Forums » Pantheon Races

Areas scaled to race size?

    • 26 posts
    September 17, 2017 4:10 AM PDT

    In original Everquest the gnome areas had small doors, the ogre areas had huge doors and so on. Will it be like this in Pantheon too or will it be streamlined so all areas fit every race? Not only does this add more flavor to the zones but needing an alchemist or caster to help you shrink is good for player interraction.

    • 4209 posts
    September 17, 2017 8:12 AM PDT

    From Montreseur:

    "This will really come down to architecture of the given race. Not all doorways will be just shy of the given races head; this may be the case more or less with a basic Gnome or Halfling home. I always loved this mechanic from EverQuest, and the more general idea of emergent content being produced like that. Where the players rely on one another not only for progressing in combat, but for general mobility and exploration. I will say that I definitely wouldn't force it- In the sense that I would purposely make the architecture shorter to make way for this, I would also not purposely build a "small" races architecture large for the sake of the larger races. It all comes down to the lore, how the Race builds, what type of structure it is, etc."

    (Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1709/city-scale )

     

    • 1414 posts
    September 18, 2017 10:12 AM PDT

    By extension this will most likely also be applied to non-player races and their environments.  The diminuitive Goblin should live in small tunnels or other underground structures whereas a Giant should have architecture sized for them.  The differences need to be significant enough that unimpeded movement by races of opposite size should be difficult.  Gnomes should need to jump to reach the doorknob of an Ogre door while the Ogre should need a shink potion to fit through a Gnome sized door.  In the fortress of a Giant, special magical assistance should be needed for all races just to get up the stairs.

    • 29 posts
    April 29, 2018 3:49 PM PDT

    Draulius said:

    In original Everquest the gnome areas had small doors, the ogre areas had huge doors and so on. Will it be like this in Pantheon too or will it be streamlined so all areas fit every race? Not only does this add more flavor to the zones but needing an alchemist or caster to help you shrink is good for player interraction.

    Personally I really loved this. Playing a Gnome with a special hidden city, where the large folk had great trouble going, just felt so unique. It really made you feel like you had special access/privilage. It was akin to the faction needed to enter Neriak, or certain temples. 

    Exclusivity, makes the heart grow fonder. 

    • 1491 posts
    April 29, 2018 4:27 PM PDT

    I'm not sure the dispredancy will be as big as it was in EQ, in pantheons all races seems to be "close to human size", beeing mostly 20% bigger or smaller than them.

     

    But racial architecture should be tied to the race size nonetheless, even if it's dampened.


    This post was edited by MauvaisOeil at April 29, 2018 4:28 PM PDT
    • 29 posts
    April 30, 2018 6:12 AM PDT

    Thanks. I have read elsewhere that the art is only conceptual at this point and not to be considered representitive of the final product. 

    We also have to consider how many games have deep character customization, including size/height sliders. 

    • 4209 posts
    April 30, 2018 8:11 AM PDT

    Finbar said:

    Thanks. I have read elsewhere that the art is only conceptual at this point and not to be considered representitive of the final product. 

    We also have to consider how many games have deep character customization, including size/height sliders. 

    This is correct. That image is a little outdated. The relative size is not final and should not be treated as absolute truth. It's more conceptual.

    From Istuulamae:

    "The art and 'Lineup' of the new website was done as a first pass rendering of each race. One aspect that has already been reviewed internally is the relative height of each race as depicted in the lineup wallpaper -- specifically the Halflings. By launch, the Halflings will be one of the shortest two races, as it stands right now. While the lore may not be clear enough, both the size and appearance of their physical maturity was "halved". Rest assured: they will be small, not tall."

    (Souce: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4909/more-different-than-gnomes)

    "We will have race-specific sliders that will allow for reasonable and appropriate variance... I can't say whether or not the norms of the final iteration will be more to your liking, but I can say that we're not done tinkering with proportions, relative size and so on."

