Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Naming Policies & Avatar

• 17 posts
    August 20, 2017 1:32 PM PDT

This is a rather important issue to me, as I put miticulous effort into designign my avatars and selecting a name...In games that have poor name support I always find myself reverting to which seems really...cheap, why I have always been fond of games that has had much more complex or liberal names, LIke a First and Last name option, 'family' options or account based ID numbers that allow players to have the name they desire.

--If anyone still has a physical phone book they can look up and see how many pages of 'John Smith' they see, yet with MMORPG's names forced to be 'unique' just saps the emersion factor excessively.

On the topic of avatars, while I enjoy customization and will spend an hour or more on a single character, there are games that have excessive detailing options, while others have poor or limited choice selection.  One of my biggest peeves is whewn a game appears to have tons of customization yet the sliders and choices arent all that differnt as well as hair colors and skin tones being way off.

--While I want a body that I can be pleased with, body sclupting and customization say on the scale of BDO is a bit excessive and not expected here, however being able to change my avatars general stature and build within acceptable tolerances for the race is a must.  Along those same lines, if I want Lime Green, Electrick Pink, Dark Red, or Sky Blue Hair, I want those options available from the start, I never understood the defence of keeping hair color 'lore firendly' in a MMORPG, if someone wants to have a unique hair color that those of their kind wouldnt normally have, why cant they?  If anything it could be used in dynamic NPC conversation whcih has been mentioned...like if you come across NPC's of your race that are notably more conservative they can take a jab at your choice of hair color or if you meet a more outgoing or outcast NPC they can compliment you on doing your own thing.

My avatars generally reflect 'what I want to be' rather than 'what I am' as in a fantasy setting Why settle with the same restrictions socirty imposes every day?

• 201 posts
    August 20, 2017 2:40 PM PDT

There has been a few previous polls and threads about the naming convention.  As of right now it looks similar(based on the streams) to EQ's naming style.  However Brad has mentioned he enjoyed Vanguards First+Last unique naming convention.  Check out this thread for a more detailed talk about names.

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1923/identical-first-names

• 19 posts
    August 20, 2017 4:58 PM PDT

I would deffinately be in favor of a first and last name naming scheme it allows for much more freedom. IE Jason McBride instead of having to use Jaysn or Jasun etc.

• 1404 posts
    August 20, 2017 7:07 PM PDT

Gregarious said:

I would deffinately be in favor of a first and last name naming scheme it allows for much more freedom. IE Jason McBride instead of having to use Jaysn or Jasun etc.

The problem with naming like this is now how does another player

/tell Jason

/Invite Jason

The exclusive naming problem isn't a programming issue. It's a database ID problem, how for other players to distinguish player-A from player-B

• 338 posts
    August 21, 2017 3:58 AM PDT

If everyone is running around with lime green or electric pink hair the game just starts to feel less immersive and more cartoony.

This also applies to vanity gear that's too over the top.

I'd prefer a game where player characters can't end up looking like clowns.

Also typing last names to send tells would be really annoying. So imo first names should be unique.

In addition, keep mounts realistic... let's not see players riding Battlecats, Rhinos, and Giant Spiders please.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

• 201 posts
    August 21, 2017 6:12 AM PDT

Granted I like the EQ style better, there are ways around the Database limitations for searching via /tell etc.  It's not as big of an issue as you imagine.

• 1468 posts
    August 21, 2017 6:42 AM PDT

I just press the random button a few times when it comes to customising my avatar until I get bored and call it job done.

As for names I only really have first names that I care about but having a surname would be a nice addition. Not sure about the idea of having non-unique names though. Reputation is often associated with a name. What if you happen to have the same name as someone with an awful reputation? I can imagine that causing a hell of a lot of problems. Best to keep, first names at least, unique.

• 1303 posts
    August 21, 2017 6:58 AM PDT

I like having a last name option, but I do agree that unique first names is logistically a bit more manageable. Reputation and name recognition foremost among the reasons, but simplicity in communication is key as well. 

• 3852 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:41 AM PDT

I liked the wide choice of names available in FFXIV and Neverwinter because the program looked to first and last name or first name and account name. 

I am not sure it is a big problem - if you are near someone you can simply click on them to invite or whisper them (assuming a reasonably good UI) and if it is a friend or guildmate there are menu systems that minimize the amount of typing.

In terms of avatar customization, people spend endless time customizing faces that you never see other than on the character screen. I care about hair - we spend 99% of our time in-game looking at our character's back.

