Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon PVP Forum?

• 189 posts
    July 14, 2017 2:14 PM PDT

Was just curious why one of these hasn't already been added? I know Pantheon's main focus is PVE and I'm mostly interested in just the PVE.... But, it was mentioned that PVP was going to be added and some what focused on to a degree for players who liked a bit of both?

I feel some topics could atleast be discussed amongst the PVPers and they don't have to keep dropping in the forums spamming "PVP?" "PVP forum yet?" "Any news on PVP"?

It's usually he same people. And while I wouldn't mind trying out a PVP server, I am curious what you guys have in mind for adding it to the game. There are different players. Some who still like the PVE but love a little mix of PVP. But not to the degree they have to deal with trolls that won't allow them to progress. And then theirs players that just love to cause mass chaos and frustration. Even if it's for people who are 30 lvls lower than them. 

And since the game IS in fact mostly focused on PVE. How is that going to mix with PVP on a PVP shard/server? Is there gonna be some form of mass slaughter in dungeons? Are people even going to be able to do the content? Or are they going to be watching their backs the entire time for a guild zerg who is strictly there to just ruin peoples day?

I like my own mix of PVP with PVE. I played Rift, Archeage, WoW, Warhammer. Each had a bit of both, some more focused on PVP or PVE than others. Rift seemed to have a pretty good mix IMO with the open world, conquest, and warfronts, as well as Raids, dungeons, rifts, questing, and even raid rifts that attracted people from all over the server.

With that being said; Is there any upcoming news on PVP? Why is there no PVP Forum for those who are mostly interested in PVP to ask and discuss questions? Is there any more detail on what VR's vision is for PVP in Pantheon? Open world? Limited to certain zones? Battlegrounds/Warfront queues?

(I did use the search function and could not find anything. Feel free to share some links and then close the topic if I missed a discussion post)

This post was edited by fancy at July 14, 2017 2:15 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    July 14, 2017 2:15 PM PDT

Seconded.

A stickied post outlining (even vaguely) the design intent behind Pantheon's PvP would also probably answer enough questions to stop threads from popping up about it.

• 9115 posts
    July 14, 2017 6:20 PM PDT

When we move to the new forums and have more information to release on PvP, I had intended to have a separate PvP section for PvP lovers to discuss all things PvP but right now, we don't have anything new while we work on the base PvE game ;)

• 189 posts
    July 15, 2017 1:49 PM PDT

That will be awesome. I'd love to see some of the discussions that they will have and what your guys' idea is for PVP. I love PVP myself, but I will most likely main on a PVE server (family doesn't like PVP so much). I would love to try out Pantheons version of PVP, though.

Thanks for the info, Kilsin. I'll share it with those who ask about it in the future.

This post was edited by fancy at July 15, 2017 1:50 PM PDT
    • 221 posts
    July 15, 2017 3:39 PM PDT
    We have a very unbalanced and if you want, god mode pvp system now. :-). I've killed most of the team with GM kill one time or another. My best pvp is when I killed Joppa tho. I GM flew way up in the sky and then summoned him so he would fall to his death. I know this isn't what the OP wanted but I couldn't help myself :-).
    • 189 posts
    July 15, 2017 4:09 PM PDT

This is actually the most beautiful bit I've heard of you guys messing around in game. It's awesome to hear you guys kinda play jokes on each other and troll each other by summoning someone so high into the sky they fall and die.

Reminds me of using mounts in Archeage to bring AFK people to rivers and watch them drown. (little morbid D:)

• 221 posts
    July 15, 2017 4:13 PM PDT
    Lots of trolling and lolz at VR. Good times for sure.
    • 9115 posts
    July 15, 2017 5:40 PM PDT

Convo said: We have a very unbalanced and if you want, god mode pvp system now. :-). I've killed most of the team with GM kill one time or another. My best pvp is when I killed Joppa tho. I GM flew way up in the sky and then summoned him so he would fall to his death. I know this isn't what the OP wanted but I couldn't help myself :-).

Hahaha nice man, the old "summon of death" trick! I do that to myself sometimes to find good screenshots while "skydiving" :D

• 2886 posts
    July 16, 2017 9:37 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Convo said: We have a very unbalanced and if you want, god mode pvp system now. :-). I've killed most of the team with GM kill one time or another. My best pvp is when I killed Joppa tho. I GM flew way up in the sky and then summoned him so he would fall to his death. I know this isn't what the OP wanted but I couldn't help myself :-).