    Also see:

    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5219/races-height-size

    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5769/races-not-that-different-in-size


    This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 30, 2018 8:12 AM PDT
    • 1491 posts
    April 30, 2018 12:22 PM PDT

    Well, sorry about giving false information. I'm still not used to the website beeing outdated or pre new-decisions.

     

    Maybe the sunhunter's pledge will give more information about size scales, but I enjoyed the ideas of halflings beeing 1m40 tall. The art on the website enjoyed me way much more than the latests artworks, but that's just a personnal PoV.

    • 29 posts
    May 1, 2018 6:48 AM PDT

    No need for apologies! We are all guessing here! :)

    I think we should just stay open minded to any changes in racial physicality and aesthetics until we are much further down the line.  

    Personally, I like my gnomes 3 apples high! 

    That reminds me, remember the fey in EQ2? What an amazing concept that was! 


    This post was edited by Finbar at May 1, 2018 6:53 AM PDT
    • 1491 posts
    May 1, 2018 7:04 AM PDT

    Finbar said:

    No need for apologies! We are all guessing here! :)

    I think we should just stay open minded to any changes in racial physicality and aesthetics until we are much further down the line.  

    Personally, I like my gnomes 3 apples high! 

    That reminds me, remember the fey in EQ2? What an amazing concept that was! 

     

    I do remember but they didn't sound really cool to me. I mean, they were somehow exclusive to the game, but how would you justify a minuscule Fae slashing and tanking with sword and board ?

    I was way more fond of the Roekkiliks (what where their playable race name again ? Ratonga ?), as they were closer to "standart size" and fluffcute as hell. but EQ2 if I remember, had no class/rass limit right ?

    • 182 posts
    April 4, 2019 7:37 AM PDT

    Was thinking about this today and I'm torn. On one hand, I'd love to see some areas that can't be accessed if you're playing a race that's too large (the gnome city above is a great example, and was very cool), but on the other hand, do you all think it should restrict content just because you picked a large race? I'm on the fence, honestly. I want our choices to matter, just not sure if I want them to matter that much. Thoughts?

    Edit: I remember seeing in one thread a discussion about dragon or giant areas, how someone was musing about a smaller race trying to go up steps that were made for very large creatures. It makes sense from the perspective of 'realism' and believeability, just not sure about practicality.


    This post was edited by Percipiens at April 4, 2019 9:00 AM PDT
    • 1414 posts
    April 4, 2019 10:04 AM PDT

    Percipiens said:

    Was thinking about this today and I'm torn. On one hand, I'd love to see some areas that can't be accessed if you're playing a race that's too large (the gnome city above is a great example, and was very cool), but on the other hand, do you all think it should restrict content just because you picked a large race? I'm on the fence, honestly. I want our choices to matter, just not sure if I want them to matter that much. Thoughts?

    Edit: I remember seeing in one thread a discussion about dragon or giant areas, how someone was musing about a smaller race trying to go up steps that were made for very large creatures. It makes sense from the perspective of 'realism' and believeability, just not sure about practicality.

    Nothing would stop the players from using magical means to overcome the obstacles.  Too big?  Use a shrink potion.  Too small?  Growth potion.  There could be any number of means by which players should be able to compensate, somewhat, for differences in scale.  The important thing is that there are differences that need to be overcome.

    • 559 posts
    April 6, 2019 9:08 AM PDT

    Finbar said:

    No need for apologies! We are all guessing here! :)

    I think we should just stay open minded to any changes in racial physicality and aesthetics until we are much further down the line.  

    Personally, I like my gnomes 3 apples high! 

    That reminds me, remember the fey in EQ2? What an amazing concept that was! 

    I do remember the Fae, and I think it is a safe bet that (like the Fae) there will eventually be new races introduced to Terminus via expansions and likely even new classes... eventually.  With that said, I didn't like the fae until I started to get killed by twinked Fae rangers made at the smallest possible size that I couldn't even see until it was too late.