Forums » General Guild Discussion

Reserve Guild Names?

• 223 posts
    October 16, 2017 9:48 AM PDT

Guild Name Ransoms?  How much is your guild name worth to you.... dun dun dun

• 2214 posts
    October 16, 2017 9:58 AM PDT

Dealt with it on Agnarr.  Someone locked down "The Divine Council" and wanted something obnoxious for it.  It's nice to think that people wouldn't do something like that but it can and will happen.  I have a few ideas of who the internet gangster was that held it for ransom but nobody has owned up to it.  They did it on an alias to level up their anonymous trolling skill.

• 467 posts
    October 16, 2017 10:18 AM PDT

It seems to me that the elegant way to deal with this pre-launch is right here in the forum.

There is already a forum for guilds to advertise and a thread requesting that guilds provide contact information to Kilsin.  It wouldn't be rocket science at VR's end to link our Pantheon account to guild names from his spreadsheet.

If people are going to try to hold large guilds for ransom over names, just like domain registrations, they are going to pay a modest fee and hope to recoup their costs.  As an example, when we tried to register "divinityguild.com" someone had the name locked down and wanted to sell it to us for $5,600.

If the fee isn't modest, then smaller guilds or guild leaders that don't have a lot of financial resources are going to be significantly disadvantaged and overburdened by unnecessary entry expense to Pantheon.

By using the forum in advance of launch like civilized folk, we are able to establish our credibility with VR and the rest of the Pantheon community.  Legitimate guild leaders have ample opportunity to post and essentially reserve their name, thus putting the pure opportunists out of business before they start.

This post was edited by Celandor at October 16, 2017 10:22 AM PDT
    • 298 posts
    October 16, 2017 4:39 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Dealt with it on Agnarr.  Someone locked down "The Divine Council" and wanted something obnoxious for it.  It's nice to think that people wouldn't do something like that but it can and will happen.  I have a few ideas of who the internet gangster was that held it for ransom but nobody has owned up to it.  They did it on an alias to level up their anonymous trolling skill.

If they make guild creation similar to WoW where you actually need money to make the charter and then need 9 other players to sign it...i feel that would eliminate almost all if the concerns surrounding guild names.

Eq was literally just make a guild and it's yours.  Nothing stopping the trolls.

• 584 posts
    October 17, 2017 8:32 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

We are looking at putting a Guild pledge together that would include something like this but it is only in discussion phases and not guaranteed, we just need to see what will be best for the community before going ahead with anything like this.

Alpha-PreAlpha guilds.

Depending on the size of numbers prior, it might be a good idea to establish either a 10 dollar charge like some other games did to get your name reserved. The 10 dollars pays for the time involved in setting it up in the database. We could even go as far as adding a small guild crest to the name in chat. Shows up if a member of the guild speaks openly, and only those in the guild can see the icon.

Just an idea, i know some games used the reservation system and a slight charge was applied.

Otherwise once beta comes along, people will be able to openly reserve names at the time.

• 223 posts
    October 18, 2017 5:40 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

Kilsin said:

We are looking at putting a Guild pledge together that would include something like this but it is only in discussion phases and not guaranteed, we just need to see what will be best for the community before going ahead with anything like this.

Alpha-PreAlpha guilds.

Depending on the size of numbers prior, it might be a good idea to establish either a 10 dollar charge like some other games did to get your name reserved. The 10 dollars pays for the time involved in setting it up in the database. We could even go as far as adding a small guild crest to the name in chat. Shows up if a member of the guild speaks openly, and only those in the guild can see the icon.

Just an idea, i know some games used the reservation system and a slight charge was applied.

Otherwise once beta comes along, people will be able to openly reserve names at the time.

10 bucks for time involved in data entry of a few fields?  Sign me up, i'll enter all the guild names for that price.

Also I still feel like we need a system that doesn't stop small guilds from doing as much as large guilds.  If someone only wants a guild with 6 people, we shouldn't create a situation where money, in game or out should limit that(or body count for that matter).

• 298 posts
    October 20, 2017 4:56 PM PDT

I really doubt the amount of the pledge would be anything that would stop a guild from doing it if they wanted to.   It would likely be a fairly nominal amount. 

• 310 posts
    October 25, 2017 3:22 AM PDT

Hmm, this sounds interesting. Like mentioned many times before in simular situations with name reservation some companies released a reservation software for X amount of $. Another thing i would like to get insight on with this topic is: So if we could initally reserve Guild Names would that also mean that the Name reserved would be locked out from others creating a guild on another shard/server with the same name? The reason i ask this is for the simple fact of giving guilds some room to expand maybe. some Guilds might want to go off to PvP and PvE or even go to RP or they branch off in all directions. Or to stop confusions by having guild name listed on x amount of servers. What do you guys think?

