Forums » The Druid

What do YOU think of when you think of a Druid?

• 143 posts
    August 6, 2017 9:38 AM PDT

People talk a lot about game mechanics - and don't get me wrong, I like to as well - but since we haven't seen any released information on spell lists or even what kind of healing (HoTs? Regen? Burst?) that Druids will get, there's not a lot to really think about there yet other than comparing against other games and imagining what could be on that front.

So, in a different vein, I thought I'd ask this question:

What do you think of, mentally, when you think of a Druid?  What's a "Druid" to you?

I'll start out so you can see what I mean.

When I think of Druids in gaming, my first thought is of a Tauren Druid from WoW (my first MMO Druid experience).  The shapeshifting, animal forms type of Druid that's a very hippie, nature loving type of Druid.  Tauren are sort of like Native Americans in culture and worldview, and so there's a strong "protect nature" vibe going on with that class/race combination in particular.

However, this is only my FIRST thought.

My favorite image of the Druid is actually the real world, planet Earth types from ancient times in northwestern Europe.  The hooded men that would travel to secret meetings in forest clearings to discuss matters of tribal politicis and the signs and seasons of nature and the heavens, then go back to their villages to be the spiritual leaders of their people.  Little is known today about them other than that they seemed to take an interest in heavenly signs and were probably early alchemists, working with herbs and making poutices to heal the sick and care for their communities.

From this image I get the idea of the Druids from a book series called the Pendragon Cycle, which was a take on the King Arther legend...but started well before Arther comes on the scene.  The first book talks about the father of Merlin, a Druid/Bard, and his journey of knowledge involves learning the ways of Druids.  One striking scene is where his tribe's army goes out to fight and he goes to the back, makes a ring of stones, and then stands atop his horse and summons a gale that blows at the backs of his comrades as they clash with the enemy.  "Our DRUID is with us!", they shout as they clash in battle - underscoring that it isn't physical supremacy, but rather the power of knowledge and wisdom that defines the Druid's real strength.  But also that their magic is subtle.  Natural.  A gale of wind to bolster allies and harry enemies, not a blunt magical fireball or a complicated summoning spell conjuring a rainbow dragon or a gaudy pillar of divine light from the gods or the like.  Subtle.  Natural.

The Druids also discuss matters of the changing world, and foretell the births of kings and nations, coming of calamities, and so on.  They plant seeds - literal tree seeds and figurative idea seeds - that sprout and grow, and they have tremendous foresight of the long game, many Druid decisions being made by old men that will not come to fruition for decades or even centuries, generations, after their own deaths.

Anyway, these are the things I think of when I think of Druids.  Not the more modern hippie tree-hugger types or the "defenders of nature" types.  But rather the secret knowledge types, and diviners of the future and readers of stars and seasons.

What do YOU think of when you think of Druids?
    What kind of Druid representation would you like to see?

• 346 posts
    August 6, 2017 1:16 PM PDT

I could see a druid very much like you described.  Not as a primary healing but more of a offensive class. One who can summon anything in nature, thunder, lightning, hail, ice, snow, trees, roots, rocks, sand, fire, lava, animals etc. and use those defensively or offensively.

Closely related but more refined to a shaman, druids are also known for making potions that are imbued by and reflect their abilities. While druids can't particularly heal well in battle, they may have potent healing potions and salves which could be applied out of combat.

• 143 posts
    August 10, 2017 6:11 PM PDT
    I guess I mean less "class/game mechanics".

More, what do you envision a Druid being? If you met or were a Druid in real life, what would you identify as key traits of that Druid?

I like the idea of mystic/sage. A mysterious, wise individual, more mystery than magic (whereas a wizard is more magic than mystery), though not bereft of magic by any means. Secret orders of cloaked sages, reading signs and seasons, and sprinkling lightly magiced earth and seeds across the land to grow forests and fields in the future.

Sages with an eye to the "long game", not as flashy or blunt as the "magicians" who call themselves wizards. Rather, true sages who prefer working methodically over time through more natural means, coaxing and cultivating the results the envision into reality rather than yelling out some overly complicated incantation to summon a gaudy burst of fire.

