Forums » The Humans

Choice of class?

• 527 posts
    August 29, 2017 6:18 AM PDT

Given that only we humans have the luxury of being any class - toward which are you leaning? And why human instead of one of the other eight races?

For myself, all races capable of song have merit. The joy and childlike wonder of Halflings, elegance of Elves, or spirituality of Archai are all attractive archetypes for a minstrel. The maritime mysteries of the Myr and dramatic dourness of the Dwarves both offer a new spin on the classic bard.

Ordinary humans, however, will no less need songs of epic feats and brave sacrifices spread across the land. More importantly human pubs (where tales are told and stories shared in melody and verse) tend to serve libations from all cultures - how wonderful! Plus the chance of a command performance at The Lady King's court, flirting with the upper crust, is entoxicating. Add our delicious political intrigue & fancy feathered hats and there simply isn't another choice. What say you?

This post was edited by Kumu at August 29, 2017 6:35 AM PDT
    • 3418 posts
    August 29, 2017 2:30 PM PDT

I like to have one alt that resembles me as a player in real life. That will therefore be a Human Monk.

• 214 posts
    August 29, 2017 2:56 PM PDT

It is a good question Kumu that I sure cannot explain. It has been the standard for decades human always were the more balanced class stats wise that had usualy all of the classes option. It came at a cost back in the days, in totals Human had less points less advantages. Nowaday they are generaly in line with others. 

Less animation to code for some races if they cant be certain class. In some other game the lore specify that certain knowledge are not know to certain races. Sometimes starting stats dictate that to the lack : say of agility you cannot be a ranger. 

In general starting races have an impact in vanila sets , then thru expenssion with the stat inflation it get filtered out.

We have yet to see what Pantheon will look like on lauch concerning that aspect.

To an extent it is also some way to spread the player base around the overworld, to also get similar minded peoples (at least concerning their in game look) together.

The question is Legit and there is alot of reasons tied to why it is the standard nowaday. 

• 25 posts
    September 1, 2017 4:59 AM PDT

I will definitely be making a human summoner, like Bazgrim, I also want to have myself represented digitally. My main in eq2 for many years was / is a Human Conjuror named Jaysn McBride. I like to think of my human character as me actually transported into this fantastic world. For Pantheon that actually fits in nicely with the other lore thats been released what with all the combined peoples from so many different planets and cultures.

• 99 posts
    December 20, 2017 5:35 AM PST

Wanted to give the oft-ignored race another little bump!

Although I nearly always start with a human, i'll be going halfling for my first character.  That being said, my 2nd will be a human warrior.  To me human warriors have always looked the part; even with ogres, giants or dwarves that are playable in games.  I don't know, they just seem, right.

So, Humans in forums show activity again.  Huzzah!

• 251 posts
    December 28, 2017 1:31 PM PST

As tempting as playing as another (as) race is, I've been thinking lately my first character may be a Human DIRE LORD. I really like the standard model for a Dark Knight. Ogre DLs don't have the grace I prefer in a dark knight class, and I don't want my DL to have a fish tail. My EQ favorite was Erudite SK. So the classic, awesome, Human Dark Knight will likely be my first character. I sincerely hope they're given enough dps to hold their own fairly well. That would only make sense with a dark knight archetype... /rants into a wormhole

Then second character will be a Dark Myr Wizard, and then a Skar Necromancer. And perhaps an Elven Summoner. And perhaps an Ogre Druid later. Aaaaaand... Halfling Bard! Elven Enchanter! Archai Paladin if that's ever possible?

• 184 posts
    December 28, 2017 6:24 PM PST

I'll be playing Paladin as Paladin's only get Humans or Dwarves as a choice. I refuse to be that small and that hairy. :P

• 527 posts
    December 28, 2017 9:29 PM PST

Look what you ignited Nightsong...with the greatest choice in class, humans simply are not boring!

For Amenthiel! For Thronefast! 

• 99 posts
    December 29, 2017 10:43 AM PST

Kumu said:

Look what you ignited Nightsong...with the greatest choice in class, humans simply are not boring!

For Amenthiel! For Thronefast! 

Nah, I just picked up the torch where you left it, Kumu!

