Forums » News and Announcements

Check out our new promo video!

• 125 posts
    July 17, 2017 7:00 PM PDT

For in-house and what it was meant to convey I loved it.... Aradune gets 1 shotted.... "but bring friends"... made me smile.

This post was edited by Aatu at July 17, 2017 7:33 PM PDT
    • 542 posts
    July 17, 2017 7:04 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Please keep in mind a few things, this was done 100% in-house and it is an intentional "cheesy-humorous" advertisement for San Diego ComicCon 2017 that we decided to share with everyone, it is clearly labelled "pre-Alpha" (closed development pre-alpha) to show off progress and get some eyes on our development, nothing more!

We even have bus wraps with QR codes that came out great.

Those bus stops are gigantic compared to the ones in EU lol at least twice the size,ogre size :D
    That it is gigantic is a good thing to show off some of the Pantheon stuff <3

The video got me more excited and things can only get better from here on
    Some of the effects and landscapes look amazing already
    What amused me most was the face from the boss for some reason I can't explain,when the dude took on the boss solo the face seemed more vibrant
    While he seemed all grim and blue at the end when the whole group arrived,still with that same face :D The boss has the potential to become a pose god <3

• 42 posts
    July 17, 2017 7:06 PM PDT

The bus wraps are absolutely awesome

• 626 posts
    July 17, 2017 7:25 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Please keep in mind a few things, this was done 100% in-house and it is an intentional "cheesy-humorous" advertisement for San Diego ComicCon 2017 that we decided to share with everyone, it is clearly labelled "pre-Alpha" (closed development pre-alpha) to show off progress and get some eyes on our development, nothing more!

We even have bus wraps with QR codes that came out great.

Video was great, but these bus posters are the bomb! :)

• 17 posts
    July 17, 2017 8:23 PM PDT

I enjoyed the video and liked the emphasis on bringing friends. My friends and I always throw a LAN party to watch the Pantheon streams, and we can't wait to be in-game together. I get that it was cheesy and a turn off for some, but I still think people who don't know about the game will be curious once they see it. :)

Those bus wraps, though, are amazing. That would make me stop in the middle of the street and look the game up.

• 429 posts
    July 17, 2017 8:33 PM PDT

I'd take a bus just to see those bus wraps . I thought the video was great cheesy and all :)

• 1399 posts
    July 17, 2017 9:41 PM PDT

I'm not near as critical of the video as some, but i did see a few thing's about the game play that could have been, covered.

The shot of the Gnome casting... his movement was way to fast, that shouldn't have been used or maybe a diferant spell with slower movement.

Battle scenes with (most obvious) the monk wuth 3ft long legs kicking from 10ft away... easy fix just move him closer .

Aside from those little pre alpha nit picks I think it was great, voice was great, the message was great,  the graphics were great. I dident see any lag or bad transitions some are reporting. Was a nice pre alpha treat.  Thanks!

Now those Bus Banners. Way cool! And something I would buy for the wall of my home office or my gurage. I always have and always will speak out against an in game cash shop. But I see nothing wrong with Visionary Realms maintaining a store on the web page for after release for promotional Items. I hope you keep everything for these banners arround to offer as some of those items to be sold.. (assuming VR decides they want to sell promo and collector items)

This post was edited by Zorkon at July 17, 2017 9:42 PM PDT
    • 17 posts
    July 17, 2017 9:57 PM PDT

Thats awesome , love it and has me super hyped!

• 159 posts
    July 18, 2017 2:47 AM PDT

Colour me stoked! I found the video funny and visually very good, namely the lighting, the torches and casting vfx. Yes, I think the animations, water textures and whatnot can and probably will be improved. But I think it speaks volumes that VR are showing actual game footage instead of throwing piles of cash at a studio to produce a video that won't look at all like the real Pantheon.

As for the bus wrappers - OMG those look amazing. If I weren't already aware of Pantheon I'd be scanning that QR code or googling the game on the spot.

Congratulations on these initiatives and I hope to see more of Pantheon and VR out there in the coming months. But please remember not everyone uses Twitter, Facebook, Twitch or whatever social network is trending right now. Maybe pitch a story about Pantheon and its development so far to sites such as Ars Technica or actual gaming sites - I'm certain you'd make many people curious to know more.