...if you get what I mean now? :)
    • 251 posts
    August 12, 2017 5:11 PM PDT

A Druid is nothing more than a street urchin.  A beggar, clamoring for a piece of the dwindling Fae.  Praying for a glimpse of power from the pretentious Faerie beings who squander their energies in pursuit of balance.  There is no balance.  There is Darkness, and the pathetic Light whimpering quietly in the corner as the Darkness closes in.  The Faerie and their agendas are meaningless.  Dark Power is the only true Power.

When I see a Druid I see nothing, with no Will of its own, and no purpose.  When the bones have finished bleaching, then we can assign these creatures a true purpose.  A Dark Purpose.

• 143 posts
    August 22, 2017 7:27 PM PDT

^ Not...exactly what I had in mind.  But I think we're onto the right general track.  (What, the Necromancer subforum isn't up yet?  :p)

• 9 posts
    August 27, 2017 6:23 PM PDT

When I think of a druid I think of a protector of the balance of all things.  I envision someone who would fight against monsters moving into a forest, then also turn around and fight against the invasion of a "good" city to protect their paths through that forest.  A druid is interested in maintaining the natural balance.  He does not hate death, but embraces it as a natural course of things, as long as it is not overdone.  Eradication is antithema to a druid. 

A druid would use healing to protect while calling down lighting, or enlisting animal assistance if need be.  A good druid would know that some sacrifice may be needed to achieve long term balance.

This leads to the reason druids are often loaners or hermits.  If they were joined with others to fight off a monster invasion, if they did too well, the druid would be just as likely to turn on his own allies to even the fighting.

• 2 posts
    August 28, 2017 4:43 AM PDT

I very much enjoyed my druid in EQ1. 
    I loved being able to pretty much fill in slots. 
    No Wizard? Druid can fill in.  No Cleric? Druid can fill in.
    I remember being able to dps as the main group healer when my team was doing well.  I remember helping offset the cleric when things got out of hand. 
    We were never the best of anything, but we could do quite a few things well

Not to mention the soloability if you didnt want to group.  I could quadkite right along the wizards, fighting for spawns in Cobalt Scar.

• 178 posts
    September 1, 2017 12:28 PM PDT
    Totally agree, Renathras. I'd love to see Druid spells have more subtlety - a gale, a single, spectacular lightning strike, changing the composition of the earth beneath enemies' feet, calling animals local to the environment, gathering information (map? enemies? locations of a key item/person?) from ravens or something, bringing some form of temporary sentience to a tree. I'd love to see many of their abilities be interactions with the local environment, if possible.

Druids vs necromancers >=) Cause things to fight for them in opposite ways - life vs death.
    • 251 posts
    September 11, 2017 10:47 PM PDT

Silly mortals, balance is when you raise a Druid from the dead so it can heal your Abomination.  Druids are slaves to the Fae in life, and they will serve the Darkness both as the tide turns, and again in death.  Druids were born to serve, and serve they will.  Even the Fae themselves will bare their ancient teeth in defense of the Dark Purpose.  And they will be struck from their perch on high as gods, only to rise again as servants of the Darkness.

This is the Truth of Things that drives all Druids to madness.  And your madness will be a welcome ally.  Your Fae will win this war for the Darkness, and they have always know this would come to be.  You sacrifice your energies to the greatest weapon the Darkness shall wield in the final battle, the rotting corpses of Faerie Gods.  I can already taste their divine energies.  Dripping, seeping, burning the light away from you eyes, as you watch in horror the mouth of your own chosen gods consume you.

I eagerly await your struggle.  And my own personal mountain of Fae corpses.

• 13 posts
    October 29, 2017 9:48 PM PDT

I see two general types of Druids with one thing in comon, the source of their power, Nature.

One type of druid is the Protector of Nature, the other, the Corruptor of Nature. Both draw their power from Nature, but they go about it differently.

