Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Progeny Titles

• 1303 posts
    August 1, 2017 8:43 AM PDT

Fluffy said:

Zorkon said:

To NOT Progeny is to abandon your character.

We indeed know little about the progeny system at this point,but not sure I like the idea that it would be obligatory to progeny a character to gain a needed edge
    "You need a heal and cc at least so first progeny your character as a cleric and enchanter ,then get back to us" If other players would say that i'd never come back :D but you know what people are like sometimes :D
    I'm all for a progeny system,as long as it remains a choice.
    If to not progeny means we *abandon* our character,it would mean that we would be not allowed to be contented with the character we have.

This I completely agree with. If it becomes apparent that a person who declines to participate in Progeny is at a disadvantage I'll be seriously disappointed. If however Progeny just makes it easier to move thru the content with a new character because they have a leg-up on tradeskills or something, I'm fine with that. 

Titles are not advantages. They are cosmetic, and frankly I could care less. But if there's some other [edit] unrelated means that also grants titles I'd be fine with that too. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at August 1, 2017 8:45 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    August 1, 2017 8:44 AM PDT

Tabian said:

Manouk said:

Or how about the title is given to the Main character- along the lines of the grades of nobility- like in the Wiki link below.

For instance the main would get title EMPEROR, and first progeny get the title King, and the down the line to Viscount as more progenies were made.the last getting Gentleman as the title.

Nice table at the bottom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

After the first year you'd have a thousand guys, per shard, running around with the title Emperor and eventually Gentleman, which should be a common title, will be the rarest.

Just no.

My Idea was you'd get bumped up along the way, so if you only made one progeny, you would be duke and your progeny would be gentleman. every time you progenize (sp?) the bump up would occur on the main.

• 542 posts
    August 1, 2017 11:08 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

Fluffy said:

Feyshtey said:

Fluffy said:

What would the players who stick to their character without using the progeny feature get?

Nothing. 

If you reward people for doing nothing then rewards have no meaning. 

So sticking through thick and thin with a character is 'doing nothing' ?

Ok

By that logic we should only be rewarded when we get ourselves a new lover
    Gifts for people celebrating a platinum wedding anniversary? Why reward people for doing nothing :D

Sticking with a character is a devotion that does deserve a reward

If you are content sitting on the couch every night watching sitcoms with your lover then isnt that its own reward? 

If you choose to celebrate someone who demonstrates a love for thier current status without desire to change, isnt that also its own reward? 

If instead you are disgruntled because Joe and Jim, who've been together for 10 years get to go on vacations together, and take dance lessons together, and choose to show their dedication to one another in a myriad of other ways, and all you do is sit on the couch and watch stupid sitcoms, then why should anyone attempt to make you feel like what you have is just as good as what Jim and Joe have? 

watching sitcoms is the same as playing these games now?
    I understand why you feel that way :D
    Most MMOs are such repetitive & dull experiences,watching others play and comment on stream arouses more excitement than actively playing the actual games
    And ofcourse watching sitcoms is its own reward ,at least if they are any good to watch.Watching is all that is to it.
    But you won't get your character there without all the dances and the walks
    So sticking with a character is like watching stupid sitcoms? while progeny is like a vacation together O_o
    Whether you stick to a character or make use of progeny,its just different walks in life
    Who is to say that those using progeny would have it better than someone who sticks with the character?
    Why would a reward  for longtime dedication be denied to someone who decides to continue to take on challenges with the first character?
    if people who progeny get a reward
    If you agree that someone who doens't use progeny shouldn't be at a disadvantage I don't get it.

This post was edited by Fluffy at August 1, 2017 11:19 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    August 1, 2017 4:31 PM PDT

This discussion is moving dangerously close to a Progeny mechanic discussion, please bring it back on track to being about titles to remove any risk of having this thread closed.

We have not released enough information for anyone to base a proper opinion on what our system will be so until then, let's just stick to some friendly ideas and discussion points on the Progeny topic until people can get in and test it for themselves.

