Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How do you pronounce...

• 1404 posts
    October 13, 2017 11:01 PM PDT

Ok before I go 15 years pronouncing Kwey-nos wrong again, how do you all suppose these names from the newsletter are pronounced? I put my guesses, and I'm terrable at this, so help me out here.

S'iolaen - see-o-lay-n

Su' Roa - Sue-row-ah

Atahaen - At-ah-hay-n

Esqaps - ass-kaps

Nothi - No-th- eye

Maidyn - Mayden 

Sorhiryth - Sor-here-ith

Kiri - Kee-ree

Molsth - Mol-sith

Lyone - Lee-on

As "supporters" we should be keepers of the pronouncation when they release. 

• 1120 posts
    October 14, 2017 5:07 AM PDT

I think one of the best things about mmos is hearing how different people pronounce cities,  races,  etc.

I think your pronunciation are all pretty basic "this is how it should sound".  Maybe go back and find a couple ways to pronounce then differently and see which one you like more! 

For example instead of "see o lay n" .... it could be "show lane".

Or something like that. 

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    October 14, 2017 5:20 AM PDT

Great work, Zorkon! I'll add my two cents on the matter -

S'iolaen - see-o-lay-n (Correct, less syllables, See-o-lane. Also have a note below on this)

Su' Roa - Sue-row-ah (Sue-row-uh)

Atahaen - At-ah-hay-n (AH-ta-hayn)

Esqaps - ass-kaps (Es-caps)

Nothi - No-th- eye (Noth-ee)

Maidyn - Mayden (May-den)

Sorhiryth - Sor-here-ith (Pretty much, Soar-here-ith)

Kiri - Kee-ree (Kear-ee)

Molsth - Mol-sith (Mole-sith)

Lyone - Lee-on (Lay-own OR Lee-own)

When you're speaking some of these names they're of course more tight phonetically than we've broken them out here. For instance with Kiri, you'd say it pretty quickly and not belabor either syllable. Similarly with S'iolaen, it sounds more like "Syo-lane" because of how quickly you'd say it. 

While this is fun and informative, I hope no one feels constrained by pronounciation guides or gets too hung up on getting them "right". Our real world has lots of pronunciation variances. I mispronounce names all the time, even in our world and with names I've created. I anxiously await the day someone corrects me in front of an audience of people. 

Thanks for caring and sharing!

This post was edited by Istuulamae at October 14, 2017 5:22 AM PDT
    • 557 posts
    October 14, 2017 9:16 AM PDT

I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce Istuulamae. 

I-stool-a-may

istoo-lamay

hey-u

• 200 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:10 AM PDT
    its-a-baby-hada-boy....hangs up on the collect call after they decline the call.
    • 513 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:12 AM PDT

Kilsin - pronounced Guy-who-desperately-wants-to-bury-his-dagger-in-Aradune's-back-during-a-livestream

and

Aradune - pronounced Guy-who-is-wearing-a-plus5-magical-curass-of-divine-and-magical-retribution

• 399 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:59 AM PDT

Thanks Istuulamae!  Love to see this! 

As a matter of fact, I watched a youtube of (ex) eq devs pronouncing names and there were so many that I thought ..."Wow.. I wouldn't have come up with that"  (I think the video was more tongue-in-cheek though...they pronounce Guk as Gootch.. sooo....)

Would be nice to hear a spoken glossary of all the names in the lore at some point in the game.  While I think that perhaps Porygon has a good point that it's part of the good of an MMO, people pronouncing the names differently, personally, I would like to know how to say it properly.

Being a 4nr, until recently, (till the shaman reveal stream actually) for 20 years, I've been calling a shaman a "Shay-muhn"

This post was edited by Durp at October 14, 2017 11:00 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    October 14, 2017 2:03 PM PDT

Porygon said:

I think one of the best things about mmos is hearing how different people pronounce cities,  races,  etc.

I think your pronunciation are all pretty basic "this is how it should sound".  Maybe go back and find a couple ways to pronounce then differently and see which one you like more! 

I agree, and I will forever pronouce Qeynos as "Kay-no-s." 

I remember how disappointed I was when the first voiced Final Fantasy came out and I found the official way to pronounce Chocobo was "Cho-ko-bo" when growing up I had always pronounced it "Koh-koh-bo." 

