Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What would you choose?

• 9115 posts
    August 21, 2017 4:00 AM PDT

What is the most fun you have ever had in an MMORPG? #PRF #CommunityMatters

• 513 posts
    August 21, 2017 4:13 AM PDT

Well, this one time in EQ1 I logged in as a Lizardman Shaman...

• 542 posts
    August 21, 2017 4:33 AM PDT

Must have been a kingdom quest where the capital was invaded by oozes ,in a later chapter a portal opened up to the land of ooze ,which was some kind of open raid to destroy the Ooze king

The other time was when a whole faction of guilds collaborated and helped out with missions,very social event.In newer games I don't like to be part of a guild because I think its a commitment too large if you don't know the people right.Takes away a lot of opportunity to mingle if you seclude yourself in such 1-only guild games.I always think back about the great fun I had with the faction my guild was part of in guildwars

This post was edited by Fluffy at August 21, 2017 4:34 AM PDT
    • 409 posts
    August 21, 2017 5:11 AM PDT

*deleted*

This post was edited by Nimryl at August 23, 2017 5:31 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:05 AM PDT

Going way back, still one of my most fond memories was rooting out all the requirements for the Armor of Ro for Paladins in Vanilla EQ. Traveling to so many different places, dealing with so many different group encounters in a multitude of environments against myriad creatures, learning smithing to make it possible...  it felt like a holy quest (and was) and I loved the entire process. And I don't know how many people I helped with their quests in exchange too. It was a months-long saga, and it gave me a real desire to log in every day hoping oppurtunity would present itself to move things forward. Short of the epic quests I havent felt anything like it in any game since. 

I'm under no illusions that because it was the first of any gameplay like that I'd ever experienced that the likelyhood of recapturing the same emotions would be difficult if not impossible. But I really miss those kinds of long, engaging, difficult, and very broad scope of adventure questlines.  

• 626 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:32 AM PDT

Its tough, but I believe for me I have to look back to EQ and farming Crystal Caverns. For most this would seem terrible, but for me I spent weeks farming Gem Collectors for gems to sell. It was like my own little many game of "let's see what drops today!". 

• 3852 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:35 AM PDT

Dark Ages of Camelot. Exploring and questing in the gigantic multi-faction dungeon Darkness Falls.

• 15 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:56 AM PDT

LOTRO: The Rift of Nurz Gashu. The best raid in any MMO ever. Generally took 3 or 4 days. Fortunately, there were raid locks, so you could take up where you left off. The first time we killed the Balrog, people were actually in tears. 

• 178 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:57 AM PDT

PVE wise: leveling, dungeoneering and raiding with friends, specific example: karazan raid in WOW, one of the best raids ever made.
    in PVE, community matters, soloing your way to max level and then push dungeon finder is not fun.

PVP wise: in knight online you had two factions that had a safe zones that were most of the time inaccessible to the opposing faction. twice a week (i think..) there was a PVP event "lunar wars" which was faction vs faction event with win condition of conquerinng some sort of an objective.

when one of the teams won the "lunar war" they could invade for one hour to the opposite faction safe zones ganking noobs, killing NPCs etc.

no matter how you felt regarding PVP as a defender you fell back to the capital city defending the king (when you killed an invader he respawned in their zone and had to run half of the world again, if you died you just walk out of the graveyard behind the castle so even if few noobs managed to take out enemy pro-pvper they made a difference because he was probably taken out of the invasion for a long time.

if you were an attacker you run through the defeated enemy villages killing noobs razing cities and trying to reach their king without dying...  was lots of fun.... until the cheaters (dupers/botters/instakills/etc) multiplied and smothered the game. 

• 422 posts
    August 21, 2017 10:03 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Dark Ages of Camelot. Exploring and questing in the gigantic multi-faction dungeon Darkness Falls.

Exactly this. Watching mobs and for PCs of the other factions. Stalking pcs of the other factions. Playing a Nightblade in there was soooooo much fun.