• 542 posts
    August 1, 2017 6:08 PM PDT

For these titles,there might be certain fields to explore that unlock new options ,so they'd be more than titles 

Investigation

-Agent
    -Detective
    -Inspector
    -Hunter
    -Researcher

-Professor

Negotiation

-Senator
    -Representative
    -Tactician
    -Peace negotiator

Authority

-Father/Mother
    -Sergeant
    -Judge

-Exalted
    -Lord
    -Champion

Creation

-Scholar
    -Painter
    -Engineer
    -Sculpturer
    -Musician

Manipulation

-Merchant
    -Trickster
    -Lawyer

Please no attacks with woodaxe when you think one of these does not belong in a certain field :(

• 1303 posts
    August 2, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

As I said, if there are titles granted for doing other things unrelated to Progeny, I'm fine with that. 

But the discussion at hand is about Progeny, right? 

• 9115 posts
    August 2, 2017 5:50 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

As I said, if there are titles granted for doing other things unrelated to Progeny, I'm fine with that. 

But the discussion at hand is about Progeny, right? 

There will be titles for a variety of things, how many titles we will have it yet to be determined but this thread is specifically about an idea for Progeny based titles, so feel free to discuss that and add to the thread with ideas for titles that you like related to characters that have used the Progeny system and started over at level 1.

There may well be titles for folks who Progeny that you can't get on normal characters, it is, after all, a big sacrifice, so I actually think this is a pretty cool idea and a nice way to give one reward without over powering the character.

• 258 posts
    August 3, 2017 7:17 AM PDT

Just a few more ideas I thought I would toss out there...

What about being able to choose from a list of titles like:

"the Kind"
    "the Wise"
    "the Fair"
    "the Malicious"
    "the Malevolent"
    Etc...

The above could be for the first progeny. To avoid absurdly long names, when a player toggles this title on it takes the place of their last name.
    For example, Kaen Blackheart becomes Kaen the Malevolent.

The second progeny of the same character might receive a more prestigious title like Lord or Lady.
    You can now make your name Lord Kaen Blackheart or Lord Kaen the Malevolent.

This post was edited by Kaen at August 3, 2017 7:18 AM PDT
    • 626 posts
    August 3, 2017 8:23 AM PDT

Hmm, I like the ideas of titles but also struggle with them a little.I mean how would you "rank" them?

Meaning in my mind with the Progency System you want to have some sort of hierarchy to show at a glance just how many times you've used the progeny system. 

Here is a bad example of what I'm thinking towards: 

Progeny 0 - Saicred 

Progeny 1 - Saicred II

Progeny 2 - Saicred III

Progeny 3 - Champion Saicred

Progeny 4 - Centurion Saicred

Progeny 5 - Knight Saicred

Progeny 6 - Lieutenant Saicred

Progeny 7 - General Saicred

Progeny 8 - Gladiator Saicred

Progeny 9 - Lord Saicred

Progeny 10 - King Saicred

Or... What if, oh go with me on this... we have a Different title for each class you progeny with past Progeny Number 2. Meaning...

Progeny 0 - Saicred 

Progeny 1 - Saicred II

Progeny 2 - Saicred III

Progeny 3 - Depending on class could be - Cleric = Saicred the Blessed... or Warrior = Saicred the Protector... or Rogue = Saicred the Sly

Not going to go into how the progeny system will work, but... if you were allowed to change your character class when using progeny then basically after you progeny twice you would be able to get a new title depending on what class you progency with each time you do there after. Maybe if you progeny once with 1 of each class you get a grand title of sorts... "King Saicred" or something. 

Just some thoughts :) - I like this topic though. Fun to think about!

• 258 posts
    August 3, 2017 9:58 AM PDT

Saicred said:

Hmm, I like the ideas of titles but also struggle with them a little.I mean how would you "rank" them?

Meaning in my mind with the Progency System you want to have some sort of hierarchy to show at a glance just how many times you've used the progeny system.

My explanation will probably stray a little off-topic, so I apologize...

