Forums » General Guild Discussion

Reserve Guild Names?

• 1541 posts
    September 15, 2017 5:01 AM PDT

In the pledge package I have one of the rewards is being able to reserve a character name but one thing that worries me is if someone steals me guild name. So would it be possible for guild leaders to reserve their guild name as well?

I know a lot of people have put an awful lot of work into their guilds and it would be a real shame if a troll came along and stole their guild name just for a laugh. For instance my guild has been going since 2003 with the same name in multiple games. People know us by name on European servers and if we lost our name I would be absolutely devastated. I might even post a bit of a rant and flame if that happened :).

So it would be good if guild leaders could reserve their guild names before the launch of the game. I just looked at my recruitment thread and I made the first post on May 12th 2016 making our guild one of the oldest in Pantheon. It would be nice if I could relax a little and know my guild name was safe.

• 208 posts
    September 15, 2017 6:03 AM PDT

I would hate that too, but literally every single person who has pledged could then reserve their own personal guild name...  Then just sell it to people they know intended to use that guild name for their guild.

However it would be cool if they could do something for that. Like people have to group up in the new forums. And then the leader creates the guild name. And they have to have like 5 people in the group total to make the guild? Preventing multiple people from taking names.

Or hopefully just the pledges get to reserve their guild name. Atleast we know most people in our community now aren't a**holes. Would hate to compete with everyone else at launch for my guild name :(

This post was edited by fancy at September 15, 2017 6:04 AM PDT
    • 1632 posts
    September 15, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

I forget which games, but a couple of games I've been in in the past have actually removed guild names from people to give them to others.  They did this because the "others" showed that the guild name was an existing guild that spanned multiple games and had a standing player-base.  Not saying VR will do that, but it is always an option.

• 8596 posts
    September 15, 2017 6:14 PM PDT

We are looking at putting a Guild pledge together that would include something like this but it is only in discussion phases and not guaranteed, we just need to see what will be best for the community before going ahead with anything like this.

• 3201 posts
    September 15, 2017 7:39 PM PDT

That would be nice!  We dealt with this issue on the EQ Progression server recently and there was nothing that could be done about it.  I agree with Crom completely and hope that measures can be put in place to prevent people from holding guild names hostage for no purpose other than trolling.

• 4 posts
    September 15, 2017 9:13 PM PDT

Agreed! Our guild has had a rep on just about every RPG out there... I'd gladly pay to get that reserved! 

• 1541 posts
    September 16, 2017 4:13 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

We are looking at putting a Guild pledge together that would include something like this but it is only in discussion phases and not guaranteed, we just need to see what will be best for the community before going ahead with anything like this.

That sounds cool. I'd certainly buy that straight away. I'd be interested to hear what else might be included in something like that for guilds. There are loads of features a game could include that could add real value to guilds.

• 224 posts
    September 19, 2017 6:16 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I would only worry about smaller guilds and the price.  Obviously something like this is geared toward larger guilds that can easily split the cost throughout the members.

• 1541 posts
    September 19, 2017 7:36 AM PDT

Rivacom said:

Kilsin said:

I would only worry about smaller guilds and the price.  Obviously something like this is geared toward larger guilds that can easily split the cost throughout the members.

I hope it won't be really expensive as well. I'll probably stump up the price for it to be honest no matter what but I don't like the idea of asking my guild mates for money to help pay for it. It just feels wrong to me.

• 132 posts
    September 19, 2017 10:41 AM PDT

I would also pay $$$ to save my guild name, as it's a relatively common word and I do worry about it being taken.

Another thing to mention is that if guild leaders are stressing to get their guild signed up, they're rushing through the opening content of the game, and that undermines all the effort being put into the amazing world.

I know in my case, if I wasn't ensured that my guild name was saved for me, I really would be rushing to get the gold or level or whatever requirement to make my guild, and I really don't want to be put in that position since I typically enjoy taking my time and really exploring.

• 224 posts
    September 20, 2017 5:40 AM PDT

Temmi said:

I would also pay $$$ to save my guild name, as it's a relatively common word and I do worry about it being taken.

Another thing to mention is that if guild leaders are stressing to get their guild signed up, they're rushing through the opening content of the game, and that undermines all the effort being put into the amazing world.