Hahaha nice man, the old "summon of death" trick! I do that to myself sometimes to find good screenshots while "skydiving" :D

That's awesome lol. Any good photographer will put their bodies on the line to get the perfect shot :P

• 9115 posts
    July 16, 2017 5:32 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Kilsin said:

That's awesome lol. Any good photographer will put their bodies on the line to get the perfect shot :P

Hahaha, that's what I keep telling myself but it is just so much fun! :P

• 44 posts
    May 1, 2018 6:37 PM PDT

Hello VR,

I didnt see this post as I made my own PVP post. I wanted to say, I know there isnt anything new for PVP because you guys are still working on the base game. But, we could use a single place to talk about stuff, and then itll be there for you guys to look at whenever you are ready to start a red server. It would give us a seperate place to inquire about guilds away from people who dont want to form up a PVE guild....because as you know...Red Server is for special who arent quite right in the head...like me ;)

• 22 posts
    May 24, 2018 1:49 PM PDT

For people like myself there needs to be a place/section for us like minded people to find unity. I understand that the game is built around PvE which is totally awesome but there is a flip side to that for people like minded that purely PvE to advance in character development to strictly kill other players. When I get a new item, first thought is will this be good in PvP, resist/damage etc.

It’s a special type of person that loves PvP competition and obviously there is wayyyyyy more PvE (blue) players than red, but doesn’t mean we don’t need a place to talk together. Finding anything about PvP here is a hunt imo I see being a central place as a good thing. If you mention anything about PvP anywhere near a blue player they immediately go defensive thinking your going to corrupt pixels.

Please add a PvP section. If I’m blind and just haven’t found it? Please point me there, thanks!

edit: there is over 2k views on this one post, that isn’t enough interest to start something?

This post was edited by Dreadstar at May 24, 2018 1:56 PM PDT
    • 162 posts
    May 24, 2018 9:30 PM PDT

Lol, I'm not usually the one to say this kind of thing... but... Videos or it didn't happen!!!!

• 89 posts
    May 24, 2018 11:46 PM PDT

Dreadstar said:

edit: there is over 2k views on this one post, that isn’t enough interest to start something?

I have absolutely zero interest in PvP (in this game or other MMOs. I prefer PvP in games that are designed as PvP games from the bottom up, e.g. first person shooters, EVE Online, Chess et.c.).

The reason I viewed this post (and why others viewed it I am sure) is because I like to stay updated and to gleam some insight into the ideas and thoughts from players who are interested in something for the game that I myself have no interest in.

Personally I don't want PvP in the game simply because there are already enough MMOs out there with PvP as part of the game, the end-game goal and even mandatory PvP (e.g. Black Desert).

Some PvP on a specific server, e.g. how Everquest had a PvP server where you were always PvP flagged, sure.

But PvP on the regular servers? Absolutely not. I don't even want to see an option to PvP flag yourself on the regular servers. A /duel maybe, but nothing more.

Class, skill, spells, weapons, items, talents all being balanced for PvP? Absolutely not.

Special 'war' zones, battlegrounds, world PvP and other features or zonewide design to cater to PvP? Absolutely not.

They have been advertising this game as a group-focused PvE game which is why I have been backing the game, and I expect them to committ fully to that without distracting the development towards PvP content.

So saying there is enough interest for PvP just from the views the thread has gained would be incorrect. I would argue that the dis-interest in PvP has pulled in at least as many people to view the topic since they are curious if Pantheon is going to shift towards PvP, which is something many (including myself) don't want.

• 22 posts
    May 25, 2018 2:58 AM PDT

This is a PvE focused game, that is correct... although there is alternative reasons to want to PvE. Like I stated above I PvE to get items ( I enjoy good challenging PvE fights, but ultimately I’m doing it to kill people better ) to better my PvP character, to fight over spawns, to take spawns from people by killing them, maybe even getting item loot (a man can dream). It was already stated there will be a server just for PvP by brad himself, no need to worry PvErs, your safe To role play and enjoy the game as you wish. It’s also said that PvP server would made after PvE focus is done which is excellent.

the real truth is without the funding of PvE minded people this dream wouldn’t happen, I respect that. There is a ton of blue players compared to red mindset players, that still doesn’t mean to disregard our opinions and I dint see the harm in having a place to chat in a general section to not piss off the PvE people.