First of all, I would rather see a number of different titles, which is why I mentioned "the Kind", "the Malevolent", etc...  So I like your class-based idea as it would allow for at least some variation, but I also like the idea of choosing which title fits your personality, your character's persona, or fits best with your character's name.

As for "rank", I imagine the progeny system will have a limit per character. Perhaps two or three times per character, max. Going beyond two or three may allow players to become too overpowered. And if the benefit at that point is so little as to not allow a player to become overpowered, nobody (or very, very few) will choose to utilize the progeny system beyond that point, thus defeating many of the principles--as Kilsin has mentioned in another thread--for which the progeny system was created in the first place, one of the main points being that it should encourage players who have reached max level to move through the content again so that lower level players have more people to play with and learn from, and lower level content does not (or at least might not) become obselete to a player who reaches max level. I don't think it is meant to create an endless loop of leveling over and over again simply to stay min/maxed, nor am I really keen on that idea.

To avoid going too far off topic on this thread, here is a link to my post regarding the Progeny System's function if you would like to read it :D (Near the end of Page 2) At this point, I'm not sure the topic is really up for discussion, but I made the post to outline how I think it could function well and why, largely based on the above-mentioned "principles" supplied by Kilsin.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2870/progeny-system/view/page/2

This post was edited by Kaen at August 3, 2017 10:00 AM PDT
    • 542 posts
    August 3, 2017 10:34 AM PDT

Humans 
    First choice bard (personlity silly)- progeny Enchanter (personality amusing)- world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Jester
    First choice Rogue (personlity greedy) -progeny Ranger (personality Adventurous) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Pirate

Halflings

First choice Druid (personality protective) -progeny Dire Lord (personality supportive) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Faun

Dark Myrs

First choice Bard (personality captivating) -progeny Shaman (personality purifier of souls) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Mer

Ogres

First choice Shaman (personality curious) -progeny Dire lord (analyst) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Witchdoctor

Skars

First choice Wizard (personality deceptive) -progeny Enchanter (personality abusive) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Efreet

ELves

First choice Paladin (personality held-back) -progeny Druid (personality nurturing) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Tree ent

Archai

First choice Dire Lord (personality aggressive) -progeny Summoner (personality dominant,expansive) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Overlord

Dwarfs

First choice Monk (personality serene) -progeny Warrior (personality patient) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Zenmaster

Gnomes

First choice Wizard (personality creative) -progeny Enchanter (personality inventive) - world mission friends have to complete before you can be reborn as Genie

This post was edited by Fluffy at August 3, 2017 10:41 AM PDT
    • 626 posts
    August 3, 2017 12:42 PM PDT

Kaen said:

First of all, I would rather see a number of different titles, which is why I mentioned "the Kind", "the Malevolent", etc...  So I like your class-based idea as it would allow for at least some variation, but I also like the idea of choosing which title fits your personality, your character's persona, or fits best with your character's name.

Different titles isn't a bad idea. I just think it would have more meaning if it was something that showed how many times you've done it is all. That way you can wear the name with pride for going through the levels once or even multiple times. All in all I think titles in general in whatever way they are done are a good start to providing players who use the progeny system something to show off, however I'm just worried you may have too many titles for too many things which would lead to a lack of meaning behind them in my mind. 

To avoid going too far off topic on this thread, here is a link to my post regarding the Progeny System's function if you would like to read it :D (Near the end of Page 2) At this point, I'm not sure the topic is really up for discussion, but I made the post to outline how I think it could function well and why, largely based on the above-mentioned "principles" supplied by Kilsin.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2870/progeny-system/view/page/2

Thank you for bringing this post up. Yes I've read many of the progeny posts over the last year and all seem to be about the same lol, which is why Kilsin has to take them down. I'm gald you brought up a subject around progeny that isn't about how to change it to make it better or worse. Instead its direct about possible titles as rewards for it. Thank you for starting the conversation. Again I really like the idea of a Title or two for using the progeny system, but want to help ensure those titles come with some pride as well for making the sacrifice of starting over. Its a lot to ask someone to retire their main and start over, so ensuring the end results gives that little bit of pride is what is important to me. 