I know in my case, if I wasn't ensured that my guild name was saved for me, I really would be rushing to get the gold or level or whatever requirement to make my guild, and I really don't want to be put in that position since I typically enjoy taking my time and really exploring.

Although I've never had a issue getting a guild name at launch like your pointing out.  This can all be avoided by setting up a system similar to SWTOR(or what they had).  They had a awesome pre-launch guild registration system which was free.  Had no issue registering names, and if there was a duplicate, it would auto assign you to seperate servers.  Honestly my point is, paying to reserve is a big step in the wrong direction.  Maybe allow Pledges to reserve?  But asking for more money on top of pledge money seems a little extreme.

• 208 posts
    September 20, 2017 8:22 AM PDT

Yea, my entire family pledged about $400-$500 together. Can't really do anymore unless we just focus on one person's account. I would hope we wouldn't have to do a guild pledge too. Would be awesome though to see something put in place to help those actually trying to start a guild together. Like one person can reserve the guild name, and others can either reserve it or join one already created with an invite. Then once that's done, there's no going back. You choose whether to reserve it or join one already created.

Just tossing some ideas around really. Hopefully you guys find something to help with that though. Would hate to see some troll take a guilds name as hostage. Especially a guild's name with like 50 people ready to join as soon as the game launches. What a mess that would create for some people....

• 132 posts
    September 20, 2017 10:18 AM PDT

Rivacom said:

Although I've never had a issue getting a guild name at launch like your pointing out.  This can all be avoided by setting up a system similar to SWTOR(or what they had).  They had a awesome pre-launch guild registration system which was free.  Had no issue registering names, and if there was a duplicate, it would auto assign you to seperate servers.  Honestly my point is, paying to reserve is a big step in the wrong direction.  Maybe allow Pledges to reserve?  But asking for more money on top of pledge money seems a little extreme.

This type of system wouldn't work at all in my case, and I'm sure many others. We're a roleplaying guild, which means we have to be on the roleplaying server. Simply getting assigned to another server would be unacceptable.

I think the idea was just to make guild pledges that might include guild name reservation, not asking for money straight out to reserve guild names. Ideally, the guild pledges would have a variety of other benefits for the guild, and the fees would be split between the members.

I probably should hold my anxieties in check, since we're so far out from launch, but I'm dreading the idea of having to rush through the early game to create my guild. Even if I wasn't worried about the name being taken, it's of great benefit to create the guild as quickly as possible to open up the communication and organization it offers. I'd probably blast through the early game on a different character just to get the guild set up ASAP, but then I'm reliant on being able to transfer leadership to my main character, with whom I'd want to take the time and explore and experience everything.

It would really be positive if there were guild pledges that perhaps allowed you to start the game with the guild already created? And pre-register the guild name? That would take a lot of stress and anxiety off my shoulders.

• 224 posts
    September 22, 2017 6:01 AM PDT

Temmi said:

Rivacom said:

This type of system wouldn't work at all in my case, and I'm sure many others. We're a roleplaying guild, which means we have to be on the roleplaying server. Simply getting assigned to another server would be unacceptable.

I think the idea was just to make guild pledges that might include guild name reservation, not asking for money straight out to reserve guild names. Ideally, the guild pledges would have a variety of other benefits for the guild, and the fees would be split between the members.

The system would of worked fine for you,  there was many options to choose from.  Types of server, special requirements, location.  It basically pinpointed your perfect server and placed you on there with your guild name.  So you wanted a RP server on the east coast with guild, done.  It was a very simple system that made everyone happy.

I probably should hold my anxieties in check, since we're so far out from launch, but I'm dreading the idea of having to rush through the early game to create my guild. Even if I wasn't worried about the name being taken, it's of great benefit to create the guild as quickly as possible to open up the communication and organization it offers. I'd probably blast through the early game on a different character just to get the guild set up ASAP, but then I'm reliant on being able to transfer leadership to my main character, with whom I'd want to take the time and explore and experience everything.

It would really be positive if there were guild pledges that perhaps allowed you to start the game with the guild already created? And pre-register the guild name? That would take a lot of stress and anxiety off my shoulders.

