Forums » The Halflings

Halfling appearance

• 32 posts
    December 16, 2017 12:29 AM PST

I like the AD&D DARKSUN halflings...  Feral, vicious, and capable.  Not malicious or evil, but definitely not the roley-poley, over-fed, jovial, ruddy-faced, Tolkien-based standard.

• 67 posts
    February 12, 2018 8:55 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Lol yeah I agree. Keep in mind, this is what Istuulamae said:

"While I'm pleased with the female Halfling we have depicted, know that she is but one member of the race. Not all of them will be running around with fluorescent plumes in their hair, in fact most will not. We've already settled on a more subtle color palette for Wild's End and the Halfling coloration will account for that. So while the art we’re all referencing is accurate to a type of Halfling, it is not indicative of all Halflings. But you guys have one image to analyze, and I don’t fault you for constructing a broader picture from it."

Source: (https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4909/more-different-than-gnomes)

Well, people assume when they only release one image it would be as archtypal as possible. Why put an outlier as your first image? That being said, I like that they put this out there. I loved the look of the colorful Halfling, it brought to mind the sort of playfulness one would expect from a culture of perpetual youth, but a long-lasting society with only them running it? I think we may have just seen the adventuring halfling, the one who leaves Wild's End and is representative of Halflings to outsiders, not the standard.

• 99 posts
    February 22, 2018 9:53 AM PST

Hhhhmmmm.  I wonder if the explanation means appearance is *somewhat* based on which ideology the halfling follows (Esqaps, Maidyns and Nothi)?  Perhaps Maidyns are more colorful and exhuberant, the Nothi wearing darker tones simpler trappings and the Esqaps leaning a *little* more towards a "civilized" appearance?  Of course all keeping the basic fashion trend of Wild's End.

• 381 posts
    June 30, 2018 12:26 AM PDT

I really enjoyed the style of the EQ Halfing. Loved the big hairy feet and hope the Pantheon Halfings get a pair of those. 

• 522 posts
    June 30, 2018 7:14 AM PDT

Bronsun said:

I really enjoyed the style of the EQ Halfing. Loved the big hairy feet and hope the Pantheon Halfings get a pair of those. 

IDK man These halflings are halflings because they are half-aged, Basically teenagers and the like.

Hairy feet is something I'd expect on a fully grown hobbit ya know?

• 3833 posts
    July 2, 2018 3:51 AM PDT

If you want to read up on why the Pantheon Halflings look the way they do, you can do so here: http://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2017_october_how_halflings_happened/

But to summarize Istuulamae's thoughts:

"So these are not Tolkien's Hobbits. Visually it's pretty clear what separates our Halflings from the traditional fantasy style guide. The basis for Pantheon's Halflings started when we asked, 'What if they had a reason behind their appearance?' This helped us imagine them in a new light, with a backstory that flowed naturally (and I hope interestingly) up to the moment you'll encounter them in the world. They've been hunted and cursed, yet they've also turned the tables on their tormentor, halted the curse, then taken an affliction and made it a delight.

But what's really different about them, aside from hairless feet and a town in the trees? For me it's their childlike exuberance. Because of the curse they are old, almost haunted souls, yet they've overcome it with a smile, a song, and a razor sharp appetite for hunting wraiths. This is their normal, and it's quite different."

This post was edited by Bazgrim at July 2, 2018 3:53 AM PDT