• 258 posts
    August 3, 2017 8:06 PM PDT

Right on :D

I get what you're saying. I think by class would be a good way to decide title, too. But for me lack of meaning / uniqueness would come with every player having the same title. So that every single progeny would have "II" or "the Champion" or whatever at the end of their name. So I agree that too many different titles for a progeny character might not be a good thing, but I think that having too few titles (or just one) for a first-time progeny would make it a bit... bland. But my views are also largely based on the assumption that people will only be able to progeny a character two times. If people can do it 10+ times, then yeah it would make sense for the first level progeny characters to have the same title, then the second level progenies would have a different title. But I don't think people should be able to do it many times or there will be balance issues, and it will affect the game in a weird way, as in a large part of the game becomes playing the progeny system... I really wouldn't like that. I think it should just be an extra feature to go the extra mile to buff your character and offer max level players the chance to run back through the content again with newer players. But I begin to digress... :P

This post was edited by Kaen at August 3, 2017 8:06 PM PDT
    • 763 posts
    August 3, 2017 11:27 PM PDT

Forgive me if this strays a bit towards 'progeny mechanics', but it is hard to illustrate my suggested title system for them (dependent on a few 'assumptions' about them) without making a few points concerning the mechanics; albeit in a loose way.

For the next part, I will assume: [NOTE #1]
          1. Progeny requires 'deletion' of the character in favour of a new replacement character,
          2. Progeny can start at less than max-level (say, Level20),
          3. Progeny can PROBABLY be able to chance Class,
          4. Progeny can POSSIBLY be able to change Race,
          5. Progeny can 'inherit' some/many/all items
          6. Progeny can 'inherit' some/many/proportion of faction

On this basis, when you make a 'progeny' you generate 'Progeny Points'. (Consider like AA exp if you like)
    The number of 'Progeny Points' generated will depend on many things: [POINT values are illustrative only]

2. Level : points - Level squared. Eg Lev20 = 400, Lev 50 = 2500
    3. Class : points - (same) = 200, (slight diff) = 100, (very Diff) = 50
    4. Race : points - (same) = 300, (slight diff) = 150, (very Diff) = 75
    5. Items : points - (none kept) = 1000, (no-Drop only) = 500, (some) = 250, (most) = 125, (all) = 50
    6. faction : points - (none) = 200, (25% good/bad) = 100, (50% good/bad) = 50, (75% good/bad) = 25

In a full explanation of this suggested version of Progeny, you would be able to spend these points on many things ....
    but for now let us merely consider 'Titles'!

Tier-1 titles (common) = 1000+ points
    Tier-2 titles (uncommon) = 1750+ points
    Tier-3 titles (rare) = 3000+ points
    Tier-4 titles (Ultra-rare) = 5000+ points
    Tier-5 titles (Unique per server) = 7500-10000 points

A. Most people who use the progeny system under level 50 will likely not bother with a title.
          Since in my 'system' they could also use these points for small 'perks'.

B. Titles above Tier-2 will be RARE on any given server.
          They would need more than one iteration of the progeny system to do so.

C. Players can choose between 'Progeny Perks', avoiding 'cookie-cutter' look/feel
          With 'perks' and 'titles' both taking from the same pool of points, players will differ greatly.

I have not defined exactly what would constiutute Tier-1 to Tier-5 titles, but I leave it for others to suggest these should they consider my suggestion has some merit.

[Note #1] : Non-Deletion progeny methods can also fit into this system, merely by offerring fewer points per level.

Evoras, might go for 'Master Summoner' title at 1999 points cost...

This post was edited by Evoras at August 3, 2017 11:30 PM PDT
    • 32 posts
    October 22, 2018 12:17 PM PDT

I would prefer progency titles to be fairly simple.

Hushed Jr

Hushed III

Hushed IV

Hushed V

Hushed VI

etc.