You have a very narrow view on what pvprs are wanting, not to try to pick on you. I’ve played every single PvP oriented game since ultima online, to your surprise there is a large crowd of people that want specific PvP servers to relive rallos zek, sullon zek. As for “PvP” games on the market, they are complete junk lack content which EQ had. I still infact play PvP EQ emu’s to this day (logged into one as we speak) 

Just for peace of mind for you, 99% of the true pvp mindset people don’t want anything to do with role playing/blue servers, I’ve never played one and never will. The issue is why I bring that up is just like you just did, mention PvP anywhere on the forums and all the blue players come out with pitch forks trying to stab us, ”don’t touch or affect my pve roleplaying“

ill repeat this again so it’s clear, we don’t want anything to do with a blue server or the roleplaying. There may be some that are in between and that’s fine, the casual pvprs. For the hardcore red, PvP community somewhere is needed to talk without having random blue people that want to defend their pixel glory, no one is trying to take your safe haven. There is more of us than you think that are waiting for PvP or just a place to discuss common interest.

This post was edited by Dreadstar at May 25, 2018 3:42 AM PDT
    • 89 posts
    May 25, 2018 3:19 AM PDT

Dreadstar said:

This is a PvE focused game, that is correct... although there is alternative reasons to want to PvE. Like I stated above I PvE to get items ( I enjoy good challenging PvE fights, but ultimately I’m doing it to kill people better ) to better my PvP character, to fight over spawns, to take spawns from people by killing them, maybe even getting item loot (a man can dream). It was already stated there will be a server just for PvP by brad himself, no need to worry PvErs, your safe To role play and enjoy the game as you wish. It’s also said that PvP server would made after PvE focus is done which is excellent.

the real truth is without the funding of PvE minded people this dream wouldn’t happen, I respect that. There is a ton of blue players compared to red mindset players, that still doesn’t mean to disregard our opinions and I dint see the harm in having a place to chat in a general section to not piss off the PvE people.

You have a very narrow view on what pvprs are wanting, not to try to pick on you. I’ve played every single PvP oriented game since ultima online, to your surprise there is a large crowd of people that want specific PvP servers to relive rallos zek, sullon zek. As for “PvP” games on the market, they are complete junk lack content which EQ had. I still infact play PvP EQ emu’s to this day (logged into one as we speak) 

Just for peace of mind for you, 99% of the true pvp mindset people don’t want anything to do with role playing/blue servers, I’ve never played one and never will. The issue is why I bring that up is just like you just did, mention PvP anywhere on the forums and all the blue players come out with pitch forks trying to stab us, ”don’t touch or affect my pve roleplaying“

ill all repeat this again, we don’t want anything to do with a blue server or the talks that go along with it. There may be some that are in between and that’s fine, the casual pvprs. For the hardcore red, PvP community somewhere is needed to talk without having random blue people that want to defend their pixel glory. There is more of us than you think.

I understand where you are coming from with wanting PvP. As mentioned I enjoy PvP myself as well, but in another setting (primarily games designed with PvP in mind). What I don't understand is why should there be an expectation to see PvP in a game like Pantheon that has clearly and loudly been proclaimed as a group focused PvE game?

Wanting PvP out of it is almost like going to Battlefield forums and wanting a subforum for PvE and PvE servers. Or going to Stardew Valley and asking for PvP options. It doesn't really make sense considering the games direction, goal and visions.

Noone is out to get others with pitchforks, but certainly there can't be much surprise that players who are invested in this game specifically because it WON'T be focused on PvP at all are going to be reacting when there is suddenly discussions going about when PvP will be added, and how it will be and how to balance different classes, spells and abilities (which is precisely what will be discussed in a PvP subforum).

If PvP servers are maybe going to be a thing sometime in the distant future after the PvE focus is done (which is a weird thing to say considering PvE focus will never be done if they plan to keep updating the game with new classes, new areas to explore, new races and what more) then the right time for PvP subforums and PvP discussions would be when that time has arrived. Which isn't for years yet.

Right now the focus is on PvE, as it should be, and distracting that discussion with PvP which is not coming for years and even then will be a minor thing (just a server with perma-pvp flags on) is counter-productive to the goals of getting a PvE game ready.

• 2756 posts
    May 25, 2018 3:26 AM PDT

Don't be offended, @Dreadstar, there's some anti-PvP sentiment around.  I believe it's considered to be part of the downfall and ruination of the MMO genre.  There's some justification for that since a lot of modern MMOs have it as their focus and, as you've implied, the PvE is just for training and gearing up and causing fights.

Even in games where it's not the focus, it's obviously a considerable development effort and will, then, of course have detracted from the PvE effort.

Even in games where it's not a special development, it can effect balance of PvE and the focus of the development.

Even in games where it's supposedly a total afterthought and bolt-on (which is where Pantheon seems to fall) it worries those looking for a PvE renaissance that the devs might 'slip' and 'do the PvP thing'.

So. "there is over 2k views on this one post, that isn’t enough interest to start something?". Yeah, I'm afraid I only popped in here to make sure VR weren't 'slipping' and putting effort into PvP.