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    July 18, 2017 5:34 AM PDT
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As we continue to raise awareness about Pantheon, it's great to understand what's working and what isn't.
    While we're not quite ready to do a full on assault, this was a good opportunity to have some fun and get a few new eyes on us at SDCC. I'd like to think the bus shelter ads accomplish the initial intrigue and the video gives a little glimpse of what we're up to.
    The overly dramatic start to the video was indeed purposeful and the "bring friends" was always the exclamation point. I don't know if "cheesy" would be the word i'd use. Maybe " tongue and cheek" ;)

As we develop the game further -both graphically and on the promotional side-you'll be seeing bigger and better things.
    • 2138 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:33 AM PDT

For what it is, I liked it. You are showing actual, in game art and not a stylized animated version. At first I thought it was the same satirwell but with different seasons. 

I liked the scene of seeing the one knight die- but then coming back around the corner with- everyone! (I was like- there's joppa! and zynxs!..heh)

• 416 posts
    July 18, 2017 9:12 AM PDT

Loved the video, let's you know what Pantheon is all about without hitting you over the head. Time to go back for a second look.

• 2752 posts
    July 18, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

Always nice to get out there and drum up a little intrigue. Make sure to keep the "PRE ALPHA" bold.

In a few years people will have to make new terms, pre pre pre alpha will still end up reading as beta to people with all these other companies releasing "early access" games the second there is even an interface made, which then gets reviewed as though a full release. 

• 454 posts
    July 18, 2017 12:05 PM PDT

I love the video.  Especially if that's pre-alpha! The posters are great, and I wish I could have those around my computer (hint hint).  I never even noticed the voice talent until the fifth time I watched it!

This post was edited by Questaar at July 18, 2017 12:05 PM PDT
    • 103 posts
    July 18, 2017 12:19 PM PDT

Those bus wrappers...They brough a tear to my eye :') They're dope af, like...it just leaves me breathless. And on another note, I agree with Zorkon. I can just picture having those in my bedroom, I really hope you guys decide to have some sort of store (thats not IG, because I know you guys are against that) that you can buy mugs, art, shirts, and the likes! I'd probably be willing to fork over some money, seeing I wouldn't be spending any money for in game stuff.

And for the video, well done! Great voice actor, graphics weren't half bad for the most part...really hated the "in a world of magic" bit, but I can look pass that seeing that part of this video's purpose was just to be cheesy lol

• 160 posts
    July 18, 2017 2:00 PM PDT

I would imagine at this point in development spending shrimp money on advertising is hard when you're on a cheeseburger diet. It was good for what it was.

edit - I noticed the dodge on the question about almost to pre-alpha ;)

This post was edited by Nuggie at July 18, 2017 2:01 PM PDT
    • 363 posts
    July 18, 2017 2:27 PM PDT

If someone gave you guys $10 Million to make a promo video, bet some people would still complain. Look, the Team doesn't have a ton o' cash to make jaw-dropping promos. For what they did, in house, I thought it was pretty good. Could it have been better? Sure, but I would rather they spent their $$ making the game instead of some CGI Oscar Award Winning Video. Good video and love the bus posters.

• 3016 posts
    July 18, 2017 2:56 PM PDT

Brought tears to my eyes VR...you have come SO far!!  Wonderful and impressive...love the billboard ads too!!    This is happening Fellas :)    *hugs!*     Cana

• 110 posts
    July 19, 2017 2:58 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

If someone gave you guys $10 Million to make a promo video, bet some people would still complain. Look, the Team doesn't have a ton o' cash to make jaw-dropping promos. For what they did, in house, I thought it was pretty good. Could it have been better? Sure, but I would rather they spent their $$ making the game instead of some CGI Oscar Award Winning Video. Good video and love the bus posters.

I am with this poster.  People are pretty quick to judge, when clearly promo videos on more then one occasion have been deceiving.  You know the kind of games we are talking about.

Look what all those expensive promo videos did for Star Wars the Old Republic.  Most expensive game ever in developement saw a mass exodus inside 6 months after launch.  Promo viedos mean sh&$.  Had this video been stick figures I'd of not cared.  Its the ideology of less is more.  Look at all those games in the past that boasted about being the "WoW killer"  tell me where all those games are today hmmmm?  I'd rather have an in house video showing actual game footage rather then some 2 million dollar smoke screen of BS.  So if you are easily wow'ed by pretty lights showing all those CGI pretty boy videos have at it.  Me....I'll settle for something that shows the passion of the dev team, and shows that this dev team gets it.  Have a great day, and VR keep all your videos in house, don't waste your moeny on fake BS.

