Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Why do you (or don't you) create and level up alts in games?

• 126 posts
    November 4, 2017 4:17 PM PDT

It depends on the game really.

I never had an alt in EQ back in the day because I never had time. As a raid cleric for the top guild on my server it was basically raiding every night.

EQ TLP now on Agnarr I have a few but only two are 60 as it's easier to level up this time around what with the bonus exp weekends and all.

• 1120 posts
    November 5, 2017 2:03 PM PST

Nephele said:

Why do you (or why don't you) create and level up alts in the games that you've played?

Ive always been kind of an "elitist" gamer.  And imo the only way that one can consider themselves elite is by mastering their class.  For me, that means learning the ins and outs of my class and experiencing every scenario i can.  If i have even the slightest room for improvement, i cant make an alt.

• 106 posts
    November 6, 2017 2:31 AM PST

Hello everyone. Sometimes I play alts when I run out of bank slots or do not have enough inventory space. Half the time my alt becomes my main while my main becomes the alt. Other times i have two main which i like. Then make another alt for crafting and extra inventory space. But also at times my alt(s) become a needed class when one is needed in a party or grouping.

• 3852 posts
    November 9, 2017 8:46 AM PST

I am the exact opposite of Porygon. I love alts. Toonlings are so ...cute. As long as my highest level is barely competent I will only grudgingly waste time on her.

Alts let me maximize abilities at every craft (in games where one character can't do everything). Alts let me try all the classes and all the races and try all the starting areas and story lines (in games with more than one). Alts give me a break from always doing the same thing in about the same way.

I hasten to add that this is the perspective of someone that doesn't raid and rarely groups after hitting level cap. If other people were relying on my high level I would spend a lot more time on her.

But my style is to have many classes, all competant but none really good. Dorotea Rent-a-Toon. The class you need at a fair price (TM).

• 154 posts
    November 20, 2017 12:39 PM PST

Nephele said: 

Why do you (or why don't you) create and level up alts in the games that you've played?

My main character requires my full attention if the game is awesome! 

I would only create an alt if I notice that my group is lacking something and we need a specific role like an extra tank or a healer.

On a PvP server, I would almost never create an alt. While you are PvE with your friends, you need to be able to manage PvP happening at the same time, this is why you need awesome gear with resists and master spells (gear is so critical). 

I initially played Brigand (scout class that would give group stealth in Everquest 2), I was able to track people, give stealth, and DPS. But I switched for a defiler (shaman). Adding a shaman to our group was a great move. Our druid/shaman combo was really strong. The druid would be able to cast quick heals to different targets pretty quickly, CC and damage ennemies while I would cast my long wards to protect the group. Our tank will taunt PvP ennemies, interrupt ennemies healers and DPS to allow us to cast long spells. It was really hard for a PvP group to down both the druid and my shaman at the same time, we were able to keep each other alive.