The Protector Druid draws the power that eminates from healthy life around them, it is given to them in exchange for the Druid's Protection. They seek to protect the wild lands from destructive forces, frequently including that of the "civilized" peoples and their cities. They may do this with force, or diplomacy, aranging a trade of sorts by limiting logging and farming to reasonable sizes, the Druids can assure healthy crops and livestock. They could even organize sustainable logging, enhancing the growth of trees in an area in order to preserve the old growth in others.

The Corruptor Druid draws the power out forcefully, sickening and killing the area around them. They are plagues on the land and care for nothing but power. They avoid cities due to their lack of nature energies they can steal. They travel not to see the world, but because if they stay in one place for too long the area's energy will become too depleted for them to work their magics as well as they could.

• 325 posts
    October 29, 2017 10:58 PM PDT

Tree huggers. The Children/Three Eyed Raven. Werewolves.

• 42 posts
    November 2, 2017 5:52 PM PDT

A jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.  A teleporter, a shapeshifter.  I'm hoping they bring the Everquest 1 version back.

• 2 posts
    November 3, 2017 1:47 PM PDT

I've always loved the idea of nature magic. I think that a Druid is simply a person so in-tune with nature that is radiates out of them. They have become a natural force that can channel the wilds into their spells, for resoration or desctruction. Magic as sutble as camoflauge, or as spectaular as lighting like others have mentioned.

I want to be able to heal primarily as a Druid, or at least have the option of finding a balance between offensive and supportive skill and spells. It would be interesting to see the Druid get healing magic that is set apart from the Cleric. Perhaps every spell could have a small aura of healing as a side effect. Or only healing over time but it also can sheild, snuf flames, give thomy armor, etc. I get the sense that a Druid would blend the effects of their magic. A flash flood might wash away the landscape, but it brings healing waters plants and animals the survived. A forest fire causes great destrcution but it often renues an old forest by sparking new life and clearing space for new species.

I think others have been calling it correctly: Druid= Nature, Balance, Life AND Death

This post was edited by MuteHerald at November 3, 2017 1:48 PM PDT
    • 1195 posts
    November 3, 2017 2:48 PM PDT

I just hope they end up very much unlike the "jack-of-all-trades, master of being unwanted" that they were in classic EQ. It would be a good base to build from but I hope they end up just as skilled in healing as the other two healers (likely specializing in heal over time regrowth type spells) with a secondary focus on damaging elemental spells. My fingers are crossed that the damaging spells are low mana/manaless and/or proc instant/fast casts from healing spells (so they don't "waste" mana/time trying to DPS, never works out otherwise). For utility: movespeed buffs, teleports, and environment /weather control/protection.

This post was edited by Iksar at November 3, 2017 2:50 PM PDT
    • 32 posts
    November 3, 2017 9:44 PM PDT

It's a pet peeve of mine when druids end up being "the shapeshifter". Nothing against shapeshifting, but it seems weird to me to put that under the term "druid", especially when there's a shaman available.

As long as that doesn't happen, I'm open to all kinds of druid interpretations. The Poison Ivy druid, the Allanon druid, the geomancer druid...

But two of my favorite approaches might be:

1. To morph the historical druid into a high fantasy setting, I'd think of them as celestial/cosmic in theme. Lots of emphasis on stars and the day/night cycle as well as weather. Kinda Lovecraftian vibes to be had here, too.

2. LotRO Lore-master, full stop.

• 101 posts
    November 3, 2017 10:48 PM PDT

KCRiley said:

It's a pet peeve of mine when druids end up being "the shapeshifter". Nothing against shapeshifting, but it seems weird to me to put that under the term "druid", especially when there's a shaman available.

As long as that doesn't happen, I'm open to all kinds of druid interpretations. The Poison Ivy druid, the Allanon druid, the geomancer druid...

But two of my favorite approaches might be:

1. To morph the historical druid into a high fantasy setting, I'd think of them as celestial/cosmic in theme. Lots of emphasis on stars and the day/night cycle as well as weather. Kinda Lovecraftian vibes to be had here, too.

