Forums » The Druid

What do YOU think of when you think of a Druid?

• 133 posts
    August 6, 2017 9:38 AM PDT

People talk a lot about game mechanics - and don't get me wrong, I like to as well - but since we haven't seen any released information on spell lists or even what kind of healing (HoTs? Regen? Burst?) that Druids will get, there's not a lot to really think about there yet other than comparing against other games and imagining what could be on that front.

So, in a different vein, I thought I'd ask this question:

What do you think of, mentally, when you think of a Druid?  What's a "Druid" to you?

I'll start out so you can see what I mean.

When I think of Druids in gaming, my first thought is of a Tauren Druid from WoW (my first MMO Druid experience).  The shapeshifting, animal forms type of Druid that's a very hippie, nature loving type of Druid.  Tauren are sort of like Native Americans in culture and worldview, and so there's a strong "protect nature" vibe going on with that class/race combination in particular.

However, this is only my FIRST thought.

My favorite image of the Druid is actually the real world, planet Earth types from ancient times in northwestern Europe.  The hooded men that would travel to secret meetings in forest clearings to discuss matters of tribal politicis and the signs and seasons of nature and the heavens, then go back to their villages to be the spiritual leaders of their people.  Little is known today about them other than that they seemed to take an interest in heavenly signs and were probably early alchemists, working with herbs and making poutices to heal the sick and care for their communities.

From this image I get the idea of the Druids from a book series called the Pendragon Cycle, which was a take on the King Arther legend...but started well before Arther comes on the scene.  The first book talks about the father of Merlin, a Druid/Bard, and his journey of knowledge involves learning the ways of Druids.  One striking scene is where his tribe's army goes out to fight and he goes to the back, makes a ring of stones, and then stands atop his horse and summons a gale that blows at the backs of his comrades as they clash with the enemy.  "Our DRUID is with us!", they shout as they clash in battle - underscoring that it isn't physical supremacy, but rather the power of knowledge and wisdom that defines the Druid's real strength.  But also that their magic is subtle.  Natural.  A gale of wind to bolster allies and harry enemies, not a blunt magical fireball or a complicated summoning spell conjuring a rainbow dragon or a gaudy pillar of divine light from the gods or the like.  Subtle.  Natural.

The Druids also discuss matters of the changing world, and foretell the births of kings and nations, coming of calamities, and so on.  They plant seeds - literal tree seeds and figurative idea seeds - that sprout and grow, and they have tremendous foresight of the long game, many Druid decisions being made by old men that will not come to fruition for decades or even centuries, generations, after their own deaths.

Anyway, these are the things I think of when I think of Druids.  Not the more modern hippie tree-hugger types or the "defenders of nature" types.  But rather the secret knowledge types, and diviners of the future and readers of stars and seasons.

What do YOU think of when you think of Druids?
    What kind of Druid representation would you like to see?

• 193 posts
    August 6, 2017 1:16 PM PDT

I could see a druid very much like you described.  Not as a primary healing but more of a offensive class. One who can summon anything in nature, thunder, lightning, hail, ice, snow, trees, roots, rocks, sand, fire, lava, animals etc. and use those defensively or offensively.

Closely related but more refined to a shaman, druids are also known for making potions that are imbued by and reflect their abilities. While druids can't particularly heal well in battle, they may have potent healing potions and salves which could be applied out of combat.

• 133 posts
    August 10, 2017 6:11 PM PDT
    I guess I mean less "class/game mechanics".

More, what do you envision a Druid being? If you met or were a Druid in real life, what would you identify as key traits of that Druid?

I like the idea of mystic/sage. A mysterious, wise individual, more mystery than magic (whereas a wizard is more magic than mystery), though not bereft of magic by any means. Secret orders of cloaked sages, reading signs and seasons, and sprinkling lightly magiced earth and seeds across the land to grow forests and fields in the future.

Sages with an eye to the "long game", not as flashy or blunt as the "magicians" who call themselves wizards. Rather, true sages who prefer working methodically over time through more natural means, coaxing and cultivating the results the envision into reality rather than yelling out some overly complicated incantation to summon a gaudy burst of fire.

...if you get what I mean now? :)
    • 44 posts
    August 12, 2017 5:11 PM PDT

A Druid is nothing more than a street urchin.  A beggar, clamoring for a piece of the dwindling Fae.  Praying for a glimpse of power from the pretentious Faerie beings who squander their energies in pursuit of balance.  There is no balance.  There is Darkness, and the pathetic Light whimpering quietly in the corner as the Darkness closes in.  The Faerie and their agendas are meaningless.  Dark Power is the only true Power.

When I see a Druid I see nothing, with no Will of its own, and no purpose.  When the bones have finished bleaching, then we can assign these creatures a true purpose.  A Dark Purpose.