I'd be fine with VR simply finishing development and copying a server, allowing PvP and just handing it over, but I really really really want VR to concentrate every effort on making PvE exemplary.

• 22 posts
    May 25, 2018 3:31 AM PDT

Not sure why you think anyone is wanting flagged PvP on your PvE server. We want a pure always PvP flagged server like rallos or sullon. Your missing the point on having a PvE game with PvP oriented goals in it, to fight over to compete over, to spill blood exploring.

Brad has already said there will be a PvP server, maybe a few depending on demand. That being said I agree the PvE side of things need to get finished to even have something to fight over PvP wise, I just don’t see the endless continuation of development before we even think about PvP servers. Especially a place to even talk about it, I dont see the harm in having a sub forum labeled PvP. Currently saying PvP in this PvE community is like blasphemy. I think your forgetting all the pvprs that are funding it just like you are. 

again, the PvP server would have zero affect on your roleplaying server. Literally copy and paste a PvE server with some minor balancing/coding that wouldn’t change anything on a blue server.

This post was edited by Dreadstar at May 25, 2018 3:40 AM PDT
    • 89 posts
    May 25, 2018 3:47 AM PDT

Not so sure there are huge amounts of PvP players funding this game comparative to those just wanting PvE considering who the developers have been reaching out to in all their statements and the vision of the game.

Also, not all PvE servers are roleplaying servers. A majority of PvE players enjoy just the PvE without needing to roleplay. That's something additional for some people, and always was (as evident by Everquest and other games having specific RP servers for those players).

PvE is about having fun, making friends, forming groups, fighting challenging dungeons, collaborating to build a guild, help eachother through crafting and possibly move on to raids and/or harder content. The motivation for playing PvE is very similar to that of playing single-player game like Skyrim, but having the added bonus of being able to do it with friends.

Skyrim with multiplayer is one way to look at why PvE is interesting for many. Collaboration is the key word. Working together, as a team, to overcoming obstacles presented by the game.

Now, if you dislike that part of the game and rather want to fight other players then there are already dozens, if not hundreds, of other games that enable people to do just that. You say you don't like the PvP in those games, but how do you even know you would like PvP in this game then, when PvP is not even the main focus of this game (as it is in many other games) and any PvP here would just be something latched on at some point when resources might be freed up from concentrating on the PvE aspects?

Again, coming to a game specifically aimed at PvE and wanting PvP is like going to Stardew Valley, Sims and other straight up PvE games and wanting PvP. Why? When there are so many other games that are tailored towards PvP? Especially when you know a large part of the community in a PvE game are going to be riled up and frustrated when PvP "yet again, for the N'th time" is going to start bleeding into the game they want to enjoy with nothing but a focus on PvE?

This is the part that makes people frustrated. I thought this would be self-evident.

• 26 posts
    May 25, 2018 4:02 AM PDT

I don't think it's that odd to want satisfying PvP in Pantheon. It's just another thing that makes it richer, and just because player priorities can vary doesn't mean they don't appreciate the whole of the game.

You could say that it's odd to be so bent on PvP for a game that clearly does not focus on it and will not be balanced around it. I'm personally 90% sure I'll roll on a PvE server, and when I want to PvP I will launch a game that was actually designed as a tightly balanced PvP game, but on the other hand, I think it makes complete sense for someone who enjoys the spirit of the game, the tenets, the world itself to want to have their PvP experience here. It's a compliment, really. 

So I think it's absolutely a good point that there should be a PvP subforum because "Zek" styled servers are pretty much confirmed. I imagine that forum will come in time, but for now the development is just not touching on PvP at all yet. VR staff literally said as much above, so yeah.

Really though, "roleplaying server"? "pixel glory"? Aren't you choosing Pantheon as a PvPer for the exact same reasons the PvE crowd is choosing Pantheon? It's odd to be so condescending for someone with your particular wish.

This post was edited by Raine at May 25, 2018 4:09 AM PDT
    • 22 posts
    May 25, 2018 4:25 AM PDT

I think your over looking there will be a PvP server, EQ has/had great PvP, arguably the best counter play PvP ever done in any mmo with some minor tweaks. You keep mentioning all these other PvP games “go play one of those and leave this game alone” I explained, this game has content (PvE/story/quests/locations) to fight over, PvE to help gear up to make PvP better etc. This I don’t think is a concept you will ever understand from your statements. We have entirely different views and experiences with games of what you think “PvP” games are, I can see that very clear.

