Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Laptop build

• 633 posts
    October 9, 2017 3:44 PM PDT

Hey guys,

My current laptop which I've had for almost 7 years now is starting to have hardware issues.  Keyboard doesn't work.  Wireless network card randomly stops working.  USB ports randomly stop working.  So I'm going to build a new one.  I just had one question for anyone who's had the Samsung 960 Pro m.2 drives.  I've read where people have had problems with the Pro and EVO drives with heat, and was wondering if anyone has had the same issue.  I'd hate to buy 2 of them for their speed just to find out they constantly overheat and throttle their speed down to cool off.

Thanks

• 4 posts
    October 10, 2017 12:45 AM PDT

I havent heard of people having heat issues with SSDs, though i havent really looked. Are you purchasing one of those custom made laptops? Wherever you buy it from,  they should be able to suggest a decent drive for the laptop. I myself purchased an Alienware 17 r4 and love it (little pricey but the build quality and asthetics of the new design trump a clevo i ordered beforehand and returned).

• 261 posts
    October 10, 2017 1:24 AM PDT

It depends on how you use them. They only heat up and throttle after continous file transfer use for >40 seconds. Game play wont be an issue as games usually do quick read/writes. Zoneing would probably be where it gets hammered but then that would only be 10-15 seconds (at a guess) not for 45 seconds of reading/writing.

I don't notice any issues with speed throttling on my 960. But then it is my games drive, my normal SSD's I use for heavy workload and they do slow down over time, but still much faster them my spinning drive.

In the end M.2 or a normal SSD, they will all slow down and throttle when they get too hot. So which ever you go with will be affected for big data transfers. Just the M.2 is about 4-5 times faster then the SSD version.

a 5GB file from a normal SSD to a M.2 took about 8 seconds. So 40 seconds of continues copy would be a fairly large amount of data. I just did a Bluray copy and it didn't slow down at all, which took a minute to copy. It was at the max read speed of the SSD. To really max it out, I would need another M.2 in the same machine. Then the bluray copy would only take about 15 seconds, well short of the 40 second mark.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Throttling-Analysis-776/

Also if you are building a desktop I wouldn't stick it right under the GPU where a few boards have them. Get a board with a bit of distance from the 2 big heat sources. (GPU/CPU)

If it's a laptop, I don't know of any which take 2 of them, but the CPU and GPU are usually away from the drives.

This post was edited by Boulda at October 10, 2017 1:26 AM PDT
    • 633 posts
    October 10, 2017 3:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the information, Boulda.  I'm building the laptop myself from a barebones kit as it is significantly cheaper than buying a pre-built laptop.  I was just wondering because I read some reviews of the drives complaining about how hot they get, but other reviews saying how great they were.  So I wanted to see if I could get some unbiased opinions  :)

• 261 posts
    October 10, 2017 4:53 AM PDT

Well reading a few articles they can push 70 deg. But these are people deliberatly and constantly using them to see how far they go. For normal use, I don't think there would be an issue. Since you are never constantly using them they wouldn't get too hot in my opinion. Nothing to truly base it on as I don't stick my hand in the case to check. Just with anything that generated heat. Make sure you have as much ventilation as possible.

Can you post a link to these kits? I haven't seen anything about building your own laptop down here.

• 633 posts
    October 10, 2017 5:52 AM PDT

Sure thing.  Here is the link:  http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=220

I'm looking at the kit http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30576, and having them put in a I7-7700 desktop processor and the Killer Wireless card.

Then I'll put in 2 https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E500BW/dp/B01M20VBU7/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1507475245&sr=1-2&keywords=m.2+ssd&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A14027459011, and put them in as a Raid 0.

and https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-HX424S14IBK2-32/dp/B01BNJL8I4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507474693&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston%2Bhyperx%2B2400&th=1

Buying those parts from Amazon is significantly cheaper than having them install them, so I'll do it myself.  All and all the laptop comes out about US $1700 before tax.  I can't get Alienware or HP to come even close to those specs for the price so that's why I build my own.

My current laptop is one I built myself also, and it was also a Clevo kit that I ordered from RJ Tech.  It was great, and is still a beast, it just is starting to have hardware faults as of the last couple of weeks so it's time for a new one.  If it wasn't for the faults, I'd still be using it and not worrying about a new laptop.

This post was edited by kelenin at October 10, 2017 5:55 AM PDT
    • 201 posts
    October 11, 2017 6:09 AM PDT

First, I'm not really seeing a savings adding everything up.  I've seen similar laptops go on sale for less than 1700, you just got to keep your eyes open. 

2nd,  I'd recommend something different.  The 1060 on the kit you listed won't be that great if you unless you planned on building another in a year or two.

• 159 posts
    October 11, 2017 6:14 AM PDT

I have a 950 Pro m.2 SSD and haven't run across any issues, but then it's a desktop computer, not a laptop.

I also have to say I recognize the Clevo brand as my brother bought a laptop from them and has had huge issues. So far he's RMA'd it three times and hasn't gotten them to fix the issue of the laptop randomly not booting. That's the only thing I know about the brand so I don't want to be unfair, but maybe check out their reputation and reliability before buying.

Lastly I don't know if it's really the best idea to use two m.2 SSDs as RAID0. First off any chipset has limited PCIe lanes so installing 2 m.2 SSDs may switch the graphics card to x8 instead of x16. There's also the possibility that one of the m.2 slots uses a SATA interface (m.2 is just a physical connector form factor, it can use either PCIe, SATA or both) so do check if that is the case, as using a 960 Pro over SATA would be a waste. RAID 0 also brings only marginal speed increase (see here) and it means that if you suffer damage to one drive, all your data may be lost.

• 633 posts
    October 11, 2017 4:15 PM PDT

daemonios said:

I have a 950 Pro m.2 SSD and haven't run across any issues, but then it's a desktop computer, not a laptop.

I also have to say I recognize the Clevo brand as my brother bought a laptop from them and has had huge issues. So far he's RMA'd it three times and hasn't gotten them to fix the issue of the laptop randomly not booting. That's the only thing I know about the brand so I don't want to be unfair, but maybe check out their reputation and reliability before buying.

Lastly I don't know if it's really the best idea to use two m.2 SSDs as RAID0. First off any chipset has limited PCIe lanes so installing 2 m.2 SSDs may switch the graphics card to x8 instead of x16. There's also the possibility that one of the m.2 slots uses a SATA interface (m.2 is just a physical connector form factor, it can use either PCIe, SATA or both) so do check if that is the case, as using a 960 Pro over SATA would be a waste. RAID 0 also brings only marginal speed increase (see here) and it means that if you suffer damage to one drive, all your data may be lost.

You make a couple of good points here I didn't think about.  I checked the chipset and it provides 24 PCIe lanes so both m.2 slots can be used and still provides 16 lanes for the GPU.  I had previously made sure that both slots were actual m.2 PCIe x4 slots.

Thanks for the feedback.