It was a massive place. Loved it a lot.

• 50 posts
    August 21, 2017 10:11 AM PDT

Pretty much just the leveling experience to max level in both FFXI and WoW. They were my first MMOs and just blew my mind, I enjoyed ever part of the journey to max level in both games. 

• 668 posts
    August 21, 2017 10:14 AM PDT
    Was in EQ on a Saturday around noon... For some strange reason, a group of us game friends were able to hang out from noon until midnight, and we all had a unique item(s) we were after.

The journey in between was full of laughs, skills, hardships, memories and we each were able to get our items and even more. I remember this day as a perfect gaming day that was hard to acheive ever since.

The reason this sticks out is because it was one of those perfect groups without delays or interruptions. We were able to go all day, having meaningful travels together and fun times. Also, we each did our own research and leaned on each other for information so the group was solid. The group make up was not perfect but we skillfully made it work.

Still friends with some of them today!
    • 1778 posts
    August 21, 2017 10:24 AM PDT
    Youve put me in a tight spot yet again Dream Crusher!

Ok for PvP I have to agree with Dorotea and Kellindel. As the only large scale/open world type PvP that is worth a damn is PvEvP. Land hording and seiging are boring to me.

For large scale PvE endgame activities I still say Sky and Sea from FFXI.

And for regular group size PvE. I still have awesome memories of FFXIs CoP missions and the months it took my static to beat pre-nerf.

As for solo......... LOL. Just kidding. Dont get out your pitchforks.
    • 125 posts
    August 21, 2017 11:31 AM PDT

CRs in fear.

Kiting my last mob for my epic for several hours at 3am waiting for a few guildies to get a raid force together.

This post was edited by Aatu at August 21, 2017 11:33 AM PDT
    • 220 posts
    August 21, 2017 11:32 AM PDT

#1 Halloween Events, Fennin Ro.  Nuff said.  No one has ever even touched those OG events.  They blew everyone away.

#2 Logging in to Live Servers, gearing up my Necro with cheatmode gear, buying the AAs subscription, and soloing every Classic EQ raid zone, and getting every style-point clicker you could possibly get.

#3 Turning a housing plot on EQ live servers into a giant Gnome chopping machine, Gnome livestock pens, and a quaint little bakery out front.  Selling Pies.  Because that's how I do.

#ofGnomeNotByGnomes #onePieOneTruth

This post was edited by ZennExile at August 21, 2017 11:33 AM PDT
    • 260 posts
    August 21, 2017 11:50 AM PDT

Saicred said:

Its tough, but I believe for me I have to look back to EQ and farming Crystal Caverns. For most this would seem terrible, but for me I spent weeks farming Gem Collectors for gems to sell. It was like my own little many game of "let's see what drops today!". 

I remember doing that for months... Trying to get enough plat to get some new armor. Wife and I did it on a daily basis sharing the loot.

• 260 posts
    August 21, 2017 11:55 AM PDT

For me it is EQ when in Oasis with a group fighting Lockjaw. I was a Shadow Knight and wat the time we didn't know you needed Magic Weapons to do any damage to it.

Was going down very slowly. I think only 1 person had a magic sword. Groupies were dropping, then it came down to about 30 HP's and I used my Harm Touch.

Lockjaw resisted and killed me, but it was fun. Next job was to find a magic weapon.

• 769 posts
    August 21, 2017 12:18 PM PDT

Corpse runs. All of them. I haven't felt that level of immersion and excitement in a game since, and being the hero after the wipe. Knowing what mob you can sneak past, and what  mobs you have to give a wide berth. Coprse runs set rogues apart, even from each other.

Running around Oasis shouting on my warrior:

/Auction WTB Crusty Pants!

And waiting for the chorus of:

/ooc Ewwww....

/ooc Gross!

/ooc CHILDREN PLAY THIS GAME, SIR!