• 213 posts
    July 19, 2017 3:50 PM PDT

The mixed reviews on this Promo video are just proof that you can't make everyone happy.  =P

To VR I say keep doing your thing guys, I think the video was awesome and I'm really happy it wasn't CGI to be honest because I think CGI always paints an unrealistic view and expectation of what the game will be.   Most times I skip them and go right to actual gameplay videos before I buy something.  

• 542 posts
    July 19, 2017 4:12 PM PDT

Also appreciate the transparency
    Many of those so called tripple A companies paint an unrealist view with their CGI indeed

Along with Starwars ,you can count Elderscrolls with those games where it looked like they didn't know where they were taking it;creating an animation film or creating a game.
    If nothing from the game is recognizable in the promo video it is as Evorus mentions, a deceiving video.
    And spending so much on a video that looks nothing like what the promo is for;promoting the game ,that imo is mismanagement.
    Money thrown away
    because afterwards people will complain anyway that the promo vid looks nothing like the game once they get their hands on it.
    Promo vids are often smoke and mirrors not worth the effort.
    Instead Art,wallpapers,bus wraps to raise awareness etc have much more value and purpose imo

Graphic-wise,it looks like some of those landscapes are already on par (or nicer) than some of the landscapes in elderscrolls online.
    It tells a lot if there is an area where you are about to outshine them lol.
    In the end there is not enough graphics in the world that can make a game fun
    If only people could see that

This post was edited by Fluffy at July 19, 2017 4:15 PM PDT
    • 238 posts
    July 19, 2017 6:50 PM PDT

Guess I’m in the boat that this video probably did more harm than good. I would not show that to a friend if it was the first time they would be seeing the game. When going for first impressions (which are still most people) you don’t want to do it as “joking and fun” because they probably don’t interpret it that way. They are looking for quality in official videos and that looks like someone just put it together overnight. Some people in this forum would clap for anything at this point as long as they thought a dev might see their support. We need honesty here, not blind loyalty.

• 110 posts
    July 19, 2017 7:06 PM PDT

Xonth said:

Guess I’m in the boat that this video probably did more harm than good. I would not show that to a friend if it was the first time they would be seeing the game. When going for first impressions (which are still most people) you don’t want to do it as “joking and fun” because they probably don’t interpret it that way. They are looking for quality in official videos and that looks like someone just put it together overnight. Some people in this forum would clap for anything at this point as long as they thought a dev might see their support. We need honesty here, not blind loyalty.

Everybody has an opoinion and yours is just as important.  Only thing I would suggest is not labeling people as blind followers or trying to put them in the lime light by saying they just want to be seen by or noticed by the devs.  Its kind of irrisponsible on your part to even suggest that in a forum designed for devs to get the opinions from those who frequent this sight.  Have a great evening.

• 9115 posts
    July 19, 2017 10:13 PM PDT

Xonth said:

Not sure what boat that is but it must be a very small leaky one, I hope you have a life jacket on! :D

In all seriousness, you can dislike it, that's fine but our feedback and stats paint a very different picture with overwhelming support verbally, written and financially, the website numbers are up, pledge sales are up, all official platforms are up in views, reach and positive feedback plus the video itself on YouTube has over 12k views in less than 36 hours with  403 likes vs 23 dislikes and a huge majority of positive comments, so I really don't understand the "joining the negative side" type of mentality, if you don't like then that's fine man, that is your prerogative, hopefully, you will like the next one, we can't please everyone though, nor will we try.

• 542 posts
    July 20, 2017 2:11 AM PDT

People nowadays have such high expectations about graphics that they are so misguided they wouldn't even be able to recognize the good qualities of a game when they see them.
    And perhaps all the promo vids of those games where you'd think it is rather an intro to an animation film than a game, is a reflection of how companies try to please crowds with misguided,unrealistic expectations:
    the underlying meaning that the qualities most people are looking for, is no longer a realistic representation of good qualities in a game.Just like how these intro's to games are like the intro of an animation film and not a game.

Also expectations back in the days vs expectations at the present time:
    Behold the combat animations of one of the best games ever made(along with the recent King's quest,which is the best modern game I've played in a long while,an exemplary game ,also when it comes to lighthearted humor)

Also pleased that the actions speak louder than the words, with the gain in support for Pantheon.

This post was edited by Fluffy at July 20, 2017 2:23 AM PDT