• 9115 posts
    October 14, 2017 4:51 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

Kilsin - pronounced Guy-who-desperately-wants-to-bury-his-dagger-in-Aradune's-back-during-a-livestream

and

Aradune - pronounced Guy-who-is-wearing-a-plus5-magical-curass-of-divine-and-magical-retribution

Hahaha! ;)

• 1120 posts
    October 14, 2017 5:22 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Porygon said:

I agree, and I will forever pronouce Qeynos as "Kay-no-s." 

I remember how disappointed I was when the first voiced Final Fantasy came out and I found the official way to pronounce Chocobo was "Cho-ko-bo" when growing up I had always pronounced it "Koh-koh-bo." 

You just ruined my life.  I refuse to believe its not Cocoa-bow...

• 1404 posts
    October 15, 2017 11:09 AM PDT

Istuulamae said:

Great work, Zorkon! I'll add my two cents on the matter -

S'iolaen - see-o-lay-n (Correct, less syllables, See-o-lane. Also have a note below on this)

Su' Roa - Sue-row-ah (Sue-row-uh)

Atahaen - At-ah-hay-n (AH-ta-hayn)

Esqaps - ass-kaps (Es-caps)

Nothi - No-th- eye (Noth-ee)

Maidyn - Mayden (May-den)

Sorhiryth - Sor-here-ith (Pretty much, Soar-here-ith)

Kiri - Kee-ree (Kear-ee)

Molsth - Mol-sith (Mole-sith)

Lyone - Lee-on (Lay-own OR Lee-own)

When you're speaking some of these names they're of course more tight phonetically than we've broken them out here. For instance with Kiri, you'd say it pretty quickly and not belabor either syllable. Similarly with S'iolaen, it sounds more like "Syo-lane" because of how quickly you'd say it. 

While this is fun and informative, I hope no one feels constrained by pronounciation guides or gets too hung up on getting them "right". Our real world has lots of pronunciation variances. I mispronounce names all the time, even in our world and with names I've created. I anxiously await the day someone corrects me in front of an audience of people. 

Thanks for caring and sharing!

Thanks for the reply Istuulamae. I'm pretty sure your 2 cents just devalued mine by no less than 50%. And that's just what I was hoping for. 

For those that commented they enjoyed people's varied pronunciations of the names in previous games. I'm sure there won't be any shortage of that... we're just a small sampling of players that will be playing Pantheon. 

• 3237 posts
    October 15, 2017 11:38 AM PDT
    I thought it was Kway-no-s and choo-kuh-boo
    • 844 posts
    October 15, 2017 2:05 PM PDT

This has always been an interesting topic for me. How certain names are pronounced. I think it started back in EQ1 where no one could not agree on how to pronounce QEYNOS.

I even heard a couple guys discussing how "giblets" is pronounced the other day. With a hard G (golf), or a soft G (giraffe).

I assumed the game makers would handle defining the pronounciation. But having worked with and met a number of the original people involved with EQ1, I found out they also did not agree on what the "correct" pronounciation of QEYNOS is.

So unless Pantheon includes a dictionary of names and their pronounciation, anything goes i guess.

• 624 posts
    October 15, 2017 10:17 PM PDT

Thanks Istuulamae - in my head I had the last syllable in Ly-one sounding as two like An-ti-go-ne. Should have known those wild halflings wouldn't be stuffy formal like the ancient Greeks. Let's chalk this one up to Thalia, a bard can't always be inspired by Euterpe or Terpsichore.

• 1584 posts
    October 16, 2017 6:13 AM PDT

S'iolaen - see-o-lay-n (See-ol-een)

Su' Roa - Sue-row-ah (Sue-Row)

Atahaen - At-ah-hay-n (At-an-heen)

Esqaps - ass-kaps (Es-Kaps)

Nothi - No-th- eye (Not-thee)

Maidyn - Mayden (Mayden)

Sorhiryth - Sor-here-ith (Sor-rye-ith)

Kiri - Kee-ree (Key-Re)

Molsth - Mol-sith (Moles-th)

Lyone - Lee-on "Lee-on-nee)

And yes it fun listening to other people pronouce everything like with Velious i either hear (Vel-lee-us) or (Veel- lus), or with Luclin it was (Luck-lin) or (Luke-lin) lol but yes it awesome hearing people saying it in their own way, becuase the greatest thing about it really is that there isn't a right answer becuase its your own world that you share with everyone else.