• 1778 posts
    August 21, 2017 11:23 AM PDT
    If FFXIV has the tech to do it. Im pretty sure anyone can do it. This topic has been brought up several times and people still use the tech angle as a reason it cant be done. This simply isnt the case and if SE can figure it out. Im sure any dev can.

That being said, regardless of if it should or can be done. Im pretty sure I remember the devs saying they are leaning toward first come first serve unuque names, but I still hope they do consider shared last names for family, couples, etc.
    • 769 posts
    August 21, 2017 12:14 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

I just press the random button a few times when it comes to customising my avatar until I get bored and call it job done.

As for names I only really have first names that I care about but having a surname would be a nice addition. Not sure about the idea of having non-unique names though. Reputation is often associated with a name. What if you happen to have the same name as someone with an awful reputation? I can imagine that causing a hell of a lot of problems. Best to keep, first names at least, unique.

The reputation factor is enough for me to veto the idea of being able to have multiples of one first name.

This post was edited by Tralyan at August 21, 2017 12:15 PM PDT
    • 248 posts
    August 21, 2017 1:29 PM PDT

Unique first names is high on my wishlist, with surnames optional and not unique :)

-sorte.

• 281 posts
    August 21, 2017 1:57 PM PDT

Prefer being able to use my name without having to fight with some other player for that name.

But I understand the reputation point.  There must be a way to easily get the unique name/id of someone for reporting/blocking/white and blacklists and so on.

• 363 posts
    August 21, 2017 2:28 PM PDT

Gregarious said:

Ah, c'mon! Who doesn't like to see Legolass, Legholas, Laygolass, or even Letgolass above an elvish archer?  :P 

• 220 posts
    August 21, 2017 5:27 PM PDT

I would fix the issues entirely by eliminating the need for unique names in the UI.  It would be like this shortcut I use to make that lattice crust pattern across the top of my Pies.  I just drop a whole crust over the top, and use an exacto knife, with some no stick spray on it, to cut out the lattice pattern.  Works perfect every time and never a drop of filling on the top.  The little drop of filling on the crust can ruin a whole slice.

Except in the UI, I would replace /tell with a little birdy animation that delivers a message and require that all messages using the little birdy message, be connected through introduction.  I would prevent personal communications between any two characters that had never met, so to speak.  Like a little birdy fog-of-war type mechanic.  And I would drastically delay these communications.  Maybe limit them to single birdy communication, or a set cooldown.  And I would offer a flock of birdys as a Guild-Specific cash shop Utility that guild leaders can purchase for their guilds that allows frequent high volume messaging at a premium rate.I would make these birdys super derpy.  Like the flying donkey in Archeage.   Eyes both lookin a different kinda nobody-knows-where, one wing that's too small.  Always carrying a whole Potato for no reason in one talon, with a message holder tied to the other.  It would be the most glorious mechanic in any video game ever made.

#theWayOfPie #iGotTwitterJokes

Then anyone could use any name they like, and the client can assign a UI element labeled "Anything" with the hidden ID.  I would just add the suffix "of {location/region of meeting}" to the list players see and a Note option.  Then some fancy @ or & chat flag for writing messages to satisfy the purists with a drop down chat option.  They would still be limited and forced to ride the Derpy Birdy Xpress though.  This would pretty much end the ability of spammers to mass advertise by making new characters and accounts too.  A new character would not be able to communicate with no list of introductions.  But that is because I would never allow global communication of any kind.  Not even zone.  Players would be limited to a realistic "Shout" distance in order to communicate and would still need to emote an /introduction to each other face-to-face cuz the Derpy Birdys need to get yer scent.

#derpyBirdys

• 769 posts
    August 22, 2017 10:34 AM PDT

ZennExile said:

I would fix the issues entirely by eliminating the need for unique names in the UI.  It would be like this shortcut I use to make that lattice crust pattern across the top of my Pies.  I just drop a whole crust over the top, and use an exacto knife, with some no stick spray on it, to cut out the lattice pattern.  Works perfect every time and never a drop of filling on the top.  The little drop of filling on the crust can ruin a whole slice.

Except in the UI, I would replace /tell with a little birdy animation that delivers a message and require that all messages using the little birdy message, be connected through introduction.  I would prevent personal communications between any two characters that had never met, so to speak.  Like a little birdy fog-of-war type mechanic.  And I would drastically delay these communications.  Maybe limit them to single birdy communication, or a set cooldown.  And I would offer a flock of birdys as a Guild-Specific cash shop Utility that guild leaders can purchase for their guilds that allows frequent high volume messaging at a premium rate.I would make these birdys super derpy.  Like the flying donkey in Archeage.   Eyes both lookin a different kinda nobody-knows-where, one wing that's too small.  Always carrying a whole Potato for no reason in one talon, with a message holder tied to the other.  It would be the most glorious mechanic in any video game ever made.