They thought of that with this system.   You had a bunch of options to choose from such as RP, PVP, PVE, What timezone you prefer, what clans you were allied with , etc etc.  It was a perfect placement tool.  Pay to reserve is just a way to scare off people,  smaller guilds aren't going to upfront cash to get a name and it doesn't seem fair to tell them too bad if they don't have the cash.  What if they made it so pledges can reserve on top of guild pledges or something similar.

This post was edited by Rivacom at September 22, 2017 6:05 AM PDT
    • 1541 posts
    September 22, 2017 6:16 AM PDT

I certainly agree that guilds should be able to be created the instant you first log into the game. I see no benefit in restricting who can start a guild based on their level and I agree with Temmi that auto server selection really wouldn't work.

I'm assuming VR will release a list of available servers a week or so before launch. My guild will be choosing the server we are going to play on way before the game actually comes out for real. Then we will make the guild on the server we have chosen.

Server selection comes down to more than just PvE, PvP, RP and time zone. Maybe we want to be on the same server as another guild? Maybe we don't want to be on the same server as another guild?

Nope the choice has to be down to the guild and a list of servers should be released before the game is released so we have plenty of time to make our choice together as a group.

• 224 posts
    September 22, 2017 10:19 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

I certainly agree that guilds should be able to be created the instant you first log into the game. I see no benefit in restricting who can start a guild based on their level and I agree with Temmi that auto server selection really wouldn't work.

I'm assuming VR will release a list of available servers a week or so before launch. My guild will be choosing the server we are going to play on way before the game actually comes out for real. Then we will make the guild on the server we have chosen.

Server selection comes down to more than just PvE, PvP, RP and time zone. Maybe we want to be on the same server as another guild? Maybe we don't want to be on the same server as another guild?

Nope the choice has to be down to the guild and a list of servers should be released before the game is released so we have plenty of time to make our choice together as a group.

Again, this was all covered.  You were able to pick allies, enemies.  Everything was covered.  Maybe a similar system but the ability to change servers after the fact before launch would be good?

• 1541 posts
    September 22, 2017 11:23 AM PDT

Rivacom said:

Cromulent said:

Again, this was all covered.  You were able to pick allies, enemies.  Everything was covered.  Maybe a similar system but the ability to change servers after the fact before launch would be good?

The problem is this will require time for the devs to program to add it in removing time from either fixing bugs in the game or adding new features.

If VR do implement a system it sounds like guild leaders will buy a guild package which contains a name reservation which would be pretty simple to implement.

I'm just not sold on the idea at all. It seems like using sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Just let guilds pick their own server and reserve their name. Simple.

It'll be pretty easy to see if someone stole a guilds name especially as some have been established for over a year and if the worst comes to the worst the GMs can fix any arguments at release.

• 1228 posts
    September 25, 2017 7:54 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I hope VR considers that these pledges be account based per person. Having one person collect money from people then they buy the pledge seems like alot of risk and can lead to fraud which that leads to bad publicity for the game.

If the pledges were account based then a person could buy a pledge level that had "status points" for example like old EQ2 guilds used to level up.

For for example Guild Pledge Tier 1 requires 10k status points to get the perks. Players could buy a pledge level worth 1k status. So the guild would need 10 people to get Tier 1. This ties the pledge to the person who bought it and if they choose to switch guilds later their money purchase goes with the account vs giving some random person over the internet $20 bucks.

I would also have the option for one person to buy enough status to get to a certian pledge level if they want to go at it alone or if they are planning on a boxer guild.

I just dont liek the idea of sending money in the hopes other people are honest and if you support a guild today and it don't work out, I think it would be best if it was account based.

This post was edited by Aich at September 25, 2017 7:59 AM PDT
    • 413 posts
    September 25, 2017 8:37 PM PDT

Im sure VR has the ability to collect money for a guild pledge so that people don't have to send money to a person.

I pledge money to guild ABC. ABC is now created in the database and in the list of guilds.  Other people can now pledge to that guild and as soon as enough money is pledged, guild will get benefits. (credit card will not get charged until pledge becomes active , sound like kickstarter much?)

Personally, with respect to naming guilds, I think the way EQ did it was a pretty good way.

#1 you can only create one guild per account.

#2 you need 5 people in the group with you to create a guild  (I think original EQ was 3 in a group?)

It should be stricter. 

How about this:

Anyone can create a guild but you can't name it yet.  You are assigned a guildname "Guild10001".  You can do all the things a guild leader does, invite people and assign roles and even request a name.

You have to have at least the same 10 or 20 people in the guild for 30 days in order to get official status and your temporary name will be changed to the permanent one of your choosing.  If you cannot keep the same 10 or 20 people in the guild for 30 days, your application is voided and you would have to start again. (this time your name may no longer be available)

This prevents one person from reserving many different guild names on different accounts.

• 1418 posts
    September 25, 2017 11:51 PM PDT

I just want to +1 being able to reserve guild names.  Shadowfire's been around enough that people know us by that name, even if we haven't always used it in every game.  It would nice to be able to insure that we get it in PRF, and as the leader I'd be willing to pay for that privilege (as long as I don't have to sell stock or something to cover the amount :) )

• 224 posts
    September 27, 2017 6:33 AM PDT

Durp said:

Im sure VR has the ability to collect money for a guild pledge so that people don't have to send money to a person.

I pledge money to guild ABC. ABC is now created in the database and in the list of guilds.  Other people can now pledge to that guild and as soon as enough money is pledged, guild will get benefits. (credit card will not get charged until pledge becomes active , sound like kickstarter much?)

Personally, with respect to naming guilds, I think the way EQ did it was a pretty good way.

#1 you can only create one guild per account.

#2 you need 5 people in the group with you to create a guild  (I think original EQ was 3 in a group?)

It should be stricter. 

How about this:

Anyone can create a guild but you can't name it yet.  You are assigned a guildname "Guild10001".  You can do all the things a guild leader does, invite people and assign roles and even request a name.

You have to have at least the same 10 or 20 people in the guild for 30 days in order to get official status and your temporary name will be changed to the permanent one of your choosing.  If you cannot keep the same 10 or 20 people in the guild for 30 days, your application is voided and you would have to start again. (this time your name may no longer be available)

This prevents one person from reserving many different guild names on different accounts.

This would actually be pretty difficult to handle without some custom work as opposed to my system that might already be in place with the new forum software.

My issue is still that we would be leveraging money to guild names.  Not every guild will have the cash to throw down on a name, but some guilds have been around for ages.  So should we deny them the right to reserve the name first?  Absolutely not.  Pledging for guild names is not the proper way to take things.

• 509 posts
    October 14, 2017 1:44 PM PDT

We already have a post from Kilsin requesting that guilds provide contact information via a PM.

Could this not serve as a simple guild name reservation system for those of us who have been supporting development these past few years and have early access?

Otherwise, what's the point of posting information about your guild at this point if you can't even be sure that the guild is going to be formed under that name?

• 1173 posts
    October 14, 2017 5:36 PM PDT

A guild is much more than just a name.  As others have put it, on the EQ progression servers it was impossible to have the same name as a Live guild, or an older guild from another progression server.  We had to resort to coming up with a name on the fly once we discovered we couldnt choose the name we wanted.

As much as i know people deeply deeply love their guild names.  Its not actually going to change the experience!

That being said, a pledge level to reserve guild names would be fabulous!

• 1541 posts
    October 14, 2017 5:44 PM PDT

Porygon said:

A guild is much more than just a name.  As others have put it, on the EQ progression servers it was impossible to have the same name as a Live guild, or an older guild from another progression server.  We had to resort to coming up with a name on the fly once we discovered we couldnt choose the name we wanted.

As much as i know people deeply deeply love their guild names.  Its not actually going to change the experience!

True. But my guild has had the same name in many many MMOs dating all the way back to 2002. I would be pretty upset if I couldn't get the guild name. I mean we would cope but it would be a bit painful.

• 1173 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:39 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Porygon said:

True. But my guild has had the same name in many many MMOs dating all the way back to 2002. I would be pretty upset if I couldn't get the guild name. I mean we would cope but it would be a bit painful.

Thats what im saying...its not the end of the world, but its not preferable.

With that being said, the community on the EQ progesssion servers was extremely toxic.  I dont see people who are trying to play this game just up and stealing guild names.  You know??