Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Future for pantheon AFTER release from a technical side

• 84 posts
    October 20, 2017 7:38 AM PDT
    Hardware and graphics advances are not moving at the same pace they were 18 years ago. My 5 year old desktop can play new games without much of an issue, just not at the highest settings. The pantheon graphics coming out today, combined with the flexibility of unity, will allow this game to be viable for years and years to come (from a graphics perspective).

I am much more concerned with people that have an uproar when an older zone is updated and the devs caving to that. That annoyed me to no end in EQ. The game world, all of it, should be ever changing.

I am much more concerned with content being added at a steady clip and gameplay.
    • 98 posts
    October 20, 2017 7:48 AM PDT

Nydan said: Hardware and graphics advances are not moving at the same pace they were 18 years ago. My 5 year old desktop can play new games without much of an issue, just not at the highest settings. The pantheon graphics coming out today, combined with the flexibility of unity, will allow this game to be viable for years and years to come (from a graphics perspective). I am much more concerned with people that have an uproar when an older zone is updated and the devs caving to that. That annoyed me to no end in EQ. The game world, all of it, should be ever changing. I am much more concerned with content being added at a steady clip and gameplay.

Well said, Nydan.

I am more concerned at the ever increasing expectation for this game, which I am guilty of too.

Naively I just want the good times back and a non-toxic community.

• 557 posts
    October 20, 2017 8:56 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

I remember in about 92' or so  a roommate of mine bought a 350mb (megabyte) hard drive. The 2nd roommate and I gave the 1st roommate endless greif about what an idiot he was. I mean, he spent like $500 bucks for that drive, and who in their right mind could possibly imagine ever using that much drive space? Ridiculous!

I bought a Seagate ST225 around the same era.  It was $200, held 20MB and it felt like I had infinite storage.

I also remember calling Seagate for tech support.   "If you have an ST110, press 2.  If you have an ST135, press 3... If your drive is not listed, press 9 for more options.  If you have an ST200, Press 1.  If you..."   Took 20 minutes of voicemail menus to get to the right drive.

But I'd love to be able to go back and recapture the thrill of some of those early computer games.  We're so spoiled now.  I would spend hours playing text adventures like Zork.  Are new games more fun?  Not really.   They just keep adjusting our expectations.  All the new technology gets negated shortly after you start playing.  The first few minutes, you are amazed at the graphics, sound, etc... then before you know it, you've forgotten about the tech and you're absorbed in the game.  Of course, if the game is terrible, no matter how great the tech, you'll quit playing.

So whether you're jacked in, connected via telepathy or just reading an unfolding story that's all text, it's more about the gameplay and the quality of the content than how it's presented to you.

• 1303 posts
    October 20, 2017 9:04 AM PDT

Celandor said:

Feyshtey said:

I remember in about 92' or so  a roommate of mine bought a 350mb (megabyte) hard drive. The 2nd roommate and I gave the 1st roommate endless greif about what an idiot he was. I mean, he spent like $500 bucks for that drive, and who in their right mind could possibly imagine ever using that much drive space? Ridiculous!

But I'd love to be able to go back and recapture the thrill of some of those early computer games.  We're so spoiled now.  I would spend hours playing text adventures like Zork.  Are new games more fun?  Not really.   They just keep adjusting our expectations.  All the new technology gets negated shortly after you start playing.  The first few minutes, you are amazed at the graphics, sound, etc... then before you know it, you've forgotten about the tech and you're absorbed in the game.  Of course, if the game is terrible, no matter how great the tech, you'll quit playing.

Right there with you. I still go on weeks long binges of Masters of Orion and other old titles which will literally run on my phone. I'm almost universally disappointed with new versions of old titles that complicate things rather than improve them.

• 151 posts
    October 20, 2017 9:53 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

Right there with you. I still go on weeks long binges of Masters of Orion and other old titles which will literally run on my phone. I'm almost universally disappointed with new versions of old titles that complicate things rather than improve them.

The original Sid Meyer Colonization was my game. I played it for hours and hours and hours. The remake using the Civ engine did not do the original justice.

• 1281 posts
    October 20, 2017 2:03 PM PDT

Some stuff to remember guys....

Aside from what one person already said about alot of stuff being procedurally driven, and thus easier to "update" en-mass, VR talked about having TWO teams of developers.  One for existing content, which I can only assume would be break/fix, cleanup, updates, etc; and one team for new content/expansions.  Which would mean that updating the graphics in the existing content wouldn't necessarily take away from the creation of new content.

• 3016 posts
    October 21, 2017 11:11 AM PDT

Kalok said:

Some stuff to remember guys....

Aside from what one person already said about alot of stuff being procedurally driven, and thus easier to "update" en-mass, VR talked about having TWO teams of developers.  One for existing content, which I can only assume would be break/fix, cleanup, updates, etc; and one team for new content/expansions.  Which would mean that updating the graphics in the existing content wouldn't necessarily take away from the creation of new content.

Yes I remember that being said,  which means each team will focus on their particular job,  more bug fixes etc..and the other more new content,  which makes me positive that this is going to be a great game. :)