This post was edited by Cealtric at October 16, 2017 6:15 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    October 16, 2017 9:24 AM PDT

Qeynos is Kway-nos, but unoffensively corrected to Kay-nos. Kee-nos? wash your tongue.

Chocobo.... Choco Puffs! Chocolate- Cho-ko-bo 

Luclin - Loose-lin .... yes it does.   Lucklin is Ducklin.

Turkey giblets  like girrafe gibblets. but a Gif is a Gif like gregory because only choosy mothers choose Jif peanut butter (plus Graphic Image File has the G a "Guh") Intuitively known by the good (ha ha) without going to the dictionary- that phonetically spells it with a J,  and upside down e  jiblets.

Turkey gobble giblets doesn't sound right to my inner ear or intuition from which I base judgment from wisdom upon- probably because I haven't heard it any other way.

Wisdom allows me to "get it" without being told hence the association with Intuition. It is not a gut feeling, which can and is often wrong (not a jut feeling)

• 2752 posts
    October 16, 2017 10:48 AM PDT

Manouk said:

Qeynos is Kway-nos, but unoffensively corrected to Kay-nos. Kee-nos? wash your tongue.

Chocobo.... Choco Puffs! Chocolate- Cho-ko-bo 

Luclin - Loose-lin .... yes it does.   Lucklin is Ducklin.

Turkey giblets  like girrafe gibblets. but a Gif is a Gif like gregory because only choosy mothers choose Jif peanut butter (plus Graphic Image File has the G a "Guh") Intuitively known by the good (ha ha) without going to the dictionary- that phonetically spells it with a J,  and upside down e  jiblets.

Turkey gobble giblets doesn't sound right to my inner ear or intuition from which I base judgment from wisdom upon- probably because I haven't heard it any other way.

Wisdom allows me to "get it" without being told hence the association with Intuition. It is not a gut feeling, which can and is often wrong (not a jut feeling)

According to Brad it's pronounced "Key-no-s." So I think it's one of those things that goes to show it doesn't really matter how it ends up pronounced, let anyone pick their own flavor. 

• 3016 posts
    October 16, 2017 2:09 PM PDT

It's "key nos"  backwards for Sony EQ.   Qeynos  ...no u in there to pronounce it as Qwey.  :)  example: quack.

• 2752 posts
    October 16, 2017 3:46 PM PDT

But "ey" can be pronounced "ay" often enough so I'd think that "kay nos" wouldn't be a wrong pronunciation. 

• 399 posts
    October 16, 2017 6:29 PM PDT

and guk is gootch. Like hootch. 

Najena  NA-juh-na.. Some say na-jee-nah

i liked hearing the official names.  I think that someone, anyone From VR, should read out the lore as a story. And we can get the names etc from that. :) 

• 1404 posts
    October 16, 2017 6:42 PM PDT

Durp said:

i liked hearing the official names.  I think that someone, anyone From VR, should read out the lore as a story. And we can get the names etc from that. :) 

I would think we should volunteer Kilsin for this... but then on second thought with that accent of his we would be ALL messed up.

• 2138 posts
    October 16, 2017 7:08 PM PDT

I love this.

Gootch?!- But I like the idea of getting the official phonetic pronounciation guide.

• 9115 posts
    October 16, 2017 7:56 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Durp said:

I would think we should volunteer Kilsin for this... but then on second thought with that accent of his we would be ALL messed up.

Lol, I am probably the worst out of everyone on the team to pronounce anything! But I would have fun trying haha :D

• 248 posts
    October 17, 2017 1:53 AM PDT

Durp said:

I would like to propose the guy from the San Diego Comic-Con Trailer "Bring Friends".
    He has a lovely voice for telling stories :)

-sorte.

• 2886 posts
    October 17, 2017 8:07 AM PDT

Durp said:

If I remember correctly, on the VR soundcloud, there are voice actor recordings of the Keepings of Castigue. It's from a few years ago and not all of those names are in it, but you might be able to get something out of it. For one thing, I used to think Castigue was pronounced "kast-EEG," but apparently it's "kast-ig-you." Either way, it's well done and entertaining :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at October 17, 2017 8:09 AM PDT