Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Hurricane Irma

• 189 posts
    September 7, 2017 9:49 AM PDT

I think people in the path of Hurricane Irma need to see this month's newsletter a week in advance, since there's a possibility we might not get to see it at all! ;)

On the topic though, wish everyone to safely make it through this disaster. My family and I are waiting to see which side of Florida it hits before we pack up and spend hundreds of dollars on hotel rooms for a few nights. And then there's Hurricane Jose. Hopefully he decides to take a different route than Irma, because I don't know if I can survive that long without internet.

Best wishes, be safe.

Fellow Pantheonians, wish us luck!

• 248 posts
    September 7, 2017 11:39 AM PDT

Heard on the news that the hurricane is so big that it will affect both coasts.
    Best of luck to all affected. Stay safe!

-sorte.

• 422 posts
    September 7, 2017 12:18 PM PDT

We just went through Harvey here. Best of luck to you guys! Hope everyone comes through ok!

As Sorte said, the storm is so big it's most likely going to engulf the entire state. I'd be headed north out of state myself. If Irma is anything like Harvey you might underestimate the amount of rainfall. I've been through all the major storms in Houston for the past 35 years and i've never seen rain like that and we didn't even get the full force of the storm. It was just mind blowing, the amount of rain. Don't get stuck somewhere and be safe!

• 633 posts
    September 7, 2017 12:40 PM PDT

I'm in Tampa, and I'm just waiting to see if it goes up Florida or decides to skirt into the Gulf of Mexico, I'll take a Cat 3 or lower in my house, but not a Cat 4 or 5.  As long as it doesn't go into the Gulf I'm not too terribly worried.  Miami on the other hand is right in the path regardless, and I hope everyone got out who can.

• 220 posts
    September 7, 2017 1:54 PM PDT

There is very little chance that Irma will be less than Cat 4 when it makes landfall in the US.  Get your stuff ready and get going so you don't all get trapped on the highway and killed in your cars.  Don't wait.  It's not worth it.  Be safe and get away from anywhere that storm is predicted to hit.  The atmosphere is a fluid.   And fluid dynamics is something modern science and state of the art simulators are extremely good at predicting.  Every 5 years for the last 20, the ability of scientists to simulate the path and category of these storms has increased by a factor of 10.  There is very little reason to doubt their predictions in 2017.  The probabilty of them being completely wrong is unthinkable.  So just assume they are right, and go.  Before the highway gets full, and you get trapped in your car, during a cat 4 or better storm.

There is no benefit to staying.  Not with a storm like this.  180MPH winds can tear your skin.  Just go.

• 2138 posts
    September 7, 2017 2:04 PM PDT

We'll know by this weekend if we have to leave or not. State of emergency declared on FLA overall but no evacuation notice given up here in Jax. 95 North is already slow and thick. Plan is to shelter in place for now, have reccomended stocks. Return Bag (Bug-out bag) ready with important papers, etc., have extra gas, Bathtub full of water. BAU at work tomorrow, however told to work from home on Mon pending more information.  

• 189 posts
    September 7, 2017 4:58 PM PDT

http://imgur.com/a/O06SJ

We getting ready! Looks like it turned towards the East side of Florida which will go right over us. It just keeps at the same pace really. It kinda grows, then dies off once it hits a bit of land, and grows back to the same size. They say they outer wall of winds is so strong that it's keeping the inside eye wall safe. Doesn't look like it will die down to a cat 3 or 2. Was hoping for that though.

GL to my fellow Floridians! Stay safe <3

This post was edited by fancy at September 7, 2017 4:58 PM PDT
    • 56 posts
    September 7, 2017 7:21 PM PDT

Hoping and praying for everyone effected by Hurricane Irma. 

• 67 posts
    September 8, 2017 2:48 AM PDT

Same here gang .. I'm here in North Florida. Will be riding this out. I am not in flood zone and  I have hurricane shutters and the house gets locked up nice and tight. We are all supplied up. My wife and I are life long Floridains. She went thru Andrew down in Maimi her senior year in HS. We both have been thru many storms. I hope everyone stays safe. If you try and drive to escape becarful and good luck.  See everyone when the  power comes back on.  

• 3016 posts
    September 8, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

Hoping and praying that everyone manages to get out safe and sound...they were saying today is the last day to make your escape,   do it now don't hang around,  this is a monster storm...at one point they said on CNN that Irma was larger than the state.     And that is followed by Jose,  and one other storm.     Been watching the path on the moving weather maps...this is a hurricane train.

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at September 8, 2017 7:44 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    September 8, 2017 3:57 PM PDT

Spirits are good up north. 95 is still creeping, but at least its creeping. Forecast predicts storm to hit the national forest. Keys and miami will be hit hard, but storm will lose steam there, and possibly become a Cat 3 by the time it gets past the Forest.

