Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Combat while climbing?

• 3237 posts
    August 9, 2017 12:50 PM PDT
    I am wondering if VR has a plan on whether or not climbing will reset encounters? In EQ2, you could climb on a wall and anything attacking you would automatically reset. It felt like they purposely limited how many climbable walls there were in the game to prevent exploitation of this mechanic.
    • 483 posts
    August 9, 2017 1:29 PM PDT

I don't see combat working while you climb, but enemies loosing aggro when you climb, as you pointed out its very esealy exploitable, and rather stupid

I'd like to see something like NPC's following you, climbing to same way you do, and if they reach you while you're still climbing they grab you and throw you down (stunning you and dealling alot of dmg). to avoid exploits like keeping the mobs on the walls for a long period of time and damaging them while they're "afk" cimbling to reach their target make the mobs immune to dmg after 10 seconds of climbing, and if they engage in a climbing activite multiple time in a row during a short period of time (example ping-ponging a mob in a wall so you can dmg it while it climbs) they become immune to dmg and abilities from the second they start climbing and a few seconds after they finish the climbing.

• 125 posts
    August 9, 2017 3:22 PM PDT

It was shown in one of the streams that agro can take place and mobs will track to you from different elevations. If they can engage you while on a wall we will have to wait and see. What will be interesting to see is if the agro stays and the mobs will follow you to the next location where you may be attacked. What will be more interesting to see will be if the AI will be smart enough that when you create agro from another level and the mob agroed has to pass through other mobs, will that mob be smart enough to say "hey my friends are in combat let me join in to help". This would create some very interesting trains :). If this isnt the case and other mobs are not agroed, and with climbing being what it is in pantheon, this type of agro could be used to split mobs from a safe point to help the group or skip content.

This post was edited by Aatu at August 9, 2017 3:28 PM PDT
    • 37 posts
    August 9, 2017 7:10 PM PDT

jpedrote said:

I don't see combat working while you climb, but enemies loosing aggro when you climb, as you pointed out its very esealy exploitable, and rather stupid

I'd like to see something like NPC's following you, climbing to same way you do, and if they reach you while you're still climbing they grab you and throw you down (stunning you and dealling alot of dmg). to avoid exploits like keeping the mobs on the walls for a long period of time and damaging them while they're "afk" cimbling to reach their target make the mobs immune to dmg after 10 seconds of climbing, and if they engage in a climbing activite multiple time in a row during a short period of time (example ping-ponging a mob in a wall so you can dmg it while it climbs) they become immune to dmg and abilities from the second they start climbing and a few seconds after they finish the climbing.

Keep in mind that enemies NOT dropping aggro while you climb/get on an elevated plateu is infinitely more exploitable.

• 281 posts
    August 9, 2017 7:40 PM PDT

Senthin said:

jpedrote said:

Keep in mind that enemies NOT dropping aggro while you climb/get on an elevated plateu is infinitely more exploitable.

Only if they can't climb or get to you.  EQ 1 and 2, Asheron's Call and various other games had this issue.  Mobs couldn't climb or didn't have enough pathing AI to get to you in places where your z axis was different.  So, they'd just try and get to you by running into the wall you were standing on.  And you could pick them off with ranged or carefully placed melee attacks.

But if the mobs can climb to you are range attack you or somehow find the appropriate path to you, there isn't really an exploit, especially if they can attack AND climb at the same time.

• 769 posts
    August 14, 2017 10:16 AM PDT

oneADseven said: I am wondering if VR has a plan on whether or not climbing will reset encounters? In EQ2, you could climb on a wall and anything attacking you would automatically reset. It felt like they purposely limited how many climbable walls there were in the game to prevent exploitation of this mechanic.

Yea, I exploited the crap out of this mechanic.

Remember hauling a$$ through Faydark just to make it to that one obelisk dungeon (i think?), not stopping to tackle any of the train at your back just because you knew there was a climbable wall just ahead? It was fun in a way, but it also just didn't feel right.

I'm sure that having combat while climbing might be a pain to implement, but at least make the mobs able to follow us and continue aggro once the climb is over. It makes sense. Dagger in your teeth while climbing after your opponent.

Or make it so that you can only auto attack, with a set damage/delay ratio regardless of class/weapon/race, when hanging suspended and chasing someone.

Just thoughts.

• 201 posts
    August 14, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

That's assuming the enemies can climb as well(ie: type of mob). 

• 1095 posts
    December 9, 2017 3:18 PM PST

Rivacom said:

jpedrote said:

That's assuming the enemies can climb as well(ie: type of mob). 

In darksouls you can kick  or hit npc above and below. Same them to you and knock you off. Humoids, but if I see an octopus type thing or a crab chasing me up a ladder, talk about heart pumping.