Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

And so it has arrived...

• 188 posts
    August 16, 2017 6:37 PM PDT

For the first time since 2006, I've got a new gaming PC.  Can we get that pre-alpha going now?

And for those of you looking for something to do while we wait... I highly suggest checking out Hellblade as soon as possible.

• 220 posts
    August 16, 2017 8:28 PM PDT

I am getting mine soon.  Building a Ryzen rig with a Vega card as soon as I can get a decent priced one.  I hate coin miners... This battlestation I'm on has more miles than should be allowed by the laws of physics.  I feel like I should perform a ritual when I send it off to pasture.  I think I will toss the guts into an arcade cabinent I started but never finished for my newphews.  Hopefully by christmas.

This post was edited by ZennExile at August 16, 2017 8:40 PM PDT
    • 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 5:46 AM PDT

ZennExile said:

I am getting mine soon.  Building a Ryzen rig with a Vega card as soon as I can get a decent priced one.  I hate coin miners... This battlestation I'm on has more miles than should be allowed by the laws of physics.  I feel like I should perform a ritual when I send it off to pasture.  I think I will toss the guts into an arcade cabinent I started but never finished for my newphews.  Hopefully by christmas.

You'll have to fill us in how well it does.  I've been using AMD Graphics for a years (ATI Rage 128, ATI 9800 Pro, AMD 6950, AMD 270X, AMD 390)  but hell , when I got my HTC Vive, AMD was lacking in the driver area bad.  After false promises I gave up and jumped ship to Nvidia.  So far I've been happy with the jump, especially with VR.  Curious if AMD has revived their line or if they are still going to be gimped by lack of driver updates.

• 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 5:49 AM PDT

Hannar said:

For the first time since 2006, I've got a new gaming PC.  Can we get that pre-alpha going now?

And for those of you looking for something to do while we wait... I highly suggest checking out Hellblade as soon as possible.

Specs?

• 188 posts
    August 17, 2017 9:32 AM PDT

Processor is actually clocked up to 4.9 currently.

This post was edited by Hannar at August 17, 2017 9:32 AM PDT
    • 50 posts
    August 17, 2017 9:40 AM PDT

Holy Smokes, did you build that yourself or get that prebuilt off cyberpower PC or a similiar place. My current PC I was super busy with work and lazy and decided to just pay the extra $100 or so and have cyberpower PC build mine and I couldnt be more happy with how it turned out honestly. Zero issues and everything still going strong upper tier 2013 parts. All I've added was a 980ti in 2015. Going for a full scale upgrade this holiday with a similiar build to yours, only one 1080ti though. But, have fun with that machine wow congratulations.

This post was edited by Zazzaro at August 17, 2017 9:41 AM PDT
    • 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 9:57 AM PDT

Hannar said:

Processor is actually clocked up to 4.9 currently.

Every year I look at my 3570k and realize it's almost time.

• 188 posts
    August 17, 2017 1:26 PM PDT

Zazzaro said:

Holy Smokes, did you build that yourself or get that prebuilt off cyberpower PC or a similiar place. My current PC I was super busy with work and lazy and decided to just pay the extra $100 or so and have cyberpower PC build mine and I couldnt be more happy with how it turned out honestly. Zero issues and everything still going strong upper tier 2013 parts. All I've added was a 980ti in 2015. Going for a full scale upgrade this holiday with a similiar build to yours, only one 1080ti though. But, have fun with that machine wow congratulations.

Definitely did not put this together myself.  I used to really enjoy PC building, but once we got into significant water cooling territory, I bow out.  This one is from Xidax PCs.

• 220 posts
    August 17, 2017 3:46 PM PDT

That is so much money and power in a rig with a shelf life though...  Are you powering an Imax theater array?  Or a shared VR hub with like 10 connections?  What are you gonna do with the other 90% of that computer you aren't using for the highest end gaming I can even imagine existing in 5 years...  once you hit that 120hz mark, that's your low latency double human perception sweet spot.  You keep shakin it from there and yer just playin with it.

• 188 posts
    August 17, 2017 4:43 PM PDT

More than likely, I'll be playing Project 1999, refreshing these forums, and tweeting Taylor Swift gifs.  

• 9115 posts
    August 17, 2017 6:24 PM PDT

Nice Hannar, looking like a beast man! :)

• 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 6:32 PM PDT

Yea,  The dual 1080 ti is pretty overkill(especially because unity only focuses on one).  Only decent use would be VR when they get the sli for each eye.

• 44 posts
    August 17, 2017 6:58 PM PDT

Dual cards will help though with running multiple applications while playing Pantheon, because we know you are going to Twitch it (after NDA is lifted of course!).  I see you threw a storage drive on there.  Good call.

• 188 posts
    August 17, 2017 7:39 PM PDT

Dual cards aren't for Pantheon, of course, due to Unity - that's more for running Destiny 2 at 4k at the highest FPS possible.  

• 220 posts
    August 17, 2017 10:35 PM PDT

I can't afford a 4k monitor with a better refresh rate or latency than the 120hz Samsung I already have.  So I just pretend they don't exist yet...

• 255 posts
    August 18, 2017 3:04 AM PDT

Is that a dual water cooled system? One Black and one White? With water cooled memory?

• 188 posts
    August 18, 2017 10:04 AM PDT

Yep.  I went with the black/white theme because I don't like a lot of the multi-color RGB stuff, and my Destiny 2 peripherals all also have a black/white theme.  The case lights and fan lights in this are all white LEDs instead of the colorful stuff.