Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Logitech ARX Control App

• 1281 posts
    October 11, 2017 2:29 PM PDT

The new Logitech higher-end keyboards have a built-in driver based app called ARX Control that can synchronize application information with your Android device.  I'm not sure if it has an equivalent app for the iOS based devices, but I would be surprised if it doesn't.  This is basically the modern day equivalent to the old flip-up LCD "gaming display" that the old higher-end keyboards had back in the day.

This can, literally, be made to display any sort of information that the app is programmed to send to it.  Supposedly, according to the configuration tool, there are already dozens of games that support it already.  I would like to see Pantheon support the app.  It could be used to display pretty much anything,  Health, Mana, stamina, whatever.  Theoretically, it would be able to support anything that the Pantheon devs could make it do.  For instance, offload the spell-book display to it or whatever.  What are your thoughts?  I can see uses for it besides the "gimmicky" ones, but it shouldn't be utilized in such a manner that it would handicap players who aren't ready to plunk down $170 on a keyboard.

Keep in mind that while I am in IT, It am *NOT* a programmer....hehehehe

• 2130 posts
    October 11, 2017 2:42 PM PDT

Seems redundant to me, honestly. I have a hard time imagining this feature of a keyboard as anything more than a gimmick.

My logic is as follows: If it displays unique information, it becomes a necessity. If it does not display unique information, it is a redundancy. Neither justifies its inclusion in Pantheon.

• 633 posts
    October 11, 2017 3:08 PM PDT

I have the ARX connected to my keyboard, mouse and headphones.  It is pretty neat.  I see it more useful though not displaying game-related information, but other information while I'm gaming.  Things like who is talking in voice-chat.

If it was to show in game stuff to me, since HP bars and stuff would just be redundant with the UI, it would be nice if certain chat channels could be echoed on it. That way it's easier to not miss things when someone /whispers you or says something in guild while other chat is spamming up the window.

I do have the SDK for the Arx app, but I haven't played with it yet.  Maybe I'll do that this weekend to see what all it does.

• 1281 posts
    October 11, 2017 5:09 PM PDT

kelenin said:

I have the ARX connected to my keyboard, mouse and headphones.  It is pretty neat.  I see it more useful though not displaying game-related information, but other information while I'm gaming.  Things like who is talking in voice-chat.

If it was to show in game stuff to me, since HP bars and stuff would just be redundant with the UI, it would be nice if certain chat channels could be echoed on it. That way it's easier to not miss things when someone /whispers you or says something in guild while other chat is spamming up the window.

I do have the SDK for the Arx app, but I haven't played with it yet.  Maybe I'll do that this weekend to see what all it does.

I will coment to yours but I am referring to yours and the one above it.

If you make it so that it is customizable it becomes a unique addition that is not required, but a "nice to have"  If you move UI items off to it, you can turn those items off on your screen, thus gaining more uninterrupted screen real estate.  By saying that it wouldn't be useful or that being able to add things to it makes "required" is like saying a second monitor isn't useful that it makes it required.

To me, it could be a more econoomical answer to a second monitor in some cases.  If you already have a tablet or smart phone that is supported, it would be cheaper than running out and buying a second monitor.

Screen real estate isn't a problem for me.  I have two 27" 4k monitors.  Not everyone does.  Even with my big ass monitors, I could still see some uses for having things sit on a tablet or smartphone even for me.

• 422 posts
    October 12, 2017 8:27 AM PDT

Meh, as a post launch feature this seems like a fun thing for people who want to spend the money for it.

Personal opinion is.... "Why?" but it's not like it's going to hurt the game.

• 261 posts
    October 12, 2017 2:45 PM PDT

I have the G19 with the LCD screen. I don't actually use it. Only thing I put on it is a small app when I play music though winamp which displays the ablum picture. I got the keyboard for the macro function and I thought I might use the LCD. Having things on it like health mana etc became more of a problem having to look down all the time and not whats happening on the screen.

After using it I prefer the UI on the monitor as it is much easier to look at there then having to look down at it all the time.

This post was edited by Boulda at October 12, 2017 2:45 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 12, 2017 5:06 PM PDT

Boulda said:

I have the G19 with the LCD screen. I don't actually use it. Only thing I put on it is a small app when I play music though winamp which displays the ablum picture. I got the keyboard for the macro function and I thought I might use the LCD. Having things on it like health mana etc became more of a problem having to look down all the time and not whats happening on the screen.

After using it I prefer the UI on the monitor as it is much easier to look at there then having to look down at it all the time.

The new ARX app can do so much more than the old G19 keyboards with the LCD screen.  In addition, it works with larger format devices like a tablet.  I could see plenty of uses for it for people.  Especially people who only have one monitor and don't want a super cluttered screen.  They could, potentially, offload some of the UI off to the device rather than having it on the screen.

This post was edited by Kalok at October 12, 2017 5:06 PM PDT
    • 261 posts
    October 12, 2017 5:45 PM PDT

Kalok said:

The new ARX app can do so much more than the old G19 keyboards with the LCD screen.  In addition, it works with larger format devices like a tablet.  I could see plenty of uses for it for people.  Especially people who only have one monitor and don't want a super cluttered screen.  They could, potentially, offload some of the UI off to the device rather than having it on the screen.

I would certainly give it a go if they develop for it. (Need a new keyboard prefer mechanical keys)