Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

It's all in the details

• 9115 posts
    August 17, 2017 4:00 AM PDT

From hand carved stone structures to elegantly polished metals, Terminus is a wealth of lore and cultural diversity #PRF

Image may contain: people sitting and outdoor

Image may contain: indoor

• 50 posts
    August 17, 2017 4:01 AM PDT

As always, looking good! The extra detail is noticeable in the 2nd shot from the April stream.

This post was edited by Zazzaro at August 17, 2017 4:02 AM PDT
    • 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 5:40 AM PDT

+1 Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

• 626 posts
    August 17, 2017 7:17 AM PDT

Love the attention to detail here. 

• 248 posts
    August 17, 2017 8:07 AM PDT

Really like the bird's-eye view in the first picture :)
    Thanks for posting these!

-sorte.

• 11 posts
    August 17, 2017 8:36 AM PDT

Gorgeous!  Can't wait to explore the world and see the details up close.

• 523 posts
    August 17, 2017 9:46 AM PDT

New zones please Kilsin.  We haven't seen anything new since April 29th.  It's time.

• 166 posts
    August 17, 2017 11:50 AM PDT

Nice Pictures! I'm looking forward to explore the word of terminu on my own.

Does anyone know where the first picture is taken?

The second one is in the tower of the reckles magican.

• 2886 posts
    August 17, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

Landbert said:

Does anyone know where the first picture is taken?

It's an area called "The Gate" in Wild's End, as seen in the December stream: 00:19:38 The Gate of Wild's End

The Gate

"The Gate was the reason the Halflings picked Wild's End to settle in when first arriving on Terminus. It was the Elves who told them to avoid the area, as it was overrun by Wraiths. But it was in light of this very knowledge that the Halflings couldn't be kept away, for they glory in destroying the legacy of the one who cursed them so long ago. It is inside The Gate where adventurers will find the ancient halls of the Withered and quest to uncover some of Terminus’ most primeval and guarded secrets."

(Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/lore/wilds_end/)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at August 17, 2017 12:24 PM PDT
    • 166 posts
    August 17, 2017 12:36 PM PDT

Thank you Bazgrim, you are a walking dictionary. :)

I would give your posting a like or a thumbs up, but unfortunatelly this is not possible yet :)

Very interessting Lore, about this area, I think I should rewatch the December and the April stream.

• 3 posts
    August 17, 2017 2:46 PM PDT

more of the same zones. With every screen shot of the same things that is posted my hope that this game will ever launch gets smaller and smaller. There has been nothing new in four months. 

• 220 posts
    August 17, 2017 4:19 PM PDT

I love the vines in the overhang in the second picture and the grimy ancient stones in the first.  Diggin that alot.  I love the used, lived-in remnants you can add to a texture to make it really draw the eye.

I want to see some more living-world-lovin though. #PieOrNothing.  A bit of that zest grandma used to sneak in the Pie when no one was looking.  What I mean is, I want that scribe to be watering those plants, or reading a book and that protector to be bored, yet dedicated.  In the top picture I want the ancient stones to all have moss growing in a thin layer on the side with least sun exposure.  And I want a couple of birds perched on those stones.  Maybe a nest, and large spatter of bird poop etched into the stone from all the acidic guano over centuries of nesting in that very spot.  And a splatter of guano piled on the stone floor just below it.  With insects skittering about in reaction to movement, yet constantly sifting through the bounty their bird friends have been raining down upon them for countless bug generations.  You know, like the love grandma puts into every Pie just for you.

What I am really trying to say is:

All you need is... Pie... Pie.
    Pie is all you need, Pie is all you need.

You know the words...

• 9115 posts
    August 17, 2017 6:07 PM PDT

Mathir said:

New zones please Kilsin.  We haven't seen anything new since April 29th.  It's time.

I can't Mathir, not until we reveal a new zone officially, I was lucky to be able to continue these screenshots for you folks ;)

• 9115 posts
    August 17, 2017 6:10 PM PDT

Rumlox said:

more of the same zones. With every screen shot of the same things that is posted my hope that this game will ever launch gets smaller and smaller. There has been nothing new in four months. 

As I said to Mathir, I fought to be able to continue showing you guys screenshots, I can only show what has been revealed officially, when we reveal a new zone, I will focus more on showing it off but for now, these are old screenshots while there is a screenshot ban in place due to the new lighting and shaders being worked on.

Patience is the key as these games take years to make.

• 44 posts
    August 17, 2017 7:03 PM PDT

Kilsin, can you confirm that there will be some cramped dungeons/zones?  Unless I've missed it, all I've seen are pretty tall ceilings and spacious pathways.  Claustrophobic isn't always a bad thing when dungeon crawling.

• 188 posts
    August 17, 2017 7:42 PM PDT

Yep, some of the streams featured a run through some tighter spaces in dungeons.

• 454 posts
    August 17, 2017 9:39 PM PDT

I really enjoy the screenshots you can show us.  I love the high ceilings.  The detail on the tree in the second shot in tremendous, and the way the firelight bounces off the metallic wall spots is so cool.  Grand!

• 9115 posts
    August 18, 2017 3:06 AM PDT

Brunt said:

Kilsin, can you confirm that there will be some cramped dungeons/zones?  Unless I've missed it, all I've seen are pretty tall ceilings and spacious pathways.  Claustrophobic isn't always a bad thing when dungeon crawling.

We definitely have tighter and more claustrophobic spaces/dungeons, they just don't view well on streams so we stick to bigger open areas and more group orientated content.

• 9115 posts
    August 18, 2017 3:07 AM PDT

Questaar said:

I really enjoy the screenshots you can show us.  I love the high ceilings.  The detail on the tree in the second shot in tremendous, and the way the firelight bounces off the metallic wall spots is so cool.  Grand!