2. LotRO Lore-master, full stop.

I won't mind if Druids end up with the ability to shape into various animals, as long as it doesn't involve getting seperate sets of skills turning me into "barebone Warrior" or "barebone Rogue" or any other bland version of a different class' design. I liked the approach of EQ2, where animal forms were personal buffs, and had the option to turn the visual effect on or off, depending if you wanted to see your character model or the animal form.

• 73 posts
    November 6, 2017 10:01 AM PST

I think of Stonehenge, mainly...which is sort of interesting considering the possibility that Stonehenge was built before druids existed.

Druids were essentially wisemen/wisewomen who advocated peace between warring groups, created potions and cast spells, and functioned as repositories of knowledge passed down through oral tradition. MMOs tend to portray them as more like neo-druids who have been around since about the 17th century but initially based their culture/religion on some very limited information, but in the iron age they were very much involved with human society.

Fun fact I learned recently: Boudicca was supposedly a descendant of a bandrui, or druidess, and may have been one herself.

• 84 posts
    November 8, 2017 8:38 AM PST

Here is my breakdown of the classes in line with druids, nature, and animals based on the class list provided.

• Druids - mortal connection to nature.
    • Rangers - connection to animals (hunting or protecting).
    • Shaman - mortal connection to spirits. 

You have some cross-bleed between them, but it gives a good foundation for what is involved. 

Shaman will derive their power from spirits (good and bad, human and animal), but druids this is derived from nature, the elements, and animals. Druids focus on maintaining the natural order and mortal's place in the order. This is a good explanation for why gnomes are not able to become druids. 

You can include shape-changing, animal control, or elemental mastery in a natural form. While a wizard can channel fire and ice and even strange derivatives of ColdFire the druid should be restricted to channeling the natural powers of lightning, earthquakes, wind storms, etc.

A good example of cross interdependence for a druid could be strengthening other spells such as a fire effect on the enemy increasing in damage when a wind storm is applied to the enemy stoking the flames. A rainfall providing a drenched debuff making fire weaker, but lightning damage much more powerful. 

Healing wise I think this needs some more backing in lore circumstances which are not yet available on the source of their power to do these hero abilities. Regen focus makes a type of sense and other plant-based healing effects, but numbers have to be competitive to avoid the "mastery of none jack of all trades" situation in EQ.

If there are shape change abilities restricting them to the druid themselves makes the most sense. A flight form for swift travel might make sense for a bird, but giving this to the entire party is illogical unless there are some strict limitations of what you can do with it. Transportation to druid circles if they exist makes more sense for group travel.  A limited duration spell to turn a party member into mist/cloud as a defensive ability might be interesting, but it would need to be balanced properly (would not expect it to remove aggro, just make the person unhittable for the duration). 

• 1195 posts
    November 8, 2017 11:49 AM PST

Just going to put this here in case anyone missed it way back in the official announcement of the race/class chart:

Kilsin said:   

...Our Druids are about the cycles of nature, the dance between predator and prey. Their powers draw from the forces of nature, like Lightning, Earthquakes, Wildfires, as well as the restorative and transformative sides of Nature. Think of them less as paragons of peace and some ideal of what Nature could or should be, and rather as reflecting what Nature is. Ogres fit this space as the wolf in the weeds.

...Certain Druidic spells will include fire wielding...

• 76 posts
    November 9, 2017 11:10 AM PST

I think of druid as shape-shifting into nuture.  Controlling animals of nature.  Increasing natural healing.  Summoning bees.  Changing the weather.  Growing thorns.  Moving like the wind.  Fire and brimstone.  Controlling vines and snares.

I am not sure why Druids in most games can teleport. 

• 1195 posts
    November 9, 2017 6:40 PM PST

I believe they can teleport because of Dungeons & Dragons. Since the 1st edition of D&D druids have been able to teleport with a spell called "Transport via Plants." The difference being in DnD they could travel from any plant to any other plant of the same species in the world. I think EQ just decided to change plants to stone rings.