Again you keep saying why bring PvP up in a PvE based game, answer is.... it’s not only a PvE based game stop trying to condition yourself thinking it is. Yes PvE is the main focus but there will be a PvP server after PvE baseline is created. Verified by VR, they may not be very loud about it because most of the funding they are trying to keep happy is from the PvE crowd. But for certain when they are developing the spells and classes PvP is going into consideration, you may not like it... but it’s happening.

The whole purpose of me commenting on here is just a forum sub topic for like minded people to avoid the PvE focused crowd, not trying to bash with/why/how you think or I should the game be created. It’s simply a place to chat, without searching through the entire forum avoiding pitchforks.

The fact is there will be a PvP server 100% which means this is part of the design And should be talked about, not the only focus. PvE should be the main focus right now, players talking about PvP doesnt take away anything. I do find it funny you trying to passive aggressive explaining PvE servers to me, I’ve been mmo gaming for over 20+ yrs I think I get it just fine. ;)

• 22 posts
    May 25, 2018 4:35 AM PDT

Raine said:

I don't think it's that odd to want satisfying PvP in Pantheon. It's just another thing that makes it richer, and just because player priorities can vary doesn't mean they don't appreciate the whole of the game.

You could say that it's odd to be so bent on PvP for a game that clearly does not focus on it and will not be balanced around it. I'm personally 90% sure I'll roll on a PvE server, and when I want to PvP I will launch a game that was actually designed as a tightly balanced PvP game, but on the other hand, I think it makes complete sense for someone who enjoys the spirit of the game, the tenets, the world itself to want to have their PvP experience here. It's a compliment, really. 

So I think it's absolutely a good point that there should be a PvP subforum because "Zek" styled servers are pretty much confirmed. I imagine that forum will come in time, but for now the development is just not touching on PvP at all yet. VR staff literally said as much above, so yeah.

Really though, "roleplaying server"? "pixel glory"? Aren't you choosing Pantheon as a PvPer for the exact same reasons the PvE crowd is choosing Pantheon? It's odd to be so condescending for someone with your particular wish.

I am playing for the same reasons yes, but additional carnage based around that pixel glory. You are spot on about it’s another thing that makes pantheon richer and appreciating the entire game. I’m looking forward to the lore and the entirety of what vr has to offer.

to the role playing comment is just what ive experienced blue players doing, its mind blowing to me. I cannot play a game without having some means of slaying people in some way or form, just doesn’t make sense to me. To each his own, it’s like playing a console single player game imo, even if you can talk with other people. Just something I’m not into. Im not judging.

Yes I plan on playing a PvE server till PvP is available and the only reason for this is to have a understanding how and where to obtain loot to kill my enemies :) I do enjoy challenging encounters and PvE don’t get me wrong. Just have different mindset for end goals, when I see a item first thought is will this be good in pvp. 

This post was edited by Dreadstar at May 25, 2018 4:41 AM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    May 25, 2018 4:39 AM PDT

PVP on an interdependent class based game is usually a bit of a cluster unless it is the core of the base design and centered around the "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, and no Spock" concept.  That being said I think it will be nice when you crazy red players (a.k.a. = i suck at pvp and don't do it for the sake of my blood pressure) have a dedicated space to discuss the rules you want and the concerns you have with the understanding that you will get a percentage of developer time proportional to your percentage of the total game population.

• 22 posts
    May 25, 2018 4:45 AM PDT

Trasak said:

PVP on an interdependent class based game is usually a bit of a cluster unless it is the core of the base design and centered around the "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, and no Spock" concept.  That being said I think it will be nice when you crazy red players (a.k.a. = i suck at pvp and don't do it for the sake of my blood pressure) have a dedicated space to discuss the rules you want and the concerns you have with the understanding that you will get a percentage of developer time proportional to your percentage of the total game population.

Thank you for understanding, I shall spare you life *evil grin* 

just want a place to type/discuss with like minded people ;D

I have around 15 friends that have bought the 250$+ packages that play for the exact reasons I do, I know I’m not alone in this.

This post was edited by Dreadstar at May 25, 2018 4:48 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    May 25, 2018 7:36 AM PDT

This thread has gone way off-topic but since the request was for a pvp forum and the answer was that there will be one when the new forums come out I suppose that isn't a shock. Actually the answer was when the new forums come out AND when they have more pvp information. I am not sure that is the right answer - why not let those who care about pvp chatter away even with no information whatsoever about what you have in mind. It will keep them happy, and maybe you will get an idea or two out of it.

As a dedicated carebear for decades I will be perfectly happy if there is a pvp server as long as VR sticks to its announced plan to develop and balance classes for pve and not for pvp. I could even have characters there if a guild I am in has a pvp branch and needs help.