I am glad you like them, my friend, I am actually running low on screenshots so hopefully, they let me in to take new ones soon! :D

• 523 posts
    August 18, 2017 3:12 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Rumlox said:

As I said to Mathir, I fought to be able to continue showing you guys screenshots, I can only show what has been revealed officially, when we reveal a new zone, I will focus more on showing it off but for now, these are old screenshots while there is a screenshot ban in place due to the new lighting and shaders being worked on.

Patience is the key as these games take years to make.

Well, that's the most informative update we've had in awhile, just that lighting and shaders are being worked on presently.  Can you just say if any new class is in active development?  New or improved race models in active development?  A new zone in development?   Nobody knows what "getting the game ready for pre-alpha" actually means because unlike every other company crowd funding their game, you guys have a veil of secrecy on where your time is being spent.  In fact, you should make that a zone in the game, "Veil of Secrecy" where the rest of Terminus knows work is being done on something, at least theoretically, but nobody knows what, if anything, is actually being accomplished.  And pretty much everyone's hopes revolve around said work being completed within their lifetime.  

Nobody here blames you for anything Kilsin, but you are the mouthpiece for the company.  If you've been ordered to stand down for four months from revealing anything at all of note.  A new monster model, a new player model, some spell effects, explanations of programming code focus, new armor, faction information, design focus, etc....   I mean, the new forums have been in the works for what, a year?, with seemingly little progress.  If you put yourself in our shoes Kilsin, what do you think you would see connecting the dots?  I see a game in which development appears delayed or paused, money appears to have run out, or I see developers whom are too disenchanted with their product to show it off without the smoke/mirrors of a targeted stream.  Patience is important, I agree, but not blind obedience and patience.  Give us some transparency to earn our patience.  We've earned transparency by helping to fund this game, which would not exist, without our help.  We're not, at least I'm not, asking for streams every three months.  I just want some communication about where we are in the development process and what work has actually been done each month.  I assume, because logical reasoning (small team, limited coders, programmers, and engineers, limited money), that you aren't getting a lot done.  If you were, you'd probably be more willing to at least update us on monthly progress in at worst a vague manner.  Ideally, the company would represent itself in a similar manner to Camelot or Crowfall with how they treat and update their community.  Gimic contests for a singular patch note, community spotlights, and redundant screenshots for months on end say nothing other than development has stalled, the game is in trouble, and we need smoke and mirrors to distract the restless natives.  Plus, it's not like there aren't serious trust issues already in existance due to "Financial History" surrounding this game's initial crowdfunding and VG.  Seems almost ludicrous, taking that into account, that a veil of secrecy would be the given directive.  Transparency and honesty is what allows us to forgive, forget, and hope for the best.  Secrecy means just more of the same.  There's a better way to handle the slow development process with the community.  I have faith in you Kilsin that you will find it.

• 323 posts
    August 18, 2017 3:55 AM PDT
    The screenshots are nice.

Mathir, I'm not gonna say you shouldn't be frustrated. But I don't draw the same conclusions as you do from the current silence. We have seen other locations in the streams. We know they are being designed and developed and populated. We also know that Cohh was able to play with the devs from his remote location for the streams. And we've seen characters of different levels and ranges of abilities.

IIRC the reason the forums haven't been updated is pretty simple. They are going to be integrated with the subscription databases and perhaps even some game databases. So it makes sense to hold off as long as possible before making those live. VR might have to wait until it's sorted out naming conventions and name reservations, for example.

Also the company got funding in what, April? Are you suggesting the funding was only enough for 4 months of development? Seems unlikely.

More likely explanation: the Series A funder has imposed greater secrecy on the project and is tying Kilsin's hands more than if the development were solely crowd funded. So we'll have to just wait for big updates, like when pre-alpha begins.
    • 2886 posts
    August 18, 2017 6:18 AM PDT

Brunt said:

From the FAQ:

20.10 Would you say that the world is being designed more for 1st or 3rd person view? Will there be claustrophobic dungeons that make 3rd person play difficult? Will every dungeon have high ceilings for a 3rd person camera?

We test consistently in both and plan to support both. There are indeed areas where one view may be advantageous over another.

Also see: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6708/claustrophobic-and-trecherous-dungeons/view/page/1

This post was edited by Bazgrim at August 18, 2017 6:18 AM PDT
    • 189 posts
    August 18, 2017 6:49 AM PDT

I like that you started doing these screenshots! I don't ever remember them being so consistent up until now, but it helps build the hype up. Seeing the creations, knowing that you can't take more screenshots because they are adding new shaders and it may look slightly different or completely different the next time we see it. 

Hopefully they let you keep doing it!

• 125 posts
    August 18, 2017 7:47 AM PDT

Nice shots Kilsin...

Timing and hype are everything. The last thing you want to do is create too much too early as you are just setting yourself up for setbacks. The last 2 streams where not to long ago when you consider the time it takes to develop these games and more importantly the time it takes to put together these streams. I would rather see them spending time on developement than on putting together another stream.

Unfortunately when you have a lack of new information being leeked out it opens the doors for more negative speculations and also for more confrontational attitudes regarding rehashing old materials.

When you release a new stream/new information it opens the doors to more constructive conversations and ideas on how far you have come and what the next step is. Without that all there is is the old and it is human nature to become more speculative and more cynical the older the information becomes or the percieved lack of new information. 

• 103 posts
    August 18, 2017 7:54 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

due to the new lighting and shaders being worked on.

Sweet, glad you guys are making a pass at it, currently the most underwhelming and distracting part of the streams is the overall flatness of the graphics. Glad to see you guys are working on it, cant wait to see how it looks. Hope we see another stream to go along with the new zone reveal soon :D