My altaholic nature will likely see me with many diffrent races/classes, but I always end up with a majority of my character choice screen characters being humans.  I tend to pick versatility over Min/Max.  =P

• 92 posts
    January 6, 2018 12:20 PM PST

I will make my human a cleric. Nothing looks better than a human in cloth woven plate armor.

• 99 posts
    February 23, 2018 12:31 PM PST

Okay, so I have some thoughts (Scarry, I know.....):  Looking at the Racial/Class Matrix, there are three Classes that Humans share with only 1 or 2 other races.  Those being:  Paladin (Dwarves), Cleric (Dark Myr & Dwarves) and Ranger (Elf & Halfling).  As some have already said, they only reason they may play a human is because of class selection.  And per another thread in this section, we gamers have a tendency to not make humans our first choice as they may seem "boring".  So I am wondering, does this mean Dark Myr and Dwarven hospitals will corner the market?  Will Thronefast suffer woe from not having large contingents of spiritual warriors?  Will there be armies of Elven and Halfling rangers marching up and down the wilds of the world?

Eh, it's all yet to be seen.  =)  After all, we still do not know anything about racial features in mechanics for the game.  And with VR already starting to distance themselves from some of the old fantasy tropes, humans may be just as "stat attractive" as other races.

Again; we'll likely know more about racial traits closer to launch so this is all just me rambling a bit to bump humans.  Because, WE ARE NOT BORING!!!!

=)

• 1682 posts
    February 23, 2018 5:01 PM PST

Nightsong said:

...And per another thread in this section, we gamers have a tendency to not make humans our first choice as they may seem "boring".  So I am wondering, does this mean Dark Myr and Dwarven hospitals will corner the market?  Will Thronefast suffer woe from not having large contingents of spiritual warriors?  Will there be armies of Elven and Halfling rangers marching up and down the wilds of the world?

Eh, it's all yet to be seen.  =)  After all, we still do not know anything about racial features in mechanics for the game.  And with VR already starting to distance themselves from some of the old fantasy tropes, humans may be just as "stat attractive" as other races.

Again; we'll likely know more about racial traits closer to launch so this is all just me rambling a bit to bump humans.  Because, WE ARE NOT BORING!!!!

Actually, Humans are almost if not always the MOST played race in any MMO with other options. WoW the most common race of the Alliance is Human and Horde is the closest thing to human they have: Blood Elf. FFXIV Human/Hyur is by far the most played as well. 

• 122 posts
    March 6, 2018 8:08 AM PST

Seems like there will be a good number of rp players also, which tend to be human because it's more relatable. I always have at least one human character, which will be a monk or summoner, and usually play some sort of rp. I always like the armor on humans because it just seems so clean cut compared to other classes. Anyways, we will see.

• 132 posts
    March 30, 2018 8:19 PM PDT

I'll likely have a paladin alt.

I've also speculated on future population of races.  Right now there are only 3 races that can have both tank and cleric (more than likely the best healer + rez) and I would be willing to bet money that the Dwarf won't be as popular as either the Dark Myr or Human... giving DM and Human areas the higher populations (read: higher chance of getting a group).  This is of course not taking into consideration the degree of difficulty or ease it will be for races to intermingle at the early stages of actual live (since it will likely be made easy for us to group regardless of race during the testing phases). 

I'm predicting Humans being the #1 played race followed by Dark Myr for the reasons above. 

Low populated races will likely get sick of LFG for hours unless they are really die-hard about their race/class choice or are in a very supportive guild.   
    (I'm assuming Skyhold is relatively close to Thronefast since gnomes have neither tanks nor healers in this group centric game).

• 65 posts
    June 1, 2018 10:10 PM PDT

I always like to have a Human rogue as one of my characters. Somehow no other race can quite capture that back-alley charm that has come to define the class in my mind.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at June 1, 2018 10:11 PM PDT
    • 596 posts
    June 2, 2018 3:27 AM PDT

All i'm not comfortable with, are human shamans. But that's my vision of "EQ esque classes", where for most, races had only one divine inclinaison. Wood elves had druids, barbarians had shamans, high elves had clerics, etc... (I know, I know, humans had cleric and druid, however human had different distinct civilizations in EQ and that doesn't seem to be the case in pantheon).

I won't die out of it, but I really can't see the design overall.