Then there is the question about Guild Leaders maybe wanting to have 2 Guilds one for the Mainstream and one for Alts/Twinks maybe to keep things tidy. I for one cant wait to here more on the Guild Alliance/Warfare mechanics and what that intails. How would this be handled. Multiple purchases/reservations ? 

Then there is obviously the record of established guilds that could combat this issue of having your Guild name ripped away from you in front of your eyes by contacting a GM or Support and stating your case which then would put extra workload on a already busy workload for these guys which is something we all should combat. 

We already have many Guilds established who have been around for many years and many newly created guilds explicit to pantheon. 

But then there is the case of maybe more than one person having the same guild name as yours how do you rate this? The fairest and easiest way it what Kilsin suggested currently being discussed internally. At least from VR`s standpoint it then becomes fairgame. 

Definitely hit an interesting topic here. 

• 985 posts
    October 30, 2017 12:23 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Any update on this from the PRF side Kilsin?

Ox

This post was edited by Oxillion at October 30, 2017 12:23 PM PDT
    • 7830 posts
    October 30, 2017 6:09 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

Kilsin said:

Any update on this from the PRF side Kilsin?

Ox

Nothing at this stage, the focus is on getting into PA1 man. :)

• 985 posts
    October 31, 2017 9:31 AM PDT

Another quick question onthis subject is the guild tag even going to be in at the early stage?  Not sure if you can answer that yet but thought I would ask.

Ox

• 69 posts
    January 9, 2018 10:42 AM PST

I hope the game doesnt clear/reset guilds between pre-alpha, or alpha, beta, and release.  It would be unfortunate for a guild to be started in beta under one name and then have that name lost...

IMO names should NOT be reserved with cash.  Guild names should be first come first serve, but you must have at least two groups (or 12 people) to start a guild.  You should have to form a raid with 12+ people to get the create guild option in game.

• 110 posts
    January 9, 2018 12:01 PM PST

SWTOR did it well if I recall, people who pre-purchased the game got to pre-register their guilds and pre-select their servers. As soon as you logged in for the first time your guild already existed and you were already a member. I'm not sure how they would deal with two guilds wanting the same name on the same server though...

This post was edited by Kipling at January 9, 2018 12:02 PM PST
    • 962 posts
    January 17, 2018 8:58 AM PST

I am not sure I see a reason to treat guild names different than personal names. and I am fairly sure that personal names used in testing (any stage of testing) will not let the player keep that name when the game goes live. There will be a different mechanism unrelated to testing that allows us to reserve names if our pledge level permits this. 

This makes sense because people that paid for a pledge level that includes reserving a name were never told that they would only get to reserve a name if they participated in testing. This also makes sense because testing most likely will be on one server (at least for most of the process) but names will most likely be unique for each server. If I have a character in testing should I have control over that name on EVERY server at release? 

Note that this  is opinion based on what VR has said and done but not fact. VR has not gotten specific on this topic yet, and probably shouldn't until closer to release.

As to what Defector suggests - I can see a rationale for this but I can also see negatives.

1. Is it fair for access to guild names to be based on how many friends you have on the server you start on (presumably based on arrangements made in advance on these forums) so that if I line up 11 other people all of whom can be on at release I get first choice of all guild names? 

2. More importantly - do we want chat at release plus 30 seconds filled with guildspam as folks frantically try to get enough people to form a guild and get a name?

Since personal names will be reserved in advance, perhaps the same should apply to guild names. After servers are finalized and announced and perhaps requiring at least 6 or 10 or 12 forum members signing up for the guild possibly with a limitation of signing up for just ONE guild for name purposes even though any of us will be able to be in multiple guilds in-game.

• 1059 posts
    January 19, 2018 9:09 AM PST

Kipling said:

SWTOR did it well if I recall, people who pre-purchased the game got to pre-register their guilds and pre-select their servers. As soon as you logged in for the first time your guild already existed and you were already a member. I'm not sure how they would deal with two guilds wanting the same name on the same server though...

I remember this from SWTOR.  It was very smooth.  There were certain things you had to fill out ahead of time to get the guild registered and assigned to a server.  I think the Guild Leader had to submit a final roster or something.  I can't remember many of the details now, but it was a great way of doing it.