Forums » The Halflings

Halfling appearance

• 357 posts
    February 2, 2015 3:27 AM PST

I like the really early D&D halflings the ones that looked like children when they were adults. i really dont see how anything humanoid could have any agility when their feet have more mass than their Torso, i suppose Elfin ears could be used but i am not much of a fan of that either.

The whole mystique of the Halfling IMHO is the personality of the innocent, sticky-fingered, trickster. if they have features that make them immediately, Noticeably Different from human kids they lose the element of surprise.

if some kind of different look is used i guess it wont bother me too much, but all i ask is that we do not use the Tolkein halfling. its overdone and physically absurd

• 29 posts
    November 7, 2015 8:33 PM PST

Seems like you sort of got your wish, and I could not be happier about it! Do you think so?

• 30 posts
    November 8, 2015 3:33 AM PST

I am not a fan of the current look of the halfling. It looks almost "animelike" with it's colors. The races in general looks cool but there are some minor things which I feel could be improved:

My opinion about races

Halfling - Way to colorful as it's from two different games (anime and more realistic game). Tone it down please so it suits the style of the other races. Maybe little less colorful and not so huge haircut.

Ogre - Will all ogres have one real hand and one with a "claw" (whatever it's called in english) or can you choose an ogre with two hands in character creation? The orgre could be little more dirty also. It looks it has just taken a shower.

Archai and Dark Myr - Could have "real" eyes. Can we have the option to have real eyes in character creation please?

Dwarfes - Maybe to thick legs

This post was edited by Elmberry at November 8, 2015 3:34 AM PST
    • 29 posts
    November 8, 2015 4:03 AM PST

Didn't even occur to me that her hair was blue and red. I think I was seeing it as some kind of feathery headpiece, as it matches the fibers padding her clothes. You might be right, but even if so, I don't know what's off-style about some hair dye in a tribal culture, y'know?

This post was edited by KCRiley at November 8, 2015 4:17 AM PST
    • 2 posts
    November 14, 2015 3:57 PM PST

I don't think the halflings look out of place at all. I also don't think this game is realistic at all, in art direction or content. The only race which looks realistic is the human and that's because none of the other races exist in reality. Having the lower body of a serpent is, imo, much more unrealistic than a big and dyed haircut.

Anyway, when I saw the concept art for the halflings (which I think fits perfectly with their description) I decided there and then that I would play one once the game comes! In fact, I find it to be the coolest looking race in any MMO I've ever seen.

• 184 posts
    November 23, 2015 12:18 PM PST

I don't know, but for me the ogre holds a weapon in his left. I might be mistaken, though. 

Of course everything comes down to personal taste, but I have to admit that I love the appearance of the halfling. I love its hair and the overall feathery light look of the thing. I just love them, I can't help it. And when it comes to hairdresses and adornments, I am all for options. Just the eyes should be eyes of the races, maybe different shades, but human eyes in an Archai face? Don't know, doesn't seem fitting for such an alien looking race.

• 201 posts
    December 8, 2015 10:53 AM PST

Well, now we know why the 'wild' coloration of her halfling hair :D

I Love the look in Wild's End. Beautiful Scenery. Can't wait to check out the wellpond!

• 43 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:37 PM PST

I am going to be a halfling because to me pantheons representation of them is awsome and more in line with what I pictured myself. 

• 6642 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:58 PM PST

Driven said:

I am going to be a halfling because to me pantheons representation of them is awsome and more in line with what I pictured myself. 

I agree and I will most likely be a halfling main Rogue, see you in Sorhiryth :)

• 9 posts
    December 12, 2015 4:03 AM PST

Yes I'm so glad halfings are not just short, chubby hairy people. And Gnomes aren't just shorter, less chubby/hairier people that are smart. And the Archai to me are just a more badass barbarian, way way cooler than eq's barbarian. In fact all the races are awesome, going have to play all the races/classes are this rate. I have a feeling when Pantheon launches I may have to disappear for a good month. Whoever dsigned these races has some amazing creative talent, I'd love to see whoever designed these races give a little spill on how they came up about them, their design etc.

• 235 posts
    December 21, 2015 4:59 PM PST

Kantan said:

Yes I'm so glad halfings are not just short, chubby hairy people. And Gnomes aren't just shorter, less chubby/hairier people that are smart. And the Archai to me are just a more badass barbarian, way way cooler than eq's barbarian. In fact all the races are awesome, going have to play all the races/classes are this rate. I have a feeling when Pantheon launches I may have to disappear for a good month. Whoever dsigned these races has some amazing creative talent, I'd love to see whoever designed these races give a little spill on how they came up about them, their design etc.

Kantan, I think that's something we'd like to do at some point. Glad they've peaked your interest so far.

• 309 posts
    December 29, 2015 5:01 AM PST

I know when I showed the races to my wife she fell in LOVE with the Halflings and said at launch she would be playing one of those as her main character. Guess that means I am running around with a little adolescent girl as my healer :D lol

• 9 posts
    December 31, 2015 10:44 AM PST

Is that a pie in your pants (VG halfling).loved halflings and thier small houses 

• 357 posts
    January 18, 2016 9:55 AM PST

I really liked the halfling, i am thinking that i might have to name my first halfling character Rufio and find a shield that looks like a skateboard.