Then anyone could use any name they like, and the client can assign a UI element labeled "Anything" with the hidden ID.  I would just add the suffix "of {location/region of meeting}" to the list players see and a Note option.  Then some fancy @ or & chat flag for writing messages to satisfy the purists with a drop down chat option.  They would still be limited and forced to ride the Derpy Birdy Xpress though.  This would pretty much end the ability of spammers to mass advertise by making new characters and accounts too.  A new character would not be able to communicate with no list of introductions.  But that is because I would never allow global communication of any kind.  Not even zone.  Players would be limited to a realistic "Shout" distance in order to communicate and would still need to emote an /introduction to each other face-to-face cuz the Derpy Birdys need to get yer scent.

#derpyBirdys

I don't know what guild you plan on joining, but I'm in.

• 1404 posts
    August 23, 2017 9:52 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

#derpyBirdys

This would actually eliminate the need for unique names. And it would be more realistic.

That whole /tell somebody 100's of miles away and they actually heard it was one of those pretty far fetched things I always just ignored, in the back of my mind I thought "well THATS not possable" but just went with it for convenience.

I would play Pantheon eather way, but if the Devs wanted this level of role playing emersion I would embrace it. I'm pretty sure many wouldn't.

Hopefully if the Devs took to something like this for Pantheon they would also Ban Pie!

#pieisfattening 

This post was edited by Zorkon at August 23, 2017 9:53 PM PDT
    • 28 posts
    August 28, 2017 2:49 AM PDT

For a name I generally pick something short, easy to understand.. essentially as quick & easy to type as possible. Worst are names that are long with easy confusable characters such as (L) and (I) in close proximity.. eg. Trillillioqililic etc seriously i'll never initiate conversation... i'll only ever reply... :). So yeah I think it's not just getting a "cool" name or something you like you have to consider the practicalities of it also IMO.

• 28 posts
    August 29, 2017 11:26 AM PDT

ZennExile said:

I would prevent personal communications between any two characters that had never met, so to speak.

So, in order to join a group, I've first had to have met the person.

That sounds like it would suck. 

Realistically, I won't know that many people playing. I'd like to be able to find a group. If I'm required to somehow have been in the same room with someone, clicked on them to have my UI "remember" their hidden ID, before I can ever get a group invite, then I'll end up never getting a group, getting frustrated, and quitting.

--Gray

• 644 posts
    August 29, 2017 11:42 AM PDT

EndGamerZ said:...I put miticulous effort 

Can't write about being meticulous and misspell meticulous

(JK and BTW I agree with you)

• 220 posts
    August 29, 2017 1:00 PM PDT

gray808 said:

ZennExile said:

I would prevent personal communications between any two characters that had never met, so to speak.

So, in order to join a group, I've first had to have met the person.

That sounds like it would suck. 

Realistically, I won't know that many people playing. I'd like to be able to find a group. If I'm required to somehow have been in the same room with someone, clicked on them to have my UI "remember" their hidden ID, before I can ever get a group invite, then I'll end up never getting a group, getting frustrated, and quitting.

--Gray

1) "Personal" Communication would be prevented, until an introduction was made.  There is no reason to assume, joining a group, would not count as an introduction.

2) Introductions would facilitate a sense of possible connections.  It would drive the majority toward developing those connections.  Because the connections would make finding groups easier.

3) Who wouldn't want a #derpyBirdy

4) Frustration is often a fantastic motivator.

#onePieOneTruth

• 155 posts
    August 29, 2017 2:04 PM PDT

I only did read the OP here quickly:

While I understand that on a personnal point of view some people want that liberty of looking the way they want, I think it's also important to consider that as a mass certain criteria must be observed.

I dont want to play a game in which everyone's look is appropriate and then "Boom" this clow come in Green fuzzy hair skin white red nose with a pink suit, it would just kill the immerssion to me anyway.