• 3 posts
    August 21, 2017 1:39 PM PDT

I would have to say, Everquest 1.  Where we raided the Plane of Time and the guild made me Leroy Jenkin's the boss where I then receieved my Time's Antithesis.  Was an awesome Time, no pun intended =)

This post was edited by Sarin at August 21, 2017 1:42 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    August 21, 2017 1:49 PM PDT

So there are 2 things, 1 is more fun but the other was both fun and satisfying.

The most satisfying / fun time i ever had was getting the Sarnak Queen game first kill in EQ with my guild durning the first expansion.  We spent alot of time with some pretty funny results in the hallway right above her chamber and people running around screaming sometimes while she was dropping AOE fire constantly, it was pretty hilarious but when we downed her it was the most satisfaction i've probably ever got for the effort that we put into it.

Second that was just plain fun was watching our best Bard during the Scars of Velious expansion training almost every wyrm mob in the entire zone to the entrance for Veeshans.  Lol good times, sadly i lost that screenshot =(

• 50 posts
    August 21, 2017 1:54 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

#1 Halloween Events, Fennin Ro.  Nuff said.  No one has ever even touched those OG events.  They blew everyone away.

#2 Logging in to Live Servers, gearing up my Necro with cheatmode gear, buying the AAs subscription, and soloing every Classic EQ raid zone, and getting every style-point clicker you could possibly get.

#3 Turning a housing plot on EQ live servers into a giant Gnome chopping machine, Gnome livestock pens, and a quaint little bakery out front.  Selling Pies.  Because that's how I do.

#ofGnomeNotByGnomes #onePieOneTruth

I'm starting to think it would be a shame if there isn't a fun item called ZennExiles world famous pie in the game at this point. Eating this item could cause 5 seconds of confusion.

This post was edited by Zazzaro at August 21, 2017 1:57 PM PDT
    • 363 posts
    August 21, 2017 2:25 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

As much as I love classic Everquest (my first and favorite MMORPG), I'd have to say that the most fun I have ever had in a MMOPRG was in Asheron's Call 1. Here's why...

The game was so wide open to explore whatever way you wanted. No hand holding...no quest icons...and the world was immense! If you saw a far off mountian top, 99% chance you could, somehow, scale its peaks. You could build your character the way you wanted to, even if it wasn't 100% the best, it was still your choice. I just remember running around, discovering dungeonsd, towns, cities, and the whole time thinking "This world is amazing." Perhaps the best thing about the game was the allegiance system. I pledged loyalty to a character named Guru and we both benfitied from my adventures. I guess, in closing, AC1 was just everything I had hoped for in an online world. Too bad it drove folks away due to server instability issues. But, yeah, AC1 created quite a few memorable and unforgettable moments for me.

• 9115 posts
    August 21, 2017 5:27 PM PDT

Haha, some good stories there, nice replies folks! :)

• 16 posts
    August 21, 2017 8:31 PM PDT

I started playing EQ in Beta 1.5.  Actually received a disc in a white envelope.  I had been playing a wood elf ranger about 3 or 4 week.  One day I got my first in game communication.  It was a "tell" asking me if I was ready.  I did not even know how to respond.  Finally the person sent me a tell telling me to /r.  I answered the person saying ready for what?  They told me that my home area was completed and he would summon me to it.  I said OK.  Next thing I saw was "you have been summoned by the gods"!  

What followed I will never forget.  Everybody who was a wood elf...not just me was summoned to our new home.  For the next day it rained Wood Elfs.  I think I lost 3 or 4 levels from dying.  The combination of dial up lag and no safeguards caused wood elfs to fall to their deaths almost at every turn.  It was incredibly funny.  Eventually Brad put in safeguards to help us from falling.

What was amazing about this experience was that my first contact with anybody in the game was with a god....nobody else can claim that in any game.

This post was edited by CountessCrow at August 21, 2017 8:32 PM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    August 22, 2017 8:34 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Prolly training people