• 19 posts
    March 27, 2016 4:08 PM PDT

I like the look of the halflings, but I would agree maybe a bit shorter with more of an elven look.  If i remember correctly halflings are a off breed of elves or is it  half-fae/half-dwarves? oh wait maybe gnomes. gotta brush up on the lore again. lol

Elmberry said:

I am not a fan of the current look of the halfling. It looks almost "animelike" with it's colors. The races in general looks cool but there are some minor things which I feel could be improved:

My opinion about races

Halfling - Way to colorful as it's from two different games (anime and more realistic game). Tone it down please so it suits the style of the other races. Maybe little less colorful and not so huge haircut.

Ogre - Will all ogres have one real hand and one with a "claw" (whatever it's called in english) or can you choose an ogre with two hands in character creation? The orgre could be little more dirty also. It looks it has just taken a shower.

Archai and Dark Myr - Could have "real" eyes. Can we have the option to have real eyes in character creation please?

Dwarfes - Maybe to thick legs

• 171 posts
    March 29, 2016 7:43 PM PDT

rpger4life said:

I like the look of the halflings, but I would agree maybe a bit shorter with more of an elven look.  If i remember correctly halflings are a off breed of elves or is it  half-fae/half-dwarves? oh wait maybe gnomes. gotta brush up on the lore again. lol

Well, not halfbreed or offbreed. Humanoid. A Curse(deal made with the devil) made them Pint-sized.

• 38 posts
    April 9, 2016 7:20 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Driven said:

I agree and I will most likely be a halfling main Rogue, see you in Sorhiryth :)

I agree with you both, I love the approach to the Halfling and I too plan on going Halfling Rogue. :D Sorhiryth here I come!

• 159 posts
    August 29, 2016 7:30 PM PDT

Oh goodness, lots of Halfling Rogues incoming! Seems as if we'll have to decide upon a SUPER SECRET HALFLING ROGUE MEETING HIDEOUT. You know, to exchange secrets and techniques and drinks and tales of our adventures and super cool stuff like that.

• 279 posts
    November 29, 2016 4:10 PM PST

Elmberry said:

My opinion about races

I get what you are saying, but I feel like the rebellious teenager look fits into a race full of tricksters, party-goers, and perpetual teenagers. Also female anime characters are built with several features, like significantly larger heads and eyes, that make them look younger..Cartoon characters that look younger are probably going to share these features. Huzzah Jailbait race!

• 243 posts
    January 28, 2017 8:32 AM PST

I personally LOVE the new look of halflings, they scream young, vivacious, mischievously charming and fun!  Also love that you don't have to be short and fat to be one! They are still shorter than elves but not so much so that the only thing you see in first person are peoples knees.  Honestly this is the first time I have ever been excited to try one out! 

• 28 posts
    March 9, 2017 5:35 AM PST

The big hair, wild lives, and general attitudes of the porposed Halflings bring to mind the pen-and-paper RPG version from the game-realm DARK SUN, before (and after) the world was ravaged, drained, and left a barren wastelend.  Ooh!  as such, will they be cannibalistic?  Can I have a companion named "Clarice"?

*shiver*   Too much coffee...

• 53 posts
    June 21, 2017 7:00 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Driven said:

I'll see you on my druid!

• 53 posts
    June 21, 2017 7:05 AM PDT

I like the unkempt and rag tag look over all. It totally lends to the mischievous attitudes of traditional halfling lore. The particular one we see under the races section seems to have oriental influenced hair and eyes. I can see where it favors an anime style, but with that in mind this is concept art not a finished 3d model. I think if we have the ability to customize characters hair, facial dimensions, eye shapes etc, you'll find that we can have that more traditional look (I think?).

She looks more like Rufio from Hook than an anime character :P I mean for reals here...

This post was edited by arazons at June 21, 2017 8:10 AM PDT
    • 2137 posts
    June 21, 2017 9:46 AM PDT

arazons said:

I like the unkempt and rag tag look over all. It totally lends to the mischievous attitudes of traditional halfling lore. The particular one we see under the races section seems to have oriental influenced hair and eyes. I can see where it favors an anime style, but with that in mind this is concept art not a finished 3d model. I think if we have the ability to customize characters hair, facial dimensions, eye shapes etc, you'll find that we can have that more traditional look (I think?).

She looks more like Rufio from Hook than an anime character :P I mean for reals here...

Lol yeah I agree. Keep in mind, this is what Istuulamae said:

"While I'm pleased with the female Halfling we have depicted, know that she is but one member of the race. Not all of them will be running around with fluorescent plumes in their hair, in fact most will not. We've already settled on a more subtle color palette for Wild's End and the Halfling coloration will account for that. So while the art we’re all referencing is accurate to a type of Halfling, it is not indicative of all Halflings. But you guys have one image to analyze, and I don’t fault you for constructing a broader picture from it."

Source: (https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4909/more-different-than-gnomes)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 21, 2017 9:51 AM PDT