• 17 posts
    September 5, 2017 5:00 PM PDT

I thank all who have responded, and will be taking a look at the linked thread about names.  --  I will be the first to admit that the addtion of spellcheck in near everything over the years has made me 'dumber' by just needing to know a words general structure over accuracy. --  While I understand a name holds a certain amount of reputation, having a account serial number of some kind attached to the name, while not always displayed, can be found through avatar inspection or character searches.  The forced unique name worked in older generation MMORPG's as they did not have the sheer popularity they have now, even back in the early days names with XxxX were all too common, followed by names with accented letters or symbols, if it comes down to ease of sending a tell, wouldnt a forced unqiue system make it even harder? - Having to decipher a persons name can take a while and also leads to translation issues.  To maintain the desire for simplicty, have adjustable filters to find the specific person you want, EG: Friends, Clan/Guild, People Nearby, Zone/Location, etc. - What ruins immersion for me in naming is having altered variants of names nobody would EVER have IRL, it destroys any sense of of a genuine avatar.

While I agree there needs to be a limit on custoimization that does not damage the immersion factor of an MMORPG that is seeking to recapture the classic MMORPG feel, as I stated in my OP: While I want a body that I can be pleased with, body sclupting and customization say on the scale of BDO is a bit excessive and not expected here, however being able to change my avatars general stature and build within acceptable tolerances for the race is a must.  There have been several notable games, BDO & Aion to list a couple, where you could literally make a horror show or super model with enough time and effort, certain peopel will always want to push the limits of any system and I do not belive it should be overly restricted.  That said if people really have a problem with others asthetics being too flashy, it a fair argument the other side could be upset with players characters lacking any originality and resembling generic NPC's and not taking care of themselves. - Personality clashes are unavoidable, if people are really worried about their immersion being ruiened by personality clashes, there could be a solution to satisfy both sides, but would requirea bit of additional programming.

--The idea with this one is have a 'generic' mode toggle, there are similar systems already implimented in games that have heavy PvP followings and elaborate costume items, the most notable being Guild Was 2, in their PvP and WvW all players are given generic armor and weapon asthetics so at a glance they can determine their class and respond appropriately without feeling mislead or disadvantaged because a heavy class was wearing a frilly dress or shorts leading them to believe they were somethign they were not, and opposite true.

I very much promote individuality and personal identity, forcing a unique name feature at this point in time feels to me like stating everyone on Facebook has to abandon their own name and use a unique name for security purposes. - I am getting at this kind of response is a step back not a step forward to a lasting solution and will create more headaches down the road.  This kind of close-minded rationale has the potential to go the route of 'females have to play female characters and makes have to play male characters otherwise you ruin my immersion!' -- I personally have played with both instances of players and tried playing both sides myself, I found those hung up on topics such as this ruiened their own experiance by not accepting that games by design exist outside the limitations of reality, as such trying to enforce restrictions that reside only in reality defeates the purpose, especially in a fantasy based game.

Sorry if that got a bit lengthy again =P

EDIT: I read through a large portioon of the replies on the  linked thread, the poll itself was not accessable, as such beign last reply was back in March I did not wish to necro the thread.  That said a huge concern falls behind immersion impact, and as  I stated in this thread already players working around toi get a somewhat similar name with either added characters or symbol/accent replacements slows down the /tell function even more and IMHO kills immersion when you have names like: Jason, Jas0n, XxJasonxX, JÅson, Jáson, Jàsön, Jazon, J'ason, etc.  Players will try to fudged names as much as they can do get something atleast somewhat similar to what they want we have all seen this kind of behavior and limiting name availability will lead to these immersion crushing name variants.

This post was edited by EndGamerZ at September 5, 2017 5:13 PM PDT
    • 12 posts
    September 5, 2017 10:54 PM PDT

EndGamerZ said:

My avatars generally reflect 'what I want to be' rather than 'what I am' as in a fantasy setting Why settle with the same restrictions socirty imposes every day?

EndGamerZ said:

What ruins immersion for me in naming is having altered variants of names nobody would EVER have IRL, it destroys any sense of of a genuine avatar.

I thought I understood where you were coming from in wanting to give players the most customization options possible and not being restricted to a time frame or a decided lore/aesthetic of the world. But when I read the above quotes from your writing it seems like you're contradicting your own views. Perhaps I'm not understanding fully what you're trying to portray in your posts?

• 763 posts
    September 5, 2017 11:50 PM PDT

It is certainly worth remembering that these are DEV forums and that, where possible, we should be consolidating posts on a given subject to as few threads as possible! This makes it far more likely that the DEVs would be able to scan through them, looking for arguments or options they had not thought of themselves!

Since I realise searching these forums is not the easiest ... I would suggest:

Names, conventions:
              https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2349/naming-conventions

Names, Lore-friendly:
              https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5981/lore-friendly-naming-conventions

Names, errr Ogre-related:
              https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6365/naming-your-ogre

Evoras, probably missed a few other links ...