Ranger

• 2 posts
    October 17, 2017 11:26 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I am an old EQ fan who followed the team in EQ2 and Vanguard saga of heroes and now in Pantheon!

Each game was better than the other and I always played a Ranger.

By far the best Ranger I ever played was the Vanguard Ranger and I played almost every big title out there.

I was part of Xanadu one of the best guilds in VG (hope they will come back in Pantheon !)

Just to remind the people reading this of what was the basic design of the class and a big hope that they will design Pantheon's Ranger in a very similar manner.

The class could dual wield for massive dps near the target (one of the highest if not the highest dps classes in the game in both  single and AOE targets when near those targets) and an average but decent dps when using bow from safety.

The Ranger could charm various animals in the world and use their unique abilities  (what an amazing idea and how much better it would have been if those abilities could actualy bring some benefit by using them in raids)

There was a multitude of abilities both melee and ranged  and weapon switches you needed to use during the raids in order to achieve the highest possible dps.

In order to find the right abilities and gear combination you had to spend a long time optimising your rotation by examining the dps parcers.

A multitude of clickies and buffs (hiden items you could discover in the world) that could be used to further increase your damage output.

The Ranger by levitating (as if I remember well was moving faster to any direction while levitating) was able to kite huge groups of enemies.

Also the levitation skill was allowing less skilled players to click their abilities while backpedaling (my wife was a clicker and she was enjoying playing it !)

The class was designed extrememly well with a multitude of abilities for different situations and all kind of survival skills both class specific and racial.

Those were the main aspects of the Ranger and sorry if I forgot something important (and for my bad English :) ) but it will be a real disapointment if the Ranger class ends up a sort of hybrid class

and doesn't have the damage output potential of sorcerers or rogues if played properly and inside the danger zone in raids or in any encounter pve or pvp in general.

• 474 posts
    October 17, 2017 11:47 AM PDT

Hyena said:

Hi guys,

I am an old EQ fan who followed the team in EQ2 and Vanguard saga of heroes and now in Pantheon!

By far the best Ranger I ever played was the Vanguard Ranger and I played almost every big title out there.

I was part of Xanadu one of the best guilds in VG (hope they will come back in Pantheon !)

Just to remind the people reading this of what was the basic design of the class and a big hope that they will design Pantheon's Ranger in a very similar manner.

The class could dual wield for massive dps near the target (one of the highest if not the highest dps classes in the game in both  single and AOE targets when near those targets) and an average but decent dps when using bow from safety.

Please no. I do not want to be forced into melee. I want to be a bow ranger. They need to be equal.

The Ranger could charm various animals in the world and use their unique abilities  (what an amazing idea and how much better it would have been if those abilities could actualy bring some benefit by using them in raids)

I'd rather not be a pet class, but I could get over that.

There was a multitude of abilities both melee and ranged  and weapon switches you needed to use during the raids in order to achieve the highest possible dps.

In order to find the right abilities and gear combination you had to spend a long time optimising your rotation by examining the dps parcers.

**** This. I don't need another job. It's a game. Please do not turn Pantheon into a damn exercise in math / Ms excel skills

A multitude of clickies and buffs (hiden items you could discover in the world) that could be used to further increase your damage output.

The Ranger by levitating (as if I remember well was moving faster to any direction while levitating) was able to kite huge groups of enemies.

No one should be able to do this. I really hope this type of gameplay isn't possible

Also the levitation skill was allowing less skilled players to click their abilities while backpedaling (my wife was a clicker and she was enjoying playing it !)

The class was designed extrememly well with a multitude of abilities for different situations and all kind of survival skills both class specific and racial.

Those were the main aspects of the Ranger and sorry if I forgot something important (and for my bad English :) ) but it will be a real disapointment if the Ranger class ends up a sort of hybrid class

and doesn't have the damage output potential of sorcerers or rogues if played properly and inside the danger zone in raids or in any encounter pve or pvp in general.

I hope the Ranger is for sure a hybrid class like it was in EQ. Warrior / Druid as a DPS / Support role with options for bow or melee....

I really hope this Ranger leans towards the EQ side of the spectrum.

• 511 posts
    October 17, 2017 1:02 PM PDT

Hyena said:

The Ranger ... was able to kite huge groups of enemies.

I know I"m going to get aggro from all the bards and perhaps the rangers out there, but...

I really hope that swarm kiting (bards, rangers, whoever) stays in the past.  I don't care how many mobs you can slay, but it's pretty disruptive to a region to have one person monopolizing every live mob.  This is especially true given swarming tends to be a fairly slow kill process... and the zone waits for you to eventually leave so the rest of the population can quest, etc...  It also tends to be a gateway to PLing which seems to be contra to the design and spirit of Pantheon.

So thumbs up on the spirit of the ranger as an awesome melee and ranged class.

I've often thought that the ranger in some games was disappointing in that their ties with nature seemed to be more in the lore than in practice.  Rangers should have animal friends/familiars and not a charmed pet like the druid pets of EQ.  Not to make them so much a pet class, but use them as part of the perception system maybe.  If a ranger has a falcon pet, it should be easier to scout and gather intel.  Perhaps a skunk pet could wander in and distract guards...   There are lots of options beyond just "charm a bear, send the bear to attack an orc, root the orc, re-charm the bear...kill the bear for exp after the fight."

This post was edited by Celandor at October 17, 2017 1:06 PM PDT
    • 1634 posts
    October 17, 2017 2:12 PM PDT

Welcome  :)

I played ranger for about 2 years in Vanguard, and found it to be almost as good range as it was in combat against a single target.  The only thing that made their melee damage better was their melee AoE attack, which if that wasn't an option due to agro management, which was already a big enough problem for rangers, then ranged attacks were easily as good as melee attacks.  I loved the ranger, was one of the funnest classes I've played in any game (EQ necromancer being the only one I liked better, although VG Blood Mage was about as fun as Ranger).

Compared to the EQ ranger, the VG ranger was definitely more of a ranged or melee option person.  I found in EQ that rangers generally had to choose one or the other based on what the current expansion was, of course I didn't play much after Dragons of Norath so things may have changed after that.

I too, hope, that Rangers will be able to have both melee and ranged attacks as good options in Pantheon.

• 69 posts
    October 17, 2017 11:32 PM PDT

swarm kiting, aoe farming, was amazing.. if the world is big enough there should be plenty of places for both play styles. 

• 8 posts
    October 18, 2017 6:12 AM PDT

i also played a ranger in VG and I loved it. the kiting, the situational skills. The one thing I would do different, would be to balance ranged and melee dps, keeping in mind the gear setup and stance for each situation.

I played rangers in other games too, but they all sucked. Especially when rangesr where forced to be a pet class - I hate that...

If I want to play a pet class, I would roll a necro or an elementalist...

• 15 posts
    October 18, 2017 4:46 PM PDT

Hyena said:

Hi guys,

I played in everquest and had a ranger as main, sadly I missed out on vanguard but this sounds like my type of ranger! I would like for top level dps yo be similar but I'm use to melee having the edge with duel wield. I'm always up to swarm kite as well it can be annoying but there should be many zones you can chose to level in just like we. It's not that easy and if you can actually pull enough mobs to disrupt a whole zone props to you and I'll go find my own place

Edit. Charmed pets in eq were really cool it gave you the advantage of having help but you have to constantly maintain tactics in case it breaks so I would not call it a click and sit let option which is what I would like to see.

This post was edited by bhusbandjr at October 18, 2017 4:48 PM PDT