• 220 posts
    September 8, 2017 6:19 PM PDT

I hope everyone who is able gets well out of the way.  This storm is going to hit the shore as a cat 4 and run up the west side of Florida according to all the new models.  That is the worst path it could have taken.  The eye of the storm could still take southern Florida square on and just level everything in its path.  Like a 50 mile wide Tornado.  I hope there is no one anywhere near that south west coast line.

• 103 posts
    September 8, 2017 7:19 PM PDT

Theres been a lot of chaos lately, with the stuff with the US and North Korea, all the hurricanes going off, the fire in Oregon, I heard something about a volcano in Peru, etc. :/

• 220 posts
    September 8, 2017 10:35 PM PDT

shallow 8.1 quake in mexico too, and another hurrican about to hit them.

the Oregon fire is just another fire too.  The one in Canada that blanketed western washington for a week before the eclipse, and another foothills fire in western washington itself, came before the one in Oregon started.  And there is still smoke everywhere now.  The sun is blood red, and the full moon looks like a bad horror movie.

I sleep with a carbon filter running.  And the animals... the cows are all coughing.  And birds are all blowing snot out of their beak holes.  This is crazy.

• 470 posts
    September 9, 2017 2:45 AM PDT

I'm on the east coast and might be in for a light grazing from Irma. But I do have friends down in Florida, Ga, and SC. So to those folks and any of my other fellow Pantheonites, stay safe this weekend. Hope everyone comes through this thing ok. Take care all.

• 1 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:11 PM PDT

Erma is bad for the entire State of Florida.  I was really nervous two days ago- now I feel for those on the west coast.  Hang in there all!!! Commenting from New Smyrna Beach, FL.

• 220 posts
    September 9, 2017 6:20 PM PDT

Don't take any chances.  Be safe.

• 2138 posts
    September 11, 2017 3:01 PM PDT
    Whoah. During Matthew we were on the "soft" side of the hurricane. Irma, we were on the "dirty" side. Lessons learned, even as a Cat 1 when it hit, that northeastern wall AFTER the eye dissapated caused many tornados, even up here. It's true, if you hear what sounds like a train coming fast, that's a tornado and get inside. power still out. Rationing generator as gas no gas available but have some stored. Thankfully it's going to get down to 60s tonight so, windows open. (Good beer drinking weather I heard someone say :)) Georgeous day, thankfully no major damage. Hotspot won't work :( . Cash only.
    • 189 posts
    September 12, 2017 9:17 AM PDT

So we are back! Got back home last night. Made pretty decent time considering we had to drive around looking for gas. That was a real panic though. Found a long line for gas with 2 gallons left in the tank. Most places were out of gas and power. My parents made it home before us... Everything looked fine until we got to our main entryway door. We have a big double door entryway. Both are normally always locked. And we came home to find them both open but latched together by our latch we had. Then the back gate was open and some parts of our fence were like undone. It's one of those lego type white fences. So they tried in the back too, but all those had those metal panels on them.

So, our house is safe, we have power, everything is great, still pissed someone tried to loot our house. We got super lucky though, considering other peoples houses were totally looted and there was no one there to stop those people.

I hope everyone else got as lucky as us. Because this storm cost way too much to deal with.

• 248 posts
    September 12, 2017 11:04 AM PDT

Glad to hear people checking in saying they are ok :)

-sorte.

• 220 posts
    September 12, 2017 4:26 PM PDT

You are better off not being around to try and protect your stuff from looters.  It sucks that people are willing to risk their own lives in a hurricane just to steal stuff.  But trying to stop people who are already willing to risk their lives, just puts your own life in danger.  Imagine where you have to be in your life to think "oh there is a giant deadly storm coming, let's go outside and steal stuff".  Better to just let them steal and file an insurance claim.

• 189 posts
    September 13, 2017 6:56 AM PDT

Well, my sister has this lady she does side work for sometimes. Lovely lady. But her husband has like a bajillion guns and they are millionaires. Well they stayed and boarded up the house and everything. As soon as the storm lifted - since people were gone - people went out looting. They were well prepared to shoot someone on site the moment they tried to enter their home.

This happened to us after the storm was over though. We drove through bits of it (tons of rain, and scary wind, tornado warnings) but we made it out okay and just wanted to get straight home. And that's what we found. Looks like anyone looting though faces more severe consequences for doing it during this kind of thing though. Especially if they have priors... Good luck getting out of prison any time soon. They've arrested like 40 people from what I read yesterday.

• 56 posts
    November 21, 2017 2:34 PM PST

Greetings Fancy,

I am in Florida right now assisting those who were impacted by Hurricane Irma and Maria.  At some point I’m off to Puerto Rico. Until then though I’m distributing supplies in Florida. Thought of your post since I am here.