Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

AIM Shutting down!

• 626 posts
    October 6, 2017 1:21 PM PDT

Welp AIM is finally shutting down so I wanted to do something fun... Seems everyone had the best handles on AIM so what was yours?

Q: What was your Name on AIM?

A: Snackcracker29

• 769 posts
    October 6, 2017 1:31 PM PDT

I was in the throes of puberty during AIM, so don't judge me too much ...but it was

Username: DoD83

Which stood for ...*ahem* ... "D**k of Death"

Yea yea yea, shut up.

• 633 posts
    October 6, 2017 1:48 PM PDT

I had Prodigy, and Prodigy assigned your user IDs as a random string of letters and numbers.

• 3237 posts
    October 6, 2017 2:13 PM PDT

Oh ... back in the roleplaying days.  GrymReapyr was my first when it was limited to 10 characters.  When they later extended it I used TheeAbomination.  Played a Setite vampire.

• 1785 posts
    October 6, 2017 5:42 PM PDT

I never used AIM but I think I still remember my old ICQ number from way back when.

Fun fact: My personal email address (Hotmail) is 21 years old. I set it up when I realized that I wasn't going to be able to keep my .edu address from college much longer :P

Ok wow I feel old now.

• 208 posts
    October 7, 2017 6:45 PM PDT

I remember using AIM as well as ICQ and a few other chat programs but I don't remember the handles I used.  I do however still have my first ever email account I made back in 1995.  I have lost some of the other email accounts I made over the years but I still have my first email account :) 

Yea!!! Dorkiness is still alive and proud :)

This post was edited by Sogotp at October 7, 2017 6:46 PM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    October 7, 2017 7:27 PM PDT

I used to love ICQ. I spent many hours chatting to random people when I was a teenager. Never used AIM though the MSN chat application was more popular here.

ICQ had some features that made talking to random people so easy. Some of the things I used to talk about make me cringe hard.

• 1120 posts
    October 11, 2017 8:53 PM PDT

my 16 year old self is so sad

• 3016 posts
    October 16, 2017 11:06 AM PDT

I vaguely remember Aim..was an ICQ user for a time..and I have no memory what my handle was.  